PDA

View Full Version : [Changeling] Tornado Country (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Anarion
2012-08-05, 09:31 AM
“If everything isn't black and white, I say, "Why the hell not?"”
-John Wayne

Tornado Country

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249287)

June 10th, 2030. A Monday. Everyone went to church on Sunday one town over. They had Sunday dinner. Same as it's always been. Same as its always gonna be. Sometimes there's a new face, but they get put to work, right and proper and they learn the old ways. And that's that.

Jose Marquez had some work this Monday, however. Seems that one of his hands has gone missing. The fellow, named George, had gotten up bright and early, just like always. He took one of the tractors out into the fields, just like always. He went up and over the hills to some of the outer fields, just like always. But now it's noon and he still isn't back.

Now, Jose figures that it's probably just a broken down tractor and maybe a pack of coyotes or wolves or something keeping his hand out there. Nothing that can't be handled with a rifle and a wrench. But, best to keep on the safe side, just in case it needs some real work. That's why he called over Chuck right after lunch and told him to go figure out what happened and fix it. And it can be dangerous out on the prairie, so he suggested that Chuck take a few friends with him, just to be on the safe side. More hands to carry the packs at least, since catching a tractor a few hours out could take the better part of a day, and the better part of a day has already passed.

He hands Chuck a rifle to borrow and a little pack with 10 rounds of ammunition. Of course, he expects that little pack will still have 8 or more rounds left when you get back, but it never hurts to be careful.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-05, 10:46 PM
(alright then, the ball is a-rollin')

Monday mornings were unique in that they could either be the best of mornings, or the worst of mornings.

Chuck still held to the notion that Sunday was a day of rest. And not just because folks would give a working man the evil eye if they caught him out on the Sabbath. For all those...heck, he didn't pretend to know how long it was. For all that time spent in the devil's machines, he always hungered for just a few minutes rest, without fear of some imp sticking a cog where his last good elbow used to be. Now he not only could take a day off, but he had a whole town full of folks expecting him to. It'd be a crime to disappoint them. And he figured earning a few more points with the guy upstairs was handy for outrunning the devil himself.

The thing was, this meant the useless hunk of metal that was his car just sat idle for a day; both in the garage and in his metal-encrusted brain. If there was something he was trying to puzzle out on Saturday evening (and there always was), then there it would sit for all of Sunday. Come Monday morning, maybe he'd have figured what the problem was. He'd get up with the sun, fix it up right, and carry that little satisfaction with him the whole day through. But if it got to the afternoon, and he still had a lemon in the making, then his gears would be grinding until the moon came up again, cursing the infernal thing all the way.

This Monday, Jose's call saved him from muttering a few more choice words that'd be sure to cancel out the moral gains of a Sabbath rest. At least tractors were easy. They'd been built the same since somebody realized metal doesn't need daily feeding besides a little gas. The prairie was a different story. He'd hoped it had the decency to be at least a little like the plains back where he used to live, but he wasn't about to risk his hide on it. Some local help might make all the difference, and he knew just the man to ask.

He took the rifle and spare cartridges. Just feeling the grip of a gun again made him wish all the more he'd tracked down the family rifle before he left. Now there was a gun built to last. His mood turned a little more south as he strapped the gun to his back. "Find th' fella, get him an' the tractor back, got it." he replied testily, the gun barrel clanking against his metal arm. "Now can I...

(A split! As I want to get the ball rolling, but I also don't know if this town has phones.)

(If they do have phones)
...use your phone for a spell?"

(if they don't)
...borrow some wheels?"

"I think I know where I can get that extra help."

[Right! This game has rolls in it. If this would require a roll, I guess I'd like to make a Prescence + Socialize roll to ask for help, and not have to walk all the way to town to talk to John]

Anarion
2012-08-05, 11:26 PM
[The town has phones, at least wired ones. There's no wireless around anywhere though. And you don't need to roll, you haven't done anything that has consequences for failure.]

Brazen Shield
2012-08-06, 12:16 AM
John loved Monday mornings.

He'd been up since dawn and with two cups of coffee an hour and a little bit o' breakfast he'd be going for the next 4 hours till lunchtime. Deep inside the confines of his office he'd be safe and sane for the whole day. The mini fridge hummed to life next to his leg under his desk, the coffee maker cycled into its second timed starting, and for one more morning this year he was content.

SiuiS
2012-08-06, 12:20 AM
Chryssie slowly opens her eyes, now that the sun wasn't right in her face.

It was a small lizard. She looked into them when she could - everyone had a library, after all - and didn't find much of note. Alligator lizards, they were called. No poisons, not biological weapons, just speed. When they were warm, that is. Luckily, she had been out here longer.

Her palm slaps down over its body and then her fingers close like an octopus' tentacles, pinning it beyond a wriggle or two to freedom. Before it can so much as crane it's neck to bite her hand, she pops its head into her mouth, bit and spat before she could really think about it.

Sometimes she thought she should put more effort into getting a job, some money, easy food. The church had dinners most nights, but they were starting to tire of Nicholas showing his face for a free meal and an easy sermon. Maybe she had better get on that after all...

Two lizards, a spider, and the bread and leaky pipes under the trailer should lure a few water bugs. Hell she may even bothe with a fire this time! Chryssie scoffs at herself. Such luxury! she crawls out from under her tarp, kicking dirt and rocks onto it to keep it in place, and hustles home at a fair clip, bag slung over and around her shoulder like a purse. Just a twenty minute detour around the farms, and she would be set for a light meal. Maybe she should try to grab whatever was growing on the way... A girl needs her greens after all. This figure doesn't keep itself.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-06, 02:40 AM
2-5-3....7? Knew I should've written that darn number down.

His fingers pounded in the numbers, the receiver balanced between shoulder and ear, and he impatiently waited as the phone rang on and on. If John wasn't around, he'd have to find some other person crazy enough to spend their downtime heading out into the wilds with him. Or he'd have to promise them some favor in return, but then he'd still only have one other person, so that would mean more favors, and more time, and then where would he find the time to fix his-

-oh wait, the ringing stopped. Did he pick up, or did the call drop? "Hello? John? This is Chuck, from Jose's farm, you there?"

Forum Explorer
2012-08-06, 08:44 AM
Dr. Armstrong woke up hours before anyone else did. Well he likely did anyways. He sat and drank his instant coffee as he watched the sunrise.
Monday mornings...ha. People complain about them but really they are the same as any other morning when you didn't have to work. Now what should I do today? I suppose I could go bother Chuck or John. Eh, flip a coin I guess.

I actually will leave this to chance. On a 1 he visits Chuck on a 2 he goes to John

[roll0]

Brazen Shield
2012-08-06, 07:48 PM
Unfortunately for John, he was only bite number two into his homemade sandwich when the phone in his office began ringing that afternoon. Very large bite number two.

As the phone rang he chewed furiously, debating spitting the mouthful of turkey and swiss on rye out completely.

Deciding to pick it up rather than let the person on the other end call him back, John hung the phone receiver between his shoulder and ear and waited.

"Hello? John? This is Chuck, from Jose's farm, you there?"

A few moments of silence and John swallowed hard.

"Yah!"John croaked, coughing a bit. "Sheriff's office, Chuck. Sorry. All ears."

Anarion
2012-08-06, 08:03 PM
There's not much movement about the Sheriff's office at this hour. John had phone duty, and the other couple cops in that day had popped back home for lunch. No young drunks out on church night, no reason to be in the station.

Unfortunately, by mid-day it was hot. Really hot. Fry an egg on the sidewalk hot. With someone maybe trapped out in the fields, this added a bit of urgency to Chuck's explanation.

Brazen Shield
2012-08-06, 08:38 PM
Within two mintues the first call was done and another had started. Rolings had gone home for lunch but a missing worker in the noon sun had a bit of urgency to it that demanded immediate action. Having gotten his shift on the phones covered, John got ready to go.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-06, 09:14 PM
Though the front porch offered a better view of the road, Mister Marquez had sprung for AC long ago. It was there by the screen door that Chuck waited, going through his pack for the eighth time. Ten rounds of ammo, a handful of nuts and bolts of various sizes, a quarter-roll of good, old-fashioned duct tape, a canteen of water, add to that the rifle and the tools he carried with him, and that was all he could afford to take in this heat. "Might be better just t'leave th' tractor for later..." he mused to himself. "Better t'get a hand back an' a tractor later than have t'send out another search party after us."

He shielded his eyes from the sun's glare, staring out over the road; empty, save for the shimmers of heat that looked so much like cars from the corner of the eye. Nothing to do now but wait for a dust cloud to prove one of those mirages was real.

Forum Explorer
2012-08-06, 10:09 PM
Since he decided to walk it took Dr. Armstrong nearly all of the morning to reach the police station. Walking in Dr. Armstrong looked around and spotted John just getting off his phone.

"Good morning John. What's new?"

SiuiS
2012-08-06, 10:26 PM
Im making an Executive Decision, pirate. You're shiny.
And this is why we make physical descriptions ;D

Chryssie chewed a stray bit of plant matter. She wasn't sure whether it was good for eating, yet, but it wasn't too bad. An also probably not poisonou--

Chucks arm glimmered through the screen while he fiddled with his pack, and she dropped like a stone in a still pond. Last thing she needed was him knowing her haunts and routes. Luckily, she had a plan for this.

She digs into her bag, pulling out the crumpled ski vest and the small, polished mirror from its pocket, she got 'dressed'. Nose down, bridge out. That little crook she memorized from that boxing movie, a bit of waggle to the eyebrows. Clear blue coming to the fore, broader shoulders, taller a bit, tousled hair and... Well, no time to fix the teeth, or the hairline. Best just to look more unkempt than usual... Luckily the sweat from the day helped.

The final touches she used the mirror for. Dark hair, an almost purple blue, eyes like fluorescent lanterns and stubble like a garden gnome's beard on angular pale features, and Nicholas, Fairest hobo strode up to the porch.

"Hey, there Chuck! Fancy meetin' you here! You alright? You look plum anxious if you don't mind me saying."

Still not sure if everyone in the motley knows Chryssie is several people about town, so I'm keeping up appearances. I'm pretty certain that without taking "no seeming" as a merit I'll always look like a changeling, so each cover identity has its own made up story after tat time old man brown or whatever his name is caught her crossing his field, and called Nicholas by Abby's name. Real fun, that.

Disguise is 3 seeming + 4 subterfuge + ?
Afb and overwrote it on my master copy. Nuts. On the upside, her vest used to belong to the bloke so it will obviate the glamour cost of Mirrorkith - when she uses it.

Brazen Shield
2012-08-06, 10:39 PM
John smiled slightly, nodding when William walked in the doors.

"Hey, Doc." he said warmly, waving him over with one hand. John reached into his desk for his sidearm and badge, attaching both to his belt. "Good timing. You busy? Chuck just called: looks like we've got a missing man in the afternoon sun and wouldn't mind some more help looking."

The deputy walked out from behind his desk, followed closely by his partner, the four-legged Letzewiese. Letz wagged his tail twice at the sight of the professor.

"Coming along?" John asked again. "I would really appreciate it."

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-06, 10:50 PM
A thousand curses upon the dawn for stealing away the stars! Or so Rayna decided as she lay in the field watching the dawn overtake the sky. Why did men and women sleep through such beauty and majesty then trudge about in the heat of the day? It was not right, not right at all. Oh but what irony that the day named for that thief of beauty should leave her with the most glorious of nights out of seven.

For it was this night it seemed too few wished to view the women they so plainly enjoyed for her employer of the present to remain open late. A fact which left Rayna blissfully free of the base demands that consumed too much time, free to perform not for an audience but for her own pleasure. And to simply enjoy the night. Yet as all did on Earth, the night ended.

As dawn crept over the sky Rayna rose to return to her abode of the moment. To those that could see it, it might have seemed like a small piece of the fleeing night sky had fallen to the ground. Beautiful and feminine, dark and shimmering. Rayna's skin was the deep blue and black of the night, her hair a cloud aglow with moonlight broken by the faintest stars occasional star. Dew glistened from her, so long had she lain in the field. In the growing light it made a pair of gossamer wings sprouting forth from her back sparkle. Even the blind that made up all this world though would see a beautiful woman though reversed in colors, pale skinned and dark haired. Doubtful there was a face in this small town that did not know Rayna Azure's face, both blessing and curse of the fine form she'd been granted.

Swiftly gathering the few things she'd brought with her the night child scampered off into the coming day. A quick breakfast and a nap followed by rising in the late morning to wander about. The heat of the day was no draining but Rayna had expended several items of food in her breakfast. Mother Grune would tell her to not put things off and so Rayna had set out.

Anarion
2012-08-06, 10:59 PM
Coincidentally, as John, Will, and Letz are leaving the police station, they happen to see Rayna walking by. Even just doing her shopping, she moves with a particular, unmistakable grace.

Forum Explorer
2012-08-06, 11:31 PM
"Sure. I've got nothing planned today.

Hey pup." Doctor Armstrong replies, scratching Letz behind the ears.

Seeing Rayna he watches her for a few moments before nudging John.

"You might as well as her to come along too. Almost got all of us helping then."

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-07, 01:40 AM
As she glided along on her errand Rayna's wings occasionally beat at the air in a gentle hum. In accord with the summer's heat she wore less, just a tank top and shorts. In defiance of the summer's heat they were in the color black, alternately contrasting or blending in with her skin strikingly depending on whose eyes looked. Rayna's feet bore sandals in black leather, just robust enough for walking though her feet seemed to barely touch the ground. While she carried no purse or accessory they did not complete the ensemble for at Rayna's side hung a long sleek rapier, those that knew her would know she was rarely without it at her side. Those luckier still might have seen her perform her own dances with that silvery blade flashing in time. Truly a pity that it could be but a knife to the mortals around, not even a remarkable one at that.

Dancing along the road she passed the office of the local enforcements authorities and surprise lit on Rayna's face to see two of her fellows coming out. Of course in such a place as Bow River this was not in itself unusual, but together was itself another matter of consideration. This bore examination.

"A good day to you Doctor Armstrong, Johnathan Gryffon." She said giving each the slightest of bows, "What turn of events has drawn you together at present?"

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-07, 02:06 AM
The hobo came into sight long before he even opened his mouth. Chuck kept to his pack-checking, praying that he'd have the good fortune to just keep on walking. Alas, this morning was destined to be a foul one, much like the stench of his new-found company.

"Don't got time t'chat now, Nick, I'm busy." he said curtly, looking over the hobo's shoulder and out into the road.

[Would I have to make any roll to notice the disguise? I don't feel like Chuck would be looking all that hard.]

SiuiS
2012-08-07, 04:16 AM
[Would I have to make any roll to notice the disguise? I don't feel like Chuck would be looking all that hard.]

Anarion's call. This particular gent I've gone through minor trouble to set up an identity with, however. I'd have to roll the disguise first, but I'm waiting to see if there are any ST imposed modifiers.

I could have sworn I'd talked to him about this, but I can't remember any of the responses... That what I get for dreaming.

"Ah, don't be like that coz." Nick flashes a winning grin and take one step - and only that half step - onto the porch stairs. Never violate private property in view of a man with a gun. "Looks like you're packin' up for somethin' real business-like there. And why, I'd be mighty happy to help if you'll have me. See? Already packed my lunch an' everythin'!" as he shakes the obviously empty sack.

"Why, it might even be something a critter of my particular talents could help with. Whadya say?"

Anarion
2012-08-07, 09:47 AM
[There will be no disguise rolls at present]

As the party in town makes its way out to Jose's farm to meet up with Chuck, you have a chance to take in what little sights and sounds there are. There's something about today that just feels deeply lonely. Maybe it's the heat, wafting off the adobe buildings that makes the world look like it's in rolling waves. The town barely even has a paved road, more of a flattened dirt track with a thin layer of asphalt over it. And the buildings always fade so quickly. Barely two blocks worth of houses around the movie theater and the store.

Once you're outside the town proper, everything is rolling hills and fields. Farmers here grow a combination of corn, soy, and a few other assorted crops. Somebody finally beat crop rotation into their heads circa 2015 (only a few hundred years late!) so every once in a while, you notice a field with cabbage or okra growing in it instead.

The road to Jose's farm is just over half a mile. About a 10 minute walk at a good clip. More like 20 minutes when it's hot enough to smack you around like a sledgehammer. 5 minutes outside town it really does become a dirt road, and everything in this area is tall stocks of corn. It's confining, you can't see more than 10 feet in any direction but forward, and the road to Jose's farm slopes upward, so forward isn't much better. A glance back shows only the sign of the movie theater visible over a slight roll in the ground.

Actually reaching Jose's farm is a fair sight though. He's been steadily adding to his house since he moved in. The place is three and a half stories these days, three full and an attic. It's mostly made of dark wood, flat but otherwise with something of an old log cabin feel, and it's got to be several thousand square feet, maybe even 10,000. It rests on the top of the local hill, which is to say maybe 50 feet above the surrounding terrain. There's also a big barn next to the main building, large enough to hold three tractors, two harvestors, and two seed planters in a tight squeeze. Most often one is just parked outside, but you can see that most of them are packed in at the moment. Jose must be inside, and Chuck is standing a little ways off from the barn, in some relatively free-growing prairie grass, talking with a Changeling you recognize to be [Chyrssie, but we're still not 100% confirmed on how this is being handled, so square brackets.]

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-07, 10:44 PM
Chuck was little impressed by the hobo's congeniality. "You tell me; fancy trekkin' through this heat, fightin' off coyotes and whatever else the good Lord sees fit t'throw in the prairie today?" Before his smelly companion could respond, a dust cloud started rising above the long road to the farmhouse. That weren't no car, or if it was, it was the quietest-running piece of machinery to ever hit these dirt roads. And it was too much dust just for one fella to kick up. "Hold up now, Nick, that might be my work comin' up th' road now."

He jogged over to the long praerie grass growing alongside the road. From the height of the hill, he could see that old hound and his dog leadin' a pack of the other oddballs from town. Heck, includin' Nick, that made the lot of them, ol' man Mcelhenney not countin'. This mornin' just gets better an' better... he thought to himself. As the untidy posse approached, he stepped out from the grass and gave a nod to John. "Afternoon, Sheriff. Didn't tell me you'd be bringin' a mob."

Brazen Shield
2012-08-08, 11:15 AM
Letz ran up to Chuck as the man came out of the tall grass, tall wagging. John nodded and gave him a warm smile as the group approached.

"Well, I would've told you but I didn't know myself," he motioned back at the others. "Seems town is popular today and I figured we could use the help."

And he was worried. A man doesn't just dissapear into the afternoon on a route he's prolly rode a millions times.... John couldn't help but worry about what it could mean. He hoped he was overreacting and the man had just broken his leg or something.

Forum Explorer
2012-08-08, 02:33 PM
"Hey Chuck, heard you needed a hand." Dr. Armstrong said with a yawn.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-08, 06:44 PM
Rayna wasn't sure why she had come along. It was a strange whim that had come over her. Perhaps it was the echoes of boredom, Bow River was not an tremendously active place. Yes there was an element of that, but distant. No it was that those few that could know her true self were about. Others, other people, others like her, they were... good to be around. It didn't even matter what was going on, there were people like her involved and that was enough.

"Well met Charles Rafferty and..." Rayna fumbled for a moment, she was never sure how to handle those with many many names and had to remember which this was "Nicholas Pringle, so what lies before us on this most unseemly and excessively warm of days."

Anarion
2012-08-08, 06:50 PM
[please continue chatting. When you are ready to start tracking the lost hand, I'd like survival rolls from anyone who is actually doing the tracking. You get a +1 bonus from knowing the area, but -2 for the heat making it hard to focus, for a net -1 penalty.]

SiuiS
2012-08-08, 11:13 PM
"You tell me; fancy trekkin' through this heat, fightin' off coyotes and whatever else the good Lord sees fit t'throw in the prairie today?"

"Well of course not, coz! But neither do you by the size of it." Nick grins as if he's won the lottery, comfortable in his kingdom of easy charm. "But you're gonna anyway, and you don't want a stray tagalong, means its important. And what kind of friend would I be if I didn't help a guy out with his business e'ery once in a while?"

Chuck jogs down the road and Nick pivots in place, watching. Business indeed, our kind of business! He cants forward and lopes along after the farmhand, and bows fluidly in a typically sloppy, American fashion. "Always a pleasure, missus Blue. Sheriff. Doc. Well then," and he tracks cracked fingernails through greasy black, sweat soaked locks. "Looks like you might just be stuck with me now, coz. Unless you'd want to see a man malnourished marchin' 'cross this here land without a bite or drop to his name. And none of y'all look that cruel..."

Nick winks into the crowd as the dust they kicked up settles onto his sweat-slicked self. "Well, maybe you do, sheriff."

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-09, 12:13 AM
Chuck mumbled out a greeting to Rayna and Armstrong, and shot Nick a disparaging look that said, I know what you're pullin' here, an' that's a low blow right there.

The mechanic scowled and looked over the motley crowd that had gathered. He had to admit, Nick and John were technically right; the worst kind of right. Tending to an injured hand and fixing up a tractor between the two of them, all while dealing with the hot sun, sat pretty low on his list of things he wanted to do today. And he couldn't just tell these folks to take a long hike after they'd trudged all the way out here, not unless he wanted to sever most of his decent ties in this town. He was grumpy, but not stupid. He shook his head at John in resignation. "Can't argue with that, much as I'd like to." He felt a nudging at his leg; Letz was looking up at the mechanic with that perpetual happy face dogs were always wearing. He let a little joy through his sour mood and gave the dog a quick scratch behind the ear. "Best get this shindig over with."

Chuck trudged up the hill a ways, until he was looking down at the lot of them. "Alright, listen up ya'll!" he shouted. "One of Mr. Marquez's hands, fella by the name of George, went out t'the fields this mornin', and not a soul's seen him since. Best as we can tell, he went off over the hills yonder," he pointed to a region of hills around the outer fields. "Th' job is t'track him down, an' get him an' his tractor back here, safe 'n sound. Should be a long trek in this heat, and y'can't forget the coyotes an' whatever else feels like gettin' in our way. If anybody's thinkin' that's not their brand of fun, y'best turn around now. Otherwise, we ain't got much time t'lose."

Brazen Shield
2012-08-09, 10:46 AM
John gave "nick" a stern look: The Sheriff's mood hovered just on this side of irritated and he tried to shake it off. Taking a look around, he steeled his resolve: all of them had been through their own trials and they'd all made it through, worse for the wear but through; who was he to judge a changlings eccentricities? All they had was each other now, and he was determined to make it a safe and strong "together."

John was also determined to make his town safe and keep it safe. He didn't need to look at the sun to know how hot it was or would get today, and as he listened to Chuck he was already making a metal tally of the things they would need. He had a few bottles of water in his bag, the last half of his sandwich and he reached in for it now.

He held the other half out to Nick with a warm look. Treading out into the afternoon sun with a full belly would be hard enough but an empty one? At worse they'd have to carry Nick back, at the best he might slow them down.

They couldn't afford either.

SiuiS
2012-08-09, 06:07 PM
Nil looks at the sandwich. Honesty, genuinely surprised.

There was no help for it now. Everyone was looking, and if he didn't take the sandwich, Letz would. And Chryssie was hungry. Lizards and soybeans only went so far, and it was about a week before the checks came in, another week before the bills were paid and no one would notice a meal's worth disappearing into the receipts...

'Nick' wipes his hand, clearing it of sweat, or perhaps just smearing it with new dust - he doesn't look. With slowness one expects from a comedy skit, his hand reaches out to the sandwich, grabs it and takes a bite, rolling it over and over in his mouth like cud. Smoothing his vest, he shifts his teeth around - one of te few details she' left out in her haste - and swallows dramatically. And still that heavy silence in the oppressive heat... Contracts of Mirror, using Nick's old vest for the catch

Nicky's head turns slowly like a broken sprinkler. "I don't suppose you wanna send me on my way now, coz?"

Forum Explorer
2012-08-09, 06:53 PM
Dr. Armstrong watched in amusement as Nick slowly and dramatically ate the sandwich.

"As amusing as this is perhaps we should get going?" He suggests dryly

Brazen Shield
2012-08-09, 07:09 PM
John nods to Doc. "Right."

Turning to Nick, he shrugs. "You wanna come with, I ain't gonna stop you and neither will anyone else, I s'pose. You wanna disappear into the sunset with some free food that's fine too. But we're going."

Picking his pack up off the ground, John sets a foot in the right direction.

SiuiS
2012-08-09, 07:11 PM
"sounds good to me! Ol' Red here could find a petty shoplifter months after the fact, and brought Letz to boot. All we need now is to know which direction and what field we should head for."

Nick steps sideways and turns his head which, combined with Doc's dry comment and steady gaze, gives Chuck te impression that everyone is staring at him, specifically.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-09, 08:37 PM
Chuck tried not to let his disappointment show. He'd hoped that little speech would've scared off at least one of this crowd; he'd have to work on his discouraging speeches later. But there was no time to sulk when there was a job to do. He shouldered his pack and set off through the prairie grass, his gears and hydraulics slowly starting to work themselves up to a full head of...whatever his body ran off of these days. "And watch the crop, I don't fancy reportin' t'Jose that we trampled half his fields gettin' a single hand back." he called back to the group. He started looking around for the tell-tale signs of a tractor, those deep tire marks, freshly-tended fields, everything he remembered from working a farm himself.

Tracking!

That'll be 2 Wits + 1 Survival - 1 circumstance to give us...
[roll0]

And the 10-again was a 6, so that's 1 success.

Anarion
2012-08-09, 09:01 PM
Fortunately for Chuck, a tractor might have been just about the easiest thing there was to track. It took an obvious route behind the farm house, turned onto a small dirt track to avoid crushing any of the corn, and wound down and up, over the rolling fields.

The fields closest to Jose's farm are all planted already, so the group sticks with the road for a while. Land near Bow River is mostly dirt when it's not growing, and as a result it's dirt cheap and Jose has a lot of it. You travel for about 3 miles, passing from fields of corn to fields of lettuce, to untilled fields. Here, the tracks turn into one of the dirt fields, which looks to have been recently ploughed. Unfortunately, at this point the tracks go back and forth along the field, there's no sign of the tractor yet, and Chuck isn't quite sure which way to go.

[Anyone else want to take a shot at the tracking? Same roll, the criss-crossed field imposes a further -1 penalty, meaning the roll is now wits+survival-2]

Forum Explorer
2012-08-09, 10:08 PM
Dr. Armstrong took a look around trying to figure out which way the stupid man went. Wiping some sweat off his forehead he focused his attention on the ground.

3 survival and 1 wits -2 = 2

[roll0]
[roll1]

"Hey! I think it went this way." Dr. Armstrong said pointing out the tracks.

SiuiS
2012-08-09, 11:05 PM
"I reckon this is where I should step in a bit, coz." and quick as a flash of white lightning, Nicholas s the rucksack from Chuck's shoulder, handing it to John. "Get a sniff o' this, Red. Might e you could snuff up the smell of Jose farmhand."

Turning to the field, Nick hunkers down and surveys the overturned earth, looking for patterns at his own dirt level.

work suddenly. Hence no description.
Beginning teamwork, designating John as primary actor, using Willpower. Wits 4 survival 2 1 net gain from willpower is 7 dice.

Three successes and over an hour an a half because my coworker is lazy.

Anarion
2012-08-09, 11:20 PM
As it turns out, having the whole group together was useful. When Chuck seemed at a loss, John noticed that at one spot the ploughs formed a sort of circular shape, like the tractor had made as tight a turn as tractors are capable of making, and following it from there, you find where the tracks went off. Then, when those tracks took a sudden swerve, Dr. Armstrong caught it and kept the party on track. And Nicholas, for all the complaining, happened to notice another set of tracks in one of the muddier fields, not entirely obscured by the tractor. They looked a bit like paw prints, but no coyote or wolf you've ever seen would leave tracks that size.

Following a further search, the tractor came into view about two miles further on. The land slopes upwards, mostly covered with scrub grass for grazing in this area. At the lip of the slope, you can see the land forms into a slight bowl, maybe 100 feet in diameter and with a couple of short trees growing in it. The tractor is visible, and at the base of the tree is the largest wolf any of you have ever seen, easily 7 feet long. It's coat has an unnnatural sheen, just a hint of greenish light seems to come off it when you're not looking straight at it. It appears to be gnawing on something, and hasn't noticed you yet

SiuiS
2012-08-09, 11:58 PM
Nick looks over the beast, blinking globs of sweat an dust from his eyes. Green? it's obviously a faerie creature... Right?

What else could it be?

Paying attention fully for the first time since her lizard hunt, 'Nick' lets his eyes relax back to their usual segmented bulges and gazes across the area, eyes unfocused, seein what details he picks up. There is the smell of heat and dirt and wild plants, mingling in the stillness of the air. There is a tractor, and some trees, falling - spiraling? - into some metaphorical hole in the earth. And... And there is a missing farmhand while a caveman's worst fears gnaws on something.

In as low and quiet a voice as he can muster, nick asks from the group's heart, "what is it eating? Can you tell?", his voice almost cracking.

two attempts here. First, perception. Composure and wits? Penalties?

Second, taking in details, and starting a case for intelligence+occult, to see if I can glean any ideas on our Ulfric. Penalties?

Anarion
2012-08-10, 12:06 AM
[The perception roll I already made for everyone. You'll need to get closer or change positions to get new visual information. Or use a contract or something. For the occult roll, I think just roll it, since I don't want to disclose the difficulty, as that would allow you to tell how esoteric the creature is.]

Forum Explorer
2012-08-10, 12:09 AM
Dr. Armstrong ignored Nick. He was too busy focusing on the strange wolf. He wished desperately that he had brought some of his equipment with him, but he honestly wasn't expecting to run across something like this today. Perhaps Fey, perhaps just touched by one of them. Dr. Armstrong racked his mind for information about how wolves normally act as he watched it's movements closely to try and get a feel for what it was about to do.

So Biology roll to see if the wolf is acting normally and to notice if anything about the wolf doesn't add up. (Like weight should leave deeper footprints, or other stuff like that)

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

and an Animal Ken roll to try and get an idea on what it's going to do next.

[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

Also which way is the wind blowing?

Anarion
2012-08-10, 12:27 AM
The wind is blowing from the wolf towards the party, so there is not a concern about scent from your present position. This is likely the only reason the creature has not noticed you yet.

[As a note, generally you should declare the roll, then wait so I can tell you the penalites, then you roll it. Cumbersome, but necessary because of the way the chance system works.]

Dr. Armstrong
First, that biology roll can only tell you about normal wolves. This one is already excessively large and abnormal. Based on your knowledge of normal wolves, the footprints from earlier were in keeping with this animal. It is proportioned mostly like a normal wolf, although the back is more arched with a pronounced ridge.

You also don't have confirmation that this is an animal or not, but if it were an animal, your result suggests that it's strange this wolf would be so near the tractor still. Also, wolves generally travel in packs...

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-10, 12:37 AM
Chuck dropped to his belly just as quick as he could, already unshouldering the rifle and loading some rounds as quietly as possible. "Can't see a darn thing from over here, but the rest of ya'll stay down an' start prayin' th' wind don't shift or it'll be eatin' us next." he said in a hushed whisper.

Loading the rifle from muscle memory, the mechanic squinted his eyes at the beastie. Son of a gun, what is that thing? Granpappy's stories...he knew he'd heard a few about old dogs roaming the wilds, preying on the souls of anyone unfortunate enough to cross their path. Now what was that thing called; not a werewolf, those didn't come out in the day...it weren't colorful enough (or loud enough) to be Coyote with a capital C...come on, think Chuck, think!

[Making an Intelligence + Occult roll, with the specialty of Superstitions if it applies. Also a roll to load the rifle while studying the creature, if necessary. Dexterity + Firearms with a specialty in rifles.]

Anarion
2012-08-10, 12:39 AM
[You're not in combat at the moment, no need to make the dex roll. For occult, go ahead and roll it, same as SiuiS, and I'll tell you the results after. I hadn't really thought about what folk tale this might correspond to, but there should be one, so you can add the superstitions bonus to it.]

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-10, 12:52 AM
[Okay, rolled it up, 7,6,5,7,10,5,8, and the 10-again was a 5, for a total of 2 successes. I really need to get some physical dice here, I don't trust online rollers. :smalltongue:]

SiuiS
2012-08-10, 01:00 AM
occult+intelligence, 4, 9.

"You keep loading, coz. I'm gonna meander a bit closer, off to the side. It's not like wolves can climb trees, right? And uh, you look like maybe he's kin o' yours, Red. Maybe you should strike up a dialogue, all polite like?"

Nick is going to go around the outer rim of the crater thingy, trying to keep some cover. Once about 45° away from the group using the wolf as the center (approximating to have tree cover) and then we will consider moving forward. Maybe.

I could foresee stealth maybe being called for here, but we are a hundred feet away and I'm being careful, and am naturally dexterous.

Brazen Shield
2012-08-10, 03:45 AM
The group moved around him and made sounds and John didn't so much as notice. A hand on his pistol he made a mental check of how much ammo he had on him for it.

Panic set in, panic because he knew that it didn't matter how many they were, how prepared they were or how many guns they had, if this thing was hungry, mad, mean or just plain unfriendly, they were truly and thoroughly screwed.

John noticed two things: he was sure Nick was going to get them killed, and Chuck being on the ground was usless if the rest of them were standing out in the open. He was also angry: if that monster was chewing on George, he was going to do more than talk to it.

Runing away was also silly. They were already out here, armed as much as they could be for not being human anymore and it wasn't like the wolf was just gonna go away.

"Y'all," John said at bearly a whisper, "it's obviously a wolf... So, It might talk to me. Get down, all of you, and try to stay out of sight. I'll hold it off while you guys figure out a new plan if this one goes south." He took a few steps forward, slowly. "Also, you might know this already, but wolves are pack hunters: someone keep an eye out behind us."

I'm going to use the contract Fang and Talon to see if John can talk to it. Also, adding a point of will power to roll if possible

Anarion
2012-08-10, 09:53 AM
People that rolled occult only (but feel free to share IC)
You both know this isn't a normal wolf, even a grotesque one. You're also pretty sure it's not a changeling, but not 100% positive. Neither of you is certain whether the creature is intelligent or not. It does not resemble the most common types of hedge beast, it looks closer to a regular wolf than that even though it's obviously touched by Faerie.

[Braz, for that Contract, if you give the animal a new name you can use it automatically, no glamour cost, no roll. I'll let you decide on how to handle that. Also, still no guarantees this is a wolf as such, so it might just fail completely.]

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-10, 06:08 PM
As she glided along Rayna took a no more then casual interest in the tracking. She wasn't really all that interested to tell the truth, just here to tag along. Surely this was all something purely mundane of nature was it not? That changed upon citing the strange wolf though. Something of the Hedge, something worse? She knew little, for learned knowledge was no strength of hers.

What she did grasp most immediately was that the beat was dangerous.

Gone was the disinterested air in a moment. With lightning speed the blade upon her hip appear into hand, drawn with the effortless grace and speed of long practice. Taking a low stance Rayna maneuvered herself to the front of the party, seeking a position to remain inconspicuous. Should the beast turn dangerous and charge she planned to be there to take it by surprise. Alert now she gauged everything about her surroundings quickly, checking for anything unusual.

This search might well have become a hunt, if only it was dark it might begin to resemble the strange things that had amused the Lady on occaison, to see her swords dance with beasts and things in dark mazes. Though she knew not what she faced Rayna would do her best to defend herself.

Of course I pass out last night and stuff happens. Anyways several things going on for Rayna:

-First without rolls Rayna has readied her weapon so she can fight if need be.

-Second she's positioning herself near the front with the idea of being ready to react should the thing attack, but doing so stealthily so as to not alert the thing and maybe be able to surprise it if nessecary.

Dex+Stealth: [roll0]

-Third she's making general scan of the area now, catch any pertinent details.

Wits+Composure: [roll1]

(If Suvival is more appropriate then please disregard the last roll)

Extra's for 10-agains: [roll2]

Edit Results: Good thing I had extras even if they didn't give me any more successess.

Anarion
2012-08-10, 06:39 PM
As Rayna moves closer and Nick edges around to the side, both of them catch a glimpse of something human-colored in the tree. Perhaps you're not too late after all.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-10, 09:07 PM
The heat and the stress were just too much, and the story slipped right through his brainpan. Chuck came out of the solitude of his mind only to find Nick off flanking the thing (armed with a scrap of shoe or something, no doubt) and John was spouting some nonsense about talking to it. "That has to be th' plum foolest thing I've heard all week." He shook his head at the sheriff. The weight of the rifle told him it was loaded in the time he'd spent thinking, and he readied the long firearm up against his shoulder. "If that thing even thinks about makin' a move, it's gettin' one between th' eyes. An' then th' rest of the clip, just t'be safe."

[Chuck is going to start aiming, and will keep aiming unless anything distracts him.]

Brazen Shield
2012-08-10, 09:12 PM
John moved forward, down the incline, checking back to make sure the others were well hidden. He noted Chuck was aiming at the beast and made sure not to get in the way.

The Beast was still far away, but John knew his voice would carry.

"I name you Lichen, mighty beast." John called across the short grass.

SiuiS
2012-08-10, 09:33 PM
Not many details, yet, but could that be a farmhand in a tree? That's a possible problem. If this man sees John do his thing, rumors of a deputy sheriff-come-dog whisperer could be problematic.

There was thankfully some boon to compound eyes, she muses. 'Nick' examines the height of the tree, it's girth, it's branches; how long, how wide, how high? And the terrain, not properly tilled. Full of rocks, bits o loose earth, possibly loamy? She couldn't tell. But dirt was dirt, and she would have to run along soon now, right? Eyeballing the distance, 'Nick' estimates the likelihood of success were she to run across the clearing, and jump into the tree, with whatever acrobatics that implied.
terrain info please?

EDIT: dammit, John! XD

Anarion
2012-08-12, 02:25 AM
The tree is a big one, easily over 30 feet tall, a sturdy oak with thick leaves already anticipating providing shade in the summer heat. The base is maybe 4 feet wide and the branches stretch over a circle with a 15 foot radius. The land here is untilled. The ground is mostly scrub grass, a tan, yellow color, and there are other trees around the bowl, spaced widely apart due to relative lack of water.

"Lichen" raises its head as John calls out and drops what turns out to have been the leg it was chewing on. From the tree, you hear a voice call out:

"Hey, deputy John, is that you? Get this thing outta here and get us down, my leg's bleeding."

At the same time, "Lichen" says something. It's voice sounds like it's chewing gravel, and John finds it difficult to understand, like it's speaking with an accent. "Leave this place, faerie man. This is not your business."

Brazen Shield
2012-08-12, 11:08 AM
John winced. There were people here, which was a good thing and a bad thing.
"Here to help!" he called over to the tree "Just stay where you are and stay quiet!"

He put his hands out in front of him, towards the giant in a way that one should handle all animals. I'm unarmed an, here, smell me.

"I apologize, Lichen, for getting involved in your business." John kept his voice high and friendly, like talking to a dog you've just meet for the first time." But a member of my pack has gone missing."

Oh John wasn't stupid. There was a good chance that monster was chewing on a piece of George. Very well may be it chased the man up that tree but it was a giant dog, and being of a similar nature, John new better than to rush into a fight unless it was a last resort

"He may be hurt: as one of the pack protectors it's my job to search and help them. Please, great and mighty beast, will you help me?"

Presence (3)+ persuasion (-1)+ ST(-4)= -2
Roll 9.

Anarion
2012-08-12, 06:49 PM
[depends what you're trying to do. If this is sincere and convincing, I think presence plus persuasion would do it. If you're actively trying to manipulate it, then manipulation plus persuasion. Pick one, but don't roll yet, the dice penalties will be different.]

Forum Explorer
2012-08-12, 08:38 PM
**** if that's his leg then we need to help him fast. He won't last long otherwise. But we can't get him out of here if we're being chased by Lichen.
Dr. Armstrong thinks to himself. He doesn't move willing to wait and see what happens next.

SiuiS
2012-08-12, 10:42 PM
'Us'?

Problem. Big problem.

One farm hand stuck up a tree by a throw-back, baked by the heat until his mind is only a mirage in the fine mist of his steaming, cooked brain? Sure, he's liable to see things. Misunderstand them, like Rayna flying or John talking to a dog, but more than one witness...

'Nick' runs his tongue behind his lips, thinking. He could still make that run, jump, grab a branch, climb his way up. Then what? certainly he'd have to help, and the fewer witnesses the better. Perhaps he should just wait, and see if things sort themselves out...

Nick leans forward, eyes and ears intent. Hunched like a runner, just in case, letting the circumstances unfold. And boy, did he wish he'd brought a drop of water or three.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-12, 10:56 PM
Chuck muttered a quiet prayer for the poor hand up in the tree. Weird followed weird; he'd bet his arm this...this thing was here because of the resident wackjob population. That fella just got caught up in the wrong place at the wrong time. They needed to just grab him, get out, let the doc patch him up, and then come back for the tractor later, once things cooled down. Not that hard of a puzzle.

And yet, John still wanted to try and talk this one out? Don't like this one bit. Plum fool's gonna get somebody killed. If his foolhardiness had any merit to it, at least it got the beastie to turn its head. Now he had a shot lined up, right between the monster's eyes. Mutant, faerie, or just an ornery wolf, that should slow him down but good.

[Chuck keeps aiming.]

Anarion
2012-08-13, 06:15 PM
The wolf bares its teeth at John and growls warningly. In its gravely speech it chokes out "Not...one...step...closer"

[I'm going to go ahead and roll initiative for everyone to save time, since it's just one die per person. Doesn't mean this has to end in bloodshed, just that time is tight enough that you should act in order.

Rayna: 11
Chryssie: 10
Chuck: 8
John: 6
Dr. Armstrong: 6 (slower)

So, Rayna]

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-13, 07:50 PM
At the growl Rayna moved, the time for talk was done. They'd lost enough advantage when John had spoke giving them away. There was a life on the line yes? A norm to boot, who probably had no clue even what was going on. Rayna knew she was not the most caring of persons, but here there could be no question. She would act, Chuck had brought a rifle along but she would be on her skill with a blade exceeding his with a gun.

Gliding out of her hiding spot Rayna closed on the beast closing the ground swiftly hair whipping out behind her, wings buzzing softly as they flickered. In her hand the her rapier, the gleaming silver metal worked with blue. Closing to the wolf creature Rayna struck low and fast swift as the wind.

What would a brave pony like Rainbow Dash do?

Actually I'm presuming that Rayna can close without using a Charge action so this is just a normal move and attack.

Stength+Weapon+Specialty+Rapier= 10 Dice

[roll0]

Extra: [roll1]

Also her Rapier ignores one point of armor if relevant and Rayna's Defense is three.

SiuiS
2012-08-13, 08:37 PM
Well, there we are. He sky blue kook decided to play Tyr's hand, rather than John being the meat at Green Peace. As good a time as any, nick supposes.

Taking off like a sprinter, he bolts down the slope on feel, sinking feet into the dirt and kicking up puffs of soil and ripped grass. Jumping from farther back means he's higher up, but farther away, and the numbers take on new life as the tree looms ever closer, a monolith, a tower of wood and impossibility. Possibly a grave marker if things go wrong...

...**** it.

Nick hits on-stride, crouching into a half-squat and shooting his up and out as he kicks, thrusting his center of gravity into it like a shot-put.

supposing the slope is at 5-10°, I could make a branch that's about 15 or more feet up, otherwise I could splay limbs around the trunk. So I'm supposing athletics+Dex+free running, with differing penalties depending on if I can reach a branch or not.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-13, 08:58 PM
Chuck nearly swore under his breath. Sure, talkin' a monster out of a meal was a bad idea, but getting close enough to tussle with it? The least she could've done was let him shoot first, and not muck his aim all up. Although...he could work a little magic himself. Give his shot the edge it needed, and just imagine how it'd feel watching that bullet soar as the magic coursed through-no! He wasn't even touching the Glamour until they were out of trouble. The last thing they needed was him higher than a kite and an angry wolf with a hole through its skull. If we get out of this alive, somebody somewhere owes me a drink. A strong one. He took a deep breath, sighted the wolf's head, and squeezed the trigger.

[Making a Dex + Firearms + Specialty roll = 7 die before bonuses and penalties. Chuck spent some time aiming, but Rayna may be making the shot more difficult.]

Anarion
2012-08-14, 12:20 AM
Rayna sprints down the hill, quick as lightning, her sword in her hand. To the assembled changelings, the view is like a comet suddenly radiant in the middle of the field, colliding with the wolf as scarlet blood flies into the air. To the farm hand in the tree, he sees this waif of a girl sprinting down the hill, her hair flying behind her and suddenly pull out a long, switchblade knife from its cloth holder at her belt and plunge it into the wolf's shoulder blade.

The wolf suffers 3 lethal damage and appears clearly wounding, blood flowing freely from the cut.

[Chryssie can go ahead and roll in modified, then calculate the total distance. From edging around, a branch is about 40 feet horizontally and 12 vertically from where you started. Chuck is shooting and ignores defense, but had his aim mostly ruined by Rayna, who he needs to aim around. -1 to the roll net. I'll replace this with florid prose later, florid prose now in place, waiting to see whether Chuck's bullet is enough to kill the wolf before it has a chance to act.]

SiuiS
2012-08-14, 04:29 AM
1 STR + 1 athletics + 1 free running + 3 for willpower an doing damnedest not to be wolf chow = 6
0, 0, 0, 2, 8, 1
1, 3, 1
So much for those re-rolls -_-*
5 + 16 feet, 21 feet. So I'd grab a branch, if I got close enough horizontally. Not sure if 40 was distance before or after the full sprint.

Anarion
2012-08-14, 07:50 AM
Chuck's shot glances off the creature, drawing some blood but not penetrating deeply anywhere critical. It takes 1 additional level of lethal damage.

The wolf rounds on Rayna, who has caused it such pain with her frozen blade.
Brawl+fang+strength-3 for Rayna's defense.
[roll0]

Rayna twists like a snake and the wolf's fangs merely graze her thigh, drawing some blood, but doing minimal harm. She takes a point of lethal damage. Although she feels fine, a fleeting thought passes through her mind that visiting a doctor to avoid rabies would be a good idea.

Meanwhile, "Nick" makes a running jump and manages to grab hold of one of the lower tree branches.

What Nick sees
As he pulls himself up, he finally catches sight of George, who is indeed missing his left leg, it being clearly bitten off just above the knee. It's bleeding, but seems to have been a clean cut and is wrapped in a shirt, so George's life does not look to be in immediate danger, though he will need medical attention within the day if he is to survive.

In a branch just above George is a young boy, perhaps 11 or 12 years old. He's got hair like rough straw, dark blond and messy every which way, and he's wearing an old t-shirt that's a tad too small for him along with a pair of blue-jean overalls. He looks uninjured, but he's quivering like a twig.

In sum: Rayna is currently entangled in combat with the wolf at the base of the tree. John is nearby, perhaps 10 feet away. Chuck is 50 feet away up the hill and just took a shot. "Nick" is in the tree. Dr. Armstrong is nearby Chuck and can act now.

Forum Explorer
2012-08-14, 12:45 PM
Dr. Armstrong takes a quick look at the wolf and decides that his help is not required as of this time. Moving at a light jog he takes a long curving path to end up at the opposite side of the tree while maintaining a good distance from the wolf.

Anarion
2012-08-14, 06:16 PM
Dr. Armstrong moves around to the tree with no trouble. Everyone else seems quite distracted.

[John's turn, then Rayna again.]

Brazen Shield
2012-08-14, 07:55 PM
"RAYNA!" John screamed at her, adrenaline rushing through him. He knew he was too slow to stop her and he was powerless as the situation turned violent.

Anger. All that was John was gone, replaced by pure anger. Anger at the loss of control. Anger at Rayna for attcking without provocation. Anger made his mind clear. With a flick of his wrist, his gun was drawn.

Too close. John was too close.

A shot rang out as the beast took a sidestep. A spray of blood.

Chuck.

John started walking backwards and rounding the duo, aiming his gun at the beast. He'd be damned if he missed just to be bitten in half.

"Ranya! MOVE!"

The Blackened Comet had better pay attention, or she was going to get shot.

Going to shoot the wolf. Let me know the plenties. Adding a point willpower to the roll

Anarion
2012-08-14, 10:22 PM
[temporary time stop while reality corrects for Chuck having a rifle. If you need to take the shot, that movement will reduce the penalty to -1 on the roll.]

Brazen Shield
2012-08-15, 05:29 PM
Dex (3)+ firearms(1)+gun bonus(2)+willpower(3)-penalty of (-)1= 8 dice
10, 5

Anarion
2012-08-15, 06:40 PM
Although the wolf survived Chuck's rifle shot thanks to Rayna throwing off his aim, John had no mind to let it keep going. He leveled his pistol and with a relaxed focus, calmly put a bullet through the creature's head.

It slumps to the ground, still and unmoving.

SiuiS
2012-08-15, 10:15 PM
Nick eyes went straight to the poor man's leg stump. "My Gawd, man! Are you alright? How long ya been bleedin'?" pressing close, he puts his hand onto the wounded man's bare skin. "Do ya feel cold at all? Are you in shock? FELLAS! This MAN NEEDS EMERGENCY HELP! Don't look at your leg none. Just... Just stay calm.

"GUYS?!"

testing my limits a bit.
Attempt to harvest from their fear, with a bit of manipulation to ramp up its succulence. Would this be Wyrd+Manipulation for the attempt, or manipulation+persuasion to convince him to panic, then a harvest roll?

Anarion
2012-08-15, 10:24 PM
[Wyrd+manipulation. There's already enough ambient fear and you're acting to harvest it just fine.]

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-15, 10:48 PM
Although the wolf survived Chuck's rifle shot thanks to Rayna throwing off his aim, John had no mind to let it keep going. He leveled his pistol and with a relaxed focus, calmly put a bullet through the creature's head.

It slumps to the ground, still and unmoving.

Chuck ejected his spent cartridge with a fluid, practiced sweep of his arm. "Armstrong, you stay clear of that thing now, y'hear? Go 'round th' tree if y'have to." His leg hissed as he slowly rose to his feet, keeping the rifile sighted on the downed wolf. Into the miniature crater he went, one foot in front of the other, never once taking his eyes off the beast. His gears spun and whined innecessently with the pent-up tension as he approached. This thing seemed even more monstrous up close; he had to wonder if this thing was ever a natural wolf. His eyes darted to its chest, searching for a slight rise and fall, or even an errant twitch. Anything to see if it was well and truly dead, or just faking for one final bite.

If it moved again, it was getting a shot between the eyes to put it down for good.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-15, 11:22 PM
Rayna grimaced in pain as the beast nicked her. The shots from her companions though quickly finished it before the fight could continue. As the beast went down she spared a glance at the wounded leg. The blood running down her calf and biting pain were not trivial, but she could endure it. It would require care though.

First though there were more pressing matters to attend to. Though she'd seen the round pierce the wolf's head this was not mere animal. Rayna gave the thing a few perfunctory stabs to ensure its demise then wiped the blood from her blade using the beast's coat. There that took care of the essentials. Nick in the meantime had been shouting from the tree sounding rather panicked himself.

"Be calm yourself Nicholas Pringle we should be quite safe for at least some measure of time, the others should be coming with some haste. Don't move let them move until we know its safe to move them" she said to her companion in the tree and to the others she added, "And to other I do not know, you should be safe now. Please be patient for while we affect your rescue."

Undoubtedly she was least injured of those present. Rayna had in passing a knowledge of body healing arts, but was assuredly no doctor. She would wait to follow Doctor Armstrong's advice on the others. For the moment she must see to herself, the basics of care she knew should hopefully let those more talented assist those in true need.

Rayna's going to give herself some first aid. I'm going to make a little diagnosis and do some first aid. Neither should officially do much by the rules but I'll do it anyways. I figure for one dot she should know to apply pressure and so forth, game rules be damned.

Wits(3) + Medicine (1): 4 Dice
-[roll0]
Dex (3) + Medicine (1): 4 Dice
-[roll1]

(Subtract 2 if you feel either should be an Int roll)

Extra: -[roll2]

Anarion
2012-08-15, 11:53 PM
Also, I'm okay with you just rolling the dice as you have been, I'm assessing penalties starting from the lowest line, rightmost dice and working backwards. I say this is okay and get an immediate rules argument. It's now not okay.]

Rayna inspects the wound, noting that it's not especially deep. It will probably heal fine with just a little first aid, but the jagged nature of the cut and the bit of wolf spittle at the edge tells her enough to know that she may get rabies if the wound is not treated. The closest hospital is not close at all, nearly 50 miles away, but there are some wild animal kits in town.

Rayna's attempt to treat the wound does basically nothing, however, merely tearing her clothing a bit trying to mop up some of the blood for no real gain.

Brazen Shield
2012-08-16, 12:41 AM
John holstered his weapon. His hand tightened on the gun's handle as he watched Rayna stab at the wolf's body a few times. Stupid girl. If she hadn't had attacked it there might not have been a need to kill the beast.

He felt a warm nose on his hand and looked down to see Letz nuzzling him.

You do not like taking breath from others of us the german shepard whispered to him in a language only they shared.

"I don't like killing anything, but our pack comes first-" John growled, looking up to see the group gathering around the tree that George was in, "-no matter how foolish they act."

He patted his leg and Letz followed him passed the wolf's body. John closed his eyes as they reached the tree line and took a deep breath.

Wolves don't hunt alone. Even John had another dog with him, though the others counted as company too. He was going to figure out if they were alone, but only with a quick search. They had two injured people and no time to spare.
I'm hoping to roll some kind of search for any signs of more than the one wolf. How would I do that, and any penalties?

John noticed Rayna fumbling at her wound and took another deep breath, this one was to focus on releasing anger enough to talk to her. He approched her, a hard look in his face.

"You should get that looked at, now. We have some med kits at the sheriffs office that might have what you need." He then looked up for the rest of his friends. "We should go," he called out to them.

He walked over to where they'd gathered, looked up into the tree to see Nick tending to George and a kid who he didn't know of he recognized yet.
John's bet is that thing chased George up here and then took his leg, and he looked at the bloddy stumb with a sadness born from regret: if only they'd gotten here faster....They needed to get him help, and fast.

"I.... Do you think you can get down, George? With our help?"

SiuiS
2012-08-16, 01:29 AM
harvest roll 5/7/6/9/8, so two glamour.

Nick closes his eyes and breathes in, the rapturous look on his face no doubt contributing to the sense of fear his audience fed him. Good.

Eyes wide, he surveys the tree. The farmhand seems to be pretty well off despite Nick's assertions, but the child is an unknown factor. Something to be looked into... Nick shouts out of the tree, through the dry warbly leaves.

"Hey, Sheriff! I think ol' Chuck has some rope in that bag of his, or we could string some belts together, ease our man here out of the tree. And we have another, a young'n." turning back to his 'captives', nick brings his voice low, to a comforting note. As comforting as a possibly cracked-put wino can ever be, he supposes. "And who might you be, little coz? And why are you up the tree cuz o' that big, bad wolf?"

Anarion
2012-08-16, 06:18 AM
When Nick first shouts about the severity of the wound, the boy blanches and looks like he's about to throw up. "Nick" soaks in the fear and can feel the rush of emotions, making him feel more alive, more...complete.

While that's happening, George turns and leans towards the Sheriff and shouts back: "I'd need some help. Don't think I can move. Sounds like you brought a few people though"

"Nick" then brings up the rope to which George nods his assent.

The boy doesn't talk. As Nick moves closer, he can see that the boy is shaking like a twig, holding onto the branch for dear life. He also looks like he's had a little...accident, probably out of fear of the wolf.

"He hasn't said anything to me," George notes, wiping some sweat off his brow. "I found him out here, just kind of walking around not sure where he was going, nothing but the clothes on his back. Then all of a sudden that crazy wolf comes running at us both, plum loco I tell you. I pushed the kid up the tree and started climbing myself. Lucky me, the bite on my leg went right through, so the rest of me got up here."

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-16, 06:57 AM
Rayna saved Chuck the trouble of getting any closer; the beast hardly twitched as she drove that little sticker of hers into its hide. Still, he wasn't about to get near it if he didn't have to.

He dropped his pack to the ground and started digging around the mess of bolts and shells and junk before pulling out his trusty roll of duct tape. "This here's all I got; didn't think we'd be needin' a proper rope." He tossed it over to John, then turned his attention to the machine parked nearby. At least, he hoped it was simply abandoned for the tree. Now that there wasn't a wolf to contend with, he could give the outer shell a proper look-over, see if that monster got any ideas about gnawing on the tires or some foolishness. "How's this'n workin', George? She still run alright?" he called up to the tree.

SiuiS
2012-08-16, 07:32 AM
"Lucky? I'm happy as a clam livin' outa wreckage and ya still got a better attitude on life than me, fella. You're alright." nicks eyes slide to the young'n. That sidelong glance doesn't catch much but a slip, shivering and soaked in its own waste, and... Why? Nick had a thought. It was a peculiar one, and it felt what one would imagine, had your brains been a melon, and a spider wove its web all around an through it, and a fly lighted on the side and the tension, and all of your brain, all of that tiny spider of thought knew it had a focus, and just had to find the parts that had the epiphany, wriggling and juicy.

Nick grabs a branch, and leans backwards like a trapeze artist, one of those stunts that looks dangerous but isn't half as bad as taking stairs two at a time. and leaning out of that tree, he mutters, "Hey, Red. Come here. We've got a little boy in this tree, needs some reassurance. Why don't you come along and give 'm a smile?" before sliding back up to his position to watch the child's reaction.

Brazen Shield
2012-08-16, 10:49 AM
Scent:
Wits (2) + survival (3) - bloody ground( -2) = 3 dice*

John acknowledged Nick with a nod, and narrowed his eyes, walking forward a bit. He made sure to keep Letz close, for that dog could win the heart of any living being.

"Hiya little one," and he did smile a bit. "We're gonna get y'all down now, okay?"

Duct tape.... They could make a rope outta that if they had enough of it.

"Chuck, can you make a rope out of the tape, twice enough to reach the ground? I'll tie one end around my waist, the other around George and help him down the tree. I weight a little more than him, looks like. It should work."

[should I roll something for that to work?]

SiuiS
2012-08-16, 03:45 PM
"Naw, just toss that up here sheriff. I can tie one end to a branch, hold t'other and sorta winch him down. Y'all are gonna need to be at the bottom though, I ain't corn fed."

Brazen Shield
2012-08-16, 05:16 PM
Not corn fed? This didn't seem like a good idea.

"What do you wanna do, George?"

SiuiS
2012-08-16, 06:41 PM
Nick gives John a sour look, taking his eyes off the boy.

"It's a five yard drop. He's one yard, you're two. I think I can handle lowering a man six feet, sheriff."

Anarion
2012-08-16, 08:25 PM
The boy gives a weak smile at John and says "'kay." He's still shaking like a leaf in a windstorm, but seems basically unharmed.

George wipes more sweat, grimacing as he talks. "Seems like there's enough of you ta make somethin work, my friends. Do whatever you gotta do."

Brazen Shield
2012-08-16, 09:07 PM
John smiles at the boy again and nods. "We'll try Nicks idea first then, if that's okay."

Forum Explorer
2012-08-16, 09:47 PM
Since everything seems to be under control Dr. Armstrong decides to take a closer look at the wolf. Moving up he first checks it's injuries and makes sure that it's actually dead and not just faking it.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-16, 09:56 PM
"I can have that rope in a minute, John." Chuck called back distractedly. If they could get this tractor up to the tree, then that'd give them that extra six feet they were all fussing about. Now if only it had handled the slope without breaking. And the farmhand had the sense to leave the keys behind as he ran for his life. And the wolf hadn't decided there might be wolf treats underneath that metal hide. A long shot, but a sight better than carrying George all the way back. Chuck stepped around the tractor, giving it his best at-a-glance inspection, and seeing if the keys were still in the ignition. If they were? Well, then he could just turn the darn thing on and save himself the trouble of looking it over.

[Do I need to roll something for this?]

Anarion
2012-08-16, 10:31 PM
Since everything seems to be under control Dr. Armstrong decides to take a closer look at the wolf. Moving up he first checks it's injuries and makes sure that it's actually dead and not just faking it.

It's dead.
As Dr. Armstrong takes a closer look, he can see that there is something not quite real about the creature. The green sheen still remains, but only if you look out of the corner of your eye. Direct inspection reveals a regular wolf, albeit much larger than any regular specimen that's ever been seen. It could be afflicted with some kind of gigantism disorder, but more likely it simply comes from the hedge.

Chuck's inspection of the tractor finds it mostly in working order. It looks like one of the tired is flat due to claw marks, but it could be driven, it will just handle terribly.

[Gah, why do I keep missing Braz's rolls?]

Meanwhile, John's tracking leads to a scent of blood that goes out of the field. The blood itself stops, but there is a scent of the hunt, of sweat, panic, and excitement. John doesn't have time to follow it, as he gets called over to the tree, but he is aware that it leads out of the circle and northeast in general direction.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-16, 10:40 PM
At last, a speck of good fortune. Now if only he'd brought an air pump...

Chuck wasted no time in getting the engine revved up and ready for their passenger. "Everybody, stand clear now!" he called back to the collected crowd. "It ain't no hospital wagon, but it's what we got." He shifted the heavy tractor into reverse and, with a practiced touch on the wheel and just the slightest touch on the accelerator, started it rolling slowly backwards towards the tree. He didn't have to get it close; just close enough that they could maneuver George nice and safely onto the wide back end.

[I think this is a Drive + Dexterity roll. Chuck is purposefully taking it nice and slow, and his target is fairly large.]

SiuiS
2012-08-16, 11:00 PM
"Thank ya kindly, Sheriff." Nick grabs the tossed tape, and gives George a once-over. "here's the plan, coz." his voice, chipper as a songbird, angled to hit John as well.

"I'm gonna make a line out of the tape wrapped around this here branch. And then, when we got that, I'm gonna hold the other end. That's where you come in. I'm gonna have you hol' the rope under your arms, in the middle here, and I'll lower ya down. Between the rope and the tree, you should slide all gentle-like into the sheriff's waitin' clutches."

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee468/WizardPony/examples/4DFA7642-0F69-4EC8-95EE-00D59D05AA5F-3926-000004625CEA0D63.jpg

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee468/WizardPony/examples/D351A1E9-8EF4-4876-82F0-1356375D1252-3926-0000046264742C2C.jpg

Now, lemme jus' wind this here tape around the bole... And... Sorry chuck!" He shouts. "I'm gonna end up usin' all of it!"

Nick sets to work. Duct tape, being a universal constant of lazy do-it-yerselfers across the globe, had some well understood properties. Like it bonds to itself more than anything else (except skin, damn stuff won't let go of skin once it's bonded), and it's a damn sight harder to break when you twist it. Nick pulls a bit of a tail lead, holding it off the bark. Wrapping the roll several times sound to give it firm anchor, he then wraps the tail around to stabilize the anchor, and pulling the roll out, spirals it into a twelve foot long string, before going back down the other way, spiraling again and again for support. the full roll comes out to an end, and tossing the cardboard tube away, slings the "rope" up under George's arms, coils the rest so he can feed it out, and braces himself on the other side of a sturdy branch.

"Y'all ready to do this, Red?"

making a request that duct tape crafts be a rote action. That's a tall order, but I've learned how to make hunting snares just from LARP set pieces; the homeless I know who use it, can use it for damn near everything.

Regardless, this would probably be a crafts check? Requesting wits, since it's not about hard evidence but on extrapolating on the fly. Even rote, that puts me at a single die, so.

Finally, lowering George is kind of cheating. It works off of my high school knowledge of pulleys an related systems of weight dispersal, which is beginning algebra. Chrysalis might not have that, so he rigged the idea from ol pirate movies. No idea what I'd use there, except bracing herself for a long, slow descent of the rope would be stamina over strength maybe.

Anarion
2012-08-16, 11:16 PM
Chuck gets the tractor over to the tree with minimal trouble, though it takes him a while as it bucks about and he keeps having to readjust it [no need to roll for that, you're under no time pressure and you're not going to break anything if you're being careful.

[Is Chryssie still going ahead with her plan if the tractor is there? If so, I'm going to say dex+acrobatics because the tough thing here is lowering George without banging his leg at all, and that's going to be a task with a -2 penalty because you have to be slow and super careful even with all the time in the world.]

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-16, 11:16 PM
Being right near the dead near Rayna watched the Doctor curiously as she gave up on doing anything with her wound. It would need more but nothing she was doing seemed to be make a difference. She'd just have to continue to endure it seemed. The Doctor behavior though interested her.

"Should not you be helping the others with their rescue of the injured party Doctor Armstrong?" She asked, wasn't that was doctors were supposed to do afterall, "I have strong doubts that it will get back up and walk away."

When the tractor started Rayna gave it a brief glance. Machines puzzled her greatly though she had learned not to admit it much. How fast could the machine go, the ones she passed in the fields seemed much slower then her automobile. And it seemed such things need a different ritual to make them move as well. Machines were strange beasts indeed.

On an off hand though Rayna checked to see if there would be any place she might perch herself and still give priority to those still in the tree.

SiuiS
2012-08-16, 11:49 PM
"Alright, here we... Oh, we'll shucks. You're a right fast one with those repairs, coz. Okay, fine. New plan. How's about Miss Blue, you step your long legs on up this tractor here and help pull down our wounde friend all gentle-like? You're stronger than I am, and that's the truth."

Brazen Shield
2012-08-17, 12:36 AM
John took a step back and watched the group, for the most part, work together.

Once they got back to town he'd borrow the Sheriff's SUV and drive George to the nearest hospital. However, until then now was a good a time as any to start asking the important questions.

"Hey George.... From the beginning: what happened?"

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-17, 01:15 AM
"If you feel that I could accomplish the task better then I will assist you." Rayna said as she moved over to where the operation was taking place. As she moved over she made looked for a place where she could recieve the wounded man from Nicholas or if she would have to climb up into the tree herself.

SiuiS
2012-08-17, 02:02 AM
"If ya stand on the back o' the tractor, you should be able to grab George here like a babe." Nick flashes his electric grin once again. "And if ya gotta go to heaven, Georgie boy, aren't those the arms ya wan to deliver you?" he winks.

if George passes out and the child can be distracted, would Rayna be able to carry him and still glide? She may be his best bet, just showing up at the hospital is probably our best recourse... If Rayna knows the roads enough to fun it. I'd suspect so, seeing as flying around for kicks is her past time.

Anarion
2012-08-17, 01:43 PM
[There are enough of you to spot and steady the tractor that no roll is required for your current plan unless you want to try and rush. If you rush, Rayna and Chryssue should roll dex+athletics, no penalty.]

As you lower him, George relates the story. "Ain't really much to tell. I was out with the tractor workin the field over yonder." *he points* " then I saw the boy walkin and a wanderin. Drove over to pick him up. Figured, kids like cars and trucks, maybe he'd accept a rise, tell me where he got lost. No sooner does he get on the tractor, than that thing comes a runnin. Claws up the wheel and tries to get at us. I grabbed the kid and jumped off the other side, and sprinted for the tree faster than a dog that took one sniff too many at a beehive." *he chuckled, then grimaces* "That's about it. Climbed the tree list my leg, lucky you got here when you did sheriff."

Forum Explorer
2012-08-17, 02:59 PM
"Hey can we hook this corpse up to that tractor? I want to take a closer look at this thing in the morning when I've got some proper equipment." Dr. Armstrong asks.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-17, 04:49 PM
Rayna listened to George while carefully lowering him from the tree then took care to support him even as he left the tree. While keeping stready support she looked for a place on the tractor to set the farm hand down.

It seemed then that the child was the root of the situation. Everyone seemed to have all but ignored him so far. Then again she wasn't sure if the he had said even a single word before. How... odd.

"Well then it seems we should be directing out questions at the boy then," she says to no one in particular

It occured to Rayna she'd give the boy almost no consideration before now. When she had a moment Rayna gave the boy a more detailed glance, covering it with the friendliest smile she could manage.

"Would you like help getting down as well after we are done here?" She said directly to him.

Rayna is certainly sticking with the plan that doesn't need dice rolling. She will support him as long as nessecary too.

After that I suppose we can start with a basic perception roll on the kid. I didn't pull the book out for a moment but Wits+Composure right?

SiuiS
2012-08-17, 05:26 PM
Nick rolls his head languorously. "Actually, doc, it's best we leave it here for now, if ya don't mind. The sheriff and I got business here-" a sharp look at John, a signal of sorts, "- and not only do we not want a scent trail all the way back to th' farm, y'see, but draggin' a corse over hill an' dale, why there's be nothin' left to study!" He tries to lock gazes with doctor Armstrong, never sure how much weight the other give to the fey half of their natures.

Rayna breaks in and Nick begins a slow nod. That's a good point.

"Alright then. You wanna help me out here, sheriff?" he drawls, hunkering down by the boy. "Listen, sport. I know this is a strange thing what happened, this big ol' wolf, and bein' up that tree. But John over there, he's the sheriff. He makes sure people are safe, an' we all like to help him much as we're able, ain't that right friends? So don't worry your head none, sport. Sheriff John and me, we are gonna take care of these wolves and keep y'all safe. So tonight when y'all sleep, don't worry, sheriff John is gonna be there to keep you safe, and your safety and comfort is all we need, okay sport?"

pledge of horn and bone
Type: vow
Tasks: Dreaming -2, forbiddance -1
Boons: glamour +2
Sanction: N/A
Duration: 1 week +1
Invocation: free(?)

Pledge to guard and soothe the child's dreams, with the added bonus of being able to root around to learn, so long as no harm is done.

Phrased such as to include whoever agrees, so possibly the whole motley could get in on this, although only John really needs to agree to sell it. I am banking on john's presence, my manipulation, and a child's penchant to nod affably whenever an adult soothingly says it will be alright, keep your chin up okay?

Anarion
2012-08-17, 11:35 PM
It occured to Rayna she'd give the boy almost no consideration before now. When she had a moment Rayna gave the boy a more detailed glance, covering it with the friendliest smile she could manage.

Rayna is certainly sticking with the plan that doesn't need dice rolling. She will support him as long as nessecary too.

After that I suppose we can start with a basic perception roll on the kid. I didn't pull the book out for a moment but Wits+Composure right?

[Wits+investigation I'd say. Wits+composure is passive perception, actively taking a look is investigation. I'll give you some more description just based on asking, if you are still unsatisfied, go ahead and make a roll and tell me what details you want to know.]

The boy is maybe 11 or 12 years old. He looks to be just under 5 feet tall, maybe a little short for his age, but his face and build makes you pretty sure that he's not younger than 10. You'd guess that he weighs around 90 lbs. His hair is a brownish-blonde, like dirty straw, and it's messed up all over his head just like dirty straw. He has pale blue eyes. He's pale and blanched right now, but looks like he's actually got a bit of a tan normally.

He's wearing a plain white t-shirt that's just a tad small for him, like he's grown a bit recently and hasn't gotten around to getting a new wardrobe. He's also wearing a pair of blue jean overalls that button at the back, and then white socks and a pair of grey Nike sneakers. There's a big wet spot around his crotch and partway down his legs, which he looks like he's trying to hide based on how he's adjusting himself on the branch. His hands and arms are a bit dirty. It's hard to tell if that's from playing outside, or occurred while climbing the tree.

He has said one word so far, which was "'kay" in response to John speaking to him about getting him down.

"Alright then. You wanna help me out here, sheriff?" he drawls, hunkering down by the boy. "Listen, sport. I know this is a strange thing what happened, this big ol' wolf, and bein' up that tree. But John over there, he's the sheriff. He makes sure people are safe, an' we all like to help him much as we're able, ain't that right friends? So don't worry your head none, sport. Sheriff John and me, we are gonna take care of these wolves and keep y'all safe. So tonight when y'all sleep, don't worry, sheriff John is gonna be there to keep you safe, and your safety and comfort is all we need, okay sport?"

pledge of horn and bone
Type: vow
Tasks: Dreaming -2, forbiddance -1
Boons: glamour +2
Sanction: N/A
Duration: 1 week +1
Invocation: free(?)

Pledge to guard and soothe the child's dreams, with the added bonus of being able to root around to learn, so long as no harm is done.

Phrased such as to include whoever agrees, so possibly the whole motley could get in on this, although only John really needs to agree to sell it. I am banking on john's presence, my manipulation, and a child's penchant to nod affably whenever an adult soothingly says it will be alright, keep your chin up okay?

The boy nods his head. "Okay mister, ah'll trust you" he says, his voice a high boy's voice of the sort that might sound amazing in a choir.

[Please tell me who is actually taking the oath. I've got Chryssie so far, is anyone else making the same deal?]

Brazen Shield
2012-08-18, 12:51 AM
john'll take that oath too.

Dreams?... Good idea.

John looked at Nick with interest. He nodded in agreement and took a few steps up the tractor, till he was close enough to smell the boy. Holding a large arm out towards the boy to help him out of the tree, John smiled.

Poor thing must've been scared.... Or... a very canine thought ran through john's head. He's deal with that little tidbit later.

"Come on, son: let's get you down."

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-18, 06:03 AM
A sharp, almost stinging feeling, all up Chuck's nose and deep into his bones. Magic. Nothing else felt quite like it. He couldn't pretend to know what backwards reason Nick felt like getting that sort of thing involved in this business, when they were just a tractor ride away from finishing up, but he wasn't having any part of it. "Yeah, sure, helpin' th' sheriff help folks." he said halfheartedly for the kid's sake. But in his heart, the part contracts listened to, he was resolute: Take your fancy mystical promises somewhere else, I don't want no part of it.

Forum Explorer
2012-08-18, 08:44 PM
Dr. Armstrong sighed. "I suppose you're right. But by the time I can get back here tomorrow the conditions of this specimen will almost certainly be ruined. I guess all I can do is to collect what samples I can tonight and pray that it will be more or less intact when I return tomorrow.

Could I borrow that blade of yours Rayna?"

SiuiS
2012-08-18, 09:15 PM
"Alright, I'll stay here with the good doctor then, while y'all go on your way. Do me a favor, sheriff, and being back some food and water when y'all come back? Best to see George here to the hospital, but I definitely want to check out this lead."

Nil cast a sidelong glance at Rayna, who was once again off in thought. Flying among the stars she was composed of, he supposed. There was good chance she could come back from uffish thought in time to agree, but if she wasn't careful, the pledge would pass her by. Nick was concerned enough about her timing that he dropped his disguised diction for a moment, before smiling bak at the crew once more. "Y'all make haste now! Good men need good treatment, and we can see if anyone reported a missing' child while we are at it... And uh, don't forget, we're gonna need to stop by your office when we're done, Red."

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-19, 02:35 AM
"Even a promise without sanction should not be made so lightly," Rayna muttered quietly upon seeing what Nicholas was up too. Such a pledge was common enough but rarely was even the most minor done so swiftly upon meeting.

While her fellows busied themselves with that Rayna carefully situated George as best she could on the tractor. That done she let the poor man down to await the groups departure.

The Doctor's question made Rayna pause and she answered only slowly, "With respect no. This was.... a present... and not for casual cutting. If you've a need of something cut you can direct me and I will see what I can do."

Anarion
2012-08-19, 07:05 PM
Oathtakers only (which I think is just John and Chryssie)
When the oath is complete, the bonds of Wyrd settle in place, like almost visible strings of power tying into your soul. These ones snap tight, like you can't breathe for just an instant, they're wrapped so tight, like a steel cord around your heart. Then the pressure eases and the oath is complete.

"Come on, son: let's get you down."

After the oath and John's reassuring words, the boy looks like his color is coming back to him, and he's a bit less pale. He edges towards John and lowers his legs so that John can get a firm hold of him, though he blushes crimson when John gets a full frontal view of him. To John's nose, he smells a vile combination of fear, relief, and piss.

Forum Explorer
2012-08-19, 09:41 PM
"Well I wouldn't consider this 'casual cutting' though if I had a choice I wouldn't use your blade. As is can you take off it's head and most of it's neck? I think I can get the most data from that."

Brazen Shield
2012-08-19, 10:06 PM
John smiles, though to his nose the smell is almost overwhelming. He picks the boy up and sets him down on a empty part of the tractor.

John planned to walked back, and made a mental note on where they were and where his sense told him he should follow later. He reached into his pack for a water bottle and offered it, still sealed, to the boy. Then he gave another to George and offered water to any who wanted one.

"Can you walk?" he asked the boy, quietly. "Or would you rather ride back?"

SiuiS
2012-08-19, 10:33 PM
"Well, you all go ahead an' figure this out, I suggest th' Sheriff gets these two back t' town, toot-sweet. You know, the lost child and the severely wounded farmhand, over there."

Nick looks up and turns to Rayna, as if he had a sudden idea. "Why, we should get that tractor goin', huh? Why, you could get home on your ownsome better than any of us, Miss Blue!"

Anarion
2012-08-20, 04:38 AM
"Can you walk?" he asked the boy, quietly. "Or would you rather ride back?"

"I...I think I can walk" he says. He looks uncomfortable, and steps gingerly off the tractor, but he doesn't appear to be hurt."

"Well, you all go ahead an' figure this out, I suggest th' Sheriff gets these two back t' town, toot-sweet. You know, the lost child and the severely wounded farmhand, over there."

Nick looks up and turns to Rayna, as if he had a sudden idea. "Why, we should get that tractor goin', huh? Why, you could get home on your ownsome better than any of us, Miss Blue!"

The tractor is missing a tire that will make it extremely difficult to drive where you want for any extended period of time. It will also make the ride quite bumpy and, given the distance, could throw off the alignment of the vehicle. If you want to do a patch up job, you'll need some kind of material that serve as a tire, though even a little bit could go a long way with Faerie magic.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-20, 04:59 AM
While the others had been fussing with the tree and the boy, Chuck had been giving their ride back a thorough look-over. Mayhaps he hadn't said his prayers right yesterday, or something was just plain cursing his luck. Any more driving might plain ruin the whole dang tractor, not to mention give everybody a bumpier ride than a spooked stallion. In hindsight, bringing a tire repair kit might've been a good idea.

"'Fraid Nick's got a point, this here tractor ain't gonna do George no good when it shakes us halfway 'cross town. Don't suppose any of ya'll thought t'bring some spare rubber?" He shot a pointed glance at Nick. "Or any duct tape left? That'd come in real handy right about now." True, he could work a little magic and have this tire fixed lickety-split, but no sense in breaking the laws of nature if you didn't have to.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-20, 08:06 PM
Rayna blinked once and shook her head a little, then hefted her blade a little when she spoke, "Doctor this is neither an axe nor a saw. It is made to pierce and slice, not take off limbs. I'd not try it on an ordinary sized wolf much less one bigger than I. You shall have to dismember it later, consider my offer withdrawn."

Though her blade was special in more ways then one, Rayna did not want to put its the elegant weapon's durablity to the test. Even were that not the case she'd not spend time hacking away at the beast corpse. She'd though the Doctor would ask from a slice of the beast's flesh or some such. This requested offended her, though it never occurred to her perhaps a bit too much.

Moving to the other conversation Rayna thought for a moment. So the machine was no good? Why? No it did not matter.

"If the machine is no good the let us leave it here and practice a division of efforts. A few of us remain here to porter George back slowly while others run ahead and bring more able assistance."

Despite her leg Rayna knew she was among the more fit and tried to think if she'd be able to manage the wounded man over her shoulder for the distance. Not that she planned on doing it alone.

Would you consider Str 3 sufficient to fireman's carry George for the distance. Or what kind of roll?

Anarion
2012-08-20, 08:31 PM
[str 3 is sufficient. If it's only you the entire way, one stamina+athletics check at no penalty to represent endurance would be required. If you fail it, you have to stop and put George down and can only walk at an easy pace for a half hour or so to recover. You can hand him off to others as well to avoid the check.]

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-20, 08:50 PM
"If the machine is no good the let us leave it here and practice a division of efforts. A few of us remain here to porter George back slowly while others run ahead and bring more able assistance."

"No, no, no, that's not what I meant at all." If they took all the effort to carry the man back, then he might get worse before they could return. Not to mention they'd be up a creek if another of them wolves showed up. Chuck looked to the kid and the still-conscious George; he had to choose his words carefully here. "I can fix th' tire up. If nobody has anything I can patch it with, then it'll just take...a little more elbow grease to get it runnin', but it'd be worth it. Tractor's th' best way of gettin' George here back safe."

SiuiS
2012-08-20, 09:59 PM
"Maybe not, cousin."

Nick is staring at the tree, arms akimbo, planning out his tarp placement if he's going to stay, and shouting over his shoulder. "Can you drive, miss Blue? Y'are our best runner, after all. I'd go so far as to say ya dang-near fly once you get goin! If you could get to town an' drive back, if we have a vehicle between the lot of us, it might be faster'n just drivin' out on a tractor. What do y'all say, professional opinion like? Do we have a car, an is it far enough speeding' down fields would be faster?"

Anarion
2012-08-20, 10:04 PM
[I give no opinion on the merits of Chryssie's latest idea, but I do note that Jose certainly owns a car.]

SiuiS
2012-08-20, 10:49 PM
as an OOC thing, can I get an estimation of the distance we are from the farm, and the farm's distance from the sheriff station? And a guess as to tractor speed, s'il vous plaît

Forum Explorer
2012-08-20, 10:55 PM
The Doctor just grunts in reply to Rayna taking back her offer. He should have expected as much. "You know I'm not in any rush. I suppose I'll just bring the whole think to town, even if it takes all night."

Anarion
2012-08-20, 11:07 PM
as an OOC thing, can I get an estimation of the distance we are from the farm, and the farm's distance from the sheriff station? And a guess as to tractor speed, s'il vous plaît

The party is presently 5 miles from Jose's farm, and the farm is about 1/3 of a mile out from the center of town.

Brazen Shield
2012-08-21, 01:05 AM
John sighed. They were spending a lot of time figuring out what to do when they were all good idea's.

"There's no reason we can't do all of the above." The sheriff looked around and took inventory. A broken ride that would move, but not fast or far. Some water, no food and dying man. "I'll carry George. I'm sure you're the fastest, Rayna. Do you think you could run on up to José's and borrow his car?" He reached into his pocket and took out his wallet, complete with his badge and ID. Everyone in town knew him, so it wasn't like he would need it. "Give him this, so he knows it an emergency when you tell him."

He turned to the machine. "Chuck, you say you can get that thing running? Do what you can. Nick, Doc? Mind staying here and helping out? Doc, you can take a closer look at that wolf, figure anything out while you can, and keep Chuck company. Also, I'm sure that tractor can handle the body of that wolf if Chuck can fix the tire. I will take the boy and George on a walk, hopefully meeting Rayna part of the way. It's a 2 hour walk back to the farm either way, either a car of that tractor can help, but staying put is a bad idea."

John was the best second choice. Rayna was hurt, but still fast. He could smell another wolf coming a mile away, and he still had a clip on his belt and missing only one bullet in his gun.

He looked around, waiting for either a better idea or agreement.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-21, 01:11 AM
Chuck tapped his chin with a metallic finger. The plan seemed mostly sound; either Jose would get here first with his car, or they could ferry him closer with the tractor once it was up and running. But "mostly" sound weren't good enough when there were giant wolves on the prowl. "Sheriff, if more of them things are out there, they're gonna head straight for you. We got a tree we can hide in an' snipe 'em down, Miss Rayna'll give 'em a run for it, that just leaves you with a six-shooter, and two who'll just slow y'down. Y'shouldn't be takin' it all on your lonesome, an' I ain't gonna need two extra pairs o' hands here." He gestured to the Doctor sitting by the wolf and Nick doing some strange dance over by the tree. "Seein' how th' Doc wants t'take a look at th' wolf, that'd just leave Nick there."

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-21, 01:40 AM
Rayna took the wallet from John with a nod. It did make sense for her to go forth if they would deal with George.

"A fair plan Sheriff Gryphon I shall return post haste and bring aid to our party," She said and wasting no further time took off at a jog in the direction they'd come in picking up speed as she went.

Rayna's speed is 11, and she's keeping a swift but sustainable pace. Any sort of roll you'd like made?

Also Rayna can spend a point of Glamour to increase her speed by 1 for a scene would that be able to shorten the trip?

Anarion
2012-08-21, 01:48 AM
Rayna's speed is 11, and she's keeping a swift but sustainable pace. Any sort of roll you'd like made?

Also Rayna can spend a point of Glamour to increase her speed by 1 for a scene would that be able to shorten the trip?

[Speed 11 means you can go 22 yards in 3 seconds at a run. This ends up at close to 14 mph, which actually means you can do the run in an impressive 21.5 minutes. That's at a full sprint though, and would call for an athletics check at a steep penalty. Figure at speed 11 you can do the run in about 30 minutes without exhausting yourself. Speed 12 moves you up closer to 16 mph, which lets you do the run at 18:45 at a full sprint. At a more leisurely pace, it would be about 25 minutes.]

SiuiS
2012-08-21, 01:49 AM
"I'll go if'n y'all want me to, but I ain't nothin' but a stick to shake at 'em if the big dogs come a-callin'. But don't you be doin' too much to that corse doc, we may need it where it is. For, y'know, evidence an' such."

going to review my contracts. Want to see if there is any way for me to tell if my ghost plan even has any merit. Checking will close my page though? So I'll be back.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-08-21, 02:04 AM
[Speed 11 means you can go 22 yards in 3 seconds at a run. This ends up at close to 14 mph, which actually means you can do the run in an impressive 21.5 minutes. That's at a full sprint though, and would call for an athletics check at a steep penalty. Figure at speed 11 you can do the run in about 30 minutes without exhausting yourself. Speed 12 moves you up closer to 16 mph, which lets you do the run at 18:45 at a full sprint. At a more leisurely pace, it would be about 25 minutes.]

Rayna shall spend the Glamour for speed 12 and the well paced run for 25 minutes.

To RPed with flowery prose sometime after I get some sleep.

Forum Explorer
2012-08-21, 02:14 AM
"What on Earth are you talking about Nick? This isn't a crime scene we don't need to worry about evidence. I just need to preserve this specimen so that I can figure out how this wolf ticks." Dr. Armstrong says idly as he collects some hair samples, taking care to get the whole root.

SiuiS
2012-08-21, 04:52 AM
Nick sighed. Of course the doctor wouldn't get the hint. Lost in his own academic world at the best of times, being faced with his scientific hobby being useful innured him completely to Nick's ample charms. Only one thing for it.

Nick's eyes scrunch up, and his face blotches a slow red with effort. Chanting a little nonsense ditty in his head to focus with, and help him blot out the glaring light, the heat, the visibility that was an ever present threat to Nick's very sense of existence and reality. He strides to the tree, slinking around to shade himself from the glare of the sun, hopin it's branches an bole would be sufficient.

And then his eyes open in a flash.

using a point of willpower (:smallannoyed:) to overcome the effects of sunlight on my contracts. Without direct sunlight that's 4 dice; 3 WP, 1 presence, 1 Wyrd, -1 for daylight hours. If you deem it's still direct sunlight, I'll knock off the furthest right die.
Activating Ghostly Presence.
Ghostly Presence (•)
The dead are among us, unseen and unheard by the living. This clause allows the changeling to see, hear and speak to any ghosts in her area (same room, or conversational distance outside) in Twilight for a scene.
Cost: 1 Glamour
Dice Pool: Presence + Wyrd Action: Instant
Catch: The ghost is someone the changeling knew in life, or the changeling is a Gravewight.

ROLL RESULTS
Dramatic Failure: The clause fails, but the changeling thinks she is talking to a ghost and holds a conversation with empty air.
Failure: The changeling cannot see or speak to the ghosts.
Success: The changeling sees, hears and can speak to ghosts in the area as if they were living.
Exceptional Success: The nearest other living individual is also affected by the clause — whether the changeling wants him to be or not.

... Wow. three successes, (http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee468/WizardPony/examples/RPGs/5FF64D26-EE40-40A8-A203-CFA543362506-4061-00000489E1D2CBE6.mp4) a darn sight more than expected. I'm going to regret this being the roll I cascade on...

Anarion
2012-08-21, 11:56 PM
"What on Earth are you talking about Nick? This isn't a crime scene we don't need to worry about evidence. I just need to preserve this specimen so that I can figure out how this wolf ticks." Dr. Armstrong says idly as he collects some hair samples, taking care to get the whole root.

Dr. Armstrong stores a few hairs off the beast. They come off only grudgingly from the body, and seem to have a bit of static in them as he puts them into a baggie.

And then his eyes open in a flash.

What Chryssie sees
There's no ghost of the wolf. Chryssie is surprised. There should be something, the body is right there, the spirit can't have disappeared that quickly, but there's nothing. [give me an Int+occult check if you want more info about the lack of ghost. No penalties, info detail will be based on # of successes]

What there is, however, are several other ghosts walking amidst this grove. There looks to be 10 of them, milling about forlornly. A few of them hover near other party members, others simply wander about the dell aimlessly. One old woman, her teeth gone and her hair white appears right in front of Chryssie. "What do you want, young-un? Haven't you brought enough violence to this place?"

SiuiS
2012-08-22, 03:41 AM
intelligence + occult, 1 success (2, 8)

Nick leans backward, scrunching up his face. this was... Unexpected.

Ten. Ten ghosts in an earthen circle, sheparded by an oak tree. If she had had time to bring any of this up, she would be rubbing their noses in ectoplasm. Actually, come to think of it shouldn't John be able to smell their presence? Maybe it was too crowded, too many things to pick up. Whatever. She would chide him later. Right now there was an old lady who's probably had no one to matter who would give half a fig for the last decade at least. And not a one else could see or hear her.

"I'm right sorry, ma'am, but stopping violence is why we came," Nick offers in a stage whisper, "and now we have to get the survivors back. But we will return, if'n you'd be inclined to share."

Forum Explorer
2012-08-22, 07:30 PM
Dr. Armstrong poked his hand into one of the wolf's wounds and drained a little of the blood into another baggie. He also took a quick taste of the blood on his hands when no one is looking.

"Well I might as well get started dragging this thing." He says before grabbing the legs and beginning to head back home.

Anarion
2012-08-22, 07:35 PM
Ghost talk
"You can't stop the violence. Do you even realize where you are? They come into the world here. They have forever. It's a place of panic and terror and you'd best get out while the gettin's good."

[ooc aside. John can't smell the ghosts, as they're in Twilight and not interacting in any way with the material world. The emotional smell of the place was described to him and includes fear and chasing, which is what the ghosts would reflect.]

Dr. Armstrong poked his hand into one of the wolf's wounds and drained a little of the blood into another baggie. He also took a quick taste of the blood on his hands when no one is looking.

"Well I might as well get started dragging this thing." He says before grabbing the legs and beginning to head back home.

Try as he might, Doc Armstrong can't move the corpse even an inch. It's far too heavy.

Brazen Shield
2012-08-23, 12:26 AM
John shook his head. He didn't have time to argue over whether he could take care of himself or the other normal humans. He didn't feel like sitting around being usless, he asked silent permission from George and picked the man up in a fireman's carry. John settled the farmhand over his shoulders in a comfy posistion, nodded to the boy to follow, and started walking back toward José's farm.

what was the roll for carrying George?

Anarion
2012-08-23, 01:00 AM
Strength stuff
First, extended carrying is 25 lbs per point of strength. At one time, John can lift a max of 100 lbs, and if he rolls strength+stamina with at least one success, he can lift George. However, that's for an immediate action. John wouldn't be able to move while carrying George and would suffer a -10 penalty to his speed and to all physical actions. Odds on bet that attempting to walk would involve him overbalancing and falling over. You need a strength 3 character to be able to lift George and effectively carry him, or two characters working together.

SiuiS
2012-08-23, 01:55 AM
I would like to suggest that a trained officer doing a fireman's carry would be a rote action at worst, if only because once you have the person up they are rather well balanced. Perhaps the knowledge could be considered an affective tool? Far be it from me to suggest the game should conform to reality, but that's a little odd, I think.

Nick turns away from the spirit, rolling his eyes at John's antics. "Lemme help ya out there, Red."

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-23, 05:53 AM
Chuck dropped his pack on the ground next to the tractor and started rifling through the contents. John could try and hoist George up 'till the wolves came calling again, and they'd still be in this pickle. With any luck, the tractor would be a lot less stubborn. Just fix the wheel, and it should run fine. Unfortunately, in his haste to get going this morning, he'd completely neglected to bring even a scrap of rubber. Of course the tires, and not the engine, would conk out in this terrain. What good were some odd nuts and bolts anyhow?

But the mechanic still had a few tricks up his short sleeves. He plucked out a few good clumps of praerie grass and laid them down next to the tire, arranging them in a long strip about the size needed to patch the hole up. A quick glance told him the others were all focused on their own tasks; now or never, as it were. He started taking long, deep breaths, each exhale smelling a little more of smoke and sulfur. He could feel the heat building inside him, pneumatics whining under the pressure and gears cranking up to a fever pitch. Easy now, Chuck, just gotta...hold it together...'til that tire's done... Fingers twitching with magical energy, he got to work on the tire.

[Going to invoke the Brief Glamour of Repair to fix the tire, and spending a point of Willpower to boost my chances. That's 4 + 1 + 1 Willpower, and maybe 1 for the specialty in Jury-Rigging? Either a 6 or 7 die total. Spending a point of Glamour to do so, just in case the Addiction comes into play.]

Anarion
2012-08-23, 04:20 PM
Response to Chryssie's previous occult roll
With one success, Chryssie suspects that the wolf is actually a creature of either Faerie or the hedge, but clealry something fae-related, which is why it lacks a ghost. Unfortunately, Chryssie's knowledge of the occult isn't high enough to pin down what type of creature this is or where in Faerie/the hedge it came from.

[Going to invoke the Brief Glamour of Repair to fix the tire, and spending a point of Willpower to boost my chances. That's 4 + 1 + 1 Willpower, and maybe 1 for the specialty in Jury-Rigging? Either a 6 or 7 die total. Spending a point of Glamour to do so, just in case the Addiction comes into play.]

Repair roll
You don't have the proper tools to change out a tire (regular screwdriver won't do it), so that's -1. Willpower, however, is worth 3 dice, not just 1. Specialty applies. So final pool is 7 dice.

SiuiS
2012-08-23, 05:00 PM
"Alright, I gotcha." Nick moves behind John, supporting the load as best he's able. This was going to be a long march, and he werent looking forward to it...

"Real quick-like though, coz. When y'all get that tractor working, you're gonna wanna Ross that body up on the back an skedaddle. This ain't a place y'all want to linger y'know?"

Hopefully they trust him enough to take his advice. If not, well, they'd have something to do when they get back, at least. "Come on, Red. Let's mosey."

Forum Explorer
2012-08-23, 07:10 PM
"Alright." Dr. Armstrong nodded. He moved over to where Chuck was working, giving up for now on moving the corpse.

"Anything I can do to help?"

Can I assist to increase the chances?

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-23, 08:38 PM
A grunt of affirmation was all Nick would get. Little did the smelly hobo know that was about all Chuck could manage now. Even through the rationing, even though he was careful not to overuse it, the Glamour rush caught him by surprise every time. His heart (if those devils hadn't made off with it) threatened to burst out of his chest, sending waves of sparking, euphoric energy crashing through him and sweeping away his own cautioning voice of reason. Every turn of his gears, every breath he took, it all felt so dang good. Anything that wasn't the tire in front of him disappeared under his tunnel-visioned focus. His hands grasped at the grass and tire, moving with inhuman speed as the rubber and plant seemed to merge and become one.

Somewhere, a voice called out, asking something about help. "Don't need no help, I feel right as rain!" he called back cheerfully without taking his eyes off his work.

[I'm not sure if the Doc can help out or not; this is a Contract, and he doesn't have any points in Craft to begin with. In any case, I'll make the roll once Anarion rules on it.]

Anarion
2012-08-23, 08:56 PM
[I agree with Amish that the Doc can't really assist on this.]

Brazen Shield
2012-08-23, 09:18 PM
John lifted George up, got him on his shoulders and then stopped.
Of it was one thing John learned as a hunter it was limits. John sighed: he was getting old....

He could lift George but he already knew walking was out of the question. Embarrassed, John accepted Nick's help graciously and they managed a tedious balancing act for the maimed farm hand.
He could see Chuck was busy and the Doc didn't really care, so he let it be.

"Ready Nick?" John then looked down at the kid and smiled. "Stay close, please."

SiuiS
2012-08-23, 09:48 PM
"No problem Red."

Nick turns back over his shoulder. He hates having to leave behind evidence like this, but it had to be done. With luck, at least the spirits would be able to help out with information when he came back. At night, when comfortable, and in her own skin, too. That would be a treat!

"We could sure use some assistance over here, doc. Keepin' George steady aunt no mean feat."

Anarion
2012-08-23, 10:33 PM
Doc: the blood appears to be normal wolf blood, with a slightly stale taste.

John: with Nick's help, you have no trouble working George into a stable position to carry. When you call for the boy, however, you see that he's not paying any attention to you. Rather, having forgotten both his fear and embarrassment, he's wandered over near Chuck and watching the "repairs" with rapt attention.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-23, 10:52 PM
[I agree with Amish that the Doc can't really assist on this.]

[Okay then, rolling for repair]

Repair: [roll0]

Bonus die: [roll1]

[I give up. I'm half-tempted to just not roll anything for the next six weeks until I get my physical dice from home.]

Anarion
2012-08-23, 10:54 PM
Fey magic is a finicky thing. When you're not quite looking at it, everything seems to work perfectly, but when you really need it, well, that's most often the time that it deserts you.

Chuck might be able to fix anythin, but he ain't no miracle worker. That tire is gone as gone can be, and puttin a bit of grass and dirt on it ain't gonna change that.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-23, 11:12 PM
Chuck's eye twitched. Ordinarily, he might slow down, take a breather, maybe fetch a sip of water, wait until his mind was clear, and try again. Ordinarily, he didn't have fey magic coursing through his veins either. All that joy and bliss turned to wrath in the blink of an eye.

This tire. This tire was mocking him. Sitting there on the tractor, all busted up, refusing his loving care and devotion. Did it think it was just too good for his help? Did that tire have any idea how long he slaved in the hot praerie sun to get that grass? And did it have any idea how long he suffered at the hands of none other than the devil himself to get that magic it so easily snubbed?! Too long to let some stuck-up, stubborn-a** hunk of inanimate rubber spit on his kindness! "So that's how you want it, huh?!" Chuck raved at the tractor, a mad glint in his eye. His left arm started to shine and glisten in the sun as the mechanisms within it spun to life. With renewed fervor, he sprang back into action, arms nearly disappearing in a blur of motion.

[All the stops now. Activating the token, spending another point of Willpower, and trying the contract again. Two points of Glamour and a point of Willpower. 7 previously - 1 for repeated action + 2 from the Token for a total of +8]

Anarion
2012-08-23, 11:19 PM
[Yep, go ahead and roll it.]

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-23, 11:21 PM
[Yep, go ahead and roll it.]

[Auuuuuuuuugh c'monnnnnnnnnn daddy needs a spare tire fixed...

[roll0]

Bonus die: [roll1]

[Can I murder something now? I'd really like to murder something now. Storyteller, is it alright if something gets murdered?]

Anarion
2012-08-23, 11:49 PM
[Can I murder something now? I'd really like to murder something now. Storyteller, is it alright if something gets murdered?]

It seemed that some things just weren't meant to be fixed. Maybe fate had a different plan for 'em.

The boy goes up to Chuck and asks, quietly, "Mr. whatcha doin?"

SiuiS
2012-08-23, 11:52 PM
this is why we don't roll dice unless there's a call for it. You'll note your 'spare' dice rolls all contain a success. The dice spirits are finicky like that.

Nick, freed from his man-burden while John and George both rehoused the weight, manages to pitch his voice such that the note rises and breaks to the side, like a curve ball. "Ya havin' fun over there with that tractor and your civilian onlooker cousin?" Definitely going to get attention with that.

The response can wait though, as they have a bleeding man who needs tending. An damn if that sun didn't beat down like an angry trucker on an ornery child out here! Nick reasoned he could carry George for the shade alone and he'd be a happy mirrorskin.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-24, 05:21 AM
Anger, otherworldly joy, raw magic, it all mixed together into a choking haze of emotion swirling through his head. Nick's high tones pierced the fog for a moment in a bright ray of light. What's he going on about? Ain't it lookin' like I'm havin' a ball over here?! He plucked up a hunk of discarded rubber and flung it towards the sound; in his state, it fell hopelessly short. No matter. He'd made his point well enough. It was then he noticed the boy staring at him. Had he said something? Or was that the other voice, going on about getting a grip or something. So hard to hear sometimes, what with all the clanking and hissing and the infernal racket always going on and on and on. "Eh? Speak up, can't hardly hear anythin' with all this noise." He gestured to the mostly-silent crater, grimy hands stained green from the prairie grass.

Anarion
2012-08-24, 03:46 PM
The boy tilts his head slightly, then he cups his hands to his mouth and starts shouting like he's talking to an old, eldery person, annunciation on each word.

"MISTER, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

despite his affected shout, he looks utterly fascinated by what Chuck was just involved in, enough so that he's standing up straight and looking like a normal kid, as opposed to the wet, dirty, shaking leaf he had been up in the tree.

[bloody forum filter. I had a different word than "tilts" as the third word of this post, forgot it gets filtered.]

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-24, 08:25 PM
Chuck tilts back, as if the boy's shouts are a strong gale. With his focus shifted from tire to boy, he's coming in loud and clear. "Calm down, boy! No need t'go shoutin' a man's ear off like that." And the question, how foolish could he get? Wasn't it obvious what he was doing? "Well, I'll tell you one thing I'm not doin'; fixin' this daggum tire." He hit the offending piece of rubber with his clenched fist. "Th' darn thing just don't want t'work proper. Moody little piece of sh...rubber." he quickly corrected himself.

SiuiS
2012-08-24, 08:50 PM
Nick looks nervously at the sheriff. "You uh, you want me to check out that shoutin' John? Or should we stay the course?"

Forum Explorer
2012-08-25, 12:54 AM
Dr. Armstrong sighs as Chuck fails yet again. He hurries over to Nick and John and helps them carry the injured man.

Anarion
2012-08-25, 03:27 AM
[okay, by fiat, we're done here. If I cut off something you dearly wanted to do, tell me, we'll retcon it.]

The boy just kind of shrugs and says "oh" when Chuck tells him they're just fixing the tire. He seems disappointed somehow, like he was expecting a different answer. He turns to head back with the sheriff and Nick, though his sudden motion reminds him of his current, less than presentable state, and he blushes a bit and moves more cautiously.

And that pretty much covers the walk back. The boy trails along behind, having no trouble keeping the slower carrying pace, but looking awkward and self-conscious the whole way. George actually passes out completely about a third of the way into the trip, though he's still breathing evenly, and the final walk back to Jose's farm involves a bunch of panting changlings carrying a sack of George, and an awkward-looking boy who does his level best to hide behind John when he sees other people so that they can't get a good look at him.

Presumably, someone noticed them as they hike back up because Jose comes roaring out of his house in his car and says "Tell me what happened later. Get in, we gotta get to the doctor.l"

Anarion
2012-08-25, 03:33 AM
500 error, nothing to see here.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-25, 08:11 PM
After his twin failures, it gets through to Chuck's head that he's not fixing this tire with what he's got. Or better yet, he's not about to sit out here, alone in the hot sun trying some more. Gathering up his supplies and shouldering his pack, he ran off after the folks carrying George, muttering a constant stream of irritated incoherencies.

When Jose pulls up, he'll do what he can to get George in the car, but it seems like all these other folks have it covered.

Forum Explorer
2012-08-25, 11:23 PM
Dr. Armstrong helps to get George into the car. He quickly takes the seat beside the injured man and does his best to make sure George stays comfortable.

Brazen Shield
2012-08-25, 11:51 PM
John sits at his desk, watching as the little boy, dressed in slightly used, but clean clothes, sits on one of the opposite chairs. John's given him a bag of chips and sent the other deputy to the store for some better food.

He inspects the boy closely for the first time.

johns gonna be looking for anything that might give a clue to this boy ID, where's he's from, wether he's flash and blood... Or something else. Any smells wod be helpful too I bet.

Anarion
2012-08-26, 01:03 AM
The car speeds off to the closest hospital, George in the back seat, Jose driving, and Rayna cradling her leg in the front seat. It's a 25 mile trip, two towns over to get to a legitimate medical facility. Jose insures his employees, of course, and Rayna is overjoyed that she was born in a time period when government provides free medical care for all its citizens (well, free if you pay your taxes). Not that it's necessarily good medical care, but luckily, all she needs is some disinfectant and a couple stitches and she's good to go. The doctor does give her a stern gaze and warn her to avoid any strenuous activity for the next week, however.

The drive and the medical care (notably the fact that Rayna was low triage priority) meant that she was out for the entire remainder of the day, and didn't get home until it was dark.

Meanwhile, back in town, John brings in the boy, gets him a relatively proper change of clothes (he insists on more overalls, but couldn't care less for underwear and a shirt), sits him down with something to munch on and goes about inspecting him.

The boy
First off, have you considered, y'know, actually asking him questions? This info is just from a passive inspection while he's eating.

Cleaned up a bit, the boy looks more properly his age. His hair is clearly utterly hopeless unless you plan to upend an entire container of gel into it, and the way he slouches while he's eating makes you think that "spare the rod, spoil the child" might have been appropriate for this kid.

He appears to be flesh and blood. Without all the dirt and piss, the scent of blood coursing through his veins is there, mixed with a light layer of sweat and whatever soap he used. What's weird is all the smells surrounding him. They're smells that can be on people, but John hasn't ever felt such an eclectic collection. Sitting there perfectly calmly, John can smell what seems to be the faintest hint of ozone, the tiniest whiff of adrenaline, the scent of pure fresh water, a bit of pollen often carried on a summer's wind, and a heaviness to the air like that often felt in the mountains before a thunderstorm.

SiuiS
2012-08-26, 01:39 AM
"Nick" waits impatiently, playing with his features in the bathroom mirror. With John insisting on taking the boy down town with him, there was no way into the hollow without witnesses - there. And of course, she had never gone out through the second door they put in. So it was wait, wait until Chuck or Rayna or that Armstrong fellow could be bothered to let her in on their little accidental secret. And the whole time, he ha to keep up this haunting, haunted face. at least outside of the sun's dire gaze she could touch it up...

With a couple pieces of advice from the mirror, and some more than respirate grabbing at her old vest, she touches up her disguise before unlocking the fancy handle. Now to find Chuck, or whoever else in this godforsaken mansion 'he' comes across first.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-26, 02:44 AM
A good, few-mile hike through the blazing sun was a good way to clear a man's head. Or leave him more addle-brained than when he started. Hard to tell sometimes. All Chuck knew was that he felt awful. Hollow, the better word for it. Like a great fire had burned through his insides, leaving him just a shell of what he was. Glamour was like that; hypes you up, then tosses you in the gutter with nary a "have a nice life".

After guzzling a few canteen-fulls of water, and dumping another over his pounding head, Chuck tore through his little workshop (which was just a spare garage that Jose was letting him keep his car in) until he found the right tools for the job. Two spare tires - with his luck today, it didn't hurt to be careful - and the proper tools to change it. Now all he had to do was...hike all the way back out in the hot sun to finish the job. Ain't life grand somedays?

Nick would likely hear the rummaging coming from the garage, and then definitely spot Chuck out front, shouldering his pack and rifle once more as he headed in the direction of their little skirmish earlier.

SiuiS
2012-08-26, 03:36 AM
Rustling and shuffling, huh? That sounds indicative.

Nick flashes a smile at everyone he meets along the way out, and schmoozes an old water bottle out of one of the hands "for Chuck, dontcha know?" and goes to new the tired, addle farmhand at the gara...

Oh.

Nick smirks at himself. Can't fault that boy's Work ethic. Chuck was steady making his way off the property, and here Nick was lolligagging with the work. Huddling forward, he jogs up to the wizened. "Hey there, Chuck! Y'all want some company?"

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-26, 04:00 AM
Chuck winced as the hobo's tones pierced his ears like knives. He was half-tempted to just perform some mild bit of magic, just to try and shake this headache off. But no, he had to limit himself, ration out that Glamour, and using it as a supernatural aspirin struck him as an unwise move. Especially after he blew threw over half his stock trying to fix a single tire. He rubbed at his ears and turned to see the fellow himself bounding up after him. "Nick? Thought ya'll went back t'town with th' rest of them folks." The vinegar is gone from him, like a trapped animal that's worn itself out with hissing and biting at every living thing that crosses its path. And despite guzzling quite a bit already and having a full canteen in his pack, that fresh, cold bottle of water is looking mighty tempting. "I suppose I could. Safety in numbers y'know."

SiuiS
2012-08-26, 06:20 AM
"You alright, coz? Ya look plumb tuckered." Nicks brows cross comically in the center of his "Fairest" brow. "The heat is pretty bad but ain't nobody should look liked they've been dragged through all of Saturday night and past church Sunday mornin'. What's troubling' ya?"

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-26, 07:07 AM
"I'm fine, doin' just fine." Chuck simply replied and went for his own canteen. Didn't taste as cool and fresh as that bottle of Nick's probably did. Greener on the other side, or something like that. "Got George back alright, an' I'll get this tractor back in line just as soon as I can reach it."

SiuiS
2012-08-26, 07:15 AM
Chuck mentions the tractor and Nick stops smiling. Looking around with shifty eyes, and spying nobody, his jaw flexes, and... Her normal voice comes out, scratched around the edges.

"That tractor giving you trouble, coz?" his/her tone discordantly mocking and curious. "I hope you brought treads this time, because you've got to be running on empty. Don't give me that look, you know damn well what I mean, and it's a favor to you I don't call it by name. Don't know why you deny yourself so much."

Nick clears his throat, and and mutters a few nonsense syllables to get the chords back in order before. Beaming once more. "Ya won't mind if I relax a spell when we get there, right coz? Easier to worry about wolves and Thigs when I'm not making your job harder than it already is."

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-26, 08:05 AM
For the most part, Chuck let Chryssie have her pout. Spiteful little bugger just had to get it out of her system, had to add her own little pinch of salt to his wounds. That is, until she mentioned that bit about denying himself. Then he suddenly glowered back at her, but he hardly so much as singed her with that weak stare. As much as he wanted to be angry, knew he should be furious, his soul just didn't have the fight in it right now. "I think that'd be best." he growled at her. "An' you're not gettin' your paws on any of my tools this time."

Okay, so maybe he still had a little fight left in him.

Forum Explorer
2012-08-26, 05:11 PM
Dr. Armstrong rushes out of the hospital almost as soon as he arrives. He sets off a light jog towards his camp.

I want to move as fast as possible that's Dr. Armstrong can maintain at a sustainable rate. Do I need to make a check of any sort?

SiuiS
2012-08-26, 05:49 PM
"As you wish, coz." Nick responds to the glower by swinging his arm out slowly, proffering the refrigerated bottle. "I'm just sayin' you don't have to clap your hands, but its past time to believe in faeries, y'know?"

Unless prompted, Nick is content to spend the rest of the trip in mostl-silence, save grunting and occasionally swearing about the sun.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-26, 08:20 PM
Chuck licked his lips eagerly and snatched the bottle up when offered. Sweet merciful heavens, it tasted just as cool and refreshing as he imagined. He downed half the bottle before he could stop himself, reminded that sipping at it would make him feel far better than guzzling it all. He closed the bottle with a contented sigh. "I believe as much as I need to." he responded levelly, his tempers cooled by the drink. And that would be all he'd say on the matter, unless Nick felt like trying his luck again.

Anarion
2012-08-26, 09:02 PM
I want to move as fast as possible that's Dr. Armstrong can maintain at a sustainable rate. Do I need to make a check of any sort?

No check. Why don't you describe your camp a bit for us? Within reason.

Brazen Shield
2012-08-27, 11:43 AM
The Shierff's office had only very weak AC, and the hot day was waning past noon but the stuffy heat had still seeped into the stone building.
Like any good cop John trusted his instinct above any person's words, and he would always determine what he could about the situation on his own before asking anyone questions.

"From out of town" was an understatement. The boy was covered in an unusual collection of smells: He may have cleaned up but soap only made the "human"
stand out more.

The boy ate and John smiled at him. "So, young'n, you got a name?"

Anarion
2012-08-27, 11:55 AM
*Munch* thbilthly *Munch* he says through bites of potato chip. Then he swallows and says, properly, ma name's Billy.

Brazen Shield
2012-08-27, 12:20 PM
John's eyes twinkle: they usually did. He had a way about him, with kids especially. They took to him like kids normally do with puppies or dogs: either they loved him or ran away. He figured Billy hadn't run away from the wolf, he wasn't gonna run away from John.

"Billy, you a long way from home?" John asked, leaning back an opening his desk drawer for a pen and paper.

Anarion
2012-08-27, 01:53 PM
Billy swallows again. "Hmm, can't rightly say. Not sure where I am." He gives a shrug, as though where he is now is the most unimportant thing in the world. He then finishes the last potato chip and attempts to crumple the bag and throw it basketball style into a nearby trash can, but he misses. He makes no indication that he's going to get up and get the bag.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-27, 08:57 PM
And so, after a while of (mostly) silent walking, occasional complaints about the heat, and finishing off the cold bottle of water, Chuck and Chryssie came back to where they'd rescued George just a few hours ago.

Anarion
2012-08-27, 10:26 PM
The scene is much the same as it was when they arrived the first time. Large empty delle, single oak tree in the middle, low grasses and dirt covering the rest of the area. By the time Chryssie and Chuck arrive, it's begging to get later in the day. The sun is still out, but the sky is shifting to an orange tone, rather than the daytime blue. There are some clouds coming on the horizon as well. Dark, black ones that portend rain within a couple days, unless the wind changes.

There is, of course, no giant wolf body to be seen anywhere, although the tractor is still leaning against the tree where they left it.

Forum Explorer
2012-08-27, 10:52 PM
[assuming this is alright with everyone]

Dr. Armstrong rushes into his camp as fast as he can. Breathing heavily he jumps into his jeep and reves it into gear. He pushes his poor jeep as hard as he can in order to get back to the corpse in time. However upon his arrival and seeing nothing he begins to swear and curse.

"I knew it! I knew this would happen!" Is pretty much the only non curse words being shouted in his tantrum.

As soon as he calms down he begins looking for any sort of tracks that are visible.

Anarion
2012-08-27, 10:57 PM
The doctor conveniently arrives at just about the same time as Chuck and Chryssie.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-28, 02:41 AM
Chuck just groaned as he witnessed Armstrong tear in from out of nowhere and start shouting his head off. "Put a lid on it, Doc! Don't want th' whole dang prairie knowin' we're out here!" Shaking his head, he went to take care of that stubborn tire. At least he could finally do something a bit more productive than stuffing grass into the flat.

[With the right tools and a spare, he shouldn't need a roll, right?]

Anarion
2012-08-28, 03:45 AM
[If you don't care about time, you don't need a roll. It will take a bit though, probably about half an hour to do it slowly and carefully and double check that everything is in working order enough to avoid the roll.]

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-28, 05:21 AM
[If you don't care about time, you don't need a roll. It will take a bit though, probably about half an hour to do it slowly and carefully and double check that everything is in working order enough to avoid the roll.]

[Given his current mental state, I think Chuck wouldn't mind a bit of time to work with his hands. If something does come up, he can roll to try and finish it quickly, right?]

SiuiS
2012-08-28, 02:22 PM
"Now y'all hush. There's more to this than y'all know."

Nick scrunches his face and looks toward the horizon. Sun was goin' down, sure, but how long till the last lines of light fade? Until the shackles fall and Chryssie is free?

"This circle, here? It's full o' ghosts. Ghosts who warne me of violence, and that They get through 'round these parts. So here's hopin' nothin' happen tonight. I can't talk quite right with the sun out. It's like doin' algebra with a hangover."

Anarion
2012-08-28, 02:26 PM
Nick scrunches his face and looks toward the horizon. Sun was goin' down, sure, but how long till the last lines of light fade? Until the shackles fall and Chryssie is free?

Chryssie's best guess was that the world would be in blue-grey twilight in an hour or so, and fully dark in a couple hours, maybe two and a half hours.

SiuiS
2012-08-28, 07:10 PM
Nick moves around to the other side of the tree, in the shade, and slumps. The heat was getting to him much more than he let on, his head pounding with his pulse. Even behind his eyelids the light and heat felt like moving grains of sand. It hollowed a man out, wrung him like a sponge... And who knew how this transformation business worked? Didn't girls have less water in their cells? Nick's headache stepped up a notch.

"Y'all have any more water in that canteen? Boy, need to get me one 'f those. Ya think the city way over yonder has a military surplus?" his voice is a shredded pant. Maybe the urgency would loosen cruel fingers gripping the neck of their sweet, sweet watery supplies?

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-28, 09:27 PM
"Great. Ghosts." Chuck said dryly. "Well tell them ghosts I'll be out of their hair in a bit anyhow. If they even got hair, I don't know." He set down his pack, got his tools out, and got to work. Tires were thinking work, something easy to keep your hands busy, freeing up the head to contemplate. In this case, to give him a little sanctuary from the day. Just twist, twist, breathe, take in the evening heat, twist, twist, take off the bolt, listen to the wind, get a new bolt, hear the hobo-

"Huh?" Chuck glanced up, forcefully grabbed out of his working rhythm. Something about his canteen? Still half-full by his reckoning. For a moment, he felt the temptation to guzzle down the whole thing himself. Weren't he supposed to be all about denying or something, if 'Nick' was to be believed? But thinking back to that conversation also made him remember that fresh, cool bottle of water Nick had given him. If he hadn't done that, they wouldn't even be talking now. And Nick did sound pretty bad off now, while his head was feeling better by the minute, that was just the sort of malice that might attract the wrong kind of attention. "Do unto others..." he begrudgingly muttered as he tossed over the half-full canteen. "Don't guzzle that all at once, now." he warned as he turned his attentions back to the tire.

SiuiS
2012-08-28, 09:57 PM
Nick sticks out his arm for the canteen. Turning his head, opening hs eyes, as the "unph" of the toss registers just moments before the metal glances off his shoulder.

"Ow~!" Well, there went his charitable spirit. Especially in this heat. Still all muggy, probably from the sweat, Nick thinks. Actually, that's not a half bad retort, if her pop's old stories about being a high school bully were to be believed. Nick slips off his vest, feeling the vapory slither of glamour go with it. And this part was best done with regular sized arms...

Chryssie slides her worn sweat-shirt up over her head, shaking out her hair and stretching, rolling her shoulders. She balls up the weather worn fabric and, from a standing position now, flings it tidily onto the back of Chuck's head while he works. "Thanks, 'coz'.

She hunkers down, new than a normal girl would need to, and picks up the canteen. Clanking the metal against her teeth. Tilting, slowly to wash the water over parched tongue and sandpaper gums, and swallowing in slow, languorous gulps. She recaps the canteen when only half its contents remain.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-29, 01:05 AM
Chuck, unaware of the mishap, continued with his work. Next bolt, twist, twist, reposition, deep breath, twist, tw-*fwump!* "Augh!" He scrambled to untangle the stinking, sweaty fabric from his head. Nevermind he was always so blasted greasy, at least he knew where that grease came from. Heaven knows where that sweater had been. And now he stunk of hobo, perfect. The mechanic shot a glare at the mirrorskin, innocently drinking up his water without a care in the world. At least hunched down like that, her back made a nice, big target.

The filthy, balled-up sweater came sailing through the air, hit her in the back, and bounced off onto the ground. "...as you would have them do unto you." he quietly finished with a smirk as he got back to work.

SiuiS
2012-08-29, 01:33 AM
Experiment 1: surprising success. Unexpected results, but rewarding.

Nice retort by the by. Classy. Thumbs up!

Chryssie looks back over her shoulder, spying her sweater in the dun grass. Shrugging, she pulls a tattered bit of black out of her satchel, only recognizable as a make-shift athletic bra when she manages to shimmy it on over her head and insectoid limbs. Dusting off the now-coppery brown vest and slipping it on, she turns and rummages for the lizard corpses in her bag and then shoves in the sweater.

"Doc, you're not getting anywhere. Let's wait until dark, and we will ask what happened. I'm just as upset about it disappearing as you are." she calls over. "Do you have a lighter or some matches? I'm tired of raw lizard."

Forum Explorer
2012-08-29, 01:37 AM
Dr. Armstrong just growled in response to Chryssie. He focused on the ground and the past calling upon whatever powers he could to sharpen his senses while wracking his mind for anything useful it could remember. He would find whoever stole his specimen and he would take it back. No matter what.

So tracking roll. Spending a point of willpower should give me 2 dice. If that glamour use was a critical fail then I only get 1. Here goes!

[roll1]

Any 10 again
[roll2]
[roll1d10

I'll also do the Occult+Intelligence roll. This time I get 5 dice

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

any 10 agains
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-29, 02:00 AM
[Storytellerrrrrrrr, the creepy eyes in the darkness are doing science to my character!

Also, shucks. :smallredface:]

Chuck was already back into his work. Chyrissie could find her own dang matches.

SiuiS
2012-08-29, 02:42 AM
Chryssie, in her own skin now, clambers up the diesel scented tractor into the boughs of the tree and reclines, hoping her headache goes away.

That is not the whole story though. Is it ever? No. Secretly, in her deepest heart, the darkest recesses, there is a kernel of insecurity, anger, and a bit of doubt. Ah well not like she woul admit it.

Anarion
2012-08-29, 05:35 AM
Despite distractions, the right tools make the tractor patch-up job a foregone conclusion, and after about half an hour, a new tire is on and the thing runs like a dream. Well, a 25 mph heavy duty hauler version of a dream, but that's close enough.

Meanwhile, doc Armstrong begins rooting around the field looking for signs of the wolf. It's like it just vanished into thin air, but as the doctor circles and circles, he can feel a tug towards the northeast. There's powerful emotions coming from that way, and, as if to confirm the feeling, just a faint hint of blood on the tips of grass blades near the edge of the ring. Doc Armstrong understands from his own experience that this is a fae power, and that shifting the body into the hedge could be responsible for the sort of sudden disappearance that seems to have happened in this field.

It's also gotten a bit windy, and cooled down a fair amount as the sun sinks into the foreboding clouds.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-29, 09:03 AM
Chuck gave the ignition a twist, and the tractor roared to life. Well, there's one thing done right today. he mused to himself as he took it for a test spin.

What a beauty! To him, at least. This morning it was a struggle just to back it up near the tree. Now he could parallel park this sucker if he felt like it. "Nick! Or...whatever y'are now," he called up into the tree. "Y'got my canteen? I'm headin' back."

SiuiS
2012-08-30, 12:06 AM
"'Or whatever', really?"

Chryssie looks down at Chuck, hunched over into a squat in her tree throne. The movement ground some bark into her back, but truthfully it felt good; anything that cut through the carapace was nice. Proof she was human. Well, sort of.

"Am I even a person to you, Chuck? Am I even human? Look at me, Chuck." Chryssie's tone drops low, threatening and commanding. "Or am I just a beetle? Do you see me in these ragged clothes and just wish I'd run around on all my limbs, naked as the Lord's Truth, and just stop pretending?"

Chryssie seems to just... Unfold. Her shoes drop down and long, porous stretches of black skin appear between them and the frayed hem of her jeans, movin smoothly to the ground as her arms extend, holing on to branches twice as far up as she should by any rights be able to reach. Almost like some sick burlesque show, she flows down out of the tree, like a tar waterfall with clothes and a face. A face with watery eyes, either bright with anger or, possibly, wet with budding tears. Chuck can't tell if it's an affectation or not, though, as lying seems to be her bread and butter. And she's speaking Again, but this time her voice is lower, not commanding but husky and barely restrained.

"Well how human are you, Charles? At your best you demonize me, as that thing, that hobo, that nuisance. I'm out here trying to talk to ghosts, Chuck, god-damned ****ing ghosts in a magic circle full of werewolves because I can, and no one else can, and this is my god-damned town as much as anyone's! I'm Out here trying to make sure everything is right with the world in a damned comic book and you... Want to go home? Maybe I am just some... Thing, Chuck, but so are you, and pretending everything's fine and you're okay isn't going to help you a lick when you can't even pretend to be human!"

Forum Explorer
2012-08-30, 12:47 AM
The Hedge huh? Well it's not impossible for me to follow them but how will I track them down once I get there? Or even survive the journey. Dr. Armstrong thinks to himself before tuning into his surroundings.

"If the two of you are done fighting I need some assistance. What ways or methods do you know of to track something down in the Hedge? That's where they took my specimen after all." Dr. Armstrong says dryly.

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-30, 01:37 AM
Chuck stood, still on the tractor, with jerking, mechanical stiffness. As he took in breath after breath, the glow in his throat rose, then fell, glow, then snuffed out. His mechanisms spun themselves up, only to jerk to a crawl, lose their pressure, suddenly shut down. The accursed magic's burning grip still weighed heavily on his soul; he could bring himself to the brink of wrath, but no further.

"Y'remember that time? Back when I first got stuck in this town, when I almost asked you in broad daylight what name t'call you today? An' you plum near bit my head off fer almost blowin' your cover?" His voice was hard, a low, restrained boil of anger. "I think you might've said somethin' about y'never know when ears might be listenin' in? An' maybe you said somethin' about never bein' direct if I didn't know what t'call you, maybe use somethin' like 'whatever' instead of 'whoever', so it'd sound less suspicious? I can't quite remember, but I don't rightly care about thinkin' any harder about it now, seein' how I get my head bit off either way. "

He shook his head in disgust. "All y'had t'do was toss me my dang canteen. Heck, all y'had t'do was say, 'Hey, Chuck! There might well be a mess of werewolves all set t'rape an' pillage th' town, or maybe they're just out on vacation, I don't quite know for sure yet, anythin' y'can think t'do t'help with that? I'd ask you t'do more than think, but y'might still be runnin' on empty.' An' then toss me my dang canteen." He glared pointedly, echoing her own mocking words from not half an hour ago. It was then the doctor's voice broke the atmosphere over its knee. His mechanisms wound down, but didn't come roaring back again. That small burst of emotion left him drained, worn down. Chuck gave a sharp jerk of his head in Armstrong's direction as he sat back down in the driver's seat. "Well, y'got ghosts 'n shi...things t'talk to, I got a job t'finish. An' I guess some...pretendin' t'be...somethin'....I don't know." he said wearily. He'd think of a better line in the morning, he just knew it.

He thrust the gear stick forward, and plunked the tractor straight into Neutral. "Consarn' it all, what decade was this box made?!" he grumbled as he wrestled with the gear shift. Left to his own devices, he'd rumble out of the dip and back towards Jose's farm, but the others had more than enough time to interfere before he left.

Forum Explorer
2012-08-30, 11:49 AM
"Good point. Perhaps the dead have an idea on where and how they took it. Chryssie can you talk to them now? Or do we need to wait for night or something like that?"

SiuiS
2012-08-30, 07:05 PM
Damn. It's been a long while, but Chryssie was pretty sure she had never told anyone to call her a thing. Wasn't that an obvious social screw up? Hey you, thing, no not the potted plant, the changeling next to it. and then this... Argh!

"When ya get back, have the sheriff come on out." she hollers to Chuck's back. "We need him out here to figure this all out." with a double whirl and a high toss, she arcs the canteen easily through the lazy orange sky onto the seat as Chuck stands up to look at something.

"In the meanwhile, Doc, I can't risk it during daylight. Something to do with my seeming, we can't handle magic under the sun's influence or some junk. I got lucky last time, and that wasn't after three hours hiking in the sun on an empty stomach. We'll get our wolf parts back, mark me. But we need to be patient for now."

Forum Explorer
2012-08-30, 09:04 PM
Doctor Armstrong sighed. "Well not much to do but wait." He says as he relaxes in his jeep. He turns on the radio in some faint hope of getting a signal. Perhaps he can listen to music as he waits for nightfall.

SiuiS
2012-08-30, 11:30 PM
What? Jeep?

Maybe, Chryssie thinks, her headache was worse than she thought. How did she miss him screeching up here?

"I'm going back up into the tree..."

TheAmishPirate
2012-08-31, 12:52 AM
Chuck grabbed his canteen and stuffed it back into his pack. "Yeah, I'll be sure t'send him 'round," he called back. He rumbled away from the tree for the second time today, and out into the fields towards Jose's house. When he got back from the hospital with George, it might do him some good to see the tractor back, safe and sound.

(I'll have him reach the sheriff's office once Braz has had a chance to talk to the kid a little more.)

Anarion
2012-08-31, 05:04 PM
The time until nightfall passes uneventfully. Chuck rumbles into the distance, and Jose is very thankful when the tractor comes in. He hands Chuck an even $300 for the day's work, thanking him again for saving George's life.

[This is not a resource dot, it's just a one-time $300. Don't spend it all in one place.]

Meanwhile, the oak tree dell begins to get really chilly once the sun drops over the horizon. The wind is pushing the dark clouds in faster, if anything, and there's nothing to hold the day's heat out there. Spending a night out in the prairie could be dangerous, though thankfully, doctor Armstrong has some basic equipment in his jeep.

Forum Explorer
2012-08-31, 08:06 PM
Doctor Armstrong stretches a bit as the light fades away. "Well the sun is finally down. Lets go talk to some ghosts." He calls up Chryssie's tree.

SiuiS
2012-09-01, 07:56 AM
"... Yeah. Yeah, alright."

This was going to be somewhat unpleasant. Chryssie hadn't really done this before, not like this. But John was taking his damn sweet time, of course. And she had only ever really called up the dead once, didn't know if someone walking up would be able to notice anything.

"I suppose I can just try to initiate Red separately... Come here, Doc."
Chryssie descends from Her tree again, bringing a splinter from where that kid had broken a branch while sitting. This part was never easy, either. Her mien was always so difficult! A deep breath, two, another, and before the Third is done, Chryssie Stabs herself in the fingertip, breaking through the fleshy exoskeleton, drawing blood that looked like iridescent oil mixed with deep, resinous treesap to her eyes.

Smearing the blood on her forehead, and on the doctor's as well, she reaches down for that tingle of magic where the deals and bargains lie tight on her soul. The fear from today, fresh, was perfectly suited for this. "old one, watching crone, come to speak, for we have come to listen."

contract 2, catch; drop of blood on each participant's forehead. Manipulation + wyrd to give a ghost (the old woman from Before) the ability to be heard. Exceptional success grants additional sense, defaults to sight.

8/3/8/8/4/9

Wow. Dang! Pretty close there, but I couldnt afford the willpower. Alas.

Anarion
2012-09-01, 08:05 PM
When the magic completes, the old lady's ghost is standing right in front of Chryssie and doctor Armstrong, clearly waiting for them to finish. When they do finish, she immediately says

"Come to listen? That's the biggest load of hogwash I ever heard. If you could listen, you wouldn't be back."

Forum Explorer
2012-09-01, 08:41 PM
"Pardon me, but I have no idea what you are talking about. Care to bring me up to speed?" Dr. Armstrong says to the ghost. "If you've been hanging around here then you know what I'm after."

SiuiS
2012-09-01, 08:43 PM
Chryssie's eyebrows shift. Not so much shift though, as attempt a vertical take off from the landing strip of her face.

"Do you... Uh. Hey, what do I look like to you?"

Anarion
2012-09-01, 10:01 PM
"Pardon me, but I have no idea what you are talking about. Care to bring me up to speed?" Dr. Armstrong says to the ghost. "If you've been hanging around here then you know what I'm after."

"This is a place where They come through, and it ain't safe. If you know what's good for you, you'll turn around and leave."

Chryssie's eyebrows shift. Not so much shift though, as attempt a vertical take off from the landing strip of her face.

"Do you... Uh. Hey, what do I look like to you?"

The ghost looks at herself with a rather surprising bit of self-awareness.

"Do I look like someone that cares about appearances? You feel the same to me as before and that's all I care about."

Forum Explorer
2012-09-01, 10:28 PM
"I don't suppose you can describe who They are?" Doctor Armstrong says with a sigh.

SiuiS
2012-09-01, 10:58 PM
"well, let's slow down, Doc. Who they are isn't as importance as her expectin' us to know what she means when she says it. So she knows about the Gentry, and she knows we're Lost. I'nt that right?"

Chryssie looks damn pleased with herself. If Armstrong were paying attention, he would probably see the warning signs of her ego... Just like she would see a storm whippin' up, while she stood in the doorway o the devil's kennel before a hunt.

If the scenario keeps proving her right, Chryssie will trigger her Narcissism flaw

Anarion
2012-09-01, 11:02 PM
"Lost, is that what they're calling it now? In my day, we called ourselves the Tuatha, on account o'actually having an education. And yes girl, obviously I know what you are. Land sakes, who else would be out here in the middle of nowhere talkin to ghosts?! Course, in my day, we were less stupid too, but you're back here now, so I knew there was no hope of that problem gettin fixed."

Forum Explorer
2012-09-01, 11:09 PM
"Fascinating. Now can you focus and tell us who took my specimen? Was it the Gentry? And what can you tell us about the Hedge in these parts?" Doctor Armstrong is not paying attention at all to Chryssie's ego. He's got a wolf to find.

Anarion
2012-09-01, 11:12 PM
The ghost woman shrugs. "I dunno, I wasn't paying attention to that Faerie dog. Happy to see it gone."

This is clearly not all the information she has.

Forum Explorer
2012-09-01, 11:44 PM
Dr. Armstrong just turns to stare at Chryssie. It's clear he's not going to say anything else.

A social encounter with a character that I can't bribe or threaten? Well my skill set is useless here. :smallbiggrin:

SiuiS
2012-09-02, 12:30 AM
Chryssie shifts her weight to one foot, ***** he head, crosses her arms and rolls her eyes through her entire response. "You can't exactly be the people of Dana if you're not from Dana, wise-ass." her entire demeanor is one big flicker of okay, bored now.

"Let's be reasonable. You've got all the time in the world, so it's not like you've lost your thinkin' skills. We came here to find a faerie wolf preyin' on our people. We came back to see if that's an issue. You assure us, it is, but we can't stop it. Now that's all very autumnal of you, but we are still alive and can still get things done." Her voice dips down into friendly sarcasm before coming back up into positive, forthright notes. "And neither of us could dissuade this knuckle head if we tried. So why not be more social-like? You're stuck around here, ya may as well be nice to company. Company's more like to be nice back, that way."

not sure what trying to ingratiate mysel to a body would be. Whether its a roll, an which it would be. The more I keep her talking the more I have to work with though, so.

Anarion
2012-09-02, 02:22 AM
[I don't think you're really trying to get anything, you didn't even ask for specific info or follow-up on Armstrong's questions, so no roll at the moment.]

"Appreciate the sentiment dear. 'course, me wanting to ingratiate myself to anyone assumes I'm not just the dead reflection of a real smart autumn who fancied herself a human to her dying days. And uh, that'd be a wrong assumption, dearie."

SiuiS
2012-09-02, 03:36 AM
"Uh, y'all are a ghost. You trying to tell me that this has nothin' to do with you being a trapped soul or somethin'?"

Anarion
2012-09-02, 11:32 AM
"Trapped soul? Honey, I don't even know if the Tuatha got a soul!"

[Deja vu, eh SiuiS?]

SiuiS
2012-09-02, 06:13 PM
This would be easy if I could use Mage knowledge; there's a difference between ghosts and spirits, even spirits of people. Unfortunately, Changeling cosmology is different.

"But, you're a ghost." incredulous, or possibly worried. Confused, certainly. This.. Is not at all how she expected this conversation to go. "You're kind of a living proof-of-concept. I mean, aren't you? Uh, but, a dead one, not living, and... Ugh.

"Look, I appreciate you taking time out to look after us so long after your time, but we are going to at least find out where this thing went. We can't even talk the doctor here out of it until we know enough to be convinced that it's dangerous! And we are already in on the deal. Faeries exist. They're ****s. Keeping our head down and going about our day isn't going to work like it would for most, and forewarned is forearmed, right? So help us out? Please."

Yeah, last one wasn't a roll, but the existence of the socialize skill makes me think "is making a good impression a roll?"

Anyway. Persuasion? Manipulate? Penalties?

Anarion
2012-09-04, 02:32 AM
[Socialize is about customs mostly. If you wanted to know what the exact right action to take at a political gathering, or a ball, or a faerie conclave was, you would roll socialize.

Anyway, this is a persuasion+presence roll, and at a -2 penalty because Chryssie is being kind of vague and confrontational.]

SiuiS
2012-09-04, 04:11 AM
ooh, chance die then. Aaaand 7. Dang, kinda hoping fr a dramatic failure there.
I am going to have to reread the description of manipulate, or I'll spend my time fumbling for ways to be manipulative without being obvious about it. I figured trying to talk her around into admitting that her presumed goal (our safety) would best be managed by helping us rathe than chastising would be manipulation. But now that you've said it I can totally see presence being the fit for that.

I'm running into this problem across the board with social characters. I think it is because I am being too specific. Thoughts?

Chryssie bats her eyelashes a couple times out of habit, turning her face up tote ghost in silent appeal.

Anarion
2012-09-04, 03:46 PM
The ghost just laughs in Chryssie's face. "Honey, I think you missed the 'real smart autumn' part. Now, I've got the same advice to you I gave at the start, get out of here right quick. Otherwise, do what you want." The ghost turns around, waving her hand dismissively as she begins to float away.

SiuiS
2012-09-05, 09:55 AM
Chryssie sighs, her shoulders slumping as her head bows.

"Look. please. Just look." Black talons flare in Armstrong's direction, an alien touch to a very human gesture. "Look at him. He's not going to give up. He's... The only reason he hasn't jumped into the hedge on his lonesome is he thinks I can help him. I don't want him to go, but I don't want him to go alone." her tone is slow and somber, almost pitiful. "We look after our own, right? Help us. Help me, even this little bit. You care enough to warn us... I assume it's care. All we ask is a little information. Don't make me beg? Please?"

The question rises to a sharp, plaintive note before cutting off into the gulf of silence between the ephemeral steps of the ghost and the slight rise and fall of her breath.

aaaahhh, sudden second thoughts. Stupid brain.
Trying emotional appeal, using manipulation. The spirit seems to feel a new to at least extend the courtesy of a warning, Chryssie is trying to ply her way user the mama-bird's wing, as it were. Build up that sense of obligation.

I think I rely on description to convey this stuff too much. I'll have to take a page from thanqol's book and keep spoilered stuff more concise and self-sufficient.

Anarion
2012-09-05, 01:57 PM
[Alright, that was pretty good. You can take the manipulation+persuasion roll. It's at -3 though because you already tried and failed and the ghost is dismissing you at this point.]

SiuiS
2012-09-05, 08:42 PM
manipulation 5 + persuasion 1 - being a Bufoon 3 = three dice.
4, 3, 8
Close one.

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee468/WizardPony/examples/617BA992-F027-46E9-8C3B-C8F016029DCE-2850-000002B42B471E55.jpg

I guess that's actually 3, 4, 8 based on perspective. Hmm.

Anarion
2012-09-05, 08:46 PM
The ghost turns around and says "Oh, for the love of all that's holy, quit your whimperin girl. It's pathetic. Now look, the trod's over there, entrance is northeast of the circle itself. See how the hill comes down over there? It's a bit hollow, there's a small cave, that's where They come out of. And now that I know you're too lazy to figure that out for yourself, I'll be on my way."

The ghost floats away, quickly this time.

Brazen Shield
2012-09-06, 12:42 AM
There was a humm as the air conditioner sprang back to life. John looked from grumbled bag on the floor to child and back again.

He jotting down "Spoiled?" on his notepad.

"And where do you live?" he asks the kid.

SiuiS
2012-09-07, 04:48 AM
Chryssie watches the ghost go, with a small, ruthlessly suppressed pang of guilt. She hasn't even bothered with formal introductions. Or informal, for that matter. Rather than admit this however, it was tossed to the whirling gears of rationalization, like branches in a wood chipper. Half-resolute promises to herself to rectify this grins down the insecurity and spit it out as emotional sawdust.

Still, there was one thing that continued to bother her, skewing her composure.
"I think we should wait for the sheriff, Doc. Something here ain't right. And we aren't fighters, if there's more of those, we would be sitting ducks."

Anarion
2012-09-07, 11:17 AM
There was a humm as the air conditioner sprang back to life. John looked from grumbled bag on the floor to child and back again.

He jotting down "Spoiled?" on his notepad.

"And where do you live?" he asks the kid.

The kid seems to think for a moment. "I'm from Leafed Pentworth, it's a tiny little place in North Texas. Doubt you've heard of it."

Chryssie watches the ghost go, with a small, ruthlessly suppressed pang of guilt. She hasn't even bothered with formal introductions. Or informal, for that matter. Rather than admit this however, it was tossed to the whirling gears of rationalization, like branches in a wood chipper. Half-resolute promises to herself to rectify this grins down the insecurity and spit it out as emotional sawdust.

Still, there was one thing that continued to bother her, skewing her composure.
"I think we should wait for the sheriff, Doc. Something here ain't right. And we aren't fighters, if there's more of those, we would be sitting ducks."

Nothing of further note happens after the ghost floats away.

Forum Explorer
2012-09-07, 01:09 PM
"Good work." Dr. Armstrong says, with a smile. He listens at what Chryssie says and reluctantly nods. "Well lets find that cave at leave before we head back." He adds.

Anarion
2012-09-07, 01:14 PM
[Finding the cave would be a survival+wits roll, similar to tracking. You've been told almost exactly where it is, so you get a +3 bonus on the roll.]

Forum Explorer
2012-09-07, 03:56 PM
cave search
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3] [roll4] [roll5] [roll6]

10 again
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

Anarion
2012-09-07, 10:16 PM
After a few minutes of searching, you find the cave. It's to the northeast of the actual valley. There's two hills that come together and overlap with each other in a sort of fold of land. On the right one (the more eastern of the two) the cave can be found about 2/3 of they way up the slope, which is about 40 feet up from the base of the oak tree where you started, and about 100 yards over.

The cave itself isn't huge, maybe 7 feet high at the opening, just enough for a normal person to stand upright comfortably. The opening is angled upwards about 15 degrees (like a somewhat steep hill going down into the mountain) and it was partially obscured by underbrush and tall grasses that might have made it hard to find if you didn't know where to look.

There's nothing inherently magical about it that you can put your finger on, but the opening feels somehow...light (as in, the opposite of heavy)...is the best word to describe it.

Forum Explorer
2012-09-08, 10:05 PM
Having found the cave Dr. Armstrong takes a quick look around before heading back. On the way back he marks a trail so that he could easily fin a way back to the same location.

"Alright I'm ready to go back. Do you want a ride?" He says to Chryssie as he gets into his jeep.

Anarion
2012-09-08, 10:10 PM
[Can you clarify what you mean by a quick look around?]

Forum Explorer
2012-09-08, 10:36 PM
[Can you clarify what you mean by a quick look around?]

He walks around the cave and pokes his head in for a quick peek but doesn't actually enter it.

Anarion
2012-09-08, 10:58 PM
The second that Doctor Armstrong crosses the threshold in the cave, the world warps. From outside, the cave looks like it goes back perhaps 10-15 feet and simply ends. But once he has stepped inside, the walls fall back and recede. In their place is a vast cavern of stone, many stories in height, like a grand granite cathedral stretching in all directions. All around the area, great gnarled roots stretch and grow down the walls, and in the distance massive black mushrooms, the size of huge trees, can be seen reaching towards the ceiling. The area where the doctor entered is nearly free of thorns. A vast road, nearly 50 feet wide, runs deep into the granite tunnel, curving off to the right after a few hundred feet.

Swiftly turning, Doctor Armstrong can see the mortal world as a small glimpse of light, even though it's still night out. It is as though the starlight has been amplified a thousand times, a small beacon marking the exit.

Some part of Doctor Armstrong's mind immediately realizes that losing sight of that beacon, even for an instant, would be extremely dangerous.

Forum Explorer
2012-09-08, 11:08 PM
While interesting, Dr. Armstrong has no time to explore this strange phenomenon. He heads back to the entrance and assuming nothing stops him goes back to his jeep.

Anarion
2012-09-08, 11:12 PM
[We'll wait and see if Chryssie went in with you. If this is truly an enter and exit thing, you can get out quickly. Though there are some nice things in the Hedge, such as goblin fruits, for the curious.]

SiuiS
2012-09-08, 11:23 PM
"Sure," Chryssie half-mumbles in response to the question, oblivious to the doctor's experiences. "Hey, can you drop me off at the station? John's probably still trying to figure out where our little lamb came from, trying ta get ha computer to work proper."

Forum Explorer
2012-09-08, 11:27 PM
"Sure. I need to speak to John anyways." Doctor Armstrong drives off taking care to slow down and be more careful now that the sun has gone down.

Anarion
2012-09-08, 11:28 PM
You both drive back with no further incident.

[I've got no other plans for the night. Last chance for anyone other than John's conversation to do anything, otherwise we'll finish up the chat and advance time.]

Brazen Shield
2012-09-08, 11:59 PM
Texas?
What the...
"You... Are in Oaklahoma kid," John said with a slight raise to his voice. He had a lot of questions to ask this boy. "How'd you get this far. Are you alone? How'd you end up in the field with George?"

His mind was suddenly running a million miles a mintue. John was sure the kid couldn't keep up, so he started writing down questions to ask later. He had to look up the police station in the town, call them and let them know he had a minor here. He wonder if Billy's parents were worried. Maybe he could get a..

"You have a phone number I can call, Billy?" John asked hopefully." For your parents or guardian? I'm sure they're worried and you're a long way from home."