PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew class idea: Any help?

Lohj
2012-08-09, 12:51 AM
So, I recently relived my memories of Deathnote, Monster, and Blackcat, and it struck me that there are no real classes tailored to those who can just TALK people into a suicidal submission. Not to say they can't fight, but their primary function was to just sit there and watch the 'evil' in people fight it's way to supremacy, and then be crushed under heel. So, where I get lost is how to work this into a mechanic in-game.
And that's where you all come in.
Anyone want to toss me a rope? One that isn't a noose?

Rainbownaga
2012-08-09, 01:27 AM
Sounds like a bard variant. Rather than make it a full class (which would probably be completely useless against 50% of creatures since the ability you are referring to is probably language dependent mind affecting) why not make it a feat chain.

It would be pretty cool to have a "legitimate" use of diplomancy in combat (rather than its currently broken use).

Vadskye
2012-08-09, 01:53 AM
Like Rainbownaga said, that sounds like a bard. Specifically, that sounds like a Bard using Fascinate off of Perform (oratory) to start the process, and using Suggestion to finish the job. I don't even think you need to invent special rules for this: that's what bards can already do. The only major limitation that goes against what you're trying to do is that you can't literally tell them to kill themselves. Getting around that limitation could be the result of a feat, feat chain, or alternate class feature that you'd have to create.

As a side note, here's why getting around that restriction isn't a big deal balance-wise: you can always suggest that they lay down and go to sleep. That's a coup de grace right there, and if you can't kill someone with a free coup de grace, you need to go home and rethink your life.

General Patton
2012-08-09, 02:27 AM
Is this the kind of thing you're talking about?
Amechra's Machiavellian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221950)

Lohj
2012-08-09, 05:06 PM
I don't want it to be an archetype, though. I want it more like an NPC class that can control people by talking, like the Machiavellian.
Thank you for the suggestions, though.
I'm just picky. :smallfrown: