PDA

View Full Version : Threads of Death

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-08, 01:09 AM
So I was watching Trinity Blood recently, and one of the antagonist characters used an attack I've occassionaly seen in anime: nearly invisible threads of death/ manipulation.

Is there a way to model this in 3.5? Bonus points if you can do it without being a spellcaster/ manifester. Double bonus points if you don't have to be some obscure race.

No pathfinder please.

AntiTrust
2012-08-08, 01:24 AM
Something close is the ToB Shadow Hand strike called Shadow Garrote and Shadow Noose

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-08, 01:29 AM
Something close is the ToB Shadow Hand strike called Shadow Garrote and Shadow Noose

I'm really looking for something more along the line of actually physical threads.

Augmental
2012-08-08, 01:36 AM
The monk's Quivering Palm ability?

Zaq
2012-08-08, 01:39 AM
Start with the Wu Jen's Scarf line of spells and refluff as necessary?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-08, 01:49 AM
Wow..... I'm thinking this may be harder than I first thought.

My hope is not yet dashed though. Keep 'em coming.

Manly Man
2012-08-08, 02:18 AM
Perhaps, if you don't mind your character being a higher level, have themuse threads made of the hair and sinew of strange and powerful monsters. Maybe have the hair of a succubus enchanted so as to be durable enough for actual use, and have them enchanted with whatever would suit the flavor properly. Others to consider would be from perhaps a marilith, certain kinds of dragons, or whatever sort of fantastic creature would fit the purpose of each particular thread.

Serpentine
2012-08-08, 02:22 AM
Maybe you'd have better luck if you described exactly what it is you mean. As it is, it sounds like skillfully employed fishing line *shrug*

Crasical
2012-08-08, 02:31 AM
Pardon my tropeage, but it seems our good friend wants to replicate this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RazorFloss).

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-08, 03:14 AM
Pardon my tropeage, but it seems our good friend wants to replicate this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RazorFloss).

Bingo. That's exactly what I'm trying to emulate. I'm more interested in how to get the character to be able to successfully wield string than what the string's actually made of.

..........That demon hair thing is an interesting idea though........

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-08, 11:50 AM
Combine the Hand of the Mage (DMG) with a garrote?

Psyren
2012-08-08, 01:27 PM
There's a Razor wire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm#cr1RazorWireacrossHallway) trap in core - some way to use traps as a weapon might let you do this.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-08, 01:34 PM
Naruto d20 has kousen, which is this as a weapon. Since the weapons are compatible with D&D, I'd just use that.

Manly Man
2012-08-08, 02:23 PM
Bingo. That's exactly what I'm trying to emulate. I'm more interested in how to get the character to be able to successfully wield string than what the string's actually made of.

..........That demon hair thing is an interesting idea though........

The demon hair came from reading the Basilisk manga. In the first book, one of the ninjas you see uses the hair of a virgin maiden as his weapon.

Amazo
2012-08-08, 03:08 PM
I'm not going to lie: I read this thread title and clicked expecting there to be something nasty written about other threads on the forum.

Crasical
2012-08-08, 05:28 PM
Razor Net from the dragon compendium, normal nets, whips/spiked chain/kusarigama refluffed?

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-08, 06:40 PM
Razor Net from the dragon compendium, normal nets, whips/spiked chain/kusarigama refluffed?

I'm guessing he wants the mechanical quirks associated with the weapon, such as being practically invisible.

Psyren
2012-08-08, 07:17 PM
I'm not going to lie: I read this thread title and clicked expecting there to be something nasty written about other threads on the forum.

I thought it was going to be about Streamers :smallredface:

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-08, 08:34 PM
I thought it was going to be about Streamers :smallredface:

..................... :confused:

Psyren
2012-08-08, 09:19 PM
..................... :confused:

It's a spell. Summons strings that do craptons of damage.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-08, 09:27 PM
It's a spell. Summons strings that do craptons of damage.

Forgot about that. I thought you were talking about colorful paper string-things that you hang on door-frames and walls before a party. :smallredface:

Incidentally, what I'm looking for is basically a way to make that kind of streamer into a weapon via class-features, magic items, and/ or feats.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-08, 09:34 PM
Forgot about that. I thought you were talking about colorful paper string-things that you hang on door-frames and walls before a party. :smallredface:
For me, it was Tuesday a TV series.
I dunno, just sounds like the name of a TV series.

Incidentally, what I'm looking for is basically a way to make that kind of streamer into a weapon via class-features, magic items, and/ or feats.
Well, Drunken Master uses anything as a weapon.

KoboldCleric
2012-08-08, 10:17 PM
http://akhsmonsters2b.wikispaces.com/file/view/3fates_hercules.jpg/290455249/482x336/3fates_hercules.jpg

I was all ready to plug Fatespinner ...

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-12, 02:24 AM
Since the thread didn't go anywhere I've been plugging away here. I've come to a point where I need confirmation or denial of a certain rule.

If a target is caught in more than one net or lasso or other entagling weapon, do the dex penalties stack? How about the penalties to attacks and checks?

Crasical
2012-08-12, 02:52 AM
Since the thread didn't go anywhere I've been plugging away here. I've come to a point where I need confirmation or denial of a certain rule.

If a target is caught in more than one net or lasso or other entagling weapon, do the dex penalties stack? How about the penalties to attacks and checks?

More than one lasso or net, no. But some will argue that different entanglements will stack, so you can use a net, then a lasso, then a razor net, then so on, and the penalties will stack.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-12, 02:57 AM
More than one lasso or net, no. But some will argue that different entanglements will stack, so you can use a net, then a lasso, then a razor net, then so on, and the penalties will stack.

Not really what I wanted to hear, but it doesn't nuke the idea just yet.

I'll wait and see if anyone disagrees before making a final decision.

When I'm done I'll post my setup for everyone's entertainment.