PDA

View Full Version : Counter to Blindness/Deafness

yougi
2012-08-06, 05:06 PM
Hello!

So the spell Blindness/Deafness seems to be permanent. However, I am certain such things can be cured. What would be the lowest level spells that could cure these?

HunterOfJello
2012-08-06, 05:10 PM
Good question.

Since the duration is permanent, the constant presence of the spell is what keeps the person blind and deaf. I assume that a Dispel Magic spell would be able to remove the spell. That's a level 3 spell.

Orran
2012-08-06, 05:10 PM
Remove blindness/deafness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/removeBlindnessDeafness.htm)

Edit: The above poster is correct in that a permanent duration rather than instantaneous makes dispel magic a viable option. This seems like a slight oversight considering that the duration is the main advantage over glitterdust for instance, but could be argued for either case. Of note is that dispel magic would require a caster level check, but remove blindness/deafness wouldn't.

HunterOfJello
2012-08-06, 05:14 PM
The level 1 cleric/paladin/blackgruad spell Resurgence also possesses the potential to give the person a second save and remove the condition.

However, that spell is a bit strange in its wording and can be overpowered in interpretations.

KillianHawkeye
2012-08-06, 07:37 PM
Blindness and deafness will also be removed (along with a list of other adverse condtions) by a heal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/heal.htm) spell.

Flickerdart
2012-08-06, 08:14 PM
A psion, psychic warrior or character with Hidden Talent could use Synesthete (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/synesthete.htm) to remove the blindness or deafness as early as level 1, though only for short periods at a time.

avr
2012-08-06, 08:22 PM
Holding a knife to the casters throat until they dismiss it works too.

yougi
2012-08-07, 12:25 AM
I do realize my lack of details might have raised some problems.

Good question.

Since the duration is permanent, the constant presence of the spell is what keeps the person blind and deaf. I assume that a Dispel Magic spell would be able to remove the spell. That's a level 3 spell.

I would not have thought of that. A 3rd level spell, just like Remove, but Dispel is much more useful... Very good point, thank you!

Remove blindness/deafness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/removeBlindnessDeafness.htm)

Edit: The above poster is correct in that a permanent duration rather than instantaneous makes dispel magic a viable option. This seems like a slight oversight considering that the duration is the main advantage over glitterdust for instance, but could be argued for either case. Of note is that dispel magic would require a caster level check, but remove blindness/deafness wouldn't.

Yes, indeed. I should have mentioned that I had seen the spell, and was trying to go for a lower level variant.

Blindness and deafness will also be removed (along with a list of other adverse condtions) by a heal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/heal.htm) spell.

Obviously, although I did ask for the lowest level spell. Remove Blindness/Deafness being a 3rd level spell, it was therefore a superior answer.

A psion, psychic warrior or character with Hidden Talent could use Synesthete (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/synesthete.htm) to remove the blindness or deafness as early as level 1, though only for short periods at a time.

That is pretty early! Although, because I do not play with Psions (which should have been mentioned) it is of limited use.

Holding a knife to the casters throat until they dismiss it works too.

I think we have a winner!

Although killing them would not actually dispel the spell, would it?

HunterOfJello
2012-08-07, 01:09 AM
I think we have a winner!

Although killing them would not actually dispel the spell, would it?

No it would not. Also, if they have a handy skill trick from Complete Scoundrel (or you fail your spellcraft check), they can make it look like they're dispelling it and actually fireball your face off.

Thomasinx
2012-08-07, 01:50 AM
Yes, indeed. I should have mentioned that I had seen the spell, and was trying to go for a lower level variant.

There's lower level variants of dispel too. Arcane Turmoil (a 2nd level spell from CM), is basically just a targeted dispel.

That said, you'll still have to succeed on the dispel check.

Downysole
2012-08-07, 08:18 AM
That said, you'll still have to succeed on the dispel check.

Which is important to note because you're asking for the lowest level spell to handle this job. If you're looking for a low level spell, you're probably at a low caster level, and therefore would have a harder time winning the caster level check.

Remove Blindness/Deafness can be bought in a potion or scroll as well, if you're too low level to cast it.

yougi
2012-08-07, 08:33 AM
Which is important to note because you're asking for the lowest level spell to handle this job. If you're looking for a low level spell, you're probably at a low caster level, and therefore would have a harder time winning the caster level check.

Remove Blindness/Deafness can be bought in a potion or scroll as well, if you're too low level to cast it.

Exactly!

And as for the potion, I didn't think about it, this is very, very interesting, gives me quite a few ideas about how an evil cleric/wizard could make lots of money, blinding others from the shadows and then posing as a merchant who sells these potions for HUGE markups... intereting, innit?

Flickerdart
2012-08-07, 10:14 AM
Exactly!

And as for the potion, I didn't think about it, this is very, very interesting, gives me quite a few ideas about how an evil cleric/wizard could make lots of money, blinding others from the shadows and then posing as a merchant who sells these potions for HUGE markups... intereting, innit?
It's quite likely that anyone who could afford the potion at even base cost has the resources to acquire it at that cost.

yougi
2012-08-07, 10:31 AM
It's quite likely that anyone who could afford the potion at even base cost has the resources to acquire it at that cost.

That is also a very good point now that I think of it...

Wow, what measure is a non-special, right...

animewatcha
2012-08-07, 10:33 AM
Evil merchant, right? Whose to say that you didn't 'make yourself' the only source for said potion.

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-08-07, 11:16 AM
Evil merchant, right? Whose to say that you didn't 'make yourself' the only source for said potion.

Like by killing every Cleric over level 5 within sizable area? If you can do that you have better ways to make money than assaulting people then fleecing them.

Downysole
2012-08-07, 12:37 PM
You don't even have to sell them at high prices to get money out of this...Brew Potion will only cost you 375 a pop, so for every guy you get suckered in, you make 375 gold. Now if you're really creative, you can figure out that there's a beast in the nearby area that you can harvest for components to the potion to make even more money.

But then, people notice when their local supernatural beings start disappearing, one way or another.

Flickerdart
2012-08-07, 12:50 PM
You don't even have to sell them at high prices to get money out of this...Brew Potion will only cost you 375 a pop, so for every guy you get suckered in, you make 375 gold. Now if you're really creative, you can figure out that there's a beast in the nearby area that you can harvest for components to the potion to make even more money.

But then, people notice when their local supernatural beings start disappearing, one way or another.
Or you can just murder the local supernatural beings for their gold and not mess around with cursing people.

Selling the potion at cost doesn't even work either because simply buying a casting of Remove Blindness/Deafness is only 150gp and can be found in even the smallest cities.

kitcik
2012-08-07, 01:33 PM
Iron Heart Surge