PDA

View Full Version : Feats for a diviner

ThatKreacher
2012-08-08, 01:47 PM
So, as the the thread title says, I want one more feat for a diviner of mine. Currently I have Collegiate Wizard, Insightful Divination, spell focus (divination), improved initiative and Magic Sensitive. I'm using all of the UA diviner variants, so improved initiative was my 5th level bonus feat. I'm a 9th level human, with a total of 24 intelligence. I was thinking Spell mastery, but are there any other better choices?

DeusMortuusEst
2012-08-08, 02:04 PM
Spontaneous Divination (can't remember the book) is pretty useful. Are you going straight wizard? Because Divine Oracle is a very nice prc that fits the diviner theme pretty well.

ThatKreacher
2012-08-08, 02:13 PM
Right now, I'mm thinking straight diviner, but if you could tell me which book divine oracle is in, I may consider it.

Zombulian
2012-08-08, 02:28 PM
Right now, I'mm thinking straight diviner, but if you could tell me which book divine oracle is in, I may consider it.

It's in Complete Divine. The prereqs are all Divine casting... but I prefer cleric/archivist to wizard anyway.

Daftendirekt
2012-08-08, 02:58 PM
It's in Complete Divine. The prereqs are all Divine casting... but I prefer cleric/archivist to wizard anyway.

The prereqs don't specify divine casting at all:

Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks, Skill Focus (knowledge [religion]), and ability to cast at least 2 divination spells.

It's definitely got a divine flavor, but arcane casters are totally capable of taking it.

Zombulian
2012-08-08, 05:05 PM
The prereqs don't specify divine casting at all:

Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks, Skill Focus (knowledge [religion]), and ability to cast at least 2 divination spells.

It's definitely got a divine flavor, but arcane casters are totally capable of taking it.

WHOA YOU'RE RIGHT! Weird. It's even in Complete Divine, but they decided that you can advance whatever casting you have... hm.

DeusMortuusEst
2012-08-09, 08:17 AM
Yup, and add to that a nice evasion feature and a really good capstone (never surprised as a wizard basically means "win all the time!") and that's a really nice class.

Slipperychicken
2012-08-09, 09:05 AM
Spontaneous Divination (can't remember the book) is pretty useful. Are you going straight wizard? Because Divine Oracle is a very nice prc that fits the diviner theme pretty well.

If you do get Spontaneous Divination (ACF replaces 5th level bonus feat), there's no reason to prepare Divination spells at all, since you cast them spontaneously. Might as well pick a different specialty or just go Generalist. In the case of Generalist, take Domain Wizard (lose nothing, gain domain slots) if your DM is stupid enough to allow it.

I recommend Uncanny Forethought on any Wizard for the spontaneity, but Divinations often have really long casting times (like Legend Lore taking weeks :smallannoyed:), which you can change to be Full-Round actions, albeit at -2 caster level. BoVD, requires Spell Mastery.

Cieyrin
2012-08-09, 06:15 PM
I recommend Uncanny Forethought on any Wizard for the spontaneity, but Divinations often have really long casting times (like Legend Lore taking weeks :smallannoyed:), which you can change to be Full-Round actions, albeit at -2 caster level. BoVD, requires Spell Mastery.

With Spell Mastery, those spells don't lose CL. It's if you want to access the rest of your list.

Alternatively, you're at the right levels to take advantage of metamagic, like Extend and Empower. Something to consider.