PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age D20 Project (help needed)

Drogon Malice
2012-08-07, 06:41 AM
Hi All i've been out of the game world for a spell and am looking to come back by starting a much needed Dragon Age D20 homebrew project. i was hoping to keep the class and skill system from 3.5 the golden rule is your not allowed to cross class naturally, the magic system would need to be revamped i would imagine.

is anyone interested on helping me with this project? i would be very greatful if i could get a voulinteer or two.

Drogon

---edit---

i should make it clear i am referring to Dragon age 1 not dragon age 2, there are a lot of things that irk me about dragon age 2, like how fighters can zip across the screen Anime style. i like dragon age 1 because the game had a sense of things being realistic i found dragon age 2 killed that dead.

Waker
2012-08-07, 09:45 AM
When you say you want to keep the class system, do you mean that you want the full list of classes that D&D uses (clerics, monks and the whole shebang) or just the method by which one levels up, increases BAB, svs and the like?
If you are going to make new classes, I would suggest taking a look at the generic classes from UA to give you some guidance.

Drogon Malice
2012-08-08, 06:41 AM
yeah i ment the basic system in which characters level up, i was thinking that some classes could be transfered over such as NPC classes of Warrior, expert, commoner, etc. for PHB classes fighter and barbarian could stay, to accurately make the mage from Dragon age i feel its a cross between sorcerer and wizard, where magic is natural within people and they feel it but they can research more or new spells, Rouge and Assassin are things which could also stay i would of imagined.

Templar in itself needs to be a base class which i assume could be a variation of fighter with feats as class feats such as Mage Slayer, etc.

i noticed something else which i'm hoping i got right, basicly i noticed that with Dragon Age the more you level your skills advance the better your combat gets so i had come up with a system which needs testing and a bit of organising, basicly i took diffrent sets of skills and put them into diffrent catagorys for example

Physical is its own class of skills and it has
Interrogation
Jump
Climb
Swimg

Labour Skills (i guess this would be close to the start professions in D20 Modern)
miner
wood cutter
fisher
foreman
forager
farmer
tailor
tailor
merchant

Crafting has rune crafting, lyrium folding blacksmithing and leather working weapon smithing and armor smithing, posion making, bomb making and trap making.

knowldge is in its own section
same with Magic and other skills, i didn't actually have anything down for templars yet

but for example in the magic section theres fire magic, keeping to the level +3 skill points max. 1 skill point means you can cast that form of Magic, and the number of skill points determins how man spells of that level you get access too.

given that with the exception of dragon age 2 you don't see spells above 6th level being cast the level -> spell casting system needs to be re-worked, but this also means there is a potent magical varience for example, some people could be more compitent fire magic casters but then suck majorly at healing Magic, so there needs to be a Rank vs what spell you get system there as a possibility, it also means the evocation spells need to be broken down and re-classed into difrrent elements, yes that means more work but given theres force magic, death magic, blood magic, illusion magic, spell research healing magic, ritual magic and etheral magic all as skills it gives a nice spread and shows what someone can cast and use over other things.

there is a section called "other" which has everything from Appraise - use rope counting spot search slieght of hand etc

so skills = how many spells from that catagory you get per level and the spell level vs mage level needs to be changed.

but these are ideas feel free to pick them appart to find something easier

oh along with HP and AC, REF,WILL and FORT, i have put in a Taint count so if you get the taint it will measure how fast it runs through your viens i've not really looked to much into it but apparently theres a taint / corruption system in heroes of horror, i also put in a Psyche Counter, psyche basicly is your ability to handle combat situations, even the most hardened warriors sometimes go "F*ck This!" and run off, its also more about how you handle a room and how it effects your performance in combat. what i mean by that is you walk into a room filled with human bodys and its got 50 darkspawn plus an ogre, your not gonna be feeling too hot just from entering the room, i feel that also needs a bit of work.

What do you think mate?

Yora
2012-08-08, 07:00 AM
Step 1 would be taking the Generic Classes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm) as a starting point. Then identify the major problems with them and work on something to make them work.

I think also that spellcasters should be point based and not slot based. But instead of converting the quite problematic spellcaster to spell points (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/spellPoints.htm), I would go a much easier route and instead go straight to the psion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm).
The 3.5e psion is a very good well designed class! As a full caster very powerful of course, but with the in-build augmentation and psionic focus mechanics, it's a really good point based magic system for d20. Remove the Disciplines and instead assign all powers to the four Schools Primal, Nature, Creation, and Entropy. Not all powers are good for a Dragon Age game, but there are enough to emulate almost any DA spell. There's no good healing power, but that's easily done.

Something to ponder would be making the entire thing E6 (http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/206323-e6-game-inside-d-d.html) or E10.

If you want specializations, I think I'd go with 3-level or 5-level prestige classes. If you are going with E6, they don't have to follow the guideline that you can enter a PrC at 6th level at the earliest.

And I guess at that point it's really just making stats for hurlocs, genlocks, and shrieks And yeah... Ready to play DA.

Oh, and another idea would be to just start with Iron Heroes.

Drogon Malice
2012-08-08, 10:41 AM
Step 1 would be taking the Generic Classes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm) as a starting point. Then identify the major problems with them and work on something to make them work.

I think also that spellcasters should be point based and not slot based. But instead of converting the quite problematic spellcaster to spell points (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/spellPoints.htm), I would go a much easier route and instead go straight to the psion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm).
The 3.5e psion is a very good well designed class! As a full caster very powerful of course, but with the in-build augmentation and psionic focus mechanics, it's a really good point based magic system for d20. Remove the Disciplines and instead assign all powers to the four Schools Primal, Nature, Creation, and Entropy. Not all powers are good for a Dragon Age game, but there are enough to emulate almost any DA spell. There's no good healing power, but that's easily done.

Something to ponder would be making the entire thing E6 (http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/206323-e6-game-inside-d-d.html) or E10.

If you want specializations, I think I'd go with 3-level or 5-level prestige classes. If you are going with E6, they don't have to follow the guideline that you can enter a PrC at 6th level at the earliest.

And I guess at that point it's really just making stats for hurlocs, genlocks, and shrieks And yeah... Ready to play DA.

Oh, and another idea would be to just start with Iron Heroes.

no offence ment but what you said just hurt my brain, i think i heard my skull crack on that one.

i wanted to veer clear of all the Psionic into spell caster stuff trueth be told i feel theres a way to do it with the magic user classes, i don't want to divvy up the spells into "utility spells" maybe we can say the templars cracked down further on the mages, did something to the phylacterys to give mages a cool down period on thier spells, or maybe the spells could differ like.... a mage can cast 6 spells per day per level, this way it not just a flat 6 but thats only with thier staff with them, if they are disarmed of it then its only 6 spells per day, untill they get a new one this way the higher level mage you are the more spells you get.maybe with the new spell level vs class level limits you could get an extra 6 spells per day at level 2 for 1st level spells this way if you hit level 3, it 18 level 1 spells per day and 6 level 2 spells per day and then that continues to build as you level and repeat.

Viladin454
2012-08-23, 09:37 PM
I had started a Dragon Age d20 project and gave up after making one class and a few races. You're welcome to use anything I made.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192567

devlingreye
2012-08-23, 09:45 PM
I like what you came up with, i love dragon age the game and the dragon age rpg is lacking. I have had a problem in the past with keeping the number of points in a pool , like your stamina, and the abilities to use them equal. If you come into a similar problem I have used a round cool down system in the past and it worked fairly well.