PDA

View Full Version : My god granteth me not magical might, but martial prowess [3.5, Domains, PEACH, WIP]

Sgt. Cookie
2012-08-09, 06:18 AM
Last night, I was thinking about domains. They are a fantastic way for Clerics to get more spells, hell even Wizards get in on the action. Then my thoughts turned to something else. Something that works like spells. I thought of Martial Maneouvers.

Martial Domain

All Clerics receive special powers from their gods, spells abilities and is even willing to act on behalf of the most powerful of Clerics. Some gods though, do not grant spells, but divine knowledge of Martial Maneouvers. These Clerics are less likely to sit around flinging spells, and fighting on the front lines with their warrior brethren.

Though the term is a misnomer, real Martial Adepts also gain some "domains", even amongst two students at the same school, each might have a different domain, representing different methods of battle. Crusaders are also very likely to posses a Martial Domain.

A Martial Domain grants the Cleric or Initiator the ability to use a small number of [additional] manoeuvers that come from a verity of different schools, even from schools not normally available to the Initiator. A maneouver gained in this manner is always considered ready, and does not take up a known/readied slot. Clerics treat their full Cleric level as their Initiator level, but only for manoeuvers granted by Martial Domains. Maneouvers gained by the Martial Study feat or multiclassing use only half the Cleric level, as per normal.

(The following only applies to Martial Adepts) Manouvers gained from domains work differently to spells gained from domains, as the full initiator level is used, meaning that multiclassed characters continue to gain (Or receve earlier) manouvers, even if they are no longer in their original class.

Clerics, however, are restricted by their Cleric level to determine the number of manoeuvers they gain from their Martial Domains. Additionaly, a Cleric must choose between two Spell OR two Martial domains. Also, just like a cleric can only choose one of their two domain spells at each level, a martial cleric can only keep one of their two martial maneuver options at each level readied (though they can change readied maneuvers like any other initiator). Cloistered Clerics [UA] still gain Knowledge domain when you select two Martial Domains. However, using a spell from the Knowledge Domain cuts off access to the Martial Domains.

Manouvers gained from Martial Domains use the character's standard recovery method. Clerics taking a Martial Domain do not gain a recovery method, even if they posessed one from an Initiator class.

Martial Domains do not grant stances, only actual manouvers.

Only Clerics gain the domain ability.

Desert Wind manouvers can be traded out for Frozen Zephyr/Caustic Tempest/Shocking Sky (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67570) counterparts upon DM approval.

Martial domains are granted by any god that has War, Battle, Slaughter, Combat, etc, in its portfolio.

Domains

Skirmish Domain

Granted ability: The Cleric gains 1d6 of skirmish dice. Unlike the Scout, a Cleric may use this skirmish dice even when wearing medium or heavy armour or carrying a medium or heavy load.

Skirmish domain manouvers:

1st: Wind Stride Boost, gain +10ft movement speed. [Desert wind]
2nd: Emerald Razor Strike, turn melee attack into melee touch attack. [Diamond mind]
3rd: Feigned opening: Counter, as an immediate action, provoke an attack, then counter. [Setting sun]
4th: Bounding assault Strike, double move and attack. [Diamond mind]
5th: Mirrored pursuit Counter, you match opponents movement. [Setting sun]
6th: Desert tempest Strike, attack foes as you move past them. [Desert wind]
7th: Hamstring attack Strike, attack deals 1d8 Dexterity damage, foe’s speed has –10 penalty. [Tiger Claw]
8th: Adamantine Hurricane Strike, two attacks against each adjacent foe, +4 bonus on each attack.
9th: Time stands still Strike, Take full attack action twice. [Diamond mind]

Vanguard Domain - Created by Supercival

Domain Power: Can use [i]Leading the Charge [White Raven] as a normal stance.

1st Charging Minotaur: Strike, Charging bull rush deals damage, ignores attacks of opportunity. [Stone Dragon]
2nd Battle Leader's Charge: Strike, No attacks of opportunity while charging, deal +10 damage. [White Raven]
3rd Soaring Raptor Strike: Strike, Attack larger foe from above with +4 bonus, deal +6d6 damage. [Tiger Claw]
4th Searing Charge: Searing Charge: Strike, Fly while charging, deal
+5d6 fire damage. [Desert Wind]
5th Pouncing Charge: Strike, When you charge, make multiple attacks. [Tiger Claw]
6th War Leader's Charge: Strike, No attacks of
opportunity while charging, deal +35 damage. [White Raven]
7th Salamander Charge: Strike, Charge and create
trail of fire. [Desert Wind]
8th Raging Mongoose: Boost, Make two extra attacks with each weapon carried (max four extra attacks). [Tiger Claw]
9th Warmaster's Charge: Strike, You and allies charge, no attacks of opportunity, deal extra damage, stun. [White Raven]

Time for a feat:

Martial Domain
Through intense study, you learn manouvers that you would not normal have access to.

Prerequisites:
Initiator level: Your Initiator level must be equal to 3/4 your hit dice or more.
Special: Must possess some sort of manouver recovery method.

Benefit: You gain access to a single Martial Domain, selected from the list above.

Special: Your Initiator level need only meet the requirements when you take the feat. If your HD to IL ratio is greater than 3/4, after taking the feat, you do not loose access to this feat.

More to come.

Just to Browse
2012-08-09, 01:50 PM
This is a cool concept. You should label which discipline is the source of which maneuver.

Vadskye
2012-08-09, 01:57 PM
This is indeed a super sexy idea. From a balance perspective, I'd suggest that a cleric can take either two normal domains or two martial domains, and if they choose the martial domains, they don't get the bonus spell slot. That way, the cleric has to sacrifice some casting to get access to maneuvers. Also, just like a cleric can only choose one of their two domain spells at each level, a martial cleric can only keep one of their two martial maneuver options at each level readied (though they can change readied maneuvers like any other initiator).

Honestly, it's probably still too powerful, but it's such a cool idea that I'm not complaining as much as I normally would.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-08-10, 12:08 PM
@Just to Browse: They have been added, as per your suggestion.

@Vadskye: I wasn't sure how balanced these were, but the things you mentioned have been added, in fact, the second half of your post has been copy-pasted in, since I couldn't think of a more succinct way of putting it.

@Everyone: If anyone has any ideas for domain concepts, shout them out please, as it would be a huge help.

sirpercival
2012-09-18, 07:50 AM
How would a cloistered cleric work? Or prcs which grant bonus domains? Do they just get the spells? Do they have have domain spell slots?

Anyway, here's another one:

Vanguard Domain

Domain Power: Can use Leading the Charge [WR] as a normal stance.

1- Charging Minotaur [SD]
2- Battle Leader's Charge [WR]
3- Soaring Raptor Strike [TC]
4- Searing Charge [DW]
5- Pouncing Charge [TC]
6- War Leader's Charge [WR]
7- Salamander Charge [DW]
8- Raging Mongoose [TC]
9- Warmaster's Charge [WR]

SamBurke
2012-09-18, 08:41 AM
I like. So it'd be cross discipline, mostly?

Sgt. Cookie
2012-09-19, 11:03 AM
How would a cloistered cleric work? Or prcs which grant bonus domains? Do they just get the spells? Do they have have domain spell slots?

Cloistered Cleric would get two Martial Domains, and Knowledge Domain as per normal. I'll add in a clause stating that using Knowledge Domain cuts access to Martial Manouvers for the day.

But really though, why are you using Martial Manouvers on a 1/2 BaB class?

PrCs that grant bonus domains cannot select a Martial Domain.

Though a PrC or Base Class that uses Martial Domains alone might be a neat idea...

Anyway, here's another one:

Vanguard Domain

Domain Power: Can use Leading the Charge [WR] as a normal stance.

1- Charging Minotaur [SD]
2- Battle Leader's Charge [WR]
3- Soaring Raptor Strike [TC]
4- Searing Charge [DW]
5- Pouncing Charge [TC]
6- War Leader's Charge [WR]
7- Salamander Charge [DW]
8- Raging Mongoose [TC]
9- Warmaster's Charge [WR]

I like it! I'll throw it in.

I like. So it'd be cross discipline, mostly?

That's correct. In the same way that normal domains are cross school, Martial Domains are cross discipline.

Chances are though, I'm gonna make some Martial Domains drawing the manouvers from some homebrew disciplines.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-09-19, 11:55 AM
Update:

Added in Vanguard Domain.

Added in the Martial Domain feat.