PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild of my warforged [3.PF]

Hyde
2012-08-06, 06:01 PM
It's a half-celestial warforged paladin (we call it wing zero).

My questions are these-

With the ranged smite feat, could you then make smite attacks with rays? (Disintegrate, specifically).

Dual-wielding two-handed weapons- what's the most efficient way to do that? preferably while staying in-class, but I'm open to level-dips.

The system is Pathfinder, but we're more or less freely looting 3.5 content.

Any advice or ideas on how to make the thing more gundam-like would be appreciated.

Hyde
2012-08-06, 06:36 PM
bump? I'll send the first person to post some pictures of a delicious apple pie.

Unless they actually live near me, then I guess they could have some.

Togath
2012-08-06, 06:50 PM
The first way to get dual weilded two hand qeapons that come to mind, without switching race anyway. would be synthesist summoner, and taking the extra arms evolutions, though it would take a level dip to get it.
Any other ways to get an extra set of arms would work well as well, though most require specific races

Hyde
2012-08-06, 06:54 PM
Extra arms sounds fun. I'll take a look at that.

Togath
2012-08-06, 11:25 PM
Each extra set of limbs costs only two points, so you could actually get two extra arms, and another 1 point evolution for only a single level dip.
Though you can lose acess to it if you take too much damage(you can however heal some of it with a staff or wand of rejuvenate eidolon)

The Redwolf
2012-08-07, 12:05 AM
I'm sorry that I'm not being helpful, but I want to point out that I find this awesome because I'm soon playing a warforged based on the Burning Gundam, so this is just funny to me seeing someone do something similar.

Although, now that I think about it there's a prestige class for warforged, maybe there's something in there that'll let you wield larger weapons or buff your strength or something, because I know it makes you larger and tougher in general. For the record, you have to find some way to get your DM to make your swords bright pink, probably enchant them with shock as well.

Edit: With respect to the extra arms, being a warforged you could likely find a way to justify having them built onto you, since you are in fact a robot man/woman, just get an artificer or something similar. May not be a real written precedent, but a reasonable DM should be more than happy to help I would hope.

Andvare
2012-08-07, 12:20 AM
Just remember that if you go with Synthesist, unless you invest heavily in Synthesist, you are stuck with somewhat lackluster physical stats (str 16, dex 12, each 2 points extra cost 2 evolution points, as does extra arms, you start level 1 with 3...), and you cannot wear armour.

(Just to completely clear, this is only about the synthesist addition)

The Redwolf
2012-08-07, 12:22 AM
Just remember that, unless you invest heavily in Synthesist, you are stuck with somewhat lackluster physical stats (str 16, dex 12, each 2 points extra cost 2 evolution points, as does extra arms, you start level 1 with 3...), and you cannot wear armour.

But as a warforged you should already have good physical stats and you don't need armor.

Andvare
2012-08-07, 12:34 AM
But as a warforged you should already have good physical stats and you don't need armor.

Well, that is the point, a Synthesist's Eidolon "exoskeleton" supersedes your own physical stats, so you will use the Eidolon's strength and dexterity (though you can still use you own constitution, at least for some things).

And you always need armour with that low a dexterity, as otherwise, your AC will be in the low teens.

The Redwolf
2012-08-07, 12:35 AM
Well, that is the point, a Synthesist's Eidolon "exoskeleton" supersedes your own physical stats, so you will use the Eidolon's strength and dexterity (though you can still use you own constitution, at least for some things).

And you always need armour with that low a dexterity, as otherwise, your AC will not even be a teenager.

The character's stats haven't been addressed though, so why are you assuming low dex?

Andvare
2012-08-07, 12:42 AM
The character's stats haven't been addressed though, so why are you assuming low dex?

You clearly do not know what an Eidolon is or how a summoner/synthesist works, so here:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner

While fused with his eidolon, the synthesist uses the eidolon’s physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), but retains his own mental ability scores (Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma).

And the base of the Eidolon, with which you would use this is:

Size Medium; Speed 30 ft.; AC +2 natural armor; Saves Fort (good), Ref (bad), Will (good); Attack 2 claws (1d4); Ability Scores Str 16, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 11

It is not an assumption, it is a fact.

Or are you misunderstanding what I'm writing, because I'm only commenting on using a Synthesist to gain more arms?

The Redwolf
2012-08-07, 12:56 AM
You clearly do not know what an Eidolon is or how a summoner/synthesist works, so here:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner

And the base of the Eidolon, with which you would use this is:

It is not an assumption, it is a fact.

Or are you misunderstanding what I'm writing, because I'm only commenting on using a Synthesist to gain more arms?

I know both summoners and synthesist, I was just saying there are other options and it seems like you're automatically assuming they're just going to go with synthesist. It just felt like you were being presumptuous to me since the thread was asking for options and it feels like you are saying you've decided for them, that's all. I wasn't trying to offend or anything like that.

Andvare
2012-08-07, 01:23 AM
I know both summoners and synthesist, I was just saying there are other options and it seems like you're automatically assuming they're just going to go with synthesist. It just felt like you were being presumptuous to me since the thread was asking for options and it feels like you are saying you've decided for them, that's all. I wasn't trying to offend or anything like that.

I can see now that my first post was rather unclear. I was only talking about a Warforged/Paladin/Synthesist build. (Which I think is rather a poor choice given the great physical stats of the warforged).
My first comment wasn't directed at you at all.

Sorry about that. I'll go edit it now.

Edit: A case of misunderstanding, apparently caused by my lack of communication skills. Bah, who needs that anyhoo. :smallwink:

The Redwolf
2012-08-07, 01:34 AM
I can see now that my first post was rather unclear. I was only talking about a Warforged/Paladin/Synthesist build. (Which I think is rather a poor choice given the great physical stats of the warforged).
My first comment wasn't directed at you at all.

Sorry about that. I'll go edit it now.

Edit: A case of misunderstanding, apparently caused by my lack of communication skills. Bah, who needs that anyhoo. :smallwink:

Yeah, sorry, I hadn't realized at the time you were referring back to the synthesist.:smallsmile:

Andvare
2012-08-07, 02:50 AM
With that misunderstanding out of the way, you could go with a dib in Alchemist, though it would have to be a four level dib, as you need two discoveries to get a whole pair of extra arms.

You would lose one BAB, but sorta gain it back via mutagens with +4 to strength (or another attribute) +2 natural armour bonus. And it is an alchemy bonus, which means it stacks with pretty much anything.

You could go with the Vivisectionist Archetype for a precision (it is called sneak attack, but the fluff for a Vivisectionist is that it is more of a Frankensteinian surgeon precision) attack of +2d6 at 3rd level.

Or Beastmorph Archetype, which would grant you one of the Alter Self abilities when using mutagens.

But perhaps the best Archetype, fluff wise, would be the Chirurgeon. This allows you to use your potion to heal your team-mates (cure light and moderate wound).

With a paladin, the fluff for all but the Chirurgeon is a bit iffy, going into Jekyll/Hyde/Frankenstein areas, which is probably a bit too dark for a paladin.
But a Chirurgeon seeks this knowledge to heal, not to hurt or for the knowledge itself.
And you could further re-fluff it by saying that you went off the path, because you found it too dangerous (having grown two extra arms...)

You do have to agree with your GM if this works, as the wording of the extra arms are a bit iffy:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries/paizo---alchemist-discoveries/vestigial-arm-ex

Andvare
2012-08-07, 02:53 AM
With the ranged smite feat, could you then make smite attacks with rays? (Disintegrate, specifically).

No.

Your smite ability can be channeled through your ranged weapon

The feat specifies that it is used through a ranged weapon, so unless your bow throws disintegrate (wouldn't that be nice :smallbiggrin: ), this is a no-go.

Andvare
2012-08-07, 02:58 AM
BTW, if you are stealing from 3.5, why not just use the Monkey Grip feat?

Monkey Grip [General, Fighter]
This feat allows you to wield a weapon one size larger than normal in one hand.
Prerequisite: Str 13, +1 Base Attack Bonus.
Benefit: This feat grants the ability to wield melee weapons that are one size too large for your race, as if they were one size smaller, at a –2 penalty to hit. (This includes using two-handed weapons as single-handed weapons, as two-handed weapons are considered a size category larger.)
Special: A Fighter may select this as a bonus feat.

You would end up with a -6 to hit on both arms though (with the Two Weapon Fighting feat, a lot more without), two more than the Alchemist way.

Edit: Unfortunately, you can't use both the alchemist and this feat, as the vestigial arms cannot grant you more attacks. If you want a whole lotta two-handed swords, you are almost required to go Synthesist AFAIK.

panaikhan
2012-08-07, 07:39 AM
Taking levels of Artificer and grabbing a Belt of Extra Arms (or whatever it's called) from Eberron might get you the extra arms and the ability to attack with multiple two-handed weapons. I'd have to look it up. I don't have my books here.

<edit> Artificer is also a way to get Enlarge Self (at least for a warforged). Just saying...

Hyde
2012-08-09, 12:40 PM
Yeah, not really digging the synthesist option. it's a metric crap ton of wasted strength.

That belt o thingies might be a good way to go. I'll have to look into it.

DeusMortuusEst
2012-08-09, 01:04 PM
No.

The feat specifies that it is used through a ranged weapon, so unless your bow throws disintegrate (wouldn't that be nice :smallbiggrin: ), this is a no-go.

OTOH you can actually pick WF and similar feats for rays, and while I'm unsure of the actual wording of the rules in CM there is precedent for allowing such feats to work with spells.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-09, 06:31 PM
OTOH you can actually pick WF and similar feats for rays, and while I'm unsure of the actual wording of the rules in CM there is precedent for allowing such feats to work with spells.

There's a list of feat allowed to work with Weapon-like Spells in Complete Arcane, pages 72/73.