PDA

View Full Version : Draconic Feat: Strength before Grace (3.5e)

Yllarius
2012-08-09, 06:05 AM
So I've been reading about Shivering Touch and banning it so dragon's arn't so useless, and I thought why not make a counter-feat?

Strength before Grace
A dragon's body is so powerful that it can move based on strength alone.
Requirements: Draconic-subtype, Strength 18+
Benefit:
A dragon reduced to 0 dexterity is not helpless but may instead move by sheer strength, for each point below 0 a Dragon's dexterity is lowered instead they take an equivalent penalty to strength, up to a maximum of -5 (10?).

This lets a DM allow shivering touch while saving dragons.

This, however, doesn't solve the other problems Shivering Touch brings, but dragon's seem to be the biggest concern around here.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-09, 06:16 AM
So I've been reading about Shivering Touch and banning it so dragon's arn't so useless, and I thought why not make a counter-feat?

Strength before Grace
A dragon's body is so powerful that it can move based on strength alone.
Requirements: Draconic-subtype, Strength 18+
Benefit:
A dragon reduced to 0 dexterity is not helpless but may instead move by sheer strength, for each point below 0 a Dragon's dexterity is lowered instead they take an equivalent penalty to strength, up to a maximum of -5 (10?).

This lets a DM allow shivering touch while saving dragons.

This, however, doesn't solve the other problems Shivering Touch brings, but dragon's seem to be the biggest concern around here.

Two points. Draconic isn't a subtype. I suspect you meant Dragon type. Also, you may want to limit this to true dragons since otherwise every dragon under the sun, including all half-dragons, will want this if they've got more str than dex and are concerned about dex drain.

Zaq
2012-08-09, 10:33 AM
It's more honest to just ban Shivering Touch if you're worried about it. If I were the kind of guy to actually want to use Shivering Touch on dragons, I'd be much less peeved if you just told me no from the get-go, rather than letting me think I can do it, but homebrewing some weird feat specifically to counter a single spell, making me useless in the process.

If you don't want your players doing something, it'll cause WAY less bad blood to just lay down the ban ahead of time.

Yllarius
2012-08-09, 10:45 AM
It's more honest to just ban Shivering Touch if you're worried about it. If I were the kind of guy to actually want to use Shivering Touch on dragons, I'd be much less peeved if you just told me no from the get-go, rather than letting me think I can do it, but homebrewing some weird feat specifically to counter a single spell, making me useless in the process.

If you don't want your players doing something, it'll cause WAY less bad blood to just lay down the ban ahead of time.

I just figured with something -like- this shivering touch would still be helpful against a dragon. (Lowering it's dex AND some STR.) But not the end-all of a dragon's existance....

eggs
2012-08-09, 10:46 AM
Shivering Touch doesn't even make sense as written. I can't imagine how keeping it as-written could be a meaningful priority.