PDA

View Full Version : Portals and Gates

ShadowFireLance
2012-08-07, 04:51 PM
Now, im not sure on this but is there any way to create a permant Gate (or such) To anthor plane?

And if that is workable, How would that affect a Time stream?
Time on Prime Material Plane works a lot faster: 1 Day on Prime = 100 Days on Other planes.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-07, 05:11 PM
Well, there's this little nugget from the FRCS:

Any character of at least 17th level can build a portal if she knows the Create Portal feat and either the teleportation circle or gate spell. The portal can lead to any locale the builder has personally visited at least once. The portal fails if the builder chooses a destination that cannot safely hold her (such as inside a solid object or into thin air). The portal also fails if the destination is a locale where astral travel is blocked (see the teleport spell description).

Igneel
2012-08-07, 05:32 PM
In epic play, assuming you have the time/money/resources, I like to snag a set of Gate Keys (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#gateKey) largely as 60 pairs of portals from this item is a heck of a lot cheaper then the cost of 60 pairs of portals from sources like Stronghold Builders for example.

Eldan
2012-08-07, 05:45 PM
Is going through Sigil not an option?

ShadowFireLance
2012-08-07, 06:11 PM
Now that those work, eldan: Nope as below:

And if that is workable, How would that affect a Time stream?
Time on Prime Material Plane works a lot faster: 1 Day on Prime = 100 Days on Other planes.

How would a Portal work?

rweird
2012-08-07, 09:59 PM
Then if you go through the portal on the prime, you'd wait 10 minutes before you have a chance to go back through, and if you go through from where ever it is linked to, if you return in 10 minutes, only 1 round has passed there and you'll hardly be missed. When you go through the portal, you either end up in superspeed time or superslow time, going through the portal takes no time. I don't see what your question is.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-07, 10:09 PM
Then if you go through the portal on the prime, you'd wait 10 minutes before you have a chance to go back through, and if you go through from where ever it is linked to, if you return in 10 minutes, only 1 round has passed there and you'll hardly be missed. When you go through the portal, you either end up in superspeed time or superslow time, going through the portal takes no time. I don't see what your question is.

This.

It might help to read the description for Thelanis (?) in the ECS - it describes it a bit differently.

rweird
2012-08-08, 07:59 AM
This.

It might help to read the description for Thelanis (?) in the ECS - it describes it a bit differently.

I'm pretty sure that it saying it catches up with you when you leave Thelanis means that it is unique in this way. Unless the DM rules this happens other place, I don't see why it would.

Note: I just read about it from this page (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Thelanis) and it may not be correct. I do not own any Eberon books.

Igneel
2012-08-08, 05:03 PM
There should be a spell in one of the Planes books (I want to say Manual of Planes, but I'm afb and can't say) that allows you to surround yourself in a bubble that replicates the planar traits of your home plane while in another. Not sure but that might be of some help.

Urpriest
2012-08-08, 06:13 PM
Regardless, Portals (for which there are similar rules in the Manual of the Planes, in case you want something non setting-specific) transport people through in their entirety. Once you stick any part of yourself through the rest immediately is shunted to the other side. So the time difference would never be relevant.

nyarlathotep
2012-08-08, 07:51 PM
The stronghold builder's guide has the create portal feat. Requires caster level 17.