PDA

View Full Version : Nonstandard saving throw progression

Sheogoroth
2012-08-05, 08:33 PM
Are there any classes that have nonstandard saving throw progressions?
I seem to remember one that starts with +3 will and ends with +14 at lvl 20, but I can't find it.

GenghisDon
2012-08-05, 08:48 PM
They can be found in other d20 products, like d20 Modern or the like.

I'm fond of what I call "average" save progression. It's +1/2 level; 2 less than good. I've given it to several core characters as a HR. Why WOTC had good, average, poor BAB but not saving throws is beyond me. It's especially puzzling when one considers that special attacks have that exact progression: 10 +1/2 HD + relative attribute.

Poor save progression makes saves nigh impossible at VHL...see epic level play

HunterOfJello
2012-08-05, 09:37 PM
3e had weird progressions, but 3.5 is all pretty standard. The exception would be the commonly used suggestions form Unearthed Arcana.

eggs
2012-08-05, 10:09 PM
Those are usually the easy flag for homebrewers that don't even recognize system conventions.

In first-party materials, the closest I can think of are Mythic Exemplar, Squire of Legend and Chameleon. All are prestige classes with all slow save progressions, but class features to boost variable saves up according to the specific track of choices selected by a character. Or Swashbuckler with its weird "Bad Reflex save, but untyped scaling bonus as a class feature"

GenghisDon
2012-08-05, 10:15 PM
yes, the swashbuckler example is one I find sad/pathetic.

In my games the swashbuckler has "average" fort, "good" reflex & "poor" will save progressions.

homebrewer I may be labeled, but:smallwink: