PDA

View Full Version : Flashman esque Heroes

t209
2012-08-07, 10:50 AM
How many heroes (or anti heroes) have the quality and traits of the character, Flashman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Paget_Flashman) from the Flashman book series? I know that Ciaphus Cain is closer to Flashman since he became the "hero of the Imperium" since he's lucky and
either he's a coward or thinks that he's a coward.
and Rincewind, a cowardly wizard from Discworld.

dehro
2012-08-08, 04:28 AM
I've only read 2 novels of the Flashman series. I've thoroughly hated the experience despite the brilliant writing and great historic detail. I have done so mainly because of him.
I've hated the character and hated the fact that he never seems to get what he deserves.

honestly, I don't see the comparison with Rincewind. yes, they're both cowards..but occasionally Rincewind stands up to Fate, the bad guy, his flaws, and does the right thing..in fact he does so more often than any coward I know of. Flashman only gets to be a hero because he stumbles into stuff as he is trying to run away from danger. admittedly, on occasion this happens to Rincewind too, but much less so than Flashman and, crucially, Rincewind almost always comes clean about the extent of his contribution and about his reasons and actual intentions. Flashman on the other hand makes the most outrageous claims and takes the biggest advantages he can possibly get from his lucky windfalls...and then proceeds to rub those "personal achievements" in the face of others.
no..Rincewind is a coward, but that's his only flaw, countered by a number of talents and virtues. Flashman has all the flaws a man of his era could have, and then some.. and none of the virtues...except for a plot-driven luck that makes him come out on top. Rincewind, at best, comes out alive..never on top. he's usually dropped into bigger misery, in fact.

I could go on for another hour..but I'm trying to contain my rant, so I shall leave it at this. :smallbiggrin:

Fragenstein
2012-08-08, 06:25 AM
Rincewind is a coward, but that's his only flaw...

To be fair, he's also a bit lazy.

Selrahc
2012-08-08, 08:53 AM
I've hated the character and hated the fact that he never seems to get what he deserves.

That is basically the premise of the series. If you can't find a dastardly character entertaining without some sort of "justice" being meted out, then he isn't really for you.

I'd say Rincewind is a very similar character. In narrative style at least. Both Flashman and Rincewind are cowardly in the extreme, and both of their adventures generally consist of being in a location that is extremely unfamiliar to them during monumental events, and watching things unfold. Pratchett is a fan of the Flashman series, so I could certainly see Rincewind being partially inspired by Flashman. Of course the two characters aren't identical.

dehro
2012-08-08, 09:22 AM
I still think that their cowardice is the only common trait they have.

Selrahc
2012-08-08, 11:52 AM
I still think that their cowardice is the only common trait they have.

Skill with languages? Tendency to get involved with beautiful but dangerous women, and larger than life heroes? Frighteningly competent sidekicks? The way a Flashman book and a Rincewind book is layed out is very very similar. More so than between Flashman and Cain, who is actually directly based on him.

There is a fundamental difference in their characters. Rincewind is completely incompetent, basically good willed and utterly without ego. Flashman is full of ego, basically sadistic and quite dangerously competent at times. That doesn't mean they don't also have some deep similarities.

dehro
2012-08-08, 01:49 PM
Skill with languages? Tendency to get involved with beautiful but dangerous women, and larger than life heroes? Frighteningly competent sidekicks? The way a Flashman book and a Rincewind book is layed out is very very similar. More so than between Flashman and Cain, who is actually directly based on him.

There is a fundamental difference in their characters. Rincewind is completely incompetent, basically good willed and utterly without ego. Flashman is full of ego, basically sadistic and quite dangerously competent at times. That doesn't mean they don't also have some deep similarities.I had forgotten the skill with languages.
the rest however is not in their control or makeup..dangerous women, saving the day, larger than life heroes..that's just plot..which doesn't define the characters.

Dragonus45
2012-08-13, 03:30 PM
If you don't mind 40k Ciaphus Cain is essentially Flashman in if he was a commissar. He does have a lot more wiggle room when it comes too whether he really is an immense jackass or just being hard on himself from over a century of survivors guilt.