PDA

View Full Version : Roll20

Yllarius
2012-08-09, 12:33 PM
I recently started using this nifty thing after deciding to start up an online DnD campaign since I moved away from my old group.

That being said, I FREAKING LOVE THIS THING. I used to use maptools but Roll20.net has it beat in every way.

First off, it supports video/audio chat, though I still prefer skype out of habit.

It has a built in art-library search for tokens/maps/pogs, a built in fog of war. (I can build my map and reveal it piece by piece!) It gives distances, has HP bars, Auras, turn orders....

You can stream music to your players and even add notable places/characters in a journal (Allowing specific PCs to see/not see them.)

In fact, I find it easier to DM on roll20 sometimes than in real life!

Mithril Leaf
2012-08-09, 01:18 PM
First off, this probably belongs in the Roleplaying Games forum itself. Secondly, you are right and it is pretty awesome, many of us use it.

Draz74
2012-08-09, 01:47 PM
I recently started using this nifty thing after deciding to start up an online DnD campaign since I moved away from my old group.

That being said, I FREAKING LOVE THIS THING. I used to use maptools but Roll20.net has it beat in every way many ways.

Roll20 is pretty awesome, but MapTool still has it severely outclassed in many ways. (And Roll20 wins severely in other ways.)

First off, it supports video/audio chat, though I still prefer skype out of habit.
Definitely a strong feature, other than the fact that it crashes on my computer unless I use the Google Hangouts integration. But hey, at least that backup method is included!

It has a built in art-library search for tokens/maps/pogs, a built in fog of war. (I can build my map and reveal it piece by piece!) It gives distances, has HP bars, Auras, turn orders....
MapTool definitely wins in these areas:

Having the art-search function built in isn't that big a deal, especially when the search is pretty unwieldy and MapTool has drag-and-drop capabilities from your internet browser.
I haven't been using Roll20 long, but I'm already worried about running into the 500 MB limit on uploaded art. Even if I only use it for background/map images.
MapTool has more flexible shapes for adding/removing Fog of War, and has other sight-limiting tools as well, such as light sources.
MapTool gives distances as you move a token, and allows the movement path to employ waypoints.
I think the two VTTs are pretty equal when it comes to HP bars, auras, and turn orders.

You can stream music to your players and even add notable places/characters in a journal (Allowing specific PCs to see/not see them.)
The Jukebox is probably Roll20's single strongest feature, and the Journal is handy too.

In fact, I find it easier to DM on roll20 sometimes than in real life!
Yep, I'm a big fan of VTTs as battlemats even in face-to-face games. That goes for MapTool and Roll20 alike.

Roll20 is probably a better VTT than MapTool overall, mostly just because it's so much easier to learn to use. But if you ignore the learning curve factor, then MapTool is potentially much more powerful (macro frameworks, map-building/drawing tools, automation, ability to actually share the maps/campaigns you've created with other DMs).

I currently use MapTool to create my maps, then upload them onto Roll20 for use. But we'll see if either program can improve enough to become my one-and-only VTT.