PDA

View Full Version : PF Team PvP. Suggestions?

Riverdance
2012-08-09, 12:57 PM
The rules:

1) All characters will need to derive from the PathfinderRPG Core Rulebook. No exceptions to this rule.

2) All characters will be of tenth level. That means tenth level wealth as well. Also, your character can buy any item they can afford.

3) All players will be rolling two sets of abilities: re-rolling 1's and 2's

4) All characters will have first level maxed out for HP, but every level after (second to tenth) will have them rolled re-rolling only 1's.

5) The game will be a battle to the death with teams.

The Players:
I don't know what the teams will be yet, but I know there will be:

-Druid Packlord from Ultimate Magic possibly multi classed with Spellslinger from UC.

-A monk.

There are a few other players. One at least I know likes to make heavy melee characters.

I plan on making a primarily melee style character purely because I am inexperienced with casters. Arcane archers are fun but I'm still better with a large sword. I'm considering paladin or fighter with really high defenses. So, any suggestions? How could I best optimize this?

legomaster00156
2012-08-09, 01:04 PM
I think you shouldn't be asking a char-op board for help.:smallwink:

Novawurmson
2012-08-09, 01:04 PM
The rules:

1) All characters will need to derive from the PathfinderRPG Core Rulebook. No exceptions to this rule.

The Players:
I don't know what the teams will be yet, but I know there will be:

-Druid Packlord from Ultimate Magic possibly multi classed with Spellslinger from UC.

wat Ultimate Magic is not the Core Rule Book.

Chained Birds
2012-08-09, 04:59 PM
wat Ultimate Magic is not the Core Rule Book.

I must concur, wat?

So are only the spellcasters allowed to go outside the Core Only rule? :smallconfused:

Riverdance
2012-08-09, 09:09 PM
Yeah, we're allowed to go off core if it's approved by the GM.

Chained Birds
2012-08-09, 09:40 PM
(Anti)Paladin 4+/ Oracle 1+/ Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 1

Not knowing the level from wence you start, going with the above might be unlikely.
- (Anti)Paladin already gets Cha-to-Saves, and Cha-to-Hit (Smite Evil, limited uses)
- 1 level dip in Oracle can get you Cha-to-AC (replaces Dex).
- Gunslinger Mysterious Stranger archetype can get Cha-to-Damage with Firearm attacks.

Or

Antipaladin 4+/ Summoner (Synthesist) 11+

For higher level play! Even the fearless will fear you!

Novawurmson
2012-08-10, 08:48 AM
Well, Druid/Spellslinger has no synergy to my knowledge: Need to pump Wis (Druid), Int (Wizard), and Dex (Guns), meaning you probably can't also get a good Str and Con for Wildshaping effecively; you can't use your armor proficiencies from Druid because of arcane spell failure chance; you won't have a good casting progression for either of your classes...the list goes on and on.

I'd recommend a melee Druid (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/druid-handbook-part-2). Tenth level is juuuuust within their sweet spot. I'd recommend giving your animal companion a bonus to Int at level 4 so it can pick up some teamwork feats. Maybe Precise Strike for its level 6 feat, Outflank for its level 9 feat? That's an additional +2 when flanking (which you two always should be), if one of you crits, the other gets an attack of opportunity, and +1d6 precision damage when flanking.

Peat
2012-08-10, 01:01 PM
I'm going to guess most players will make their characters non-evil alignment to evade getting Paladin'ed in the face, so I'd probably not go down that route.

If you want to farm some bonuses to hit, I'd look at Ranger actually. Take Favoured Enemy - Human and unless I'm mistaken, you're on bonuses against Humans, Half-Elves and Half-Orcs. Even if I'm wrong, ten levels would allow you to take all three of these anyway. Or just dip to get the most likely opponent. This is all the better if you can persuade your GM to open up the alternate fighting styles for Ranger.

I'm tempted to suggest a Fighter 7/Ranger 2/Barbarian 1 - you've got Favoured Enemy, you've got Rage, and I imagine with so many feats you can easily pick up enough Extra Rage to make it work. Your saves would be pretty damn decent when Raging - and with your favoured weapon group against your favoured enemy while Raging, you're on +5 to hit and damage rolls before considering anything else. Which seems ok to me. Others might have better ideas though.