PDA

View Full Version : Magic Mouth used imaginatively

hoverfrog
2012-08-09, 09:32 AM
My view is that the Magic Mouth spell is one of the most useful first level spells that exists in the PHB.

Not only can it be used to leave messages for people but it can be used as an alarm system, as a warning for sneak attacks, and as a password control for guards.

My favourite is to buy some cheap clay pots or some marked stones, cast magic mouth to shout out a compass direction if approached by a living or undead creature larger than a cat not matching the description of the party members (or use a uniform or identifying sash or something). Then use this early warning system by surrounding your camp with these pots. The more you have the further away you can place them and you can even set up a relay of them to respond to the sounds made by the previous Magic Mouth.

What interesting uses have you or your players put the Magic Mouth spell to?

Novawurmson
2012-08-09, 09:38 AM
Distraction/Early warning system during a burglary. Bard sneaks into somebody's house, leaves a magic mouth chanting nonsense words on a tree outside. I gave him a round or two of the person attempting to converse with his "unseen assailant" to make an escape.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-08-09, 09:56 AM
Magic mouth is great as a distraction, put it on an object and then chuck it somewhere to lure away guards.

Or cast a permanent version on your coin purse, set to be triggered whenever someone other than yourself reaches into it and shout "Thief!"

Sudain
2012-08-09, 10:05 AM
We have you surrounded...

... said the rock as it sailed though the window.

lt_murgen
2012-08-09, 11:14 AM
Cast it on athe chamber pot. The potential triggers are endless, and it gets ever-more creepier the more you consider it....

Lapak
2012-08-09, 11:23 AM
My view is that the Magic Mouth spell is one of the most useful first level spells that exists in the PHB.

Not only can it be used to leave messages for people but it can be used as an alarm system, as a warning for sneak attacks, and as a password control for guards.

My favourite is to buy some cheap clay pots or some marked stones, cast magic mouth to shout out a compass direction if approached by a living or undead creature larger than a cat not matching the description of the party members (or use a uniform or identifying sash or something). Then use this early warning system by surrounding your camp with these pots. The more you have the further away you can place them and you can even set up a relay of them to respond to the sounds made by the previous Magic Mouth.

What interesting uses have you or your players put the Magic Mouth spell to?...and every deer that passes within 500 yards of the camp causes a chain reaction of Magic Mouth effects. And no one ever gets to sleep again? :smallamused:

Yllarius
2012-08-09, 11:43 AM
In a particularly raunchy game incorporating the Book of Erotic Fantasy my Anima Mage used it on our female tiefling's lady-parts to yell "RAPE!" anytime anything tried to enter.

Then we got attack by a tentacle monster. Couldn't get through Savnok's armor, so I kept being forced to swap-ally with her so she wouldn't get penetrated. >.>

Ryu_Bonkosi
2012-08-09, 11:58 AM
Then we got attack by a tentacle monster. Couldn't get through Savnok's armor, so I kept being forced to swap-ally with her so she wouldn't get penetrated. >.>

0_o

We have kids on this forum, spoiler tags please.

Well anyway, I once set up a system of magic mouth rocks outside of a place that we were robbing and it was set to trigger to a trip wire bell that when it tinkled it set off one saying something along the lines of "That was the bell, run." And then the rest of the ones in the system would have the trigger to activate after the previous one had been heard and when someone other then the party was seen running at it. So it lead the town guard on a merry chase in the opposite direction as we made our way out of town in the other direction.

hoverfrog
2012-08-09, 12:05 PM
...and every deer that passes within 500 yards of the camp causes a chain reaction of Magic Mouth effects. And no one ever gets to sleep again? :smallamused:It's not intelligent, it's limited by the intelligence of the players...so yeah, deer set it off but at least we got to kill the deer and eat it.

ericgrau
2012-08-09, 12:38 PM
At 10 gp a pop and a permanent duration (until discharged) it's very spammable at high levels. Since it allows complex triggers you can time delay some of the mouths. Set up barber shop quartets of inanimate objects. Create toy shops full of talking dolls. Etc.

Curmudgeon
2012-08-09, 01:27 PM
To me, the best application of Magic Mouth is as a dispel spoiler. An area dispel will iterate through each creature in the affected area, attempting to dispel the spell with highest caster level from each creature and then moving to lower CL spells until it succeeds in dispelling one spell. Placing Magic Mouth at high caster levels with improbable triggers ("Look! Up in the sky! It's a whale!") will make it very likely that a Magic Mouth gets dispelled instead of a useful long-duration buff spell.

Slipperychicken
2012-08-09, 01:37 PM
Write letters to the illiterate or blind.

Troll people by having random objects curse them out.

Novawurmson
2012-08-09, 02:43 PM
("Look! Up in the sky! It's a whale!")

Oh no, not again.

Deth Muncher
2012-08-09, 02:56 PM
Oh no, not again.

And if we knew why Novawurmson said this, we'd understand a great deal more about the universe.

mattie_p
2012-08-09, 03:05 PM
And if we knew why Novawurmson said this, we'd understand a great deal more about the universe.

Umm, maybe because Curmudgeon said it before here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13388822&postcount=10)?

Zale
2012-08-09, 03:11 PM
Magic Mouth a rock to speak whenever anyone passes by.

Place said rock in a secluded alleyway.

Have it say "Why.. Why did you kill me?"

Use Scrying Magic to view the comedic effects at your convenience.

It'd be great if you were trying to make a house seem haunted.

Novawurmson
2012-08-09, 03:14 PM
Umm, maybe because Curmudgeon said it before here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13388822&postcount=10)?

Good explanation, but not quite (http://youtu.be/h02a2HSB58M). Don't Panic, though.

killem2
2012-08-09, 04:40 PM
In the age of worms module, The Whispering Cairn *spoiler warning*

They have dead female elfs head in this evil wizards hide out and it is sitting on a silver plate held by a mummified goblin and if you touch it, the head starts yelling INTRUDER INTRUDER INTRUDER.

creepy and awesome ahaha.

mattie_p
2012-08-09, 04:57 PM
Good explanation, but not quite (http://youtu.be/h02a2HSB58M). Don't Panic, though.

Well, if he had a towel, the whale wouldn't panic either.

Ravens_cry
2012-08-09, 05:56 PM
Give an animated skeleton ancient, threadbare robes and corroded jewellery. Then cast magic mouth on it to say something threatening like, "You shall now face my wrath!" and have the skeleton attack.
Hopefully the players will freak out and think they are fighting a lich at low level.