PDA

View Full Version : [PF] ANy good PrC's for Archers?

CreganTur
2012-08-08, 01:13 PM
We're running 3.P, so almost any source is good for this.

Our Ranger is playing as an archer, and he's doing a really fine job of it. With Manyshot and Deadly Aim he's doing a lot of damage.

Currently he's level 8 and is looking for a PrC that will make him even deadlier as an archer. Deep Woods Sniper is the only option I can think of, and it's not a bad option, but I was wondering if there was anything better.

Fenryr
2012-08-08, 04:10 PM
A good suggestion made before (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5725251&postcount=3).

What's your friend's goal? Only archery? No versatilty, spells, something special we must know?

Hylas
2012-08-08, 04:52 PM
Arcane archer is good. Just take a dip into sorcerer or wizard (or bard, if you're feeling saucy). You'll get some arcane casting to improve versatility (there's no problem that can't be solved with liberal application of ghost sound and prestidigitation) and being able to shoot through walls, around corners, and enchanting your arrows for free is nice.

Who wouldn't like holy flaming burst arrows on top of their bow's standard enchants?

Peat
2012-08-08, 04:54 PM
I'm going to guess he's not wild about the idea of dipping a level of Wizard and becoming a mighty Arcane Archer? It's the only good one from Paizo for PF (and the 3.5 options have been covered) - would point out that they're about to release a bunch of new PrCs for Pathfinder though, so there might be something of use in there.

Corlindale
2012-08-08, 05:26 PM
Frankly, I think staying ranger is the best option in PF. Max out your favored enemy bonus, grab the Instant Enemy spell at level 10, buy a sack of 3rd level pearls of power and now every single (big) enemy is a favored enemy.

If he likes the fluff of Arcane Archer, or thinks its powers/spells would be cool to have he could look into it, but if all he wants it a more deadly archer I think pure ranger is usually preferable.

AA doesn't get really nice until level 9 with free Holy arrows, and that's quite a while to wait. Imbue arrow is also decent, but it works better for arcane caster builds with a touch of archer, rather than the other way around.

Ailowynn
2012-08-08, 06:40 PM
Yeah, i'd say either stay in Ranger or maybe multiclass into Fighter if not interested in favored enemy, spells, favored terrain, etc. In fact, I think there's a Fighter archetype in UC or the APG called "Archer"--just pick up more feats and more bonuses.

Novawurmson
2012-08-08, 07:45 PM
Maybe Zen Archer if he's got a good Wisdom check? It's kinda hard to work into an existing character, though; better to start Zen Archer and multiclass from there.

... they're about to release a bunch of new PrCs for Pathfinder though, so there might be something of use in there.

What, really? I thought they did away with prestige classes?

Edit: Well, I'll be (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8thj?Pathfinder-Campaign-Setting-Paths-of-Prestige)...

Akal Saris
2012-08-08, 10:22 PM
If you generally only fight in 1-2 geographic areas (such as only underground and in cities), then Horizon Walker isn't too shabby for a few levels. Probably not as all-around good as Ranger 20 though.

deuxhero
2012-08-08, 11:27 PM
While not something you can do with a Ranger base, Zen Archer+ Empyreal (Seeker) Sorcerer into Arcane Archer is an option.

Edit: In 3.P you could take Zen Archer the feat instead of ZAM, but that is ability score dependent and unlikely to be the case if he hasn't set it up in advance.