PDA

View Full Version : DFA Prestige classes

Invader
2012-08-05, 06:32 PM
Are there any really optimized prestige classes that work well with the Dragonfire Adept?

Currently level 3 and I took Dragonwrought, Maximize breath, entangling exhalation, and heighten breath as my feats but I'm fairly sure I can retrain them if I ask my DM.

Any suggestions on more than average powerful builds?

Edit*
Stats:
Str 6
Dex 10
Con 20
Int 19
Wis 9
Cha 15

Godskook
2012-08-05, 10:47 PM
DFA is mostly best as a DFA. The biggest exception is if you go into Heir of Syberis(sp?). That plus a feat grants you an additional 2d6 breath weapon damage, which gets multiplied by Five-fold.

Draz74
2012-08-05, 10:49 PM
Nothing progresses breath effects, so the most you would ever want is 5 levels of PrCs. And they would have to fully progress casting, and be enterable without "casting spells of X level." Most such PrCs (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2915.msg90136#msg90136) are pretty awful, but then, so are the last 5 levels of DFA. So ... there's not anything great, but it's doable.

The one exception is a 1-level dip in Mindbender. That can be very powerful; it's easy for a DFA to enter; and optimized DFAs are Evil anyway.

eggs
2012-08-05, 11:02 PM
I'm AFB, and I don't know how the DFA breath weapon/rider-effect mechanic works off my head, but Sentinal of Bharri is pretty excellent for Warlocks. If the DFA and Warlock share an advancement mechanism, SoB could be one of the slicker deals (though it may be an exercise in fluff-juggling to get all the Bear, Celestial and Dragon fluff into the same build).

Snowbluff
2012-08-05, 11:18 PM
If you know what you are doing, and IIRC, Eldritch Theurge (Enter wit h1 Warlock level by using an item for higher EB, grab Precocious Apprentice for the casting requirement) can give you more Invocations. Like, 2 sets of invocations for twice the variety. Sure the lists are redundant at times, and DFA has some nice things that Warlock does not, but that works both way as well.

EDIT: Dammit, the arcane side of ET specifically forbids invocation progression. Oh well, talk to your DM, I guess.

Fearan
2012-08-06, 12:54 AM
Well, Legacy Champion has a 9/10 progress of all your class features, but that's higly situational choice

roguemetal
2012-08-06, 01:14 AM
DFA is best when left alone. Just take whatever feats you deign ideal for your specific build, and run with it. If you feel like you must have a PrC, I don't have any favorable suggestions over just leveling in DFA, but here are some that 'might' work depending on your build.

Talon of Tiamat
Evangelist
Warshaper
Mindbender
Exemplar
Dragon Devotee

Again, I stress that the best DFAs are those that don't multiclass at all.

Godskook
2012-08-06, 01:16 AM
Again, I stress that the best DFAs are those that don't multiclass at all.

Heir of Syberis is at least competitive with a straight DFA.

A_S
2012-08-06, 12:01 PM
If you assume that the Energy Immunity invocation counts as being able to cast Energy Immunity (the spell) for prereq purposes (since it has the same name and does the same thing, even though it doesn't explicitly call out the spell in its description), and take the Soul of the North feat, you can qualify for Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil and take 4 levels of it (enough to get immediate action veils at level 20). Maybe competitive? Have to waste a couple invocations on crappy dispels, though.

Psyren
2012-08-06, 12:39 PM
They can get into Escalation Mage (FoE - though the metamagic feat won't be useful unless a Meta-SLA can be used in its place) and add a few tricks to their invocations, e.g. Quicken, Heighten or Widen.

Igneel
2012-08-06, 01:53 PM
DFA is mostly best as a DFA. The biggest exception is if you go into Heir of Syberis(sp?). That plus a feat grants you an additional 2d6 breath weapon damage, which gets multiplied by Five-fold.

^This, but if memory serves I think in a Eberron campaign it might be limited somewhat by your race.

If memory serves, there was another PrC meant for halflings that allows you to use your spells/slas as maximized inflict spells that don't heal undead, so that might be an option if you find yourself running into things largely resistant/immune to your spells.

Invader
2012-08-06, 09:16 PM
Heir of Siberys might be viable if my DM allows me to change it a little bit to be more viable but everyone's pretty much right, I'm not seeing to much that meshes well with DFA.

Thurbane
2012-08-06, 10:06 PM
Well, Legacy Champion has a 9/10 progress of all your class features, but that's higly situational choice
Actually, Legacy Champion progresses your class features 8/10, not 9/10. Legacy Champion usually works best for a class that has poor skill points, and lacks UMD as a class skill. Since it has the same skills/level as a DFA, and DFA already has UMD as a class skill, unless you are founding a Legacy Item, it probably won't be a great choice.

There's Uncanny Trickster which progresses class features 2/3, and has 8 skill points/level, and will improve your Reflex save. You just have to find some skill tricks that are worthwhile for your character.