PDA

View Full Version : Magus: Strix or Goblin?

Brock Samson
2012-08-07, 12:22 PM
Hey guys, after reading the Magus Handbook I've decided that I definitely want to try a Magus out. For the race I was thinking either a Strix or Goblin, Strix have a Natural fly speed, medium size, +2 Dex, - 2 Cha, Goblins get to be small, and the +4 Dex is nice.

We're starting at level 1 so if I played a Goblin I'd have to slug through like 7 levels before even getting access to Fly, and even then would have to spend spell slots and ACTIONS on it. Plus if I can eventually permanently Reduce myself, as a Strix I'd have the same Dex bonus as a Goblin, but still threaten, whereas a Reduced Goblin would be tiny and have no threaten squares (right?).

So... what are people's opinions on the two? Goblin now would get me an overall +2 to hit (and +1 damage as I'll either go Dervish Dance or an Agile weapon eventually). Strix means flight!

Suddo
2012-08-07, 12:36 PM
I'm unfamilar with Strix, but from how you described it its the obvious choice if you're going Wizard/Beguiler (vs Wizard/Sorc).

eggs
2012-08-07, 12:46 PM
Unless you're doing something clever with the bite attack, Strix just offers more than Goblin. Goblin's big contribution is the Dex bonus, but that's somewhat undercut by smaller size (nice on casters, nasty for front-liners) and the strength penalty it has to deal with until ECL 3.

Khosan
2012-08-07, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't consider the loss of flight too big of a deal at low levels. Especially for a melee character.

Brock Samson
2012-08-07, 12:58 PM
Well, Extraordinary flight is always a nice thing. Something especially uncommon at lower levels.

This DM does tend to level you fairly quickly, so I think hitting level 3 would only take take maybe 3 sessions frankly.

The size of the weapon, Scimitar, means only a different of 1 point on average (1d4 or 1d6), barely noticible. Hmmm....

Spuddles
2012-08-07, 03:16 PM
Go with flight. You can get another +1 to hit for height advantage if you fly above your foes. Plus flying lets you kite, hide in new places, etc.

NamelessNPC
2012-08-07, 07:56 PM
I'd say go with flight too, though the damage is the same assumming you are using a scimitar and dervish dance.

But flying is just awesome, unless your DM sends enemies that attack at range all the time

Akal Saris
2012-08-07, 11:57 PM
I'd go with strix as well.

(Though I think tiefling and elf are two other strong contenders for magus!)

StreamOfTheSky
2012-08-11, 01:12 AM
Best Magus race is Tiefling, especially now that advanced race guide lets you get a tail (it can hold a metamagic rod for you!). Ratfolk is also decent.

Of the two you're looking at, definitely go Strix.