PDA

View Full Version : Unseen Seer 3.5

2gig
2012-08-08, 10:02 PM
So, the closest I've ever come to playing D&D is Neverwinter Nights 2. I want to play DnD, but I've played enough fantasy games that I know I'll be very easily bored by playing a pure Fighter/Rogue/Cleric/Sorcerer, despite how much easier that might be on a new player. The non-casting classes generally look boring to me, so I wanted something with casting. I decided on Rogue(1)/Beguiler(4)/Unseen Seer(10) because an illusionist sneak attacker, while not the most original concept, is one I think would be interesting to play, especially in a game as versatile as D&D. There are plenty of interesting caster builds, but this also lets me be somewhat of a skillmonkey, so it's a little less selfish. Also, if you see me making assumptions as if I know what I'm talking about, that's because I read it in a book/guide. TL;DR: I'm a newbie who should probably play a simpler character, but I want to play Unseen Seer.

So, the idea is that I'm going to be a Crossbow Sniper (which is also a feat I'll probably take eventually), who uses Beguiler spells to set up sneak attacks.

For race, I decided to go with a Half-Drow Whisper Gnome. It's a bit more... long winded than most races I've seen, but I think it works beautifully with this class. I've also managed to come up with what I think is a half-decent background so that my character actually makes sense. Sneak attackers want to be small, but Beguilers want to be mobile; Whisper Gnomes get Small-size with Medium-size land speed, perfect. They also get +Dex for -Cha, which will help my sniping, mobility, and hiding. Also, the Mage Hand racial SLA lets me take Arcane Trickster, which I'd do if this character ever makes it to Epic level, though that's not likely.

The main reason I took Half-Drow is to use the Drow ACF to swap trapfinding for Use Poison. Poison use isn't the most powerful technique in the game, but it adds flavor. This is also pretty much the only thing I could do to build a Beguiler Unseen Seer and not double up on trapfinding (since Beguiler gets trapfinding). By RAW, I believe the Drow Rogue ACF is for pure Drows, but I don't think it's such an unreasonable request to make of my DM, especially since my character was raised by Drow (also, guides seem to suggest this as if it were RAW). Perhaps a nice DM would let me swap WF - Gnome Hooked Hammer for Hand Crossbow proficiency. I don't know what advantage the Hand Crossbow would give me over a Heavy Crossbow, besides not having to take Rapid Reload, but the huge damage loss doesn't seem worth one feat to me, so I imagine there must be some other advantage. Also, Half-Drow lets me take a -Str/-Con/-Wis to get +Dex/+Int/+Cha. I think I'll go with -Wis/+Int, since I don't know how low I can afford to drop my Str.

I don't really know how to acquire poison materials or which poisons are particularly good. I imagine the direct damage ones are good (though there are very few). -Dex and -Str could also be helpful. I don't really understand the purpose of -Con poisons other than to reduce fortitude saves against other poisons used later.

A 28-point buy would get me: 6Str/16Dex/16Con/18Int/6Wis/12Cha

Skills: My main priority will be getting the skills I need to take Unseen Seer. Some others are just obvious, like concentration, however, I am having some trouble completely using my skillpoints, especially since I'm assuming that my campaign will start me at level 1, which means I must start with a level in Rogue for my backstory to make sense. If the campaign starts me above level 1, I can take a level of Beguiler first, getting me concentration and spellcraft as class skills, which simplifies things. So my skills are as follows:
For Unseen Seer: Hide, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot
Main Priorities: Concentration, Disable Device, Hide, Move Silently
Low Priority: Craft(Poisons), Bluff
I probably won't take Sense Motive or Spellcraft past the points necessary to get into Unseen Seer. Also, it makes me very sad that Craft isn't a Beguiler/Unseen Seer class skill, because that makes increasing it expensive, which is the only reason I gave it a low priority. Other than what I outlined, I don't really know how to spend my skill points. Bluff is mostly for feint, which I probably won't use anyway. Also, I don't know much of anything about skill tricks, but Conceal Spellcasting should let me get away with all sorts of charm/illusion shenanigans in a social setting without being seen. This skill trick would make Sleight of Hand a high priority skill. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't take open lock because I will get Knock.

As far as feats go, I have a few in mind, some of which are must haves, but not necessarily early game. Practiced Spellcaster will be a must-have once I get Unseen Seer (it corrects the -3 to non-divine spells, as well as my lost CL from taking Rogue). Venomous Strike is pretty much a must-have, but it probably won't be necessary early game because I won't be able to afford to spam poisons and because I won't be encountering many enemies with high fort saves. Craven is a nice damage boost when I have a higher CL. Wild Cohort could be helpful, since it gives me something to extract venom from as well as a distraction in combat. If my DM allows it, at 4th level I could get a dinosaur cohort that would give me a blinding poison, allowing more sneak attacks. Vermin Trainer would be nice, but it requires Handle Animal both to take the feat and make use of it, which isn't a class skill for any of my classes. Point Blank shot is probably a must have, as I need it for rapid shot, but I lose the bonus when I utilize the bonus range from Crossbow Sniper, which is a feat that really fits this character's flavor.

Spells: Detect Magic and Read Magic will be necessary level 0 spells in order to meet the requirements for Unseen Seer. Other than that I don't really know what to take... Color Spray and Mage Armor seem like good choices for level 1. Invisibility and Glitterdust at level 2 seem like good chioces; so does Knock if I don't take open lock. I'm even more lost as to what to take as my Advanced Learning spells, because there are so many choices....

I probably want to start with Sundark goggles in order to counteract my light blindness. Longspoon Masterwork Thieve's Tools would let me disarm a trap from 5-feet away, which is helpful as this build lacks Evasion in case I fail, but 100g might be expensive, especially with my poison-making. Another obvious choice would be some sort of crossbow, probably light or hand. I don't even know how much gold I start with....

So yeah, please just throw suggestions at me. Also, let me know if this is going to be way too weak or something (since I don't really know what I'm doing). Also, this is probably a dumb question but... If I have Rapid Reload and two Hand Crossbows, could I Two-Weapon Fight with them and use Mage Hand to reload the crossbows? That would be both hilarious and highly effective. Also, thanks for even bothering to read all this mess.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-08, 10:28 PM
First off, Half Drow is a different race than Whisper Gnome. Nor are either a template (as far as I know), leaving you with the option of either being a Half-Drow OR a Whisper Gnome - not both. This thread (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7908.0) has a list of everything that you can trade trapfinding out for (for you, I'd probably recommend the Mimic ACF from Exemplars of Evil).

Drow of the Underdark also contains the Master of Poisons feat, which is pretty much Poison Use+, so I'd advise on Whisper Gnome for the race. Rogues already have Hand Crossbow proficiency, by the way.

If poisons are going to be a major part of your build, then this handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0) will prove priceless to you.

Finally, Beguilers just know all spells on their spell list. No need to pick and choose - if it's on your list, you know it, so you automatically qualify for Unseen Seer (at least, in regards to spells).

Greyfeld85
2012-08-08, 10:50 PM
You might consider Deadeye Shot to help trigger your sneak attack.

Also, Hand Crossbow Focus (drow of the underdark) counts as Weapon Focus and grants the effects of Rapid Reload for the hand crossbow. It's basically a 2-in-1 feat if you end up going that way.

As for why you would go hand crossbow, one of the major reasons is because you can TWF them. Since bows don't have a Power Attack equivalent, the best way to get high damage output is increasing your number of attacks and scraping up every point of extra damage you can.

This also means that you should be picking up the Craven feat.

gorfnab
2012-08-08, 10:52 PM
Here is a handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1240) on making a sneak attacking spellcaster. Usually I recommend: Rogue or Spellthief (if using Master Spellthief feat, CS) 1/ Wizard (Spontaneous Divination ACF, CC) 5/ Unseen Seer 10/ Arcane Trickster 4

2gig
2012-08-08, 11:47 PM
First off, Half Drow is a different race than Whisper Gnome. Nor are either a template (as far as I know), leaving you with the option of either being a Half-Drow OR a Whisper Gnome - not both. This thread (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7908.0) has a list of everything that you can trade trapfinding out for (for you, I'd probably recommend the Mimic ACF from Exemplars of Evil).

Drow of the Underdark also contains the Master of Poisons feat, which is pretty much Poison Use+, so I'd advise on Whisper Gnome for the race. Rogues already have Hand Crossbow proficiency, by the way.

If poisons are going to be a major part of your build, then this handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0) will prove priceless to you.

Finally, Beguilers just know all spells on their spell list. No need to pick and choose - if it's on your list, you know it, so you automatically qualify for Unseen Seer (at least, in regards to spells).

Oh, I was basing the half-drow thing off of this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Elves,_Half-Blood_Drow_%283.5e_Template%29). Upon further inspection, I realized that it doesn't cite a book and is probably homebrew. That's the one thing I hate about this wiki... but I can only blame myself, really.

Looks like I'll be going Whisper Gnome and taking the Mimic ACF. Now I'm not so sure if poisons will be a big part of my build, because a Whisper Gnome would be Neutral/Chaotic Good (since he wasn't a half-breed raised by Drow). The other stuff was very helpful too, thanks a bunch.

You might consider Deadeye Shot to help trigger your sneak attack.

Also, Hand Crossbow Focus (drow of the underdark) counts as Weapon Focus and grants the effects of Rapid Reload for the hand crossbow. It's basically a 2-in-1 feat if you end up going that way.

As for why you would go hand crossbow, one of the major reasons is because you can TWF them. Since bows don't have a Power Attack equivalent, the best way to get high damage output is increasing your number of attacks and scraping up every point of extra damage you can.

This also means that you should be picking up the Craven feat.

I'm hoping to avoid taking Deadeye Shot; the goal is to get my sneak attacks from hide and spells. With those feat requirements, I'll have a while to figure out if I need that feat. That hand crossbow feat looks perfect, though. Does it count as Weapon Focus (Hand Crossbow) for requirements, though? I need that for Crossbow sniper... Maybe a DM would let it slide... (Yes it does) Thanks for the info.

Also, how on earth do I reload a crossbow with one in each hand?

Here is a handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1240) on making a sneak attacking spellcaster. Usually I recommend: Rogue or Spellthief (if using Master Spellthief feat, CS) 1/ Wizard (Spontaneous Divination ACF, CC) 5/ Unseen Seer 10/ Arcane Trickster 4

I'm pretty set on a Beguiler though. :-/ I just think it's a really cool class/concept. I'm not trying to optimize/munchkin. Spellthief is nice, but then I get an XP penalty unless I take a second level in it. Plus, that would mean no Hand Crossbow, which I've just learned is very, very good. That guide looks really helpful, though, thanks.

Keld Denar
2012-08-09, 09:30 AM
The primary issue with beguiler on an Arcane Rogue build, is that Beguilers don't have hardly any spells that qualify for delivering SA. They don't get Lesser Orbs, they don't get Scorching Ray or Whirling Blade, they don't get Unicorn Arrows, or any of the Light of X spells, no Enervation, no Orb of X, no good attack spells period. They need some other method of delivering SA (usually a weapon) because there isn't a lot of it in the Beguiler spell list.

Menteith
2012-08-09, 09:44 AM
The primary issue with beguiler on an Arcane Rogue build, is that Beguilers don't have hardly any spells that qualify for delivering SA. They don't get Lesser Orbs, they don't get Scorching Ray or Whirling Blade, they don't get Unicorn Arrows, or any of the Light of X spells, no Enervation, no Orb of X, no good attack spells period. They need some other method of delivering SA (usually a weapon) because there isn't a lot of it in the Beguiler spell list.

Arcane Disciple [Slime Domain] and the Acidic Splatter reserve feat will give you at will Ranged Touch Attacks dealing acid damage which can Sneak Attack, though it's feat heavy. And you'd want Heighten Spell to have a functional range on it.

eggs
2012-08-09, 09:52 AM
Some Unseen Servants are usually an easy answer.

Greyfeld85
2012-08-09, 10:08 AM
I'm hoping to avoid taking Deadeye Shot; the goal is to get my sneak attacks from hide and spells. With those feat requirements, I'll have a while to figure out if I need that feat. That hand crossbow feat looks perfect, though. Does it count as Weapon Focus (Hand Crossbow) for requirements, though? I need that for Crossbow sniper... Maybe a DM would let it slide... (Yes it does) Thanks for the info.

Keep in mind that hiding has to be done as part of a move action, which means that you're going to end up spending alternate turns hiding and shooting. The best course is always to take Greater Invisibility, but in the case that you can't get your hands on that spell, it's best to have multiple other ways to trigger sneak attack, so that you're more flexible and can use your SA in different situations.

Personally, I rather like Invisible Blade for that free-action feint (as a substitute for magic).

That's the rub, isn't it? They're built for the whole "dual-fisted pistols" setup, but then force you to use both hands to load them. I'd ask your DM to waive that part, because it really is a stupid rule.

In all honesty, crossbows are worse than regular bows in almost every situation conceivable. Personally, I'd suggest picking up a composite longbow (if you have a positive strength mod, a regular longbow if you don't), and never looking back.

I'm pretty set on a Beguiler though. :-/ I just think it's a really cool class/concept. I'm not trying to optimize/munchkin. Spellthief is nice, but then I get an XP penalty unless I take a second level in it. Plus, that would mean no Hand Crossbow, which I've just learned is very, very good. That guide looks really helpful, though, thanks.

The issue here, I think, is that you can effectively make an "illusionist/enchanter" just as easily through the Wizard class. With 4 levels in Beguiler, the only class feature you'll be picking up that's worth anything is Cloaked Casting, and even that's questionable since you'll probably be attacking when your enemy is denied his dex to AC, rather than casting a spell.

Wizards use the same casting stat, so you'd still be going on INT, you'll be getting your spells a level earlier (Wizard gains new spells levels on odd levels, while Beguiler is set up like the Sorcerer), you get a familiar (or can trade that familiar away for an ACF), and you pick up Scribe Scroll as a free feat.

Honestly, with your build, the only benefit of taking Beguiler is more skill points.

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to tell you what to play. Beguiler is a solid class, and it'll work well in your build. I'm simply pointing out that, mechanically-speaking, Wizard is a better fit for your setup, and grants you more options in spell selection.

Darrin
2012-08-09, 12:10 PM
Keep in mind that hiding has to be done as part of a move action, which means that you're going to end up spending alternate turns hiding and shooting.

No. Hiding piggybacks on some other type of action, generally movement, but it doesn't have to be a move action. You could take a 5' step and still combine that with hiding.

Personally, I rather like Invisible Blade for that free-action feint (as a substitute for magic).

Better check the errata on that...

In all honesty, crossbows are worse than regular bows in almost every situation conceivable.

Not when you're trying to sneak attack beyond 30'.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-09, 12:24 PM
In all honesty, crossbows are worse than regular bows in almost every situation conceivable. Personally, I'd suggest picking up a composite longbow (if you have a positive strength mod, a regular longbow if you don't), and never looking back.

There's a few situations in which crossbows can be better than bows; lack of proficiency (no longbow), ability to dual wield to boost damage by not an insignificant amount, etc...

The issue here, I think, is that you can effectively make an "illusionist/enchanter" just as easily through the Wizard class. With 4 levels in Beguiler, the only class feature you'll be picking up that's worth anything is Cloaked Casting, and even that's questionable since you'll probably be attacking when your enemy is denied his dex to AC, rather than casting a spell.

Honestly, with your build, the only benefit of taking Beguiler is more skill points.

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to tell you what to play. Beguiler is a solid class, and it'll work well in your build. I'm simply pointing out that, mechanically-speaking, Wizard is a better fit for your setup, and grants you more options in spell selection.

I'd make the argument that Beguiler is a better fit here.

The OP has stated that he's new to Pen and Paper 3.5e. The Beguiler is a far easier class to use than the wizard (given that you have access to your entire list). There's also the lack of arcane spell failure to consider. There's a lot of useful armor enhancements, and this way he can get them without having to splurge on his armor (via twilight mithral).

2gig
2012-08-09, 08:50 PM

Arcane Disciple [Slime Domain] and the Acidic Splatter reserve feat will give you at will Ranged Touch Attacks dealing acid damage which can Sneak Attack, though it's feat heavy. And you'd want Heighten Spell to have a functional range on it.
That's some good stuff to know, but I don't want to sneak attack with spells anyway. My Beguiler spells get bonuses when the enemy loses Dex bonus and I get sneak attacks with my Crossbow.

Some Unseen Servants are usually an easy answer.
This looks to be exactly what I need. One problem, it's not a Beguiler spell. I guess I could use a Runestaff/scrolls/wands. What kinds of Use Magic Device checks would I need to make, if any? I'm trying to avoid taking UMD, but this would be worth it. Looks like I'm getting UMD. Which kind of item should I use? I imagine wands and especially scrolls would get expensive...

Another concern I have with doing this is that it seems pretty cheese (I hope I'm using that term correctly). With the right feats, I could effectively TWF with Hand Crossbows, getting sneak attacks at up to 45ft. Alternatively, I could TWF Light Crossbows and get sneak attacks at 60ft with even less feats, but I'd have a -2 penalty on all shots fired.

The OP has stated that he's new to Pen and Paper 3.5e. The Beguiler is a far easier class to use than the wizard (given that you have access to your entire list). There's also the lack of arcane spell failure to consider. There's a lot of useful armor enhancements, and this way he can get them without having to splurge on his armor (via twilight mithral).
This times a million. Keeping track of Wizard learned/memorized spells in NWN2 was tough enough, and they had a much smaller pool to pick from, not to mention spells were pretty much combat only.

I was too lazy to quote/reply everyone individually, but you've all been most helpful. Your input is helping shape my build a lot, thanks. I'll be posting an updated build soon, that will include my feats/skills for the first 5 levels at least. Also, I really need to read up on using the Hide skill in combat.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-09, 09:19 PM
This looks to be exactly what I need. One problem, it's not a Beguiler spell. I guess I could use a Runestaff/scrolls/wands. What kinds of Use Magic Device checks would I need to make, if any? I'm trying to avoid taking UMD, but this would be worth it. Looks like I'm getting UMD. Which kind of item should I use? I imagine wands and especially scrolls would get expensive...

If you look in Underdark (Forgotten Realms supplement), there's a wonderous item called an uskura. Used by the Deep Imaskari, it gives you 100 minutes of unseen servant per day. It is, however, quite pricy at 36'000 gp.

2gig
2012-08-09, 09:40 PM
If you look in Underdark (Forgotten Realms supplement), there's a wonderous item called an uskura. Used by the Deep Imaskari, it gives you 100 minutes of unseen servant per day. It is, however, quite pricy at 36'000 gp.

Ouch. I doubt I'll be able to afford that. I'll take the skill-point hit and take UMD. Actually, I've been googling around and there are plenty of good arguments as to why Unseen servant can't reload TWF crossbows. Also, I read about gloves that were either 12k or 20k gp and do allow TWF crossbows, no question. If my DM won't allow the Unseen Servant reload, I could go light crossbow early game, then retrain some feats when i get the gloves (if the DM allows retraining :-/).

Darrin
2012-08-09, 09:44 PM

Collar of Perpetual Attendance (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c). Much, much cheaper... 2000 GP for unseen servant at will. Oh, what havoc that might be wrought... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8235936&postcount=8)

Douglas
2012-08-09, 09:55 PM
I don't really understand the purpose of -Con poisons other than to reduce fortitude saves against other poisons used later.
Constitution affects hit points. Every 2 points of con is 1 hp per hit die. Also, if con reaches 0 you die. If any other ability score reaches 0 you merely become temporarily incapacitated. The con=0 clause isn't very likely to matter, though, because the reduced hp is likely to combine with regular damage to kill the victim before it gets to that point.

Azoth
2012-08-09, 10:04 PM
If you can reverse engineer custom item abilities, there is a heavy crossbow in the A&E that redraws itself. The price for the ability is about 10k. Couple that with the self loading enchant that let's you crosbow hold 100 bolts in its own 5th dimentional pocket...and bam fire to your heart's content while dual weilding crossbows.

Dusto
2012-08-10, 05:16 PM
Just a quick question on the stats... how are you even able to move with a 6STR? You'd be encumbered with barely more than your clothes at that str.

Daftendirekt
2012-08-10, 07:28 PM
Just a quick question on the stats... how are you even able to move with a 6STR? You'd be encumbered with barely more than your clothes at that str.

20-lb light load for 6 str as a medium character. Perfectly doable if you have very light armor, a single weapon, and a Handy Haversack.

Flickerdart
2012-08-10, 07:33 PM
There's a +1 enchantment (MIC) that gives your crossbow a magazine of like 100 bolts, and a spell in Dragon Magic that reloads your crossbows for you.

Darrin
2012-08-11, 07:52 AM
20-lb light load for 6 str as a medium character. Perfectly doable if you have very light armor, a single weapon, and a Handy Haversack.

The Easy Travel enhancement is very affordable (+1500 GP, MIC). Add the Belt of Wide Earth (8000 GP, MIC) and he can carry 80 lbs as a light load.

2gig
2012-08-11, 09:13 PM
In addition to all the things you guys suggested, I found the Kimono of Storing from Oriental Adventures in another thread, which, for 4,400gp is a RAW, RAI way to dual-wield hand crossbows when coupled with the Hand Crossbow Specialization feat. Perhaps I could convince my DM to make this 3lb Kimono weigh half because I'm a small creature; it is kind of like armor. Speaking of armor, could I wear the kimono over armor, or would it have to replace armor?

As for my carrying capacity limits, I'm a small creature, so a lot of my gear is going to be weighing half as much as it would for a medium creature. Even my crossbow bolts weigh half as much. My hand crossbows weigh 1lb each and studded leather armor (which I hope includes pants) weighs 10lbs. Assuming I have 60 crossbow bolts on me at any given time, that means I have 5lbs of carrying capacity remaining. 5lbs really doesn't sound like a lot. Heward's Handy Haversack wouldn't help with any of those items because they're either either equipped (weapon/armor) or I need free action access to them (bolts). I can just barely equip the Haversack like this, but not with the Kimono I want to get later on... Ugh, small creatures get 3/4 carrying capacity; I hope 8Str is enough or I get a 32-point buy. I swear I read somewhere that I could get a pack animal to carry everything else, but now I can't seem to find any information on that.

Also, my skill progression for the first 5 levels:
Level 1: Balance(4), Bluff(4), Disable Device(4), Diplomacy(4), Disguise(4), Hide(4), Move Silently(4), Search(4), Sense Motive(4), Spot(4), Sleight of Hand(4)

Level 2: Balance(5), Bluff(4), Concentration(5), Diplomacy(4), Disable Device(5), Disguise(4), Hide(5), Move Silently(5), Search(4), Sense Motive(4), Spot(4), Sleight of Hand(4)

Level 3: Balance(5), Bluff(4), Concentration(6), Diplomacy(4), Disable Device(6), Disguise(4), Hide(6), Move Silently(6), Search(6), Sense Motive(4), Spot(4), Sleight of Hand(4), Spellcraft(1), Conceal Spellcasting Trick(2)

Level 4: Balance(5), Bluff(4), Concentration(7), Diplomacy(4), Disable Device(7), Disguise(4), Hide(7), Move Silently(7), Search(7), Sense Motive(4), Spot(7), Sleight of Hand(4), Spellcraft(2), Conceal Spellcasting Trick(2)

Level 5: Balance(5), Bluff(4), Concentration(8), Diplomacy(4), Disable Device(8), Disguise(5), Hide(8), Move Silently(8), Search(8), Sense Motive(4), Spot(8), Sleight of Hand(4), Spellcraft(4), Conceal Spellcasting Trick(2)

I'm taking disguise because I'm assuming it synergizes with the spell from the Mimic Rogue ACF.

Darrin
2012-08-11, 10:17 PM
In addition to all the things you guys suggested, I found the Kimono of Storing from Oriental Adventures in another thread, which, for 4,400gp is a RAW, RAI way to dual-wield hand crossbows when coupled with the Hand Crossbow Specialization feat.

Not *quite* RAW. OA got an update to 3.5 in Dragon Magazine #318, and the Kimono's price was increased to 20000 GP to bring it in line with the 3.5 version of the Glove of Storing. However, since it was never reprinted anywhere, and not part of the official OA Web errata (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/OAWeberrata_02062006.zip)... some groups that ban Dragon Magazine material don't consider it RAW.

Glove of the Master Strategist, however, is still only 3600 GP (Ghostwalk p. 71), and that did get an official 3.5 update (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20031225a), so that price is RAW.