PDA

View Full Version : fist-throwing?

Dimers
2012-08-07, 07:08 AM
The feat Piercing Palm lets a monk/rogue use punches for rogue powers that require a light blade. If you were DMing, would you let such a character 'throw' their 'fist' as part of a ranged rogue power? Would you for a rogue burst or blast power?

Ashdate
2012-08-07, 07:34 AM
The feat Piercing Palm lets a monk/rogue use punches for rogue powers that require a light blade. If you were DMing, would you let such a character 'throw' their 'fist' as part of a ranged rogue power? Would you for a rogue burst or blast power?

The feat is specific about which powers you can use your fists for:

Benefit: You can deal your Sneak Attack damage with your monk unarmed strike. You can use your monk unarmed strike with melee or close rogue powers and rogue paragon path powers that require the use of a light blade.

Rogue close burst or close blast powers are fine, ranged and ranged burst are not by RAW.

That said, rule of cool might apply; it's not uncommon for actors in martial arts movies to toss whatever is handy at their opponents to try and get a edge. The Monk could easily just hold a dagger in his/her hand to toss with a Rogue ranger power, so you're pretty much talking doing from a d4 weapon to a d8, which isn't a huge deal. My group is full of filthy optimizers, so I wouldn't allow it, but it wouldn't be game-breaking to allow, and if you're some sort of Monk/Rogue hybrid, it might even be recommended given how Hybrid classes usually aren't very strong.

Alejandro
2012-08-07, 09:15 AM
I'd allow it if it were a warforged.

:smallbiggrin:

Dimers
2012-08-07, 11:12 AM
The feat is specific about which powers you can use your fists for:

Whoops. :smallredface: Well, that's why I ask, 'cos sometimes I miss the obvious.

if you're some sort of Monk/Rogue hybrid, it might even be recommended given how Hybrid classes usually aren't very strong.

Ech. I can't imagine a reason to hybridize two strikers together. Well, maybe barbarian with something, because rages work fine with other striker features and MBAs, but ... definitely not monk and rogue.

Alan_Pehnereas
2012-08-07, 11:27 PM
I wasn't going to post until I saw that "I can't imagine a reason to hybridize two strikers together" bit.

Perma-Strike.
Multi-Source Damage Novas.
Throw-and-Stab Shenanigans.
Pigeon Mounted Pixies.

I can think of a few good reasons. :)

I'm sure Tegu could help you here, too.

Tegu8788
2012-08-08, 01:16 AM
Speak of the devil, and he appears.

I'll direct you to my hybrid chart for a list of functional hybrid strikers, it's in my signature. Never claimed they are optimal, but functional. Some require more finesse than others striker|striker particularly the case.

One example, a Black Widow or River Tam esk character would mechanically be a good Monk|Rogue. Some players may just want the Monk movement options for a Rogue to use. Or perhaps, after a knife is thrown and you're unarmed, you can still attack well.

These are just a few off the top of my head.

Alan_Pehnereas
2012-08-09, 08:00 PM
Tegu - I'm building a nova-ish perma-stealth Hybrid. We need to discuss this sometime! I could use your help.

Tegu8788
2012-08-09, 09:05 PM
Striker nova is something I'm starting to work on, stealth I've just read over, but always glad to help.

OP, another reason for a Monk|Rogue "throwing" a fist could be a dirty trick, using monk ki focus to "charge" a handful of sand thrown in enemies eyes.

Feichi
2012-08-29, 09:54 AM
I know this is bit of a necromancy post here, but I'm reminded of all the kung fu movies where a character would punch an enemy from a distance using something like a little vacuum wave or a blast of chi. I'd totally allow "fist throwing," but fluffing it via "it is my mastery of kung fu!"