PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics for de-buffing caster features

darni
2012-08-08, 12:36 PM
While reading some of the recent threads about casters vs-noncasters, I cropped up with an idea that I'd like to run through the playground. (Disclaimer: this is not an attempt to add balance or to change the tier system or fix anything, just a few mechanics that I'd like to brainstorm about.)

My reasoning is the following: for all of the game variables that influence a non-caster performance (AC, attack bonus, available actions, movement amount and rates, etc.) there are multiple effects (by effects I mean the effect of a Feat, class feature, spell, etc) able to decrease their power. On the other hand, caster features have nothing to stop them. Yes, there are way to stop spells (the typical being Dispell, AMF, Disjunction, maybe Globe of Invulnerability and the like) but most of them stop the spells, rather than impairing the caster. Also, AMF and Disjunction are very "all of nothing".

From what I see, the main variables that "power" a caster are:

Spell slots
Spells known
Caster Level
(did I miss any?)

A "de-buff" effect in this context would be any effect degrading any of the three variables. I can't think of any examples, other than outright killing/disabling the caster or reactive responses to caster actions (distracting the caster while she's casting, which deprives her of a spell slot)

So my questions around this are many:

Do you know any effects in the books like the one I mention?
How do you think it would impact the game adding this kind of stuff?
If your answer to the previous two are "NO/NICELY", can you think of some example cool effects (homebrew of course)?

mattie_p
2012-08-08, 01:01 PM
Enervation/Energy Drain come to mind immediately, plus Level Drain or any way to inflict negative levels. Lose slots that way.

Spell thief mechanics work there as well to steal spell slots.

I'm sure there are others, brain isn't working well at all today.

EDIT: disjoin, sunder, or steal stat boosters. That'll hurt. I think someone did that to me today.

darni
2012-08-08, 06:10 PM
Enervation/Energy Drain come to mind immediately, plus Level Drain or any way to inflict negative levels. Lose slots that way.

Spell thief mechanics work there as well to steal spell slots.

I'm sure there are others, brain isn't working well at all today.

EDIT: disjoin, sunder, or steal stat boosters. That'll hurt. I think someone did that to me today.

Enervation/Level drain are again indirect (not targeting magic, but any player). They are good, and they help stop casters, but are not targeted for that. Same with sunder or stealing items.

I have forgotten about spell thief (never seen one played). That's exactly the kind of things I was thinking on. Also Magic Miasma from SC. I'd love more stuff like that, preferably lower level (I'm thinking stuff like a Feat to trade a sneak attack to make a caster lose some slot)

I'd like to find stuff about making a caster forget temporarily a known spell, or a weaker kind of AMF that just reduces the effect (CL and DC) of spells in that area.

Dragonborn
2012-08-08, 06:54 PM
There's Thieving Mindlink (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindlinkThieving.htm) for psionics, it could probably be adapted for spells.