PDA

View Full Version : OA Samurai....what?

Kaeso
2012-08-05, 06:50 AM
Quick question: are AO samurai proficient with bastard swords (katana) or not? They start the game with a katana (masterwork bastard sword) and wakizashi (masterwork short sword), yet their proficiency with the katana isn't specifically stated in their profiencies, and the dragon school gives weapon profiency (katana) as a bonus feat. Am I supposed to believe that samurai start off not being proficient with their main weapon? :smallmad: What next? A wizard that can't cast spells until he lears the "spellcasting" feat which requires at least level 3?

GenghisDon
2012-08-05, 07:17 AM
It's 2 handed as a martial weapon (which they get).

Which is how they (nearly all) used the katana anyway.

Kaeso
2012-08-05, 07:23 AM
It's 2 handed as a martial weapon (which they get).

Which is how they (nearly all) used the katana anyway.

Oh, of course, I forgot all about that!
That's a shame, actually. You can upgrade the weapon on your own, which is pretty neat, but the katana is objectively sub-par compared to its big brother the greatsword.

EDIT: To continue on the subject, is it worth the trouble to gain proficiency in the katana and wield the katana and wakizashi at the same time (TWF)?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-05, 07:27 AM
That's a shame, actually. You can upgrade the weapon on your own, which is pretty neat, but the katana is objectively sub-par compared to its big brother the greatsword.

EDIT: To continue on the subject, is it worth the trouble to gain proficiency in the katana and wield the katana and wakizashi at the same time (TWF)?

The difference between a Katana used two-handed and a Greatsword is an average of 1.5 damage per hit. That may occasionally matter at levels 1-2, but after that it's not going to be a significant difference at all.

No. Going TWF over two-handed fighting is even more sub-par than using a Katana two-handed over a Greatsword.

GenghisDon
2012-08-05, 07:40 AM

It's not "optimal". It certainly makes a distinctive combatant (albiet that's not really true anymore, it's over done, nerfed & was foolishly always assumed to be a samurai's basic style pf combat)

I'd expect most OA games to contain better katana's than no-dachi & there IS the ancestral daisho ability to consider.

If one uses RAW 3.5 power attack rules, anything but 2hander style combat is inferior (I suggest that be remedied, but...)

Kaeso
2012-08-05, 08:06 AM
It's not "optimal". It certainly makes a distinctive combatant (albiet that's not really true anymore, it's over done, nerfed & was foolishly always assumed to be a samurai's basic style pf combat)

I'd expect most OA games to contain better katana's than no-dachi & there IS the ancestral daisho ability to consider.

If one uses RAW 3.5 power attack rules, anything but 2hander style combat is inferior (I suggest that be remedied, but...)

I see. So that makes the OA a great dip for one (or at best 2) levels, but nothing more than that. Thanks for the information guys!.

grarrrg
2012-08-05, 11:56 AM
the katana is objectively sub-par compared to its big brother the greatsword.

[google>search>copy/pasta]
That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bull that's going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

(One-Handed Exotic Weapon)
1d12 Damage
19-20 x4 Crit
+2 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon)
2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don't you think?
[/copy/pasta]

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-05, 12:54 PM
That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bull that's going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

1d12 Damage
19-20 x4 Crit
+2 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don't you think?
[/copy/pasta]

You have copy/past'ed a pack of lies.

While it's true that katanas are exceptionally well crafted swords with several unique properties, D&D just isn't granular enough in its depiction of weapons for those traits to matter. As far as how it's wielded and its weight are concerned, those being all D&D cares about, a katana is very comparable to a bastard sword. Even IRL skill and technique are infinitly more important than the weapon in a swordsman's hands.

If anyone likes I can pick the quoted's lies apart one at a time.

The Glyphstone
2012-08-05, 12:58 PM

While it's true that katanas are exceptionally well crafted swords with several unique properties, D&D just isn't granular enough in its depiction of weapons for those traits to matter. As far as how it's wielded and its weight are concerned, those being all D&D cares about, a katana is very comparable to a bastard sword. Even IRL skill and technique are infinitly more important than the weapon in a swordsman's hands.

If you do, we'll just laugh at you. That's one of the most famous /tg copypasta jokes of all time, taking it seriously means you are Doin It Rong.

Nerd-o-rama
2012-08-05, 12:59 PM

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss42/Crypt19/Foghorn-Leghorn-Thats-a-joke-son-You-missed-it-Flew-right-by-ya.jpg

wadledo
2012-08-05, 01:01 PM
If you do, we'll just laugh at you. That's one of the most famous /tg copypasta jokes of all time, taking it seriously means you are Doin It Rong.

It's true. WHHHITE TTEEEEEXT

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-05, 01:13 PM
I had not seen that particular joke before. :smallredface:

I guess I need to spend even -more- time on the internet. :smalltongue:

LeshLush
2012-08-05, 01:13 PM

HINT: I think he knows that.

Mari01
2012-08-05, 01:16 PM

1d12 Damage
19-20 x4 Crit
+2 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

[/copy/pasta]

Thank you for this. I never thought I'd see someone fall for it again. Today is a day of celebration.

Serafina
2012-08-05, 01:17 PM
First - that post may have been non-serious, but it still has to be ripped apart in case anyone takes it seriously. If it was a joke, no offense to grarrrg.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.Yeah, that's just not true. At all.

First of all, there is no singular superior type of sword. Swords are ultimately tools, and as with all tools each is designed for a specific task. Curved Blades are better for certain maneuvers and against certain armors than straight blades, who are better for other maneuvers and against other armors.
D&D just isn't precise enough to simulate that anyway.

Second, japanese smithing techniques aren't superior to european ones. Yeah, they had heat-treating and properly folded their steel - but so did european smiths. What's more, the enormous amounts of folding they had to do mostly had to be done to compensate for inferior iron they had access to.
Also, modern carbon steel is just plain better than anything mevieval smiths anywhere in the world could have produced, so that's not even relevant when comparing newly forged swords.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.That is just a blatant lie.
European-style plate armor did in fact get introduced in Japan later on.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/NanbanDo.jpg
Now why would they have done that if a Katana could just slice trough it?
For that matter, why would anyone have worn armor at all when their Uber-swords can cut trough it so easily - unless japanese armor is superior, but then why introduce european armor?

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan?Go buy an atlas. Or a globe. Or just open Google Maps. Japan is on the other side of the world from europe.

The fact is that Katanas aren't superior to all other swords. Their curved blade makes them better than a straight blade for a straight cut, but also makes them worse at other things (such as, incidentially, armor penetration or thrusting).
Given the simplicity of the D20-system, treating them as masterwork-weapons with comparable stats to another sword is perfectly alright. Even treating them as masterwork automatically is rather too much, since not all japanese swords were of the best possible quality. Although treating them as Bastard Swords is a bad decisions, because those are just bad. Longswords would be more appropriate (nevermind that a longsword is actually something else than what it is presented at in the D20 system, but whatever).

Edit:
So yeah, it's a joke. The whole "why didn't they conquer each other"-part pretty much gave it away. As i said above, it still needs some debunking and putting more accurate information out there is never a bad thing (unless its wasted effort, but given that this hardly was any effort and more of a cute little sidepost, welll...).

GenghisDon
2012-08-05, 01:20 PM
katana was a better sword than long/bastard. It's also a weapon from a time period several centuries later.

Medieval Euros never tried to conquer Japan because not a single one of them knew Japan even existed, how to travel that far if they had, & certainly not how to deal with the logistics of warfare at such range.

By the time of the katana, euros used pretty good guns. While it may be sad or even bad, guns vs swords (any) is a lopsided affair.

Mari01
2012-08-05, 01:21 PM
First - that post may have been non-serious, but it still has to be ripped apart in case anyone takes it seriously. If it was a joke, no offense to grarrrg.

Yeah, that's just not true. At all.

First of all, there is no singular superior type of sword. Swords are ultimately tools, and as with all tools each is designed for a specific task. Curved Blades are better for certain maneuvers and against certain armors than straight blades, who are better for other maneuvers and against other armors.

Second, japanese smithing techniques aren't superior to european ones. Yeah, they had heat-treating and properly folded their steel - but so did european smiths. What's more, the enormous amounts of folding they had to do mostly had to be done to compensate for inferior iron they had access to.
Also, modern carbon steel is just plain better than anything mevieval smiths anywhere in the world could have produced, so that's not even relevant when comparing newly forged swords.

That is just a blatant lie.
European-style plate armor did in fact get introduced in Japan later on.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/NanbanDo.jpg
Now why would they have done that if a Katana could just slice trough it?
For that matter, why would anyone have worn armor at all when their Uber-swords can cut trough it so easily - unless japanese armor is superior, but then why introduce european armor?

Go buy an atlas. Or a globe. Or just open Google Maps. Japan is on the other side of the world from europe.

The fact is that Katanas aren't superior to all other swords. Their curved blade makes them better than a straight blade for a straight cut, but also makes them worse at other things (such as, incidentially, armor penetration or thrusting).
Given the simplicity of the D20-system, treating them as masterwork-weapons with comparable stats to another sword is perfectly alright. Even treating them as masterwork automatically is rather too much, since not all japanese swords were of the best possible quality. Although treating them as Bastard Swords is a bad decisions, because those are just bad. Longswords would be more appropriate (nevermind that a longsword is actually something else than what it is presented at in the D20 system, but whatever).

Edit:
So yeah, it's a joke. The whole "why didn't they conquer each other"-part pretty much gave it away. As i said above, it still needs some debunking and putting more accurate information out there is never a bad thing (unless its wasted effort, but given that this hardly was any effort and more of a cute little sidepost, welll...).

What point is there in taking apart a joke, especially if you know it's a joke ahead of time? Q: Why did the chicken cross the road? A: Well that's nonsense. I've studied chickens all my life and blah blah blah.

Edit: grarrg what have you done. It's /tg all over again.

Serafina
2012-08-05, 01:30 PM
Because, sadly, some people still believe the myth that "Katanas=superior to all european swords". The part above was my standard 101 debunking routine for that particular claim. Maybe someone learns something interesting from it, or changes his or her mind.

Furthermore, i just enjoy debunking. If someone can make such a joke for his amusement, then i can debunk its content for my amusement, too.

And yes, i am well aware that the term longsword only refers to straight double-edged blades of up to 150 centimeters length that were used in the 14th- to 16th-century in Europe.
However, that's not how D&D treat them - D&D instead uses that as a generic term for one-handed straight blades of no particular epoch - or in proper terms, Arming Swords and its predecessors and decendants, such as Katzbalgers, Italian Sidewords or the swords used by the Vikings.
But since D&D-writes (and other fantasy writers) have for some reason decided that blades of 140 centimeters length were designed to be used one-handed (probably compensating for something), i said that giving a Katana the same stats as the sword they called "Longsword" would be fair.

danzibr
2012-08-05, 01:44 PM
Q: Why did the chicken cross the road? A: Well that's nonsense. I've studied chickens all my life and blah blah blah.
lol fillerfillerfiller

ima donkey
2012-08-05, 02:02 PM
My friend and his brother actually use many points of that joke in arguments that katanas are better than European swords but they are absolutely serious, they think samurai were the worlds best warriors, (they watch too many Asian movies) my counter argument is that in the time it takes to make one samurai you can train 20 guys with clubs how to fight and in real life numbers always win but they still disagree.

GenghisDon
2012-08-05, 02:08 PM
actually, testing seems to confirm the katana IS a superior weapon design. Japanese iron quality was actually very poor, but the quality was high due to the process used.

however, simular quality blades were made in barbarian, pre-christian europe, although only the very rich could afford such (kings & great chieftains)

The real problem comes from the apples to oranges nature of comparisons. Europe had long since abandoned the warrior elite class, along with it's expensive, high quality weaponry, by the time Japanese Samurai had the katana. The euros had switched to vastly more effective massed numbers of ill trained troops armed with poor/mediocre quality (often mass produced) gear.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-05, 02:22 PM
Since it's already started, I'll put in my two cents.
No, they really don't, I'm a bit of a Japanophile myself and even I can't agree with this.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) Um.... no. A fairly well crafted katana from an actual smith shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars tops.
and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.This is sort of possible. Though it is by no means unique to katanas. Not all steel is equal, some blends are softer than others. If a blade with a very hard edge is used to strike a fairly soft block of steel, it can in fact cut into, or even through, that block if enough force is behind it. Though this gets rapidly more unlikely the bigger the block is. The notion that the best swords can cut steel comes from the fact that when sword fighting was common, a warrior with a higher quality weapon would often cause his opponents blade to break in a clean line at the point of impact due to the microstructure of all steel. This gave the appearance of one sword cutting through another, thus the best swords "cut" through steel.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind. This is just plain wrong. A properly made katana is folded, maybe a dozen times. This does have the result of creating several thousand layers of steel, since katanas are made with two different grades of steel folded together. However, folding a blade more than 30 times homogenizes the two alloys into a single unit.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. There is some truth in this, but not much. Since european swords were generally made of a single homogenous piece of steel, they had to find a balance point between hardness, which affects how sharp the edge can be, and flexibility, which determines how far the blade can bend before it breaks as well as its propensity for developing microfractures. The katana side-steps this issue by haveing a softer metal folded into a harder metal, resulting in a softer, more durable spine, and a harder, sharper edge. The difference however is probably something more on the order of a katana being 1.15X as sharp, nowhere near the 3X suggested.
I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash. In the hands of an incredibly skilled master, maybe. Such a man could just as easily accomplish the same task with a european sword, or even a good battleaxe though.

This is just patently false. Read a history book and look at a map.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. While certainly better than a cheaply crafted short-sword, it's not significantly better than a masterfully crafted european blade.
Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

1d12 Damage
19-20 x4 Crit
+2 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

[/copy/pasta]

No, I don't think. As my point by point analsys shows, there's no reason to adjust the stats of a katana to something else. If you don't think bastard sword is a good match, you could just as easily use long-sword or greatsword stats, but there's absolutely no reason that a katana should be anything more than a masterwork martial weapon.

Do note, that while the word katana is generally used to describe any japanese sword, and indeed the word katana is often used by japanese people to describe any sword, the weapons for which the word was coined, the blades made by the master smith Katana, are in fact very specific weapons.

Palanan
2012-08-05, 02:40 PM
Well, I fell for that "joke" as well, although I'm afraid the humor misses me entirely.

This actually encourages me to spend less time on the internet, and more time watching the iridescent butterflies in my backyard.

*goes off to watch butterflies*

GenghisDon
2012-08-05, 02:53 PM
heh, good call:smallbiggrin:

jaybird
2012-08-05, 02:55 PM
facepalm.jpg

Aaaaaaaaanyways, yes, the Samurai is a terribad class that's been somewhat improved by Pathfinder.

Alabenson
2012-08-05, 03:02 PM

Yeah, that's just not true. At all.

Actually, one of the earlier editions of D&D had tables cross-referencing weapons and armor types to determine situational attack bonuses, but it was scrapped as being overly complicated.

lsfreak
2012-08-05, 03:09 PM
While we're on the topic of katana versus longsword, longswords had greater reach and were designed to allow parrying, while katana fighting generally relied on voiding (dodging). Halfswording and morthau (striking with the pommel) are not possible, at least not as easily, with katanas, and thus would possibly be less effective against extensive armor. And longswords have the false edge. While "what's better" is up in the air, we might be able to say longswords were more flexible weapons, or at least allow a greater flexibility on how they are wielded.

Mari01
2012-08-05, 03:18 PM
Well, I fell for that "joke" as well, although I'm afraid the humor misses me entirely.

This actually encourages me to spend less time on the internet, and more time watching the iridescent butterflies in my backyard.

*goes off to watch butterflies*

The humor was to point out how easily people could get wrapped up in something so simple as "Katanas can do X", and the lengths they would go to prove that their fantasy sword could indeed do X in real life. The flipside is people saying otherwise or saying that "If that's the case, then my Y can etc. etc."

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-05, 04:34 PM
While we're on the topic of katana versus longsword, longswords had greater reach and were designed to allow parrying, while katana fighting generally relied on voiding (dodging). Halfswording and morthau (striking with the pommel) are not possible, at least not as easily, with katanas, and thus would possibly be less effective against extensive armor. And longswords have the false edge. While "what's better" is up in the air, we might be able to say longswords were more flexible weapons, or at least allow a greater flexibility on how they are wielded.

Having handled reasonable facsimiles of both weapons, I can say with reasonable certaintly that while they do handle differently, neither is inherently more useable than the other. The differences in grips make almost no difference to how effectively you can strike someone with them, nor do the differences in blade shape make either markedly different for thrusting. The katana wouldn't punch through quite as thick an armor plate as the longsword, but a skilled swordsman aims for the gaps anyway. All in all, the man makes the weapon, the weapon itself is just a tool.

Katana's may, on the whole, have been slightly better in manufacture, but the difference in battle is utterly negligable until they've both been severely stressed by extensive use and/or poor care and maintainence.

grarrrg
2012-08-05, 04:57 PM
:eek:

To all those who GOT the joke, good for you.

To all those who did NOT get the joke, firstly, I did not come up with it, so don't blame the messenger.

Secondly:
[google>re-search>copy/pasta]
That's it. I'm sick of all this "stale old copypasta" bull that's going on in 4chan right now. Masterwork Bastard Sword copypasta deserves much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself wrote a genuine copypasta edit in /tg/ after 250 posts (that's about 3 days on the board) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even make cynical 4chan nerds rage with my copypasta.

4chan trolls spend years working on a single copypasta and repost it up to a million times to produce the finest greentext known to mankind.

Masterwork Bastard Sword threads are thrice as long as Flare threads and thrice as annoying for that matter too. Any thread furries can ruin, a Masterwork Bastard Sword edit can ruin better. I'm pretty sure a Bastard Sword pasta could easily bisect a 3.5E versus 4E thread with a simple sage.

Ever wonder why moderators never deleted any Masterwork Bastard Sword thread? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined trolls and their copypasta of destruction. Even when /tg/ was good, Anonymous saged the threads with the bastard sword copypasta first because their trolling power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Masterwork Bastard Sword is simply the best copypasta that 4chan has ever seen, and thus, require better recognition on 4chan. Here is the stat block I propose:

(Masterwork Copypasta) All trolls on the thread get +5 to rage checks, thread cannot be saged.

tl;dr = Bastard Sword pasta needs to be more effective on 4chan, see my new stat block.
[/copy/pasta]

P.S. I can do this all day. There's a whole FORUM or two full of this stuff....

jaybird
2012-08-05, 05:03 PM
^ This is why I wish the forum had a "like" feature.

grarrrg
2012-08-05, 05:06 PM
^ This is why I wish the forum had a "like" feature.

I like that ^this post just happened to start the 2nd page :smallsmile:

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-05, 05:12 PM
I was going to let it go since someone told me it was a joke, and I see it now, but the thread went in that direction anyway, so I figured, "what the hell."

What was the original topic again?

Edit: OA's samurai are proficient with the katana as a two-handed martial weapon, but they've got to spend a feat to get it as a one-hander. Fortunately, EWP Katana is on most of the clans' bonus feat lists.