PDA

View Full Version : Making a real portable hole?

Monodominant
2012-08-09, 03:52 AM
Howdy.

So I am looking for an item that is a -real- portable hole. This means not just a glorified bag of holding but ...

a hole that I put on the wall (or a box, or a door or whatever) and there is now a HOLE in it allowing me to pass through.

Think Kings Quest VI portable hole or ala Looney Tunes portable hole drawn on a wall to cross a mountain.

I considered the possibility of Nolzurs Marvelous Pigments but I am unsure how that would work (and if it would work). Using them to make a hole on a wall or at the bottom of a chest for example...

supermonkeyjoe
2012-08-09, 04:05 AM
Check out the Robe of Useful Items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#robeofUsefulItems) among other things it contains a door, a window and a 10' hole.

planswalker
2012-08-09, 05:07 AM
You'll want a more reliable gimmick that robe with a CHANCE of having such items, monodominant.

At least if Ishmael is gonna have a good chance of being able to use them for you Wile E Coyote schemes.

Duke of URL
2012-08-09, 06:50 AM
1) Make a use-activated wondrous item of passwall (81,000 gp estimated cost).
2) Fluff it is a "portable hole"
3) ???
4) Profit!

Acanous
2012-08-09, 08:33 AM
the Pigments will do it. It's even explicitly stated that they can draw a hole (the example is a hole in a Wall of Force. If it can make a hole in THAT, it can make a hole in ANYTHING)
Your DM will need to adjucate how many uses/how large a hole you can make, though.

Monodominant
2012-08-09, 09:45 AM
Cool!

Than I guess we have a winner... just need to find some of those then!

Salanmander
2012-08-09, 09:55 AM
Cool!

Than I guess we have a winner... just need to find some of those then!

Note that making the hole with the pigments will probably take quite some time. For a hole you can just slap on a wall and go, the item of Passwall is more like what you want. Of course, it's a custom item, but I'd totally allow it if I were DMing. (I was sad when I found out the portable clearly was not what it said on the tin.)

Darrin
2012-08-09, 10:03 AM
There's also an item called a Breachstone (10000 GP, Unapproachable East). It creates a passwall effect, which isn't terribly deep (5' wide, 8' tall, 10' deep), but the passage stays for as long as you keep the stone in the passage. It can only be used 5 times and then crumbles to dust, so 2000 GP per use is a little on the expensive side (scroll of passwall only costs 1125 GP), but the open-ended duration kind of makes up for that.

Von Zinzer
2012-08-09, 11:01 AM
Note that making the hole with the pigments will probably take quite some time.

Not so! Recall that Wile. E. Coyote would often dip a brush in a bucket of paint and slap up a train tunnel on a cliff wall in seconds flat. I'm sure the same can be accomplished in-game. Haste, perhaps? :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Darrin
2012-08-09, 12:13 PM
Not so! Recall that Wile. E. Coyote would often dip a brush in a bucket of paint and slap up a train tunnel on a cliff wall in seconds flat. I'm sure the same can be accomplished in-game. Haste, perhaps? :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

It takes 10 minutes and a DC 15 craft (painting) check to use the pigments. Breachstone only takes a standard action to activate.

planswalker
2012-08-09, 04:16 PM
as his DM, I can definitively tell Monodominant that the passwall custom item is what he wants. If only his character knew a former pc now turned npc artificer offering his services at discount rates...

also, if the item can calibrate the size like I suspect you want, that'll be 95,000 base price. There's quite a bit more utility to it if you can make the holes any size you want within reason.

Voidling
2012-08-09, 04:26 PM

haha - I felt like a kid after reading that :smallbiggrin: