PDA

View Full Version : Abjurant Champion and Jade Phoenix Mage

GrumblyBear
2012-08-05, 03:05 PM
Hey all, I just had a quick question...
Does the Abjurant Champ's Arcane Boost stack with JPM's Arcane Wrath?

Arcane Boost: Swift action, burn a stored spell/spell slot to gain a bonus to one of the following for one round... Attack rolls equal to spell level, damage rolls equal to double the spell level, bonus to AC equal to spell level, etc.

Arcane Wrath: Swift action, burn a stored spell/spell slot to gain a +4 bonus to a single attack roll and extra 1d10 dmg per spell level expended.

It seems to me that they should stack. But I could see an argument that since they're both swift actions, no dice.

Just curious what the good folks at GitP have to say.

Kaje
2012-08-05, 03:06 PM
They do not stack.

GrumblyBear
2012-08-05, 03:07 PM
That simple, eh?

Amidus Drexel
2012-08-05, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I'd go with the "they're both swift actions" and therefore don't stack, unless you find a way to get an extra swift action in a round.

@v & @vv Yeah, that's what I meant. Mine's a bit poorly worded.

Khatoblepas
2012-08-05, 03:16 PM
They do stack (being untyped bonuses from different sources), but they aren't the same ability, so you need two swift actions to activate both in the same round. The only way to get more swift actions is Ruby Knight Vindicator, so theoretically you could activate them both in one round.

You can't, however, sacrifice one swift action and one spell slot and gain the benefit of both.

Douglas
2012-08-05, 03:22 PM
They do stack (being untyped bonuses from different sources), but they aren't the same ability, so you need two swift actions to activate both in the same round. The only way to get more swift actions is Ruby Knight Vindicator, so theoretically you could activate them both in one round.

You can't, however, sacrifice one swift action and one spell slot and gain the benefit of both.
This is correct, with the minor exception that there are a (very) small number of other ways to gain multiple swift actions in the same round.

If you are able to use two swift actions in one round, you could spend both of them along with two spell slots to activate both abilities, and after doing so you would receive the stacked benefits of both of them. Good luck getting two swift actions in one round with enough room in your character build left for the class levels needed to acquire both abilities.

killianh
2012-08-05, 05:32 PM
This is correct, with the minor exception that there are a (very) small number of other ways to gain multiple swift actions in the same round.

If you are able to use two swift actions in one round, you could spend both of them along with two spell slots to activate both abilities, and after doing so you would receive the stacked benefits of both of them. Good luck getting two swift actions in one round with enough room in your character build left for the class levels needed to acquire both abilities.

Can you not use the extra standard action granted by haste to use another swift action instead? In which case he would just a need a good buffer in the party to keep that going in each combat

Douglas
2012-08-05, 05:35 PM
Can you not use the extra standard action granted by haste to use another swift action instead? In which case he would just a need a good buffer in the party to keep that going in each combat
A) Haste does not grant an extra action in 3.5. It only does that in 3.0.
B) Standard actions cannot be "traded down" into swift actions. Neither can move actions, or any other kind of action. Swift actions exist sort of on their own in this perfectly isolated classification that only immediate actions can sometimes intrude upon.

Kazyan
2012-08-05, 05:36 PM

Haste doesn't get you an extra standard action unless you're a Swiftblade 9 or 10, which makes this a non-question until epic levels. Also, nothing says you can convert a standard to a swift, reasonable though it may be.

EDIT: Swiftbladed.

Cor1
2012-08-05, 06:12 PM
If your DM lets you use a standard action to do something that requires a swift action (it's not RAW, but most usually accept when asked, poor souls), you can get a Psion who can manifest Affinity Field and Synchronicity, so you have as many readied standard actions as he cares to spend power points.