PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on a campaign idea?

Dire Panda
2012-08-06, 10:11 PM
Forewarning: If you game with a rotund bearded guy who designs neutron sources for a living, this topic may very well contain spoilers for our next campaign.

It all started with the common fantasy trope that powerful wizards tend to go mad from studying That Which Man Was Not Meant to Know. But surely it can't just be wizards? Show me a cleric who's been worshiping a particular god for the past twenty levels, and I'll show you someone who's so committed to his belief system (one that grants him world-shaking power, no less) that he's completely unable to consider alternate points of view of view. Or what about the high-level fighter who spent years butchering sentient, screaming creatures, witnessing at close range every conceivable type of bodily harm?

In other words, what if gaining levels has a direct mechanical impact on one's sanity?

I've been developing this campaign seed for a couple of days now and would appreciate feedback and suggestions. My ideas so far:

Every level beyond first applies a cumulative derangement to the character, starting small but rapidly escalating. Each class applies different effects (wizards might develop megalomania, while rogues may become paranoid), but there should be multiple options per class for the player to choose. They'd all include roleplaying elements as well as mechanical penalties, the overall effect being to make high-level characters difficult to play.
It would be common knowledge that powerful people tend to go mad - so much so that forming teams to hunt down higher-level adventurers is a major part of any adventurer's life. Kingdoms rapidly rise through conquest and fall when their leaders are inevitably slain... or go mad and marry all their heirs to a koi pond, dooming their line. As such, the world is stuck in a dark age.
Early in the campaign, the PCs would discover some spell/ritual/artifact that grants selective amnesia to a willing character, lowering their level while letting them keep their memories. (It's safer than finding some critter to level-drain them!) They'd level up after every game session, so strategic use of the artifact would be critical - too high-level and they can't function, too low-level and they get slaughtered.
Eventually the PCs discover that the Powers That Be - not necessarily the gods worshiped by mortals - intentionally designed the world like this to ensure that mortal society was in a state of constant flux. Perhaps the mortals of the previous world had experienced enough positive feedback - powerful adventurers acquired resources and rapidly gained additional power - that they challenged the Powers That Be and the ensuing conflict destroyed their world. The current system ensures that any high-level character either destroys himself or is torn down by the next generation... and keeps the world alive, at the cost of continual violence. The PCs would have the choice of working to undo the phenomenon.

What do you think?

Ramshack
2012-08-06, 10:22 PM
A group I gamed up had our most memorable characters when we gave them character quarks like this. My friend played a Mystic Thurge and was so enamored in studying the world around him, reading every book that he played very absent minded player, and as he became stronger and unlocked more secrets he blinked in and out of sanity.

Memorable moments were fighting hydra as he found what appeared to be a new species of plant, he watched us fight while he studied. We also marched for 3 months when he knew the mass teleport spell but didn't think of its practical applications...

It was quiet a fun and enjoyable character. In the same campaign I played a Paladin/Fighter with some Charge Optimization but nothing too bad. I had terrible PTSD. I had charged and 1 shot so many people and creatures. I'd end fights drenched in gore and would spend hours cleaning my armor. The color red made me feel dirty, I had to clean or remove it. Getting wet made me flash back to entrails and blood covered battles. I'd space out, flash back, get nervous or OCD easily.

It was even more enjoyable because we tied the two characters together. The Mystic started as a cleric and I was a new paladin charged to protect him as he was charged by the church to seek, learn and collect knowledge for the library. And through our adventures together became consumed and changed.

As the mystic lost touch with reality my character often joked that he would die defending him, or trying to kill him.

My favorite campaign by far

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-06, 10:27 PM
Have you looked at the sanity system in UA? It can do pretty much exactly what you're talking about, straight from the box. Assuming of course that it's a typical campaign with monsters and dungeons and the like.

Mithril Leaf
2012-08-06, 10:31 PM
Forewarning: If you game with a rotund bearded guy who designs neutron sources for a living, this topic may very well contain spoilers for our next campaign.

I never had considered it before, but now I really want to do this.

Anyway, the campaign seems pretty cool, the UA sanity system does indeed work well for this as previously mentioned. It would certainly justify the wide variety of medical drugs that my character would be taking.

Morithias
2012-08-06, 10:37 PM
First thing that came to mind.

What happens if someone plays an exalted character.

You know, like a vow of peace healer. What kind of "sanity loss" would they have?

Would high level magic and psychological counselling be able to "repair" their minds?

If the wizard goes "I AM A GOD WORSHIP ME OR SUFFER" and I sanctify the wicked him, does his mind go back to normal, or would the purifying not heal his ego?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-06, 11:13 PM
First thing that came to mind.

What happens if someone plays an exalted character.

You know, like a vow of peace healer. What kind of "sanity loss" would they have?

Would high level magic and psychological counselling be able to "repair" their minds?

If the wizard goes "I AM A GOD WORSHIP ME OR SUFFER" and I sanctify the wicked him, does his mind go back to normal, or would the purifying not heal his ego?

These questions are why I suggest the UA sanity rules. It covers all of this and more. It's even got the not-so-obvious trait of being a slippery slope. The more insane you are, the faster you get more insane.