PDA

View Full Version : Tailing someone - What skills?

yougi
2012-08-07, 11:10 PM
I'm running an adventure with my 3.5 group and they are wondering who, between the rogue/ranger and the bard, would be best suited to follow someone without them noticing. Basically, bringing it down to what skills would I use to determine success or failure.

While I don't know if there is an official way to ref that one, here are some of my ideas:

There are two types of tailing: one where you attempt to not be seen, and one where you try to not be noticed. While one may think they are the same, they are actually very different things: in the first, the tailer hides behind stuff, so that if the tailee turns around, he sees no one; in the latter, the tailer doesn't mind being seen, as long as he looks to be doing other things.

So skill-wise:
Secret method: Hide, Move Silently if a silent place. If in a crowded place, the crowd might react to a guy hiding everywhere though

Social method: ... Bluff, as in you pretend to be doing other things? and... Survival so you don't lose them? However, it only works in a crowd. The denser the crowd, the easier the Bluff check, but also, the harder it is to follow...

Anyone has a better idea on how to do that?

Lonely Tylenol
2012-08-07, 11:13 PM
Complete Adventurer (p. 102) has Hide rules for tailing somebody.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-07, 11:32 PM
Also Urban Tracking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#urbanTracking) from Unearthed Arcana

Ashtagon
2012-08-07, 11:37 PM
Basically, if you're both travelling at walking speeds and in sight of your prey, it's Stealth vs. Perception to avoid being seen, but keeping up is automatic by RAW. This assumes either a decent gaggle of civilians nearby, or plenty of cover.

If the target is running, then use your favourite "chasing" rules.

If you're following a trail on the ground, Survival and the tracking rules.

If you're following rumours in town, Gather Information and the urban tracking rules.

yougi
2012-08-07, 11:37 PM
Complete Adventurer (p. 102) has Hide rules for tailing somebody.

I knew this was somewhere! Went through Cityscape twice, never thought of CAdv! Thank you so much!