PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Demon] Neomah, the Makers of Flesh

Xefas
2012-08-08, 01:39 AM
http://i.imgur.com/XG8pw.jpg
The Neomah
The Makers of Flesh, Demons of the First Malfean Circle

Admist the mad clangor and searing heat of Malfeas, the 627th layer of the Abyss, there exist many dozens of varieties of demon found only rarely elsewhere in the planes or, indeed, elsewhere in the Abyss itself. The Neomah are one such species, spiritual offspring of Berengiere, the Weaver of Voices, the Indulgent Soul of Ligier, the Green Sun (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251289).

Physically, the Neomah are blessed with their mother's alien beauty. Both male and female Neomah are slender, graceful, and delicate, completely hairless, and with skin tones ranging from a deep violet to a bright, ethereal amethyst. While the differences in sexual characteristics are obvious to the Neomah themselves, and many of the other androgynous (by Prime standards) Outsiders of the Outer Planes, such distinctions are often beyond most human and demihuman races. This is only exacerbated by the natural shapeshifting power of the demons themselves.

Culturally, Neomah are known for having a quiet, reserved confidence, preferring to listen rather than talk, and to learn rather than teach. Due to their propensity for study, and their supernatural talent at manipulating flesh, they are often found as physicians of some variety, or as some related profession, such as nurse, midwife, or herbalist. The most skilled doctors may perform such miraculous feats as mending bones or purifying cancers with a touch, reversing stillbirths, and artificially creating genetic offspring from genetically incapatible parents (either because both are the same sex, or because one is a dragon and the other is a Pseudonatural Half-Golem Bat Swarm, or something else entirely).

Less common, though still abundant, are the sculptors and geishas (ranging from high-class to the unfortuitously lacking of class, depending on what area of the Demon City one finds one's self). The former apply their flesh-crafting to the brass flesh of Malfeas itself, creating living art to decorate the homes and properties of those wealthy enough to afford them. The latter use their shapeshifting and intuitive psychological manipulations to relax their clients into perhaps briefly forgetting that they live in a perpetual noon-lit hell presided over by a genocidal sun who might end their lives in a nuclear conflagration at any moment.

Very rare are those Neomah who choose a militant path. Among them, all but a few belong to one of two organizations. The Flawless Harrowers are a loosely knit guild of Beguilers that anonymously assassinate, obfuscate, and defame at the behest of any demon willing to meet their price, both run and staffed almost entirely by Neomah. The Students of Brass and Iron aren't unique to any one race of demon, but they have a notable population of Neomah Swordsages, often specializing in the Setting Sun, Broken Blade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122533), or Sanguine Lotus (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=187901) disciplines. The Students are a rigorously disciplined, though philosophically diverse, organization entirely devoted to training themselves to the point where some of their number might one day be considered by the Demon of the Third Malfean Circle, Suntarankal, The Crucible of Brass and Iron, to become one of his illustrious pupils.

Where the Neomah gather, their strange architecture tends to follow. Most of the buildings in the Demon City are constructions of the Demon City itself – each like a single skin cell stacked together to form the body of Malfeas. But a Neomah's skill in crafting flesh allows them to modify and tailor their dwellings, to a degree, without drawing the ire of the city itself (destroying one building – or indeed, several blocks of buildings - may not harm the city, but it may cause Malfeas to itch, and one does not wish to be anywhere nearby when he chooses to scratch said itch). And so, amidst the harshly angular and fortress-like structures, one may occasionally find rows of out-of-place smooth and elegant spires. For those seeking a measure of hospitality (and/or hospitalizing), they are something of a safe harbor in an endless storm.

Example statistics for some Neomah are given below.

Neomah Physician (6th level Expert)
Size/Type: Medium Outsider [Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar]
Hit Dice: 1d8-1 + 6d6-6 (18 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30ft
Armor Class: 10, touch 10, flat-footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+3
Attack: Unarmed Strike +3 (1d3-2) [x2]
Full Attack: Unarmed Strike +3 (1d3-2) [x2]
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Immunity to Electricity and Poison, Resistance 10 to acid, cold, and fire, Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron, Telepathy 100ft, Fleshcrafting, Shapeshifting, Shackled
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +10
Abilities: Str 7, Dex 10, Con 8, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 11
Skills: Appraise +2 (1 rank), Concentration +9 (10 ranks), Diplomacy +10 (10 ranks), Disguise +2 (2 ranks), Heal +22 (10 ranks), Knowledge (Local, The Planes) +11 (10 ranks each), Listen +6 (3 ranks), Profession (Physician) +13 (10 ranks), Search +4 (3 ranks), Spot +6 (3 ranks)
Feats: Skill Focus (Heal), Self-Sufficient, Leadership
Challenge Rating: 4
Alignment: True Neutral

Note: This Neomah's Leadership feat repesents an especially loyal, talented, and ambitious understudy, who has three levels of Expert.

Fleshcrafting (Ex): Neomah may warp flesh with a touch. This grants them a +2 racial bonus on Heal checks, as well as allowing them to always be considered as wielding Masterwork Medical Supplies, granted a further +2 circumstance bonus to Heal checks, and insuring they never take penalties for not having the right tools on hand.

Furthermore, they can do more with the Heal skill than most. A DC 20 Heal check can, with a touch, diagnose whether a patient is suffering from a poison or disease, and exactly what kind of poison or disease at that.

By adding +10 to the DC of a Long-Term Care check, a Neomah may double the typical recovery rate (every hour spent under their care is 2 hours for the purposes of recovering hit points and ability damage). A full +20 may quarter the time. +30 may divide the time by sixteen. An additional +5 increase to the DC on top of any other modifiers allows a Neomah to heal 1 point of Ability Drain for every 4 points of Ability Damage they would heal with Long-Term Care. A Neomah may care for the normal six patients at a time, or the number of ranks in their Heal skill, whichever is higher.

A DC 30 Heal check made on a mother-to-be in labor will pre-emptively prevent the child from carrying any crippling hereditary birth defects (this could be anything from a genetic predisposition for brain cancer, to a lethal peanut allergy – although such things as hereditary baldness or a mild sneeze-inducing allergy are not "crippling" enough to be altered). A DC 30 Heal check made over a stillborn child will return it to life, so long as it has not been dead longer than 1 hour. For every hour afterward, the DC of the Heal check increases by 5.

A complicated 8-hour process involving a DC 30 Heal check allows a Neomah to take the genes of two (or more – or one, in some cases) willing participants, and merge them into an otherwise impossible fetus. The new life must then be implanted into the body of one of the participants. Once inside, it gestates in its own special, temporary organ complex, requiring time to develop somewhere between the normal gestation cycles of the participants' own species. Eventually, the new life is birthed, and the temporary birthing-organs are harmlessly re-assimilated into the host body. A single creature may only host a single of these special children at once. This process may allow the rules of certain inherited templates to be broken, although it cannot create children for purely non-living things, such as Golems or Undead. A failed Heal check means that the child wasn't viable enough to live – and not even a Neomah's fleshcrafting can undo this tragedy (although they may make subsequent additional attempts with new Heal checks to create more children).

Finally, once per person per disease, a Neomah may lay hands on a willing recipient and spend a full minute attempting to completely extract the foreign blight from their patient. They make a Heal check against the DC of the disease and, if successful, erase it from the creature it was infesting.

A Neomah may not fleshcraft their own body, although other Neomah may. When using a Craft skill on a project composed entirely of living or magically preserved flesh, if a Neomah has at least 5 ranks in Heal, they add a +2 synergy bonus to the Craft, and may use their Wisdom modifier in place of their Intelligence modifier for the Craft skill, if it would be higher.

Shapeshifting (Ex): Neomah may manipulate their outwardly appearance, changing their sexual characteristics, height and weight (within the Medium size category), hair, eyes, skin, and other minor physical aspects. When used to create a Disguise, this ability grants a +10 bonus on the Disguise check, and negates any penalty for disguising one's self as a different gender or age category.

Shackled (Ex): Neomah are bound to the Abyss by the power of the old Lawgivers. They cannot use magic to shift themselves to another plane or planar layer, nor can any other demon do so for them. However, they may use static portals or planar rifts for traveling, and the magics of non-demons may call them to other planes as normal.

Neomah Student of Brass and Iron (5th level Swordsage)
Size/Type: Medium Outsider [Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar]
Hit Dice: 6d8+6 (36hp)
Initiative: +9
Armor Class: 21, touch 16, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+2
Attack: Quarterstaff +8 (1d6-1) [x2]
Full Attack: Quaterstaff +8 (1d6-1) [x2]
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Martial Maneuvers
Special Qualities: Immunity to Electricity and Poison, Resistance 10 to acid, cold, and fire, Damage Reduction 5/Cold Iron, Telepathy 100ft, Fleshcrafting, Shapeshifting, Quick to Act +2, Discipline Focus (Insightful Strike: Setting Sun, Weapon Focus: Setting Sun), AC Bonus
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +9
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 10
Skills: Balance +12, Heal +12, Jump +6, Knowledge (Local, The Planes) +10, Martial Lore +10, Sense Motive +12, Tumble +12
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Improved Initiative, Extra Readied Maneuver
Challenge Rating: 6
Alignment: True Neutral

Equipment: +1 Quarterstaff, +1 Chain Shirt

Martial Maneuvers (Ex): Neomah Students know 10 Maneuvers and 3 Stances, and may ready up to 7 Maneuvers at any one time. An example selection of Maneuvers Known might be the following:
Broken Blade: Give the Adept Pause (1st), Give the Adept Harm (3rd), Watch While Unseen (Stance)
Sanguine Lotus: Basic Strength Technique (1st), Burst of Vigor (2nd), Dizzying Touch (2nd), Blood Activation (Stance)
Setting Sun: Mighty Throw (1st), Counter Charge (1st), Baffling Defense (2nd), Step of the Wind (Stance)
Stone Dragon: Stone Bones (1st)
Tiger Claw: Wolf Fang Strike (1st)

Neomah As Player Characters

Unfortunately, demons have a lot of mechanical baggage front-loaded onto them, in the form of energy resistance/immunity, damage reduction, and telepathy that is universal (or nearly so?) among their entire kind. So, to create a playable race with a low starting ECL, I've made those traits scale, creating a little bit of disconnect between the actual monster and the player-character-friendly version. If you cannot suspend your disbelief far enough for that to work for you, then be ready to tack on a couple more points of level adjustment.

Type/Size: Medium Outsider [Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar]. Neomah tend towards Neutrality, but are marked forever as demons, and so carry the Chaotic and Evil subtypes. This allows their unarmed attacks to bypass certain kinds of Damage Reduction, but it also means that they are considered Chaotic and Evil in addition to their normal alignment, whenever an effect would be detrimental to them for that reason (such as a Holy Word spell). Naturally, their home plane is the 627th layer of the Abyss.
Ability Adjustments: +2 Wisdom, -2 Strength. Neomah are thoughtful and perceptive, but they have a lot of difficulty piling on the kind of muscle represented by Strength.
Racial Hit Dice: Neomah have one Outsider hit die. This hit die does not disappear upon them taking their first class level. What? Do you want another level adjustment? Just take your Outsider hit die.
Racial Skills: Balance, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Heal, Knowledge (Any), Perform, Profession, Search, Tumble
Special Qualities: All Neomah have the Fleshcrafting, Shapeshifting, and Shackled qualities, as described under the Neomah Physician statistics above. They also have Telepathy out to 10 feet per character level (max 100ft), and Damage Reduction X/Cold Iron, where X is 0, +1 per 3 character levels (maximum 5).
Resistances: Neomah have Electricity Resistance 5, which increases by 1 per character level until, once it reaches Electricity Resistance 20, it becomes Electricity Immunity. They also have Fire Resistance 5, which increases by 1 per character level (maximum 10). At character level 5, a Neomah gains Cold and Acid Resistance 1, which increases by 1 per character level (maximum 10). A Neomah has a +1 resistance bonus on all saving throws against poison, which increases by an additional +1 per 3 character levels. When this saving throw bonus reaches +6, it becomes a complete Immunity to Poison.
Level Adjustment: +2
Favored Class: Beguiler, Swordsage

Zale
2012-08-08, 09:48 AM
If they have Racial Hit Dice, shouldn't they also have skillpoints and racial skills for it?

Baron Corm
2012-08-08, 01:34 PM
All of their abilities, that I can tell, are quite beneficial to those around them, and your flavor text makes it seem like they try to help people whenever they can. This makes them seem a lot more like Good Outsiders than Evil ones to me. But then I thought, I guess the forces of Evil could use doctors within their ranks as well. Pretty interesting.

Even so, you might want to put in some things about how they practice their skills by carving up dretches in extremely torturous ways. Or how while all of their skills are beneficial, they use no anesthesia, and each use creates Liquid Pain (from the BoVD), which is their motivation for "helping" people.

Eldan
2012-08-08, 01:38 PM
If they only have one racial HD; they should lose it.

Also, I'm just wondering. How do they survive in the Abyss? Not only should most landscapes in the Abyss be immediately lethal to them, given that they have only very small resistances, it is also a wasteland filled with chaotic evil beings, all of which are physically and often also mentally far superior to them in pretty much every way. Why has no one enslaved them all or wiped them all out, especially since they aren't evil themselves? Even the Brass and Iron Student looks can barely stand up to a demonic meat shield.

On top of that, how can a non-evil being survive in the Abyss for any amount of time, on a purely metaphysical standpoint? By Planescape logic, they should either change alignment or shift their entire society into the Outlands pretty soon.

Xefas
2012-08-08, 02:38 PM
If they have Racial Hit Dice, shouldn't they also have skillpoints and racial skills for it?

Ah, thanks. I put in racial skills. They get skillpoints, saving throws, and base attack bonus, proficiencies, etc, as per that of the Outsider type.

All of their abilities, that I can tell, are quite beneficial to those around them, and your flavor text makes it seem like they try to help people whenever they can. This makes them seem a lot more like Good Outsiders than Evil ones to me. But then I thought, I guess the forces of Evil could use doctors within their ranks as well. Pretty interesting.

Even so, you might want to put in some things about how they practice their skills by carving up dretches in extremely torturous ways. Or how while all of their skills are beneficial, they use no anesthesia, and each use creates Liquid Pain (from the BoVD), which is their motivation for "helping" people.

I guess some of them are evil and torture people? Just like some humans do. But they're not the norm. Neither is the norm just going about helping people in need out of the kindness of their heart. They're always going to expect something in return. And I guess one could say they have a streak of amorality, considering they're fine with sewing up the standard heartless and vile demonic denizens of the Abyss for a little coin.

If they only have one racial HD; they should lose it.

Actually, if you check the rules, that's a specific function of the Humanoid type. I just put that their for clarity, because I don't think many people know about that rule.

Also, I'm just wondering. How do they survive in the Abyss? Not only should most landscapes in the Abyss be immediately lethal to them, given that they have only very small resistances...

How do Mariliths survive in the Abyss? They have the same resistances. If you're wondering about the PC-version, I edited it so they start with Fire Resistance 5, so they can at least survive in their home layer at level 1.

...it is also a wasteland filled with chaotic evil beings, all of which are physically and often also mentally far superior to them in pretty much every way. Why has no one enslaved them all or wiped them all out, especially since they aren't evil themselves? Even the Brass and Iron Student looks can barely stand up to a demonic meat shield.

Well, non-Evil doesn't mean weakling doormat. And, one-on-one? Yeah, they're going to get pasted pretty easily. They're likely the least combat-capable species in the Demon City. That's intentional. But they haven't been enslaved or extinctified for the same reason that the non-combatants in the real world haven't been enslaved or murdered to extinction by outsiders. Countries have legions of huge burly dudes in war machines with a vested interest in protecting them. So does the Demon City. Stats for those will come later (but I'm thinking my next project has to be some kind of fluff-hub).

On top of that, how can a non-evil being survive in the Abyss for any amount of time, on a purely metaphysical standpoint? By Planescape logic, they should either change alignment or shift their entire society into the Outlands pretty soon.

If, say, a pantheon of gods damns an Archon to an eternity in the Abyss, does he get a free ride out of there because he's technically a Lawful Good Outsider? I wouldn't think so. They're bound to the Abyss (note the Shackled quality) as part of being grandchildren to the Green Sun (you'll notice his stats also have a Shackled quality which is even more strict). If you somehow freed Malfeas from his crucifixion to the Great Wheel, they'd probably shift to the Outlands, gladly.

Zale
2012-08-08, 02:54 PM

They're from Exalted. Neomah are one of the nicer kinds of Demons.

Though they usually take a price for their services in the form of part of the person's flesh.

Which they use to make freakish chimeric creatures.

Eldan
2012-08-08, 02:57 PM
Well, non-Evil doesn't mean weakling doormat. And, one-on-one? Yeah, they're going to get pasted pretty easily. They're likely the least combat-capable species in the Demon City. That's intentional. But they haven't been enslaved or extinctified for the same reason that the non-combatants in the real world haven't been enslaved or murdered to extinction by outsiders. Countries have legions of huge burly dudes in war machines with a vested interest in protecting them. So does the Demon City. Stats for those will come later (but I'm thinking my next project has to be some kind of fluff-hub).

Well, the real world doesn't usually feature evil outsiders :smalltongue:

That said, if they have protectors, I can see it work.

Xefas
2012-08-08, 03:02 PM
Though they usually take a price for their services in the form of part of the person's flesh.

Well, yes. But I'm certain that the process isn't particularly unpleasant. And who couldn't stand to lose a few pounds, really?

The things they make are only freakish monstrosities from a certain perspective...

Baron Corm
2012-08-08, 05:24 PM
If, say, a pantheon of gods damns an Archon to an eternity in the Abyss, does he get a free ride out of there because he's technically a Lawful Good Outsider? I wouldn't think so. They're bound to the Abyss (note the Shackled quality) as part of being grandchildren to the Green Sun (you'll notice his stats also have a Shackled quality which is even more strict). If you somehow freed Malfeas from his crucifixion to the Great Wheel, they'd probably shift to the Outlands, gladly.

I don't know what a Green Sun is, but in 3.5, if you're a demon, you have the Chaotic and Evil subtypes, and you are always Chaotic and Evil (with a few exceptions for individuals, but not entire races). You are in fact, a manifestation of the concepts of Chaos and Evil.

If you're trying to port this from somewhere into 3.5, and you absolutely don't want them to be Evil, I wouldn't make them demons. I would make them some other kind of Outsider that happens to be bound to the abyss. You can of course ignore all of those rules if you really want, I'm just letting you know how demons are expected to be, unless you say otherwise.

Leliel
2012-08-08, 09:17 PM
I don't know what a Green Sun is, but in 3.5, if you're a demon, you have the Chaotic and Evil subtypes, and you are always Chaotic and Evil (with a few exceptions for individuals, but not entire races). You are in fact, a manifestation of the concepts of Chaos and Evil.

If you're trying to port this from somewhere into 3.5, and you absolutely don't want them to be Evil, I wouldn't make them demons. I would make them some other kind of Outsider that happens to be bound to the abyss. You can of course ignore all of those rules if you really want, I'm just letting you know how demons are expected to be, unless you say otherwise.

Actually, they're Exalted demons ported to the Abyss.

Exalted demons are, from their perspective, undeserving victims betrayed by the gods. And part of the point of Exalted is that they are both right and wrong.

"Good" and "Evil" are simply words in Exalted. And frankly, many demon races are quite nice. The Aalu for instance, or the anglykae.

Xefas
2012-08-08, 11:01 PM

The Green Sun is in my signature, if you want to have a look. Many of the things in my signature expand on the fluff surrounding the Neomah.

I would make them some other kind of Outsider that happens to be bound to the abyss.

I'm thinking of giving them a subtype, separate from the Tanar'ri, Obyrith, and Loumara types of demons, to show that they're not the same kind of creature.

Baron Corm
2012-08-08, 11:44 PM
The Green Sun is in my signature, if you want to have a look. Many of the things in my signature expand on the fluff surrounding the Neomah.

I shall do that!

I'm thinking of giving them a subtype, separate from the Tanar'ri, Obyrith, and Loumara types of demons, to show that they're not the same kind of creature.

That would work quite well, I think. It also lets you choose your own traits for an easier transition into a player race.

Eldan
2012-08-09, 02:34 AM
I would, however, consider dropping the Evil and Chaotic subtypes. It gets weird if you have them on something that is not actually chaotic evil.

Either that, or add a small helpful sub-section on how this interacts with alignment-specific magic. Because I, at least, wouldn't know off-hand.

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-09, 10:57 AM
I would, however, consider dropping the Evil and Chaotic subtypes. It gets weird if you have them on something that is not actually chaotic evil.

Either that, or add a small helpful sub-section on how this interacts with alignment-specific magic. Because I, at least, wouldn't know off-hand.

It means that regardless of their actual alignment, they're always treated as being both chaotic and evil.

I like 'em, personally, and have no bones about their racial alignment. The only qualifier for 'demon' is 'native to the abyss' - the various wretches native to Pandemonium, for example, are not demons. Keep on keepin' on.

Zale
2012-08-09, 03:27 PM

The same as normal, I would guess.

They are treated as Chaotic and Evil.