PDA

View Full Version : Charging in a straight line?

Dairuga
2012-08-07, 02:30 PM
Now, this is a relatively simple question, but it seems that no matter how much I argue, I cannot seem to form a consensus with my players on what constitutes a "Straight line".

Now, for simplicity's sake, I would say that a straight line means straight ahead on the grid we are playing on, either north, south, west or east; or Northeast, northwest, southwest and southeast, following the corners, every second square of diagonal movement taking the same penalty as normal, costing two steps for every second diagonal square you enter (Is this even right? I was told this is how it works).

My group however, says that, by using a line tool that the Program we use to lay out a grid, which is telling exactly how far in feet one area is to another, they draw a line that, say, makes someone move like the Knight in a game of chess: One square to the left, and two northwards. This, the player states, constitutes a straight line from the starting square to the ending square. The player shows this by not bothering to move the character from square to square, but rather slides the character from the starting to the ending spot in one, straight line. The player also states that the rules mean it to work in a way that says "As long as no areas within the chosen path is counted as difficult terrain, the player can charge there".

This.. sounds a bit off to me, to be entirely honest, with the character crossing parts of numerous squares in the grid to get to the destination point, wtihout fully entering them. While the character is being slid in a straight line, said straight line is not "Straight" according to the grid, but rather quasi-diagonal.

Is this legal?

Medic!
2012-08-07, 02:50 PM
As long as the movement itself is in a straight line, you're golden, regardless of the position of squares you pass through, if that makes sense.

You might end up one square over and two squares up, but you traveled in a straight line to get there. It helps to remember that when you occupy a 5 ft square, you aren't taking up the whole square, so it's possible to travel through a square just by clipping the very tip of the corner, etc.

It's very easy to get into a board-game mentality when you see the squares on the mat/table...how many of us count out our movement by touching our minis to each square like we're playin candyland or chutes and ladders? That's where the misunderstanding is originating I think.

Telonius
2012-08-07, 02:53 PM
We've always ruled it that you can charge anywhere in your line of sight. Basically, if a Wizard can hit it with a lightning bolt with a range of (your charge movement), you can charge there. Charging from A to B would be possible.

xxxxBxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
xAxxxxxxxx

Just generally, diagonal motion counts as 5 for the first, 10 for the second, 5 for the third, 10 for the fourth, and so on. If you really need to, Pythagorean Theorem should let you know if the target is in charge range.

BRC
2012-08-07, 02:54 PM
Yeah, the Squares are just gameplay abstractions that exist to make keeping track of combat a little easier. If they can draw a straight line between the Charger and the Target, then they are golden.

Slipperychicken
2012-08-07, 02:58 PM
AFAIK, if you draw a straight line from your starting position to the desired position (rulers or tape measures can work), you can charge it. You then move through the squares that line passes through. If you want to be real fancy, get a program where you can plug in values for the pythagorean theorem so you can do more "realistic" movement.

Doing otherwise makes things really wonky, like being able to charge when a guy is directly north, but not when he's 10ft to the West.

Allanimal
2012-08-07, 03:01 PM
There is always a straight line between any two points (squares). You have to follow that line in a charge, not turn corners. Any obstacles, difficult terrain, etc. is in the way, you can't do it. Or charge around it.

kitcik
2012-08-07, 03:04 PM
The picture on page 27 of the Rules Compendium clearly demonstrates that your players are correct.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-07, 03:12 PM
There are pictures right in the Player's Handbook on pages 154-155 that demonstrate that your players are absolutely correct. You count squares in the most direct path to determine distance, but as long as a straight line as wide as the character's base from the starting square to the ending square doesn't collide with any obstacles or creatures, a charge is possible.

eggs
2012-08-07, 03:37 PM
I would be deeply amused by a dungeon with hallways built 30 degrees off-cardinal directions for the purpose of shutting down any charges in the premises.

Person_Man
2012-08-07, 03:47 PM
The map is just an abstraction. It's the actual movement that needs to be in a strait line. In fact, you can even Jump as part of a Charge. (According to the Leap Attack Feat, anyway). The point is that you can't turn around a corner or obstacle to get from point A to point B.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-07, 04:44 PM
IMO, the easiest way to adjudicate this would be to get one of those cheapo flat, plastic rulers that's paper thin and 1inch wide by 6 inches long. If you can lay it down between the charger and his target without touching any other obstacles, you're golden. You may have to get more than one if the characters often have movement speeds higher than 30ft though, but they only cost about a buck for several of them at an office supply store.

This is how it was done before they adopted the grid thing in the 3.5 update.

KillianHawkeye
2012-08-08, 05:03 AM
You realize that grid doesn't actually exist within the world of the game, right? :smallconfused:

gartius
2012-08-08, 05:17 AM
You realize that grid doesn't actually exist within the world of the game, right?

Rich disagrees with you (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0175.html)

KillianHawkeye
2012-08-08, 07:57 AM
Rich disagrees with you (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0175.html)

Thank you for your contribution. Try again next time.
Jokes != Rules

Novawurmson
2012-08-08, 07:58 AM
This came up in a group I play with as well. Good to know the DM ended up ruling correctly.