PDA

View Full Version : Looking for political/low fantasy adventures for "A Game of Thrones" roleplaying

EccentricOwl
2012-08-05, 09:11 PM
I'm running "A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying." System's not bad, it's pretty cool, but one of the players REFUSES to get too far from the canon, so playing through, say, the War of the Five Kings is just right-out. For now. I might just say 'screw it' and... anyway.

What I'm looking for is tips, plots, or best of all, *published adventures* that I might be able to use. Anything is fine, as long as it's either A. Low-fantasy or B. Diplomatic or political in nature.

Any ideas?

CET
2012-08-06, 08:24 AM
Option 1:
My inclination with these things is to set them somewhere largely untouched by the source material - say a political intrigue/'thieves guild' game set in Pentos before book 1, or a game set in Westeros during the reign of the mad king's father.

Option 2:
Reskin the Song of Ice and Fire game - same ruleset, same adventures, just plug in different names and change some of the more recognizable NPCs. Your running the game in a 'Westeros-like' world.

If that doesn't work, I'd say use the rule set and run it in a homebrew setting, or a low-magic setting from some other game (Hyboria? Ancient Rome?).

Siegel
2012-08-06, 09:08 AM
use Reign or Burning Wheel, they will give you what you want. The official SoIaF Game is really not that good at emulating the fiction of the book. Reign and BW ARE!

kyoryu
2012-08-08, 05:11 PM
use Reign or Burning Wheel, they will give you what you want. The official SoIaF Game is really not that good at emulating the fiction of the book. Reign and BW ARE!

Yeah, BW pretty much translates directly to aSoIaF. The focus of the game (Beliefs, etc.) also does a good job of pushing the game in that direction as well. The fact that it has a social combat mechanic is also great for games that you want to be highly political.

aldeayeah
2012-08-08, 05:39 PM
Play through one of the Blackfyre Rebellions that haven't been novelised yet.

Kitten Champion
2012-08-08, 07:28 PM
Martin's main inspiration was English history.

Just skim through the history of Western conflict (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_conflicts_in_Europe) and lift at your leisure.

EccentricOwl
2012-08-13, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys.