PDA

View Full Version : What is the definition of a magical material?

Tvtyrant
2012-08-05, 07:40 PM
What it asks on the tin.

For more information, Animated Objects cannot be made of magical materials, but IDK what that means exactly.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-05, 08:16 PM
I suspect it's supposed to mean that you can't animate the objects created through minor/major creation, and maybe you can't animate an object made from a special material, such as adamantine, cold-iron, or alchemical silver.

Tvtyrant
2012-08-05, 09:06 PM
I suspect it's supposed to mean that you can't animate the objects created through minor/major creation, and maybe you can't animate an object made from a special material, such as adamantine, cold-iron, or alchemical silver.

No special materials or from a magical source? Sounds pretty reasonable.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-05, 09:10 PM
The only other interpretation I could think of is nothing that radiates a magical aura, but that'd be an awfully nasty nerf for animate objects.

HunterOfJello
2012-08-05, 09:36 PM
I've always seen it as a material/object that has magic in it, and therefore a magical aura. Anything you can successfully cast Disjunction on without changing should be animatable. (Is that a word?)

For that matter, anything you successfully cast Disjunction on at all should be a valid candidate for the spell.

Bronk
2012-08-06, 01:20 PM
I think it means that they just don't want people animating a golem made from strapped together magic swords or the like.

Tvtyrant
2012-08-06, 03:25 PM
I think it means that they just don't want people animating a golem made from strapped together magic swords or the like.

But that is what I want :smallannoyed: What is wrong with a magic sword golem I ask you? :smalltongue:

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-06, 04:03 PM
But that is what I want :smallannoyed: What is wrong with a magic sword golem I ask you? :smalltongue:

It's impractically expensive, and will be "killed" by a targeted dispel magic?

Tvtyrant
2012-08-06, 04:24 PM
It's impractically expensive, and will be "killed" by a targeted dispel magic?

I don't really want a magic sword golem. That would be silly. What I really want is a storage device with a bunch of animated throwing knives so I can throw them at enemies and then have them make AoOs on the enemies moves.

HunterOfJello
2012-08-06, 04:56 PM
I don't really want a magic sword golem. That would be silly. What I really want is a storage device with a bunch of animated throwing knives so I can throw them at enemies and then have them make AoOs on the enemies moves.

Then get a Packmate homonculus from magic of eberron and have that walk around with some nonmagical swords that you've animated.

That_guy_there
2012-08-06, 06:17 PM

Sounds like you really want Low Ego intelligent Dancing daggers... :smallwink:

supermonkeyjoe
2012-08-07, 09:40 AM
Isn't it just a material that would radiate a magical aura? so any magic item/armour/weapon, anything created with a spell that doesn't have aduration of Instantaneous, things like that?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-07, 06:18 PM
Isn't it just a material that would radiate a magical aura? so any magic item/armour/weapon, anything created with a spell that doesn't have aduration of Instantaneous, things like that?

That would be the strict interpretation. Going with this severely limits the use of animate objects. The object is already losing HP's in many cases, demanding it also be completely unnaffected by any magic at the time of AO's casting is excessive in my opinion.