PDA

View Full Version : The Game Begins (Dungeon 3)

mrcarter11
2012-08-09, 08:03 AM
As soon as you clear the doorway, darkness envelops you. It feels like hours pass in seconds as you feel nothing not even the coldness of nothing, but just as suddenly as this strange feeling overtook you, it is gone. Instead you find yourself, standing on the side of a road. The road is perhaps 10 feet wide. To the left, perhaps a hundred feet lies a large and grand city. To the right, perhaps another 100 feet down, is a small caravan. It looks to be maybe two carriages, a single coach, and then two riders each on horseback. The Keeper's voice suddenly springs to life inside your head.

"A man named Holyt is in the caravan. On his person you will find a crimson flask. To escape this dungeon, you must obtain possession of the flask and maintain that possession for a short while, after which you'll be pulled out of this dungeon. I suggest you begin making preparations. And one last thing, once they are inside the city, you will lose automatically. "
You have ten rounds until the caravan is to where you are. They are moving slowly at 10 feet a round. Once you attack, they'll likely move faster, but you can't be certain. If you wish to hide yourself and Alpha from view, it'll take one full round action to do so.

Chasmotic
2012-08-10, 11:17 AM
Quickly formulating a strategy in his mind Kevi quietly tells Alpha to hide itself off the side of the road, with instructions to keep his master and the caravan in sight. With that accomplished Kevi begins walking toward the caravan, as casually as he can, while pulling from his belt-pouch (which a keen observer might notice is attached to his hip directly; lacking pants Kevi finds he really has no need for a belt) a wand, checking almost absentmindedly that it has a small symbol carved into the butt which a generous spirit may call a smile. This wand firmly in hand with its length running up his arm (Hopefully whoever these people are they will either not notice or not recognize what I have. I'll likely be enough a novelty myself to distract most of them!) he infuses a bit more confidence into his stride. Once within easy speaking distance of the caravan Kevi halloos in a casual voice, Ho the caravan! Am I glad to see you! he continues, his gaze taking all of them in while he casually positions himself in the center of the road. (Our keen observer from before might find it a bit odd, had he heard Kevi earlier, that his voice is now modulated perfectly.) I'm a bit of a wandering soul, and I'm embarrassed to say I find myself completely lost! Breaking into what would be described as a belly laugh from anyone else Kevi goes on; Anyway, while I was approaching yonder city it occurred to me that lone travelers are often turned away, leastwise poor looking souls like myself. I know it's rather late in your journey, but I don't suppose you fellas would be willing to let me walk with you for a ways? As you can see here he holds his hands out to his sides and spins around, his eyes darting to where he knows Alpha is hidden, hopping the others can't see it, I am unarmed, and rather harmless.

[roll0], if needed.
[roll1]
More just in case one doesn't cover that whole blurb:[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

mrcarter11
2012-08-10, 12:33 PM
As the caravan slows to a stop, one of the carriages open, and a man steps out.

Dresses in armor and a sword across his back, a common man, would likely be intimidated by this man. A pendent with some sort of rune glows with a brief blue light as the man steps out.
"Welcome fellow. We haven't seen another traveler in ages, you can join me in my carriage. "

Chasmotic
2012-08-10, 07:14 PM
A humble traveler such as myself would be honored to ride with such a personage, Sir. Kevi answers with a polite bow. Your kindness of heart has made me realize, however, that I've once again allowed my mouth to get ahead of my manners; My name is Kataskevi Divayin, he finishes, approaching the carriage, And I do apologize for my lack of etiquette in not introducing myself earlier.

mrcarter11
2012-08-11, 09:44 AM
As you talk, the man climbs back inside his carriage, as you introduce yourself, he reaches his hand out shake yours and help you climb inside.

"Pleasure to meet you. My name is Resin. I'm the captain of this caravan, and so you shall ride with me until we enter the city. So now, what brings you out this way?"

Chasmotic
2012-08-12, 01:10 PM
Once they're alone in the carriage Kevi leans in and whispers apologetically Actually, Sir, I'm here on grave business. I must apologize for a minor lie of omission earlier; you see, though I am a humble traveler, I am also a member of the investigative branch of the Church of Pelor. After a slight pause and a quick glance around he continues, I'm afraid I'm taking a great risk bringing you into my confidence like this, but I have little time. We have had a theft in the church. An Artifact was stolen. I know little about the Artifact, as it is not my place to know such things, but according to our information (and I'm afraid I can't explain where the information comes from, as no one has seen fit to explain it to me, so please don't ask) this Artifact, or perhaps only a portion of it, Divination can be somewhat misleading, is in fact here, in your caravan. I've been given little other than a name, and an object; the name is Holyt, the object has been identified as a crimson flask. This man may be an unknowing pawn, perhaps even afflicted with vile magic to make the purpose of this flask unknown even to him. At any rate, it has been given to me to know, from a higher power, that should that flask enter the city, grave tidings indeed shall come to our door. So, he finishes at last, I am afraid that I must throw myself on your judgment, friend. If my information is faulty, then all I'll have cost you is a little rest within sight of your destination; if my information is accurate, however, it may very well be doom awaiting you behind those walls.

Some bluff rolls, to be used as/if needed. I'd also like to note that much of what Kevi says here is technically true, if misleading; he has been given the name and object, by an apparently higher power, etc. I'm not sure how you hand bluffing with partial truths/allowing someone to misinterpret technically true information, but I've had DMs that have modified the DCs in the past, so I thought it worth noting.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

mrcarter11
2012-08-13, 08:43 AM
Just for future reference, the realms that the Keeper's magic takes you too, might not have the same gods as the general ones. But we'll go with it this time to keep things interesting.

The man before you seems quite confused during your explanation, almost as if it's to much for him to believe.

"Holyt, you say? That's who owns this whole caravan, and it seems awfully doubtful that he'd be mixed up in anything like this. And as captain of the guards on this caravan, I don't see a confrontation with him going over so well, you know what I mean?"