PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help with Blaster Wizard/Homstuck Campaign

Snowbluff
2012-08-08, 11:57 AM
So my bro Sjlver and I have been working on Homestuck campaign setting, and he's going to be running a game with some of our friends. Most thing are working out fine. We have aspects mostly figured out, and are using Strife Specibi for weapon proficiencies, etc.

Now here's the part I want some help with.

My build:

Name: Aquila DeVita (would be perfect if I was a troll)
Title: Mage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY9mF06ZVFI) of Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gU_54ibyKM) (class is based on my character, aspect was rolled)
Sylladex: mIrAcLeS (Dammit, I rolled Array first, but Sjlver made me reroll)
Strife Specibus: Wandkind (This should let me use my wands without frakking around with my dumb sylladex)
Sign: Scorpio (Uses our real signs)
Lusus: Phoenix
Heirloom: Scarf (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJB8f1VKcrU)

A young man who grew up with his bro, practicing black magic and the arcane. Has a thing for Wizards and Horrorterrors.

Wizard (Arcane Domain: Fire)4/Warlock1/Eldritch Theurge10
Feats: Elemental Theurgy (My [Fire] Spells CL is now Wizard CL + Warlock CL), Searing Spell (Might become obsolete later)

possibly capping off with Legacy Champ.

possibly picking up Snowcasting (Make a spell [Cold]) and Energy Substitution: Fire (Make a [Cold] Spell [Fire] to gain my CL bonus), and eschew materials (Miracle Modus is a pain, plus might allow me to skip the move action on Snowcasting),

Pretty much Incantatrix is straight up banned, as is metaphysical spellshaper. I was always interested in Eldritch Theurge, so I figured a way to use it by abusing the CL.

ET lets me combine my Eldritch Blasts and AoE spells, My essences (Vitriolic Blast and Hellrime Blast are entering this list) with my touch spells, and my EB with my melee touch spells eventually.

So, does anyone know of any other good tricks I should pick up, or anything I should do that would work thematically with my character?

eggs
2012-08-08, 12:33 PM
If "Life" is supposed to be the theme, I'd play up the necromancy aspect and consider shifting the elemental focus to Cold (it would save a feat to pull the Elemental Theurgy trick together, and could work nicely with necromancy for a nifty Lord of the Uttercold build).

And on Snowcasting+Elemental Theurgy, it's a cool trick, but Snowcasting tricks often need Eschew Materials as a feat tax when used in real games (snow's sometimes a bit difficult to justify having in a spell component pouch).

Snowbluff
2012-08-08, 01:02 PM
If "Life" is supposed to be the theme, I'd play up the necromancy aspect and consider shifting the elemental focus to Cold (it would save a feat to pull the Elemental Theurgy trick together, and could work nicely with necromancy for a nifty Lord of the Uttercold build).

Unfortunately, Cold isn't an option for Elemental Theurgy. :smallfrown:

I like the idea of playing up the often ironic role heroes play in Homestuck (a la Eridan, that insufferable prick). I think I'll pick up plenty of Undead based spells. Lord of the Uttercold would just be a stylistic stroke of awesome.

Btw, is their a feat to allow my spells to get around Cold Immunity, like Searing Spell, or will Uttercold suffice?

And on Snowcasting+Elemental Theurgy, it's a cool trick, but Snowcasting tricks often need Eschew Materials as a feat tax when used in real games (snow's sometimes a bit difficult to justify having in a spell component pouch).

Well... I was thinking about taking Eschew Materials anyway. It'd be funny to accidentally pull out the wrong spell due to my mIrAcLeS modus, but that would end up sucking a whole lot.

eggs
2012-08-08, 01:09 PM
Unfortunately, Cold isn't an option for Elemental Theurgy. :smallfrown:

/actually digs up the feat for reference

Dang. That makes sense then.

Piercing Cold from Frostburn works pretty similarly to Searing Spell, but it's not selective about which targets it applies to, which might make it tricky with the Minionmancy+Uttercold combo.

Snowbluff
2012-08-08, 01:32 PM
/actually digs up the feat for reference

Dang. That makes sense then.

Piercing Cold from Frostburn works pretty similarly to Searing Spell, but it's not selective about which targets it applies to, which might make it tricky with the Minionmancy+Uttercold combo.

I'll talk to my DM, as I am sure Cold Domain didn't come out until after Elemental Theurgy .

I could prepare Uttercold and Piercing on separate spells. Shouldn't be such an issue.

Feralventas
2012-08-08, 02:12 PM
I might be a little fuzzy on the specifics of the feat, but perhaps Southern Magician to treat your arcane spells as divine, pick up a magic item or option to give you Turn Undead or talk to your DM about some alternate resource (sacrificing a spell-slot for example) so that you can qualify for Eldritch Disciple and dip it enough to pick up Gift of the Divine Patron for a Healing Blast in place of an Eldritch Blast. You could probably also use ET's ability to send buffs down-line with it as well.

Edit: Purpose being something to work along the Life aspect, unless that's going to happen as part of the narrative.

lord pringle
2012-08-08, 03:53 PM
This isn't very helpful, but for Homestuck, you should really use a different system. SBURBage Worlds (http://mspaforums.com/showthread.php?45062-SBURBage-Worlds-a-Homestuck-tabletop-RPG-based-on-Savage-Worlds-Ready-for-play!!) works very well. (I'm running a game of it currently.)

Snowbluff
2012-08-08, 04:20 PM
I might be a little fuzzy on the specifics of the feat, but perhaps Southern Magician to treat your arcane spells as divine, pick up a magic item or option to give you Turn Undead or talk to your DM about some alternate resource (sacrificing a spell-slot for example) so that you can qualify for Eldritch Disciple and dip it enough to pick up Gift of the Divine Patron for a Healing Blast in place of an Eldritch Blast. You could probably also use ET's ability to send buffs down-line with it as well.

Edit: Purpose being something to work along the Life aspect, unless that's going to happen as part of the narrative.

That could be nice, but the lost CL would be murder after what I am doing. I like ED personally, and have had played one. Too bad I am planning on mercing my Cha by being a Lesser Tiefling.

I am going the ironic, unhelpful route with my aspect it seems.

This isn't very helpful, but for Homestuck, you should really use a different system. SBURBage Worlds (http://mspaforums.com/showthread.php?45062-SBURBage-Worlds-a-Homestuck-tabletop-RPG-based-on-Savage-Worlds-Ready-for-play!!) works very well. (I'm running a game of it currently.)

Sounds nice, but we're kinda married to 3.5 around here. I flipping love it.

Feralventas
2012-08-08, 05:47 PM
While you're welcome to stick to that, since you're using Southern Magician to treat your Arcane spells as Divine, Eldritch Disciple would advance your casting as well as your invocations without spell-loss, and it'd just be the 1-level dip either way, but I digress.

Snowbluff
2012-08-08, 08:06 PM
While you're welcome to stick to that, since you're using Southern Magician to treat your Arcane spells as Divine, Eldritch Disciple would advance your casting as well as your invocations without spell-loss, and it'd just be the 1-level dip either way, but I digress.

Well, if I get what you are saying here, I'll have to point out that Wizard doesn't become a Divine Spellcasting Class (which is defined in the Spellcasting Class features of each class).

Feralventas
2012-08-08, 08:10 PM
On the vein of arcane healing to run with the Life aspect, Spellfire Channeler from Magic of Faerun lets you ready an action to absorb a spell as a rod of absorption. You keep track of the spell levels gained as a resource and can spend them for a long range blast or a touch range healing effect.

Edit: my mistake on the earlier ED bit then.

Snowbluff
2012-08-09, 02:55 PM
On the vein of arcane healing to run with the Life aspect, Spellfire Channeler from Magic of Faerun lets you ready an action to absorb a spell as a rod of absorption. You keep track of the spell levels gained as a resource and can spend them for a long range blast or a touch range healing effect.

Edit: my mistake on the earlier ED bit then.

That sounds interesting. I'll have to take a look at it. Faerun might not be allowed, though.