PDA

View Full Version : in need of help with building an archer samurai(pathfinder)

Togath
2012-08-08, 02:33 AM
I've been trying out various concept for pathfinder characters recently, and the samurai looked interesting, but I've run into a problem, as I cant find any guides to it(and none for pathfinder archery, other then one for rangers)

So far the build I have is;
Human(plain human, though I could switch to a variant, or a different, somewhat human looking race)
currently I'm making mainly a level 1 build, but was planning to plan out a progression to level 6(so I could use the archer samurai more easily if I do end up being able to join a pathfinder game sometime in the next few months).

I'm currently going with plain samurai, with either the order of the dragon, or the ronin/knight errant orders(I couldn't decide which was better for an archer), and have selected an ostrich (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/ostrich) as the mount. For feats I currently have Rapid Shot and Deadly Aim, but I wasn't sure which to go for after those.
I'm also having some trouble selecting stats, as samurai need con, dex, cha, and maybe str and wis(not 100% sure if they need str and wis), I'm currently building him with a 15 point buy, as it's the base for pathfinder.
One other thing I had been wondering; would i be at a disadvantage using firearms instead of a longbow on a samurai?

Andvare
2012-08-08, 03:12 AM
Firearms are best left to those that can get more than one shot out per round, which usually means Gunslinger.

Cavalier (Samurai) is not a very good base for an archer, they are built for melee combat. The challenge, a cornerstone of the Cavalier, is melee only.

That being said (and the Ranger guide is still relevant, lots of good archer info in there), a few good feats are:

Precise Shot.
Manyshot.
Staggering critical. (Way outside of your build level)
Clustered Shots.
And as you are a Cavalier/Samurai, you probably want Mounted Archery as well.
Remember, though, that these feats have pre-reqs.

A good archer read is this thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236271

Togath
2012-08-08, 03:49 AM
So something such as;
1st lvl: rapid shot and point blank shot
3rd lvl: precise shot
6th lvl: clustered shots
9th lvl: deadly aim

or would it be better to just take 1 or 2 archery feats and focus more on using a greatsword, earth breaker, naginata, katana, or spear in order to get the bonus from the challenge ability?

Togath
2012-08-08, 06:23 PM
sorry for doubleposting, but i wanted to ask a question; part of the main reason i wanted to play a samurai was for the mount, but druid looks like it could be easier to make, is it feasible to play a pathfinder druid weak enough to not overshadow tier 3s?

Andvare
2012-08-08, 08:37 PM
So something such as;
1st lvl: rapid shot and point blank shot
3rd lvl: precise shot
6th lvl: clustered shots
9th lvl: deadly aim

or would it be better to just take 1 or 2 archery feats and focus more on using a greatsword, earth breaker, naginata, katana, or spear in order to get the bonus from the challenge ability?

You get a feat at level 5 and 7 as well. The feat at level 6 is a bonus feat from Cavalier (combat feat).
And I would probably prioritize Manyshot (it is an extra arrow at your highest BAB, at no penalty, just more damage), and Clustered Shots is needed, but does take a backseat to Deadly Aim IMHO.

Oh, and you should use the Order of the Warrior instead of Ronin, far better archers.

sorry for doubleposting, but i wanted to ask a question; part of the main reason i wanted to play a samurai was for the mount, but druid looks like it could be easier to make, is it feasible to play a pathfinder druid weak enough to not overshadow tier 3s?

Yes, druids have been hit with the nerf-gun in Pathfinder. They are still tier 1, but can't do everything as easily as they could in 3.5
They are, however, an even worse class for a primary archer, as there are no Wisdom based archery feat in Pathfinder. To do this, you have to take 3 levels of monk (zen archer archetype). That is, however, a very strong archer class, and also flavoured "east Asia".

If you want an archer with a mount, I would go with a ranger with mounted combat fighting style, take the Boon Companion feat, so that your companion is as useful as a druids, use the Sable Company Marine, which means you get a Hippogrif as a companion. A flying companion, from level 1 or 4, depending on how you read their ability.
Alternatively, you could go without the archetype, and take a Roc as a companion, that could mean a flying mount from level 7.
Do remember that you almost have to have several mounted archer feat to make it useful, Mounted Combat - Mounted Archery - Trick Riding - Mounted Skirmisher. That last feat means you can full attack and move your mount, pretty essential for mounted archery, and it only comes online at level 10 with the ranger (or level 14! without). However, come level 10, you are quite deadly.

If you want an archer that is mobile, then the monk/zen archer is a good choice. It is a quite good archer class, with the mobility of a monk. (I never thought I would advise someone to go monk, outside of pure fluff, but Paizo have made several of the monk archetypes quite viable.)

Togath
2012-08-08, 08:49 PM
I'll probably try zen archer then(I hadn't realised it was changed from a feat to a class in the 3.5 to pathfidner transition), as a mobile eastern themed archer sounds fun, even without a pet or mount, and I can always ask when i enter a campaign if the gm will allow me to take that 3.5 feat that grants an animal companion

Andvare
2012-08-08, 09:14 PM
I'll probably try zen archer then(I hadn't realised it was changed from a feat to a class in the 3.5 to pathfidner transition), as a mobile eastern themed archer sounds fun, even without a pet or mount, and I can always ask when i enter a campaign if the gm will allow me to take that 3.5 feat that grants an animal companion

That is in Pathfinder, though it requires two feats now.

It's called Eldrich Heritage (and requires Skill Focus (KN: Nature):

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/eldritch-heritage

And then use this bloodline:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/wildblooded/sylvan

However, you might want to take the Boon Animal, as your effective druid level would be your level -5.

A Zen Archer guide:

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2858.0

Also look at the Quinggong archetype. It lets you switch several monk abilities for other abilities and/or spells as spell like abilities:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/qinggong-monk

It has some nice abilities, like gaseous form at level 7.

BTW, one way to get the effect of mounted combat, is to use the Strix race. They have a fly speed of 60.

Togath
2012-08-08, 09:58 PM
Aye, i've looked at the strix, but had been planning to go human for the feat(though with zen archer i can probably go strix, it's one of my favorite pathfinder races)
edit: would it be worth dipping a level in another class(either while leveling, or as my 20th level) in order to avoid the monk capstone?(such as synthesist summoner, or a level in fighter for a bonus feat)

Andvare
2012-08-09, 01:59 AM
Aye, i've looked at the strix, but had been planning to go human for the feat(though with zen archer i can probably go strix, it's one of my favorite pathfinder races)
edit: would it be worth dipping a level in another class(either while leveling, or as my 20th level) in order to avoid the monk capstone?(such as synthesist summoner, or a level in fighter for a bonus feat)

Certainly (not synthesist though, I'm not sure you can use multiple bows at the same time). I would go to Zen Archer 11, to be able to ignore total cover and total concealment, or Zen Archer 16, to get the final flurry shot.
Paladin/Divine Hunter gives you Divine Bond, so you can make your bow more awesome, and Smite Evil is nice, bypassing DR and extra damage.
Up to 5 levels of Fighter/Archer is also decent, disarm on ranged attacks is great, though your CDB might not be up to the task.