PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Help me design a group of NPCs to fight the PCs

The Troubadour
2012-08-08, 03:41 PM
Hey there, guys! So, my PCs are going to be facing a group of mercenaries who have taken a small village captive. The mercenaries were hired by the village; they convinced the villagers to build a wooden palisade around the village, and then started forcing the villagers to work for them.

The PCs are:
- One Ranger 2 who can freely switch between using a greatsword and firing his longbow;
- One Barbarian 2 with a greataxe;
- One Rogue 2 who switches between a crossbow and a dagger;
- One Cleric 1/Wizard 1.

So, what would be a good group of NPCs to fight them? I want to use a small group of well-trained NPCs, rather than a large number of mooks. I'm thinking:

- One Fighter 3, Archer archetype;
- One Fighter 4, Tactician archetype;
- One Rogue 4, Survivalist and Scout archetypes;
- One Rogue 3, Sniper archetype;
- One Monk 2, Weapon Adept archetype.

So, what do you guys think? Will those NPCs be good opponents for my PCs - not too deadly, but not pushovers either?

rweird
2012-08-08, 08:27 PM
I'm not expert in PF though it seems that you are sending in a group that outnumbers them and is up to twice the PCs level. That sounds rather like a TPK, though it depends on comparative power.

LanternOG
2012-08-09, 04:17 PM
I would say use either the Fighter 4 or the Rogue 4.

For reference the CR of either of those two alone is CR 3 according to the Pathfinder book. Not to say a party of level twos couldn't beat them, but at level two a lucky roll by the enemy can be a death sentence. If you want to add something to combat the action economy problem throwing in the Monk 2 isn't a terrible idea.

The Troubadour
2012-08-09, 05:28 PM
I'm not expert in PF though it seems that you are sending in a group that outnumbers them and is up to twice the PCs level.

Well, their ability scores won't be as good as those of the PCs, and they'll have slightly less HP. But you're right, I probably should reduce their levels by one or two.

I would say use either the Fighter 4 or the Rogue 4. For reference the CR of either of those two alone is CR 3 according to the Pathfinder book.

Yeah, which is one reason I consider the CR system borked. :-)

You know, maybe I should try homebrewing for this one. What I want is for PC-level opponents that deal less damage and have better defenses.

Maybe something like:

- One-handed weapon + shield: alternative Combat Expertise - +1 AC for each -1 damage. Stacks with the regular one.

- Two-weapon fighting: don't add STR bonus to damage for either weapon, gain a +4 bonus to AC. (Similar to that feat for two-handed weapons, Shield of Swings.)

Starbuck_II
2012-08-09, 07:01 PM
Hey there, guys! So, my PCs are going to be facing a group of mercenaries who have taken a small village captive. The mercenaries were hired by the village; they convinced the villagers to build a wooden palisade around the village, and then started forcing the villagers to work for them.

The PCs are:
- One Ranger 2 who can freely switch between using a greatsword and firing his longbow;
- One Barbarian 2 with a greataxe;
- One Rogue 2 who switches between a crossbow and a dagger;
- One Cleric 1/Wizard 1.

So, what would be a good group of NPCs to fight them? I want to use a small group of well-trained NPCs, rather than a large number of mooks. I'm thinking:

- One Fighter 3, Archer archetype;
- One Fighter 4, Tactician archetype;
- One Rogue 4, Survivalist and Scout archetypes;
- One Rogue 3, Sniper archetype;
- One Monk 2, Weapon Adept archetype.

So, what do you guys think? Will those NPCs be good opponents for my PCs - not too deadly, but not pushovers either?

You know you can have kobolds with guns in warrior class and they keep low CR for longer.
Kobold Warrior 6 is only 3. The benefit guns hit touch AC. Give him a damaged Culverin (75% less price). Sure he'll be knocked after every shot, but prone doesn't penalize guns.

The Troubadour
2012-08-10, 10:36 PM
You know you can have kobolds with guns in warrior class and they keep low CR for longer.
Kobold Warrior 6 is only 3. The benefit guns hit touch AC. Give him a damaged Culverin (75% less price). Sure he'll be knocked after every shot, but prone doesn't penalize guns.

No guns in the setting, and I don't want to use non-humans as enemies yet.