PDA

View Full Version : Poison-Using Archer?

yugi24862
2012-08-06, 01:27 PM
I'm trying to make a poison-using archer for a arena game, but not sure how to go about it. The DM is ok with me using poisons, and has allowed the master of poisons feat for DotU. However the book list means I cannot use factotum, which most of the builds I checked use. So any help how best to make a archer to make poison and shoot foes full of arrows full of poison? Its a 36 point buy, and we start at level 2, with 1500gp

Book list -PHB, PHB 2, Complete series, MM (1, 2, 3, 4), EPH, Tome of Battle (TOB), Spell Compendium, Libris Mortis, Unearthed Arcana

Draz74
2012-08-06, 01:44 PM
I'd go with a Psychic Warrior who picks up Psionic Minor Creation (and possibly Psionic Fabricate, eventually) via feats. PsyWars can be good archers -- they've got the feats, and a few archery-friendly Powers too.

ericgrau
2012-08-06, 02:09 PM
The general method is drow sleep poison and arrow spam IMO. They may pass one save but they won't pass 5. Be sure to get a high attack bonus too so those are actual hits rather than merely attacks. It's also good to take advantage of poison's non-action nature and still get a good strength for bow damage. That way after 5 lucky saves you still do damage anyway, so it's not a huge loss.

That's general tactics. I'll let others take it from here with feats, classes and so on.

Akal Saris
2012-08-06, 06:13 PM
Good archer classes: Fighter, Ranger, PsyWarr, Cleric, possibly Scout

Good poison-using classes: Classes that get lots of attacks, classes with save-or-suffer effects.

I'd say there's some good synergy for psywarr and cleric. PsyWarr isn't on the approved list though.

Human Cleric 2

Alternate class feature: Consider swapping Travel domain for travel devotion feat from Complete Champion - it would let you move and full attack, which I found very helpful for my archer.
Variant: Check if flaws from Unearthed Arcana are allowed. If so, they help the feat-starved cleric enormously.

Feats:
1: Point Blank Shot, Master of Poisons, Weapon Focus (Longbow)
1 Flaw: Precise Shot
1 Flaw: Rapid Shot
3: Zen Archer (C. Warrior)

Domains: Travel, War

If psionic sources are allowed (all free on the SRD), then:

Human PsyWarr 2

Feats:
1: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Master of Poisons
2: Rapid Shot
3: Psionic Shot [Future]
5: Psionic Meditation [Future]
6: Expanded Knowledge (Psionic Minor Creation) [Future]

Good luck!

Piggy Knowles
2012-08-06, 06:18 PM
If Eberron material is allowed, the lesser Mark of Making gives you Minor Creation as an SLA, and the greater version gives you Fabricate. It's a two or three feat investment, making it slightly worse than Hidden Talent (Psionic Minor Creation), but it's an option.

That being said...

A neraph ardent could do pretty amazingly. Take the Creation and Natural World mantles, which would give you both Psionic Minor Creation and Metamorphosis as powers known. Create lots of poisons with the former, and use the latter to turn into an arrow demon and fire off two bows per round.

EDIT: I should learn to read better, you listed sources at the beginning. Ardent is still an excellent choice, although the neraph comes from the Planar Handbook and wouldn't be an option.

yugi24862
2012-08-06, 06:28 PM
Good archer classes: Fighter, Ranger, PsyWarr, Cleric, possibly Scout

Good poison-using classes: Classes that get lots of attacks, classes with save-or-suffer effects.

I'd say there's some good synergy for psywarr and cleric. PsyWarr isn't on the approved list though.

Human Cleric 2

Alternate class feature: Consider swapping Travel domain for travel devotion feat from Complete Champion - it would let you move and full attack, which I found very helpful for my archer.
Variant: Check if flaws from Unearthed Arcana are allowed. If so, they help the feat-starved cleric enormously.

Feats:
1: Point Blank Shot, Master of Poisons, Weapon Focus (Longbow)
1 Flaw: Precise Shot
1 Flaw: Rapid Shot
3: Zen Archer (C. Warrior)

Domains: Travel, War

If psionic sources are allowed (all free on the SRD), then:

Human PsyWarr 2

Feats:
1: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Master of Poisons
2: Rapid Shot
3: Psionic Shot [Future]
5: Psionic Meditation [Future]
6: Expanded Knowledge (Psionic Minor Creation) [Future]

Good luck!

Unfortunately travel devotion is banned. The second build looks good though, I'll take some flaws to push some of the feats forward a bit. I also might take the mantled warrior ACF if I can get the DM to allow it, then take travel mantle for swift action teleport and move speed boosts.

That_guy_there
2012-08-06, 06:54 PM
You may want to look into the Generic Warrior or generic Expert class, choosing Skills, Bonus Feats and the like to support archery (and probably stealth). This is admittedly not the strongest way to go about this build but it is different.

As i'm not quite familiar with the master of poisons feat, you might want to pick up the Poison Use Feature (disregard this if the feat gives it to you).

Also Always make sure to apply the poison to EVERY arrow long before your matches, they remain envenomed practically forever!

Flickerdart
2012-08-06, 07:02 PM
Psionic Shot is largely useless, since even with Psionic Meditation and Hustle you're looking at 3 PP and a swift action for +2d6 on one attack every round, at the cost of two feats and a power known. Get a deep crystal bow instead - 2 PP for 2d6 damage, no action cost, no fuss.

gorfnab
2012-08-06, 08:04 PM
The Justice of Weald and Woe (CoR) is an archer prestige class that has poison use.

Gotterdammerung
2012-08-06, 11:29 PM
The Justice of Weald and Woe (CoR) is an archer prestige class that has poison use.

Not on his book list, sadly. It is one of my favorite archer prestige classes.

Akal Saris
2012-08-06, 11:52 PM
Poison usage as a class ability is largely made redundant by the Master of Poisons PrC anyhow though, since that also allows poisoning weapons as a swift action. Though that won't likely come up as an archer in any case.

Draz74
2012-08-07, 12:10 AM
PsyWarr isn't on the approved list though.

Sure it is. The OP is just using the abbreviation EPH instead of XPH.

Drinzor
2012-08-07, 05:53 AM
go Jungle Halfling, they get poison use. and +2 dex :D

Drinzor
2012-08-07, 05:55 AM
Jungle Halflings
Jungle Halflings live a much more settled life than their normal counterparts do. They build villages along rivers and burn clearings in the jungle to plant their crops. In addition, they gather the most abundant food source in their environment, fish, and hunt with poison-tipped weapons.

Racial Traits
Jungle Halflings have all halfling racial traits, with additions and exceptions as noted below.

•Weapon Proficiency: Jungle Halflings receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the throwing axe, handaxe, and shortbow (including composite shortbow) as bonus feats. For jungle halflings, the axe is both a practical tool and a ceremonial item. They grow up using the other weapons for hunting and fishing.
•Poison Use: jungle halflings use poison extensively when hunting, and as a result never poison themselves when applying poison to a weapon or when using a poisoned weapon in combat. Jungle halflings make extensive use of poisons harvested from vermin, particularly those that damage Dexterity scores.
•No racial bonus on saving throws. Jungle Halflings have no unusual ability to avoid mishaps.
•+2 racial bonus on Fortitude saying throws against poison: Jungle Halflings have adapted a resistance to their own favorite method of bringing down prey.
•No morale bonus on saving throws against fear: Jungle halflings may be cunning, but they are no braver than other races.
•No racial bonus on attack rolls with slings.
•Favored Class: Barbarian. A multiclass halfling's barbarian class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing. Jungle halflings live much closer to nature, and must rely on cunning, resourcefulness, persistence, courage, and mercilessness to survive. This trait replaces the normal halfling's favored class.

Gwendol
2012-08-07, 06:23 AM
While not really an archer, have you considered using a thrower build? Gawain made the Shredder a while back, which could be consulted for inspiration.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235408

eggs
2012-08-07, 12:41 PM
Just because it hasn't been mentioned, Psionic minor creation usually demands Linked Power to deal with manifesting times.

ima donkey
2012-08-07, 01:19 PM
I would go with poison dusk lizardfolk from mm3 I think. They get poison use free and a bunch of other awesome abilities.

Draz74
2012-08-07, 03:34 PM
Just because it hasn't been mentioned, Psionic minor creation usually demands Linked Power to deal with manifesting times.

If you're using this method, watch out for the following clause from Linked Power:

The linked power is automatically targeted on the same area or target as the power you manifest in this round (if the power you manifest this round has no area or target, choose an area or target in this round for the linked power to affect in the next round).

eggs
2012-08-07, 03:39 PM
If you're using this method, watch out for the following clause from Linked Power:
Self-affecting powers like Dimension hop/compression/etc. are ideal.

Salanmander
2012-08-07, 04:09 PM
I would go with poison dusk lizardfolk from mm3 I think. They get poison use free and a bunch of other awesome abilities.

I agree that poison dusk lizardfolk are awesome, but they do have LA +1. Now, in my opinion they're one of the few races that are actually /worth/ LA +1, but starting at level 2 that may hurt quite a bit.

(The most relevant benefits are +2 dex and con, poison use, and +3 natural armor. Oh, and they have 30 ft. move speed despite being small size.)

kitcik
2012-08-07, 04:33 PM
Use shapesand to make exotic poisons on the cheap. Works well with cleric archers who have high Wis.

Akal Saris
2012-08-07, 11:49 PM
Sure it is. The OP is just using the abbreviation EPH instead of XPH.

I totally read that as ELH and thought "Oh good, 18 levels from now, he'll have content for his epic feats..." :smalltongue:

Tvtyrant
2012-08-07, 11:54 PM
Warforged! Play one, don't get poisoned by your own attempts! Be swanky and wear a giant hat with a feather in it!

I believe MMIII has them, so you don't even need Eberron. I could be wrong about which MM, but I know one has them.

Draz74
2012-08-08, 12:18 AM
Self-affecting powers like Dimension hop/compression/etc. are ideal.

Indeed, as long as your DM doesn't rule that self-affecting powers count as having a target (you).

Dimension Hop, Hustle, or Grip of Iron are especially ideal, since they don't require your Standard Action to manifest.