PDA

View Full Version : Craft: Weaponsmithing & Armorsmithing

Eldariel
2012-08-06, 10:36 AM
Why are these two separate skills? To me it would seem to make much more sense if "Craft: Metalsmithing" were a single skill but maybe I'm just missing something.

Keld Denar
2012-08-06, 10:53 AM
Even weirder, craft weaponsmithing allows you to make a bow, which is completely different that making a sword. In fact, making a sword is closer to making armor than making a bow...

I have nothing else to add.

umbergod
2012-08-06, 11:45 AM
Even weirder, craft weaponsmithing allows you to make a bow, which is completely different that making a sword. In fact, making a sword is closer to making armor than making a bow...

I have nothing else to add.

making a bow requires craft(bowmaking) actually

Quietus
2012-08-06, 11:54 AM
And Craft (Metalsmithing) is a completely separate entity, for making horseshoes and metal pots.

Andvare
2012-08-06, 12:09 PM
It is divided because otherwise Craft (metal) would be totally overpowered.
Well, compared to the other craft skills, ignoring Craft (alchemy).

Morph Bark
2012-08-06, 12:11 PM
I'm taking Craft (anything) and you can't stop me.

TheTick
2012-08-06, 12:15 PM
There's only one person with Craft(Anything) and that's MacGyver.

LanSlyde
2012-08-06, 12:28 PM
Reminds me of a temporary DM we had. It was a new campaign and a friend of mine took Profession (Deity), Craft (Object), and Perform (Miracle). The DM carelessly gave his sheet the OK without actually looking it over. He ended up using his profession check to know where the BBEG was located and what his plans were. Then used his craft check to make the key to get into his chambers (which otherwise would have sent them on a huge side-quest). Finally using his Perform check to make the BBEG see the error of his ways and dedicate the rest of his life good.

The DM, while not happy about all this, allowed it to occur because he was the one that cleared his character for the campaign.:smallcool:

ericgrau
2012-08-06, 01:57 PM
Lol I'd just say oops let me see that sheet again and fix that.

I file the crafts under the same category as cat v. commoner and don't worry about it. They're mostly for NPCs anyway. And as insufficient as they are in detail to be useful for a thorough system, it's already too much detail in some sense. The biggest shame is that players might actually take them. Craft, profession and perform (without a related class feature) really.

Keld Denar
2012-08-06, 01:57 PM
Obviously your DM wasn't shifty enough to counter that. Since there are no DCs for the skills listed, the DM is free to assign his own DCs. I find Avogadra's Number is a sufficiently high enough number to create an actual miracle with Perform: Miracle. Any more than that would just be silly, right?

Eldariel
2012-08-06, 02:00 PM
I file the crafts under the same category as cat v. commoner and don't worry about it. They're mostly for NPCs anyway. And as insufficient as they are in detail to be useful for a thorough system, it's already too much detail in some sense. The biggest shame is that players might actually take them. Craft, profession and perform (without a related class feature) really.

Well, it's actually relevant for a campaign I'm running since we tied the Craft-feats to the skills ('cause even tho it makes sense, I find it just plain cooler if it's a master smith who makes the magical junk, not a spellcaster) which made the skills a whole lot more relevant (of course, we're using GP costs as base for magical stuff).

The question arose as to why Weaponsmithing & Armorsmithing (and apparently Metalsmithing too) are separate instead of a generic "Craft: Metalsmithing".

ericgrau
2012-08-06, 02:01 PM
If you wanted a thorough system I'd problem subdivide the crafts further, even with multiple specific pieces being required for a single craft (e.g. bow = elastic projectile weapon + woodworking), but give out more points to spend to compensate or make skill points count for multiple.

The answer to why crafts are divided the way they are is simplicity. Like I said even then it's a bit too complicated. If you want something more detailed I'd say it's a great time to homebrew.

Metalsmithing runs into similar problems were the guy who makes iron pots is also great at balancing swords. No matter where you draw the boundaries something is left out or something extra that doesn't make sense is added in. Not that I'd be opposed to the added simplicity, it just doesn't make any more sense than weaponsmithing.

Andvare
2012-08-06, 02:16 PM
In all seriousness, it is probably partly based on RL.
Armour were just not something that every blacksmith would create, and a bladesmith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bladesmith) was not just a blacksmith.
It is also an old tradition in RP that they are separated.

For some reason, none of the other crafts, that are traditionally separated, are so in RP. For example, carpentry is always just carpentry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpentry#Types_and_occupations).

You should look into how it is done in Pathfinder, because there you can create magic items without being a spellcaster (using the Master Craftsman feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/master-craftsman---final)) or without access to the "right spell" (it does makes it harder though), and it doesn't cost XP either. And it is all tied to the relevant craft skill(s).