PDA

View Full Version : Level 1 Artificer help

Silman
2012-08-06, 12:21 AM
Hey guys,

I am about to start a campaign as a level 1 artificer. My DM wants to stay close to core but he allowed me to use the eberron campaign setting book so I can play as an artificer (something i have really been wanting to try). I hear artificers are pretty OP but i am level 1 so i think it won't be that bad.

What are your tips for a level 1 artificer as far as weapons, feats, skills, etc goes?

Some info: There is no feat retraining so i would like to stick to feats that would be useful at higher levels. If you suggest something please try to pick it from core or the eberron campaign setting book, i don't want to have to convince my DM to allow more books because he wants to use books he knows in and out as he likes to read the entire book before starting so he is comfortable with everything in it to avoid any power abuse (which i don't intend to do).

I am just looking for a simple, fun, first artificer build.

Zonugal
2012-08-06, 12:32 AM
This is a bit vague but what type of Artificer (and character) are you looking to play. Just like there are different types of Wizards there are different approaches & styles of Artificers?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-06, 12:33 AM
Artificers' main power boost comes from getting better than double WBL gear since he crafts everything he needs for himself. That and he can produce any spell effect he pleases as long as he knows he's going to need it and crafts a scroll.

It's probably the easiest of the T1's to reign in.

As for advice. Hmm...... since your class features will give you all the power you need, you could probably get away with taking whatever flavorful choices you liked. Maybe be a human with the mark of making and a member of house cannith, unless of course your DM is using a homebrew setting.

Silman
2012-08-06, 01:18 AM
This is a bit vague but what type of Artificer (and character) are you looking to play. Just like there are different types of Wizards there are different approaches & styles of Artificers?

Yeah, i have never played an artificer but i can tell you about the other magical classes i enjoyed playing.

I loved playing psion because controlling my enemies from a distance was ridiculously fun. I also love sorcerers for the flavor and i like playing a sorcerer that is a toolbox, lots of different spells that come in handy in all different purposes. Never sticking to just the same nuke spell all the time, i enjoy working in the moment with what i have for creative outcomes.

Artificers' main power boost comes from getting better than double WBL gear since he crafts everything he needs for himself. That and he can produce any spell effect he pleases as long as he knows he's going to need it and crafts a scroll.

It's probably the easiest of the T1's to reign in.

As for advice. Hmm...... since your class features will give you all the power you need, you could probably get away with taking whatever flavorful choices you liked. Maybe be a human with the mark of making and a member of house cannith, unless of course your DM is using a homebrew setting.

I plan to just play as a human artificer, the flavor will come in later. I am just trying to ease into the class.

Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming!

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-06, 01:30 AM
In that case, you should play an artificer much like you would play a sorcerer. The only real difference is that you're casting from items instead of from your spells known.

What you need to discover now is which type of item do you prefer? Expendables, multi-charge expendables, or items that produce effects X times per day. You can of course mix and match, and probably should.

You might also look into the different types of constructs available for crafting, though you'll have to pick up craft construct around level 6 or so. A handful of homonculi can be very interesting from both a mechanical and an RP perspective.

Silman
2012-08-06, 01:35 AM
In that case, you should play an artificer much like you would play a sorcerer. The only real difference is that you're casting from items instead of from your spells known.

What you need to discover now is which type of item do you prefer? Expendables, multi-charge expendables, or items that produce effects X times per day. You can of course mix and match, and probably should.

You might also look into the different types of constructs available for crafting, though you'll have to pick up craft construct around level 6 or so. A handful of homonculi can be very interesting from both a mechanical and an RP perspective.

Thank you for the reply!

I would preferably do a combination of all three items, maybe with an emphasis on items that produce effects X times per day (not sure yet but that attracts me for some reason). I do intend to build constructs and homonculi.

What feats are good for a level 1 artificer? And what should i do for weaponry, i was thinking crossbow but i don't want to have to spend a feat on an item that i won't ever use past a certain level.

JetThomasBoat
2012-08-06, 01:56 AM
Thank you for the reply!

I would preferably do a combination of all three items, maybe with an emphasis on items that produce effects X times per day (not sure yet but that attracts me for some reason). I do intend to build constructs and homonculi.

What feats are good for a level 1 artificer? And what should i do for weaponry, i was thinking crossbow but i don't want to have to spend a feat on an item that i won't ever use past a certain level.

One of the artificer feats you can get from the Eberron Campaign setting reduces the XP cost for crafting magic items. Another reduces time spent crafting, and a third reduces gold cost. These are all good choices, but they may have a prerequisite, I don't remember. Or, since you're already using the Eberron Campaign setting, you could take Least Dragonmark and have an extra little thing you can do, if the DM is willing to allow letting you have one. They're kind of neat flavor-wise and some can be pretty useful.

As for a weapon, as an artificer, you're proficient with all simple weapons, so that's light and heavy crossbows, or slings (and you'll be able to craft scrolls of magic stone so you'll have a small number of magical +1 ammunition for the cost of a scroll) and some good simple weapons are the morningstar and the spear. You can use a shield with the morningstar and if you make the right items, you can buff yourself going into battles and be a back up melee combatant when needed. On the other hand, making a lot of scrolls of shield and wielding the spear in two hands. And at low levels, don't discount your infusions. I haven't looked over the list in a while, though, so I may be completely off there.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-06, 01:59 AM
You don't have to spend a feat to gain proficiency with a crossbow, artificers are proficient with all simple weapons.

Unless you plan on picking up a PrC later, in which case you should go ahead and knock out a prereq' feat, there's only a handful of mechanically solid options at level 1.

Improved Initiative is never a bad pick, and the artisan feats in ECS make the things you make cost less.

For more flavorful choices there's educated or research, but they're not gonna get you much mileage if the DM doesn't cooperate.

Personally, I'd give skill focus for a knowledge skill some thought, since your DM may let you enter Lore Master. I don't think they can qualify by RAW, but the written rules on the matter aren't in ECS, so it's up to your DM to decide. I'd let it slide.

Edit: damn ninjas.

avr
2012-08-06, 04:47 AM
Weapon Augmentation, Personal (yourcurrentenemybane) is great - miles better than magic stone - if you can get it off. The casting time is a problem, obviously. I can't remember if action points can be used to speed the casting time out of the box or if you need a feat to do so.

If you're going to aim to make a magically assisted archer the typical archery feats will be useful. Otherwise listen to Kelb.

MatrixQ
2012-08-06, 04:56 AM
I just started playing my artificer, too.
One thing that I have found to be more helpful than anything else is "spell storing item". At level 1 especially, it has the exact same XP cost as a scroll, but not the gold cost. And it only takes a minute to create, instead of a day. Since you probably don't use your craft points for any real crafting at that level anyway, they would be wasted if you don't use them this way.

You could for example put "cure light wounds" on some bandages, before you use them on your fellows. Knock on your gloves will open a lot of doors. Featherfall on your shoes, if you need to get down from somewhere. You get the idea. Your imagination is the limit, and every spelllist in the book is your playground. I found this to be more helpful than the weapon enhancement spell.

Mnemnosyne
2012-08-06, 05:10 AM
An Artificer Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2829) should help you. You'll also want to consult the Complete Cost Reduction Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1000).

Beyond that. Rapid Infusion is a vital feat if your DM isn't giving you Action Points, cause Artificers' infusions are somewhat balanced on spending AP in order to hurry them. Even if you are getting AP, it's still useful since 1/day you don't have to burn an AP to hasten an infusion.

Make sure you take Extraordinary Artisan and Legendary Artisan, to cut those GP and XP costs down and further increase how far your money and craft reserve will take you. Apprentice: Craftsman, Favored In Guild: Arcane from the DMG II, and Magical Artisan from Player's Guide to Faerun are also valuable ways to lower your item creation costs, as noted in the cost reduction handbook.

Beyond those suggestions, metamagic feats can eventually be pretty useful with various abilities to apply metamagic to spells you cast from wands and scrolls.

panaikhan
2012-08-06, 07:41 AM
Some people plan to use the 'XP catch-up' mechanic, staying 1 level below the rest of the party and churning out expendible magical items by the truckload.
When you get the ability to suck magical items dry to make others, you will be laughing.
There is a potion variant that can make pretty useful bombs, which I have used myself.
Renegade Mastermaker can be an interesting PrC, if you feel that way inclined.

Aharon
2012-08-06, 08:16 AM
I just started playing my artificer, too.
One thing that I have found to be more helpful than anything else is "spell storing item". At level 1 especially, it has the exact same XP cost as a scroll, but not the gold cost. And it only takes a minute to create, instead of a day. Since you probably don't use your craft points for any real crafting at that level anyway, they would be wasted if you don't use them this way.

You could for example put "cure light wounds" on some bandages, before you use them on your fellows. Knock on your gloves will open a lot of doors. Featherfall on your shoes, if you need to get down from somewhere. You get the idea. Your imagination is the limit, and every spelllist in the book is your playground. I found this to be more helpful than the weapon enhancement spell.

While I agree that Spell Storing Item is one of the best infusions, I don't see an Artificer with standard WBL, stats and no flaws making the UMD check reliably at level one.

hoverfrog
2012-08-06, 08:37 AM
At low level your job is to boost everyone else's power and act as support. Higher up as you start to make your own wands you can act as the party blaster.

A feat worth getting early on is Attune Magic Weapon which makes your personal weapon of choice +1 to hit and damage. Later on you get to apply this even to magic weapons so you'll permanently be using a weapon that is +1 better than anyone else's. That and a Least Mark of Making (only available to humans anyway) should be an artificer's first choices.

Also make sure that your highest skill is Intelligence and your second highest is Charisma. Those skill points are essential to your character who should take several Craft Skills in addition to maxing UMD.

MatrixQ
2012-08-06, 09:08 AM
While I agree that Spell Storing Item is one of the best infusions, I don't see an Artificer with standard WBL, stats and no flaws making the UMD check reliably at level one.

True, but it is at least a possibility to do something. With 4 ranks in UMD and 4 from CHA, you have at least a 25% chance for level 1 spells to work. Not good, but nothing to sneeze at either. You can use the skill enhancement infusion beforehand and increase your chances to 35% at level 1. It's a last resort thing, but incredibly useful, if you just don't have the right scrolls prepared and nothing else you can do.
If all else fails, you'll have to take the time and make a scroll, but even then, the UMD check is only 2 lower than for a spell storage item.

Silman
2012-08-06, 12:24 PM
Wow fall asleep and wake up to a boat load of amazing suggestions and replies! Thanks guys!

I really liked the idea of putting spell effects on weapons in-the-moment, thats exactly how i want to play!

what is UMD and WBL? I read those in some replies and have no idea what it means

BTW the stats i rolled (from highest to lowest, after dropping the lowest one): 18, 18, 17, 12, 11, 11

So it looks like i got extremes of awesome and suck, haha. I am assuming i will put it into my stats this way but please correct me if you think there is a better way:

STR 11
DEX 17
CON 11
INT 18
WIS 12
CHA 18

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-06, 12:40 PM
UMD = Use Magic Device = the skill that makes an artificer function

WBL= Wealth By Level = The amount of gear/ treasure a character is expected to have at a given level, as described on the table in the DMG = The easiest way to reign in an overpowered artificer.

juicycaboose
2012-08-06, 01:22 PM
So it looks like i got extremes of awesome and suck, haha. I am assuming i will put it into my stats this way but please correct me if you think there is a better way:

STR 11
DEX 17
CON 11
INT 18
WIS 12
CHA 18

seeing as pretty much the only thing you want the charisma for is UMD checks i'd probably go

STR 11
DEX 17
CON 18
INT 18
WIS 11
CHA 12

maybe swap dex/con around as well depending on preference

actually thinking on it again a high cha for the umd checks might be really important, i've never actually played an artificer, just read about them

i just really dislike having a low con :p

MatrixQ
2012-08-06, 01:38 PM
seeing as pretty much the only thing you want the charisma for is UMD checks i'd probably go

STR 11
DEX 17
CON 18
INT 18
WIS 11
CHA 12

maybe swap dex/con around as well depending on preference

actually thinking on it again a high cha for the umd checks might be really important, i've never actually played an artificer, just read about them

i just really dislike having a low con :p

I think that's valid, though using UMD at low levels will be pretty tough. You need to build a + skill item for UMD checks as quick as possible. Luckily, they are not that expensive (bonusē x 100 gold market price), and you should be able to upgrade it every other level. Good thing is, those don't really require too much prerequisites, I think. At least non that you'd have to UMD yourself.
Picking your attributes this way will however go a long way towards survivability in the long run. On the other hand, if you plan on doing a lot of social action or want to be the face of the group, don't drop cha too low.

panaikhan
2012-08-07, 07:48 AM
Cha is the 'key' stat for Artificers. It determines how difficult save DC's are, how many extra infusions they get, and their UMD (which Artificers have to roll for using items, whether they made them or not), so I would stick with keeping it high.

Mnemnosyne
2012-08-07, 08:00 AM
Con, I think, is more valuable than Dex, as I would say the hit points and fort saves are probably much more valuable than the ranged attack bonus, AC bonus, and reflex saves.

Also, infusions are keyed off INT as far as bonus infusions/day goes, so Cha isn't that important, but at low levels it can definitely make a big difference as to what you can activate.

I think my favored stat allocation would be:
Str 11
Dex 12
Con 18
Int 18
Wis 11
Cha 17
Focus boosts from leveling into Int.

Aharon
2012-08-07, 08:14 AM
I largely agree with Mnemnosyne, but would swap Cha and Con:

Str 11
Dex 12
Con 17
Int 18
Wis 11
Cha 18

I would put the point at 4th level in Con and all further points in Int. I think the extra +1 on UMD checks isn't worth it on its own, but I happen to like playing the party face, so that's part of the reason. Cha, Int and Con are most important, one can argue a bit about the order - it depends on your own preferences in no small part.

Roguenewb
2012-08-07, 10:58 AM
My low level artificer feats of choice are cost reducers because otherwise you can't use a single damn thing you didn't build.

For general purpose artificer, with flaws, my human feats would be:

Apprentice: Craftsman
Extraordinary Craftsman (the -25% gold one, whichever that is)
Legendary Craftsman (the -25% XP one)
Two Weapon Fighting

The two weapon fighting is because later I like to go dual wand as a combat style. You make things a 68% of normal gold, and 75% of normal XP. If you then add on the skill/class restriction pair (CHEESE ALERT), it's 42.9% of normal gold (not 42.9% of base cost mind you, but 42.9% of what normal crafters use, so less than half of what an off the shelf item costs in gold to craft).

Even without the restriction cheese, it makes your gold go a lot further, and let's your craft reserve really let everyone have cool stuff all the time. Which is the point.

Suddo
2012-08-07, 01:06 PM
Experience is a River (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872242/Experience_is_a_River) is a cool idea I would suggest looking into, I know if I did an artificer I'd use it.

And take a look at the handbooks and make sure you get the crafting wright or whatever to make all your tools for you.

Also I'd take Skill Focus (Use Magic Device) very early, there are better feats but not inside of core to help the Artificer pass those checks.

Madcrafter
2012-08-07, 03:03 PM
Lo and behold, an artificer thread! Information incoming.

Cost reducers are great, but don't go overboard on them. -25% XP and Gold should be enough for a standard campaign. As an artificer, even with all your bonus feats, you will find yourself feat starved.

As for other choices, it does really depend on the style of artificer you want to play. Definitely read the handbook (linked above).

For abilities, Int is your most important stat, always. This is because it gets you more infusions per day, which is the most important thing to have. Con is good for everyone, and as for the rest, it depends on how you are playing (as above). If you are using a lot of wands and such, or want to face, you are going to want higher Cha; If you want to bash things in melee, you'll want some Str and Dex (though Dex is always nice, but with what you have you'll either have to make it super high or drop it). You don't have to dump anything luckily, but if you did, Str if you are going the first route, and Wis if the second.

From the OP, it sounds unlikely that you will get action points. This is unfortunate, and means you almost definitely want to get the rapid infusion feat. If you can get them, they speed your infusions up to a round casting.

Spell storing item is one of the best infusions in the game. Though as pointed out you'll have some trouble with the UMD check early on, as you get a few levels, it becomes "instant scroll of whatever spell I really need right now." The versatility is amazing, and represents the artificer in a nutshell. Your other good infusion at low levels is as already written above, personal weapon augmentation of bane for your crossbow.

A link to a thread where I went through the and wrote out some about the artificer that I now don't want to keep repeating all the time (and seriously, read the handbook): here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13176046#)
Another thread about E6 artificers (advice for lower levels): here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225369)
Another artificer thread, with links to more threads on BG: here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223144)

I'll stop writing now, if you want more information just ask.

Max Zoren
2012-08-07, 05:13 PM
Stats depend on your prefered fighting style. Common options for an artificers are a 'Blastificer' who mostly uses wands and a 'Meleeficer' who relies on Infusions and items to be deverstating in combat.

If you plan on doing most of your fighting at range I'd go for-
STR 11
DEX 17
CON 11
INT 18
WIS 12
CHA 18
As you need DEX and CHA (to hit rolls and use magic device checks) and if you stay out of melee you can get away with a lower CON.

If you plan on fighting in melee I'd go for-
STR 18
DEX 11
CON 17
INT 18
WIS 11
CHA 12
UMD checks are still important for this build but as you will be doing them mostly out of combat it's less important to pass them first time so you can get away with the lower CHA.

Rapid Infusion is vital if you're not using action points (and still worth it if you are). A good option at low levels is to rapid infuse 'Personal Weapon Augmentation', which gives you a +1 weapon inhancement, go for 'Bane' targeting whatever you are fighting.
At level 1 (if you go with the 'Blastificer' stats) a light crossbow with bane comes out at
+5 to hit doing 2d6+1D8 damage.
Another good pick is 'Greater Healing armor' which gives 3d8+15 healing twice.