PDA

View Full Version : Earth Glide, What happens?

Madara
2012-08-07, 03:06 PM
I find earth glide to be my favorite ability, and I love trying to get it for a character in many diffferent ways, one of which is the very nice Earth Dreamer PrC.

Using this ability is a standard action. Each use lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3+ the earth dreamer's Con modifier.

What happens if the duration runs out while you're still inside stone? Do you get shunted to the nearest open area? Do you get trapped? If you do get trapped, and start sufficating, can't you just use the ability again?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-07, 05:25 PM
I find earth glide to be my favorite ability, and I love trying to get it for a character in many diffferent ways, one of which is the very nice Earth Dreamer PrC.

What happens if the duration runs out while you're still inside stone? Do you get shunted to the nearest open area? Do you get trapped? If you do get trapped, and start sufficating, can't you just use the ability again?

You're trapped. You begin to suffocate if you need to breath, and you can use the ability again if you haven't run out of uses.

Two points: the earthglide ability gives you no ability to breath without air, meaning you must hold your breath while it's in use, and it's immensely safer to activate another use of the ability in the round before it expires for a continous duration, rather than two seperate durations.

Madara
2012-08-07, 05:29 PM
You're trapped. You begin to suffocate if you need to breath, and you can use the ability again if you haven't run out of uses.

Two points: the earthglide ability gives you no ability to breath without air, meaning you must hold your breath while it's in use, and it's immensely safer to activate another use of the ability in the round before it expires for a continous duration, rather than two seperate durations.

It doesn't have limited uses, just a limited duration. What if you are an outsider, or undead? If you don't need to breath, does it become infinite use?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-07, 05:31 PM
It doesn't have limited uses, just a limited duration. What if you are an outsider, or undead? If you don't need to breath, does it become infinite use?

Pretty much, yes. It's a nice ability if you don't have to breath. Otherwise it's just magically swimming in dirt instead of water........ actually, it is just magically swimming in dirt.

I guess "earth glide" sounded better than "dirt swim."

Edit: do note that most outsiders do need to breath. They're only bereft of that need if their entry specifically says so. Constructs and elementals on the other hand......

Madara
2012-08-07, 05:37 PM
Pretty much, yes. It's a nice ability if you don't have to breath. Otherwise it's just magically swimming in dirt instead of water........ actually, it is just magically swimming in dirt.

Edit: do note that most outsiders do need to breath. They're only bereft of that need if their entry specifically says so. Constructs and elementals on the other hand......

It varies by entry, but this PrC gives the full Earth glide(Stone, Dirt, rock...ect) which makes it worthwile.

So if I went with Necropolitan or Warforged I could really get the most out of it. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks!

Ketiara
2012-08-08, 02:09 AM

Haha, yea guess it would become a vanity issue wether you wanted to use the ability. Eww sounds disgusting I don't want my heroess to do that.