PDA

View Full Version : Martial loremaster

Lastcrysis
2012-08-09, 02:56 PM
Martial Loremaster

Alignment: Any but Chaotic.
Hit Die: d8.

Requirements
To qualify to become a Martial loremaster, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Skills:7 ranks in four key discipline skills, Knowledge (Martial Lore) 7 ranks.
Feats: Adaptive Style, Scribe Martial Script
Spells: Must know at least one maneuver from nine different disciplines

Class Skills
The Martial loremaster's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are
Balance, Climb, Concentration, craft, Diplomacy, Hide, intimidate, jump, Knowledge (history, local, martial lore), sense motive, swim, tumble.

PFC skills: Acrobatics, Climb, craft, Diplomacy, intimidate, Knowledge (history, local, martial lore), perception, sense motive, stealth, swim.

Skill Ranks at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Martial Loremaster
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Man. Readied|Stances Known
1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Secret|
+1|
+0

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Martial Lore|
+1|
+0

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Secret|
+1|
+0

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Lend Maneuver|
+1|
+1

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Secret|
+1|
+0

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Greater Martial lore|
+1|
+0

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Secret|
+1|
+0

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6|Lend Stance|
+1|
+1

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+6|Secret|
+1|
+0

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+7|True lore|
+1|
+0 [/table]

Maneuvers: Unlike other adept class, you can learn maneuvers from any discipline, and you may know any number of maneuvers (see Combat Manual, below).

Once you know a maneuver, you must ready it before you can use it (see Maneuvers Readied, below). A maneuver usable by martial loremasters is considered an extraordinary ability unless otherwise noted in its description. Your maneuvers are not affected by spell resistance, and you do not provoke attacks of opportunity when you initiate one. You must meet a maneuver’s prerequisite to learn it. See Table 3–1, Tome of Battle p. 39, to determine the highest-level maneuvers you can learn.

Combat Manual: You must study your combat manual for at least 10 minutes to ready a maneuver you do not have memorized. You cannot ready any maneuver not recorded in your manual or already know from know from a previous class.

At each new martial loremasters, you gain one new maneuvers of any level or levels that you can initiate (based on your new character level) for your combat manual. At any time, you can also add maneuvers and stances found in Martial scripts or taut to you by another martial adept to your own.

Secrets: At 1th level and every two levels higher than 1th (3th, 5th, 7th, and 9th), you choose one secret from the table below. Your martial loremasters level plus Int modifier determines the secrets from which you can choose. You can’t choose the same secret twice.

MARTIAL LOREMASTER SECRETS
{table=head]Level + Int Modifier|Secret|Effect
1|
Instant mastery|
4 ranks of a skill in which the character has no ranks

2|
Secret health|
+1 hit point per level

3|
Secrets of inner strength|
+2 bonus on Will saves

4|
The lore of true stamina |
+2 bonus on Fortitude saves

5|
Secret knowledge of avoidance|
+2 bonus on Reflex saves

6|
Weapon trick|
+1 bonus on attack rolls

7|
Dodge trick|
+1 dodge bonus to AC

8|
Applicable knowledge|
Any one feat

9|
Newfound Lore|
1 additional maneuver readied

10|
More newfound Lore|
1 additional stance known[/table]
* As if gained through having a high ability score.

Martial Lore: at 2nd level, the martial Loremaster gains one weapon proficiency for every two class levels higher than 2nd (4th, 6th, 8th) level with a weapon he is not already proficient with.

Lend Maneuver (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a martial loremaster can lend some of his combat maneuvers to allies, allowing them to use a combat maneuvers as if they had the Martial study feat. By accepting a penalty of one less maneuver readied for which he has selects at the beginning of combat, an martial loremaster grants that combat maneuver to all allies within 30 feet. Activating this ability is a full-round action, and the effect lasts for as long as the martial loremaster remains conscious and within range

Greater Martial Lore: At 6th level, the martial loremaster has a -2 instead of a -4 when using a weapon he is not proficient with.

Lend Stance (Ex): Starting at 8th level, a martial loremaster can allow all allies within 30 feet to get the same benefits from the stance he currently is in. If the martial loremaster is able to use more than one stance at a time his allies only receive the benefits from one stance when the ability was first activated. Activating this ability is a full-round action, and the effect lasts for as long as the martial loremaster remains conscious and within range.

True Martial Lore: At 10th level the martial loremaster is considered to be proficient with all weapons due to his time spent studying the personal nature of combat.

Lastcrysis
2012-08-09, 03:01 PM
ok.. I am new to this forum thing i dont know how to make a nice chart on here yet but if any on can take a look at this class and tell me how i can mke it better i would be very thankful:smallbiggrin:

Vadskye
2012-08-09, 04:00 PM
I'm not seeing a strong thematic connection between these abilities. He uses martial maneuvers, which means he has to be a melee character... but he gets 1/2 BAB progression. He's scholarly (the lore abilities, only Will saves are good) but also very sturdy (Mettle)? But wait, he's not really scholarly, he's wise, since the Lore abilities are based off of Wisdom instead of Intelligence. He has the ability to use a wide variety of exotic weapons, but no good reason to do so, since it's very expensive to maintain an eclectic collection of weapons.

I have trouble offering suggestions, because I have no idea what this class is supposed to do. It needs a greater degree of focus.

Lastcrysis
2012-08-09, 04:15 PM
hmm thanks i will look in to getting ride of mettle this is my first attempt at this i was trying to use master of the Nine BAB for and saves for a templet.but mettle was to show the start of him perfecting himself.
i was going to the Wise fighter look for this build. if you have any ideas to replace mettle i am open to them i am working on the storie for this class now also, i will add it as soon as i am done:smallsmile:
the reason i am gave him the proficiency is not so that he can have all the weapons it was to show he has mastered the art of war

Nihilarian
2012-08-09, 04:29 PM
First off
Base Class Name

Put an image of your class here!

Put a quote by or about a member of your class here!

A general description of what your class is!

Adventures: Why your class might adventure.

Characteristics: What your class is capable of.

Alignment: What alignment or alignments your class may have and why.

Religion: What deities or ideals your class follows, if any, and why.

Background: How you become part of your class and why.

Races: What races most often have members of your class, as well as any races that cannot join, along with why.

Other Classes: How your class relates to other classes, positively or negatively, and why.

Role: What your class does in and for a party.

Adaptation: How a DM might change your class to fit into their campaign or unique world setting.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
CLASS NAME's have the following game statistics.
Abilities: A brief description of what ability scores are important to your class.
Alignment: What alignments are available to your class are listed here. "Any" is a possibility.
Hit Die: dx
Starting Age: What age your class starts at level one as normally ("As barbarian," "As bard," and "As cleric" are the standard options, though feel free to put down the numbers, as well.).
Starting Gold: What amount of currency your class starts at level one with normally ("As barbarian," "As cleric," "As druid," "As fighter," "As monk," and "As sorcerer" are the standard options, though feel free to put down the numbers, as well.).

Class Skills
The CLASS NAME's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are...

Skill Points at First Level: (x + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: x + Int modifier

CLASS NAME
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

2nd|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

3rd|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

4th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

5th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

6th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

7th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

8th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

9th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

10th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

11th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

12th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

13th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

14th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

15th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

16th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

17th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

18th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

19th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability

20th|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Class Ability[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the CLASS NAME.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: What weapons and armor your class is proficient in the use of!

All other class features go here (Use the format shown directly below if you don't know what to do.)!

CLASS FEATURE NAME (Ex, Su, Sp, Ps):Copy and Paste this into your post, putting in the information for your class.

As far as fluff goes, I actually like the flavor (if it's what I think it is). A weak-but-skilled approach to maneuvers. A warrior with a book in one hand and a blade in the other.

Execution is a miss for me though.

BAB: A weak BAB on a melee class is odd. Granted, there are plenty of maneuvers that don't care about full attacks, which lessens the impact somewhat, but it will be very difficult to hit. You might need a way to compensate for that.

Martial Lore: Pretty flavorful but probably unnecessary. Warblades can take Exotic Weapon Proficiency at level 1 and change his weapon proficiency daily.

Improved Martial Lore/True Martial Lore: This isn't bad. You might stumble across a great weapon in the middle of the dungeon and would otherwise be unable to use it (until tomorrow, if you're a warblade).

Secret: I'm not a fan of this ability in general, but even if I were I'd be wary of cutting it out and sticking it in a new class. I think there is enough flavor with your concept that you don't need to crib notes from the DMG here. And I'm not entirely certain why it's based on wisdom, anyway.

Perfect Self: Mediocre capstone is mediocre.

Overall: I like the idea behind it; a smart guy swordsman who knows every fighting technique by the book. But the class features seem sort of unfocused, and none of them are all that good. In fact, the best feature of this PrC is taken at 1st level.

SuggestionsDivorce this class from the loremaster. Loremasters abilities work all right because they basically replace nothing; Swordsages and Warblades get some nifty abilities that mean they can be taken up to level 20 with no remorse. Ease the requirements so that it can be entered by level 5. Spread the Combat Manual out over 10 levels. Come up with some original ideas that fit whatever flavor you're going for.

If you want to keep Secrets, I'd base it off of Intelligence.

Lastcrysis
2012-08-09, 05:03 PM
ok i got ride of Mettle and perfectself and added in Lend maneuver and Lend stance. i think this fit the Wis Marial teacher theme i was looking for. i dont know is i should add any more Maneuvers known i am trying to find the right balance for this class...any ideas?

i also fixed the BAR, Fort and Will save. i changed the requirements so it can be taken at a lower lv too.

i change the wis requirerment on secret but i am considering changing it back i want to have wise teacher roll for the PrC.

i want to keep the secrets to show that he is learning the hidden knowledge that the adept classes have to offer. but i was thing of going with something like weapons training from the pathfinder fighter when i first started this project.

I am also looking for better naming ideas.

JoshuaZ
2012-08-10, 01:11 PM
I'm confused by "1 additional stance readied" - stances aren't normally readied, so what do you mean by this?

Lastcrysis
2012-08-10, 05:35 PM
opps that was a mistake Thanks for the catch :smallsmile: