PDA

View Full Version : OMD2: The "other" other white meat...

Krazzman
2012-08-06, 01:38 AM
Soo,

I bought it this weekend and I'm wondering why there is no Thread about it.

Is the playground against an Orc-Genocide or why does no one seem to care about this fine 3rd Person Action TD-ish game.

For me the most awesome part while playing solo campaign was getting a total of 14 Skulls from one single map.

Sooo anyone else interested in it and asking himself: Should I get it?

Additionally their soundtrack... it's awesome Background-sound Material (at least for my campaign).

Cogwheel
2012-08-07, 04:24 PM
This game is basically the most fun. You should be playing it now.

A Rainy Knight
2012-08-07, 11:24 PM
Yeah, it's loads o' fun. The only thing I haven't been able to decide is if the War Mage or Sorceress is more effective. I mean, War Mage has the always-amazing tar traps and arrow walls, but the Sorceress' polymorph ring is unbelievably useful in the later Endless waves. In fact, the next thing on my agenda to try out is playing an Endless match using the ring and a ton of mana wells.

Krazzman
2012-08-08, 01:50 AM
Yeah, it's loads o' fun. The only thing I haven't been able to decide is if the War Mage or Sorceress is more effective. I mean, War Mage has the always-amazing tar traps and arrow walls, but the Sorceress' polymorph ring is unbelievably useful in the later Endless waves. In fact, the next thing on my agenda to try out is playing an Endless match using the ring and a ton of mana wells.

I haven't got enough time to slaughter some orcs as I would like to... but for me it's Warmage.
I would say they are pretty good balanced but! it's easier for the sorceress to 5-skull certain maps and on others it's easier as Warmage. The Combo-Generation for Warmage is better too...

I haven't played that much yet but I'm about 110 Skulls in with the warmage and about 20 with the Sorceress and have to say the Warmage is more forgiving as soon as you got the crossbow. The sorceress might have the better starting weapon but the mechanic behind it is a bit awkward for me.

So far I have played till Passages on Warmage difficult and so far have only one level with 4 Skulls instead of 5 skulls and Passages + the following on apprentice difficult and the servant entrance.

My main problem is probably that my choke-point is not as effective as I would like it to be... I'm going to be happy as soon as I can afford Brimstone and lightning ring together with some other fully advanced traps.

Toastkart
2012-08-08, 02:58 PM
Yeah, it's loads o' fun. The only thing I haven't been able to decide is if the War Mage or Sorceress is more effective

I prefer the sorceress. Yeah, I think tar traps are a touch better than the ice vents, but I like her acid sprayers even better than the arrow walls, and I like the arrow walls.

Also, her scepter of domination is the only weapon I need for her. Sure, each shot isn't powerful, but rate of fire combined with its ability to charge up make it effective at a number of tasks. Charm is also useful if you can hit the right kinds of enemies.

Maybe it's just me, but I have problems with the warmage's crossbow. The stun is nice, but if I fire more than 3-4 shots quickly, I can't hit anything. I've also had shots, including the stun shot, pass through orcs when they're at close range. Getting headshots on ogres and the like is great, but there are just too many of the average orcs to try and headshot them all.

I didn't really like the blunderbuss, either. Too slow a rate of fire, too close range. And the stupid animation after almost every shot. The grenades are nice, but occasionally hard to aim.

Also, does anyone know how/when you unlock the alternate costumes? I know each has a costume that's unlocked for 50 skulls, but the other two have shields under them which indicates they're unlocked automatically after doing something?

JMobius
2012-08-08, 03:16 PM
Also, does anyone know how/when you unlock the alternate costumes? I know each has a costume that's unlocked for 50 skulls, but the other two have shields under them which indicates they're unlocked automatically after doing something?

You can mouseover the shields to see. They're for beating the story game on Warmage and Nightmare difficulties.

Toastkart
2012-08-09, 12:29 PM
You can mouseover the shields to see. They're for beating the story game on Warmage and Nightmare difficulties.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

And I just beat the story mode with the sorceress. Not sure I like the first costume. Nightmare mode here I come.

BRC
2012-08-09, 12:38 PM
So far I have played till Passages on Warmage difficult and so far have only one level with 4 Skulls instead of 5 skulls and Passages + the following on apprentice difficult and the servant entrance.

My main problem is probably that my choke-point is not as effective as I would like it to be... I'm going to be happy as soon as I can afford Brimstone and lightning ring together with some other fully advanced traps.

I have an unhealthy love for the Warhammer as a chokepoint-holder. It dosn't let you "Fire and forget" like the Lightning Cloud, but it's almost absurdly powerful when fully upgraded.

Treayn
2012-08-09, 09:01 PM
I prefer the sorceress. Yeah, I think tar traps are a touch better than the ice vents, but I like her acid sprayers even better than the arrow walls, and I like the arrow walls.

Also, her scepter of domination is the only weapon I need for her. Sure, each shot isn't powerful, but rate of fire combined with its ability to charge up make it effective at a number of tasks. Charm is also useful if you can hit the right kinds of enemies.

Ohh, acid sprayers are one of this game's blessings, really good over-time damage. Only downside to them, compared to arrow walls, is that you can't upgrade and place them on ceilings.

Ice traps are worse than Tar pits though, as tar pits are very good due to no reset time.

As for the scepter, if the charmed creature dies, it explodes and stuns all orcs near it. So just wait for the explosion and charm the next weakest orc, and they'll never get far from the rift.

Also, sorceresses can glide in the air, really useful. Just hit spacebar after jumping.

Krazzman
2012-08-10, 01:59 AM
Jehaw I have not that much time on my hand for playing most of the time I play apprentice first then warmage to 5-skull it. I'm at the corridor level now (every other thing except Tunnels is 5skulled so far) and now I think I have a problem.

Gnoll Hunters... urgs I hate them. For the Flyers on that Level I think I go Arrow Walls at their entrance and buying the Lighning Ring (~150 skulls for spending) + haymakers. Minor killmaze at the north entrance(Grinder, Tar, Arrowwall and Barricades), shutting off one of the south entrances and then making a kill-box in the other. Not sure if I go swingingmaze or haymakers.

Maybe buying the reset-trinket as a faster swinging mace is making more dead orcs.