PDA

View Full Version : Orc warlord

Gwendol
2012-08-08, 03:53 AM
I'm setting my players up to romp through the Forge of Fury next, and have planned to switch out the ogre "Ulfe" to an Orog (orc) barbarian.

The party consists of a monk (drunken master), druid, cleric (goldeneye), beguiler/fighter, and sorcerer/fighter and they're levels 5-7 (average 5)

Since the party level is significantly higher than what the module is designed for I need to up the challenge here.

My thoughts are:
Lion spirit totem barbarian 9
Abilities: Elite array
Feats: PA, Imp bull rush, headlong rush, shock trooper

Armed with a 2-hander (Falchion or Greataxe)

I wanted to give him some way of demoralizing opponents (he's got high CHA) but haven't really found anything worthwhile as dreadful wrath can't be taken by orcs.
Would it be worthwhile mixing in some levels of dungeoncrasher fighter perhaps? I want to keep Imp uncanny dodge, but the barb class features above that are less interesting to me.

Malak'ai
2012-08-08, 04:01 AM
How about Intimidating Rage?

Gwendol
2012-08-08, 04:21 AM
Not that impressive, but it could work. It's a pity it is single target.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-08, 04:29 AM
Dragon Totem Barbarian (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#dragonTotemClassFeatur es).
The feat Frightful Presence on Draconomicon page 106.
The Fearsome armor property plus the feat Imperious Command in Drow of the Underdark, along with the Never Outnumbered skill trick in Complete Scoundrel.
The Intimidating Strike feat in PH2 (not recommended).

Other things to consider:
Streetfighter ACF (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a), especially with a Falchion and maybe even Improved Crit.
Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ), especially with Lion Spirit.
Wolf Totem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wolfTotemClassFeatures ), which is compatible with Lion Spirit, and Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) which gives him an extra attack due to Improved Trip.

I'd make him a Barbarian 9 with the Wolf Totem variant, Lion Spirit ACF instead of Fast Movement, Streetfighter instead of DR 1/-, and Whirling Frenzy instead of standard Rage. Feats should be Power Attack (1), Improved Trip (B), Knock-Down (3), Track (B), Leap Attack (6), and Frightful Presence (9), plus the Quick trait (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#quick). He should also have Extend Rage twice and Menacing Demeanor via the Otyugh Hole detailed in Complete Scoundrel.

Items should be Armbands of Might (MIC), +1 Falchion with a Lesser Crystal of Lifedrinking (MIC), Oil of Keen Edge x3, +1 Breastplate, and misc mundane gear. He should always Power Attack for -2 to hit for +6 damage, which increases to +12 with Leap Attack. I always give opponents three times as many expendable items as they're expected to use against PCs, that way it's easy to explain why he wasn't saving his last one for a more difficult fight and it's fair in terms of loot.

Gwendol
2012-08-08, 05:46 AM
Thanks Biff, that's really what I was looking for!
I see you pick leap attack over headlong rush, why? Headlong rush to me looks superior in that (all) damage is doubled. Other than that it seems spot on. I might still opt to take two levels of dungeoncrasher fighter (Imp bull rush as 1st level bonus feat) just to give him some variety, rather than the streetfighter ACF.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-08, 06:12 AM
I always forget about Headlong Rush, though in the past I've seen its "instead of a charge" wording ruled that it can't be combined with Pounce or any other charge-specific abilities.

Gwendol
2012-08-08, 06:16 AM
Well, being the DM does have some perks after all :smallbiggrin:

Runestar
2012-08-08, 07:23 AM
I would discourage the use of shock trooper by an npc unless everyone is fine with the risk of getting one-shotted. Warblade or crusader seems like a pretty good alternative.

If you really want the fear effect, consider reading the fear handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809.0), but it seems most of your fear abilities will have to come in the form of magic gear.

Gwendol
2012-08-08, 07:26 AM
Shock trooper is out, but that will not diminish the threat by much. Orog's have +2 LA so we're looking at a CR11 enounter.

Frightful presence will be enough for fear, possibly using some fear-related armor.

Runestar
2012-08-08, 08:12 AM
Shock trooper is out, but that will not diminish the threat by much. Orog's have +2 LA so we're looking at a CR11 enounter.

Frightful presence will be enough for fear, possibly using some fear-related armor.

On paper. Classed npcs are notoriously weak for their cr. Put an orog fighter9 (cr11) alongside a hill giant (cr7) and you find that their stats aren't really so different.

Their +2 cr also seems suspect, considering that for the same deal, I can use a stronger base creature like a bugbear, mineral warrior or feral.

Also, given their poor will saves, it is not that hard for the beguiler to disable the orog via spells like deep slumber.

Which is why I personally recommend warblade. Moment of precise mind lets them pretty much negate the first will-save based effect thrown their way, while strike maneuvers help keep combat fun and engaging (because he can move and still attack for decent damage).

Gwendol
2012-08-08, 08:48 AM
They have some elemental resistances, and good ability bonuses which drive up the LA, and yes, the will save is a liability, but OTOH the beguiler is a fighter/beguiler 3/3 and so hasn't access to very potent spells. I expect him to try and use illusions if he can; barring that the chieftan may well cause a TPK.

I'm expecting him to put some fear into the hearts of part of the crew, and quite possibly dropping one or two of them into negatives before going down. There will likely be some lieutenants and mooks around to provide distractions.

The Boz
2012-08-08, 09:01 AM
What level are your full BAB/martial characters? Do they have two attacks per round without dualwielding?
If so, I'd definitely recommend a level 11 BBEG, just so he doesn't get mauled by the action economy that bad.

Gwendol
2012-08-08, 09:06 AM
None of them have iteratives and none are full BAB characters. The druid is without a doubt the most powerful of the lot, and is level 5.

The orc is a leader of one of the clans they have to face (the least powerful, actually).

Runestar
2012-08-08, 10:51 AM
They have some elemental resistances, and good ability bonuses which drive up the LA, and yes, the will save is a liability, but OTOH the beguiler is a fighter/beguiler 3/3 and so hasn't access to very potent spells. I expect him to try and use illusions if he can; barring that the chieftan may well cause a TPK.

I'm expecting him to put some fear into the hearts of part of the crew, and quite possibly dropping one or two of them into negatives before going down. There will likely be some lieutenants and mooks around to provide distractions.

Let's see:
Orog fighter9:
Str22 (base15, +6racial, +1stat)
Dex:10 (base12, -2racial)
Con: 14
Int: 10
Wis: 6 (base8, -2racial)
Cha: 16
Attack: +18/+13 (+9bab, +6str, +3feat), 2d6+13 (greatsword)
Hp: 68 (9d10+18), fort:8/reflex:+3/will+5, AC 22 (base10, +1fullplate, +2NA)
Feats: weapon focus, weapon spec, melee weapon mastery, endurance, steadfast determination, 4 feats to play around with.

Hill giant: 102hp, +16/+11, 3d6+10 (large greatsword), AC22 (replace hide with breastplate).

So would you rather face an orog fighter or 4 hill giants? :smallamused:

Gwendol
2012-08-08, 11:25 AM
Your question is somewhat irrelevant, since I want them to face an orc warlord, but at least compare the hill giant with the proposed build which is:

I'd make him a Barbarian 9 with the Wolf Totem variant, Lion Spirit ACF instead of Fast Movement, Streetfighter instead of DR 1/-, and Whirling Frenzy instead of standard Rage. Feats should be Power Attack (1), Improved Trip (B), Knock-Down (3), Track (B), Leap Attack (6), and Frightful Presence (9), plus the Quick trait. He should also have Extend Rage twice and Menacing Demeanor via the Otyugh Hole detailed in Complete Scoundrel.

Items should be Armbands of Might (MIC), +1 Falchion with a Lesser Crystal of Lifedrinking (MIC), Oil of Keen Edge x3, +1 Breastplate, and misc mundane gear. He should always Power Attack for -2 to hit for +6 damage, which increases to +12 with Leap Attack. I always give opponents three times as many expendable items as they're expected to use against PCs, that way it's easy to explain why he wasn't saving his last one for a more difficult fight and it's fair in terms of loot.

The only change being to switch leap attack for headlong rush (doubles charge damage), and possibly taking two level of dungeoncrasher fighter at levels 8 and 9.
Whirling frenzy will yield STR 26
Falchion +1 +16/16/11, damage 2d4+13 crit 14-20x2 (with oil applied+streetfighter ACF)

Now taking -2 PA the damage goes up 2d4+19. Charging the orc offsets the PA, and doubles the damage 4d4+38, per hit.

Sheogoroth
2012-08-08, 11:33 AM
You could give him the Proto template, the frenzied berserker prestige class, and monkey grip/multiweapon fighting with two great-axes.

Gwendol
2012-08-08, 11:38 AM
Well, I'm interested in giving the team a moderate challenge here, not wipe them out. As is, the chieftan only needs the one charge to fairly reliably bring at least one PC to negative (or dangerously close) which is pretty much what I'm going for. The FB doesn't make much sense for a warband leader.

Slipperychicken
2012-08-08, 04:39 PM
You could let him use that one variant in Masters of the Wild, which allows a character to use Str instead of Cha for Intimidate, provided he makes a display of strength (like breaking things, or flexing).

grarrrg
2012-08-08, 05:51 PM
I WAS LIED TO!

I came here for an Orc Warlord (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030301a), not an Orc, that happens to be a lord of war.

False advertising I say!

Gwendol
2012-08-08, 11:43 PM
I'll certainly consider using STR over CHA for intimidation. As for the Warlord PrC, I'm planning to build one for later.

Slipperychicken
2012-08-09, 12:57 AM
I'll certainly consider using STR over CHA for intimidation. As for the Warlord PrC, I'm planning to build one for later.

Yeah, it makes me die a little on the inside to think that a raging 12'6'' giant robot is less intimidating than a pencil-necked jackass with a lute.

Gwendol
2012-08-09, 01:25 AM
Yeah, it makes me die a little on the inside to think that a raging 12'6'' giant robot is less intimidating than a pencil-necked jackass with a lute.

ROTFL! (playing a jackass ATM)