PDA

View Full Version : The Dominion of the New World - A Mythic American Steampunk for Legend (WIP, PEACH)

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-09, 03:07 PM
The Dominion of the New World
A steampunk setting for Legend RPG inspired by the folktales and myths of North American culture.
http://www.fengzhudesign.com/blog/fzd_oldweststeam_01a.JPG

Hey all! I'll have this fleshed out in no time, but I'll need the first 10 posts for this stuff:

Intro and Table of Contents
Setting
Races
Politics
History
Factions
Religion
Myths
Heroes
Technology
Magic
Foe Manual
Rogues Gallery
Monsters
User-Created Content
Classes
Equipment
Characters

Plus some extra space.

Landis and Ninja: we're back!

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-09, 03:09 PM
The Setting

Setting & History: Steampunk. Other elements include:

Pirates
Revolutionary War
The Kinstrife, a violent war when the Dominion turned against itself over the rights of Ironmen.
Wild West
Opium Wars

Races:

Imperials: Mmmmm, vanilla.
Jamatu: Imperials that are a creole of a cultural minority from the East and natives from the marshlands of the New World. Voodoo is their religion (name pending)
Natives:
Plains: Several tribes allied with the Empire, but there are several other tribes (ousted from their eastern homelands by the Empire) that act as guerrilla terrorists.
Northwest: Fisherfolk who are constantly bickering with each other, and also with the Empire.
Mountain: These guys consider the mountains to be the birthplace of all life, and guard their homes fiercely.
Wild Men: Natives who reject all human social order. They roam in packs, speak in a rudimentary tongue, and attack Imperials and other Natives alike.
Boradoans: Natives hailing from the southern desert, consisting of two major groups.
The Devout: These Natives protect and guard the palaces of their Old Gods.
Nuevo Boradoans: These Natives are a breakaway faction from the Devout. They settled on the northern fringes of the desert, slowly salvaging the secrets of a small Palace of the Old Gods.
Warforged: These will serve as a slave race, either pre- or post-freedom.

Politics:

I think an empire is definitely necessary, made up mostly of humans, with a lot of smaller kingdoms scattered everywhere else.
Powerful economy with lots of steampunk industry.
Military might. The Empire's military should be the baddest thing anyone's ever heard of. Undefeated.
Lots of secret organizations scattered everywhere.
The Empire should profess the freedom of all people, perhaps while crushing those who choose not to join the Empire.
The Empire has a huge amount of pride despite/because its people come from all other nations.
The Empire expanded West because of dwindling resources, and is currently fighting a war against the Boradoans and some other natives.

Factions: Essentially, this is a list of approved cultures, organizations, and religions.

The Empire: A democratic Empire made up of immigrants from across the Eastern Ocean, this nation is a major contender for control of the entire continent.
Progeny of Freedom - The group responsible for building, staffing, and caring for monuments to national heroes. "Temple" of the Empire.
The Lightborn - The major religious presence in the Empire, these folk preach the damnation of all that is arcane, especially the Undead. Most Imperials are at least nominally members of the Lightborn, though many are far from orthodox in their lifestyle.
The Academy of Steam - Dr. Steam's center for research. "Temple" of knowledge and the enlightenment movement.
The Gardens of Nostalgia - A society dedicated to the preservation of nature into national parks, and also to instilling a love of nature into the populace. "Temple" of nature and the romantic movement.
Rectorum - A secret society rumored to be pulling the strings behind every major Imperial organization. Thought by many to be a fiction.
Voodoo - The religion/magic system of the J'amatu.
Borado: Nomads from the southern desert, this folk guards the secret places of their gods from all outsiders.
The Devout - A stalwart group of rangers and warriors dedicated to guarding the Place of the Old Gods.
New Borado: A mix of the blood of Borado and Pre-Imperial immigrants from the east, this nation dwells in great cliff cities in the canyons that riddle the Northern Desert.
Temple of The Heavenly Host - Considered to be profane by the Boradoans, this place of worship seeks to harness the power hidden away in the artifacts of the Old Gods.
Hand of Fire - The Military of New Borado, these individuals use strange weaponry evolved from the study of the Old Gods' artifacts.
Natives: Once scattered across the entirety of the New World, now these folk are constrained to the northern plains and the western frontier.
Plains - Once living in vast underground cities, these people are now seminomadic, and work as transporters for the Empire's farming industry in the plains region.
Mountain - Revered as shamans and sacred protectors by all native factions, these folk live in the Western Peaks. They consider all life to have started in these mountains, and guard them fiercely against all encroachment.
Northwestern - Truly a multitude of bickering tribes, these people are nevertheless bound by a common culture. They all live in communal lodges and live off of the bounty of the sea, and most of them are very antagonistic towards the encroaching empire.

Map:
Geographical:http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s231/sithlord7/AMERKU3.jpg
Political:http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s231/sithlord7/PolFinal1.jpg
The Kinstrife:http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s231/sithlord7/KinstrifeFinal1.jpg

Locations:

The First Canton of the Empire of the New World, also known as "Norton, C.E." for Emperor Norton I, is the capital of the Empire of the New World.
Coterois, Gateway to the West, City of Crossing Paths, and home to the underwater playground of Aqualuxia
Mahigan, Gateway to the Plains
Platarena: Capital of Nuevo Borado, and a hotbed of Strange, Ancient Technology.
San Bernardo: A thriving immigrant city on the Western coast, this city was rocked by a violent earthquake. It had since been rebuilt in absurd fashion by Dr. Steam.
Tree Island: One of the few law-bound towns in the region just East of the Sacred Mountains, this is a gambling haven as well as the sight of many famous gunfights.
The Palace of the Gods: A mythical city of long lost secrets. The nomadic Boradoans--and, it seems, the desert itself--guard it fiercely against all incursions.
Tokareville (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12835171&postcount=185): A flying city powered by the wonders of steam. Originally invented by Dr. Tokarev himself, he quickly abandoned it for other projects, and it was soon usurped by pirates.

Religion:

The Dwellers in Light: An Old World religion worshipped by most Imperials to one degree or another. It condemns undeath as the most abominable sin, and shuns the practice of magic.
The Old Gods (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12838536&postcount=191): The religion of both Borado and Nuevo Borado.
Native religions: A collection of beliefs that vary widely by region, but nonetheless share many common themes.

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-09, 03:10 PM
Myths, Legends, and Tales

Myths:

Concho Tex (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12756166&postcount=102), The greatest cowboy in the New World.
Blackfox, with his erstwhile companion the Masked Imperial! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12699373&postcount=90)
Sergei Tokarev (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12770325&postcount=122), aka "Dr. Steam." He will be a prominent figure for the Enlightenment faction.
Iron John, Ironman Martyr (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12634092&postcount=58).
Tribulation Jenny (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12756254&postcount=103), the Most Magnificent Woman in the World.
Daniel Brockett (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12734982&postcount=98), King of the Wild Frontier.
Slate the Killer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12756384&postcount=105), greatest Lawman of the West.
Thomas "Tommy" Oakenstride (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12770306&postcount=120), a nigh-mythical figure and a figurehead for the Romantic movement.
Usher Ravenholme (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12770313&postcount=121), famed Imperial Poet, madman, and rumored dabbler in dark arts.
Isaiah Copperton (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12874689&postcount=213), Champion of Freedom, and greatest Emperor of the New World.
Albus Politus and Jonathan Norton (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12903150&postcount=234), two of the Four Fathers, the most influential men in the birth of the Dominion.
The Gentlmen (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12934465&postcount=251), the iconics of the setting.
Headless horseman
Voodoo (Baron Samedi)
Paul Bunyan
Bigfoot
Casey Jones
Uncle Sam

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-09, 03:11 PM
Foe Manual

Monsters: There will probably be a lot of carry-over between this and Myths.

Zombies
Bigfoot
Aliens
Jersey Devil
Cthulhu
Demonic Possession: Paranormal Activity? The Exorcist???
Witches: Nothing says "America" like the Salem witch trials.
Mad Scientists: This could be reflavored as Mad Wizards/Sorcerers pretty easily.
Native Monsters:
Lake Monster: A lake that pursues and kills you if you drink out of it. What?
Obsidian Giant: A giant covered in/made of big plates of obsidian. Weakness in the armpit.
Thunderbird: Maybe big/important enough for deification. Controls/summons storms. Killed and replaced the dragons a long time ago. Can shapeshift into humans by tilting back their beaks like a mask and removing their feathers like a cloak.
Giants
Gremlins

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-09, 03:13 PM
User-Created Content

Classes, Homebrew, Etc.
We will be using Legend (www.ruleofcool.com) for this setting. If you don't have it, then you should.

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-09, 03:14 PM
Reserved for Extra Space 1

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-09, 03:15 PM
Reserved for Extra Space 2

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-09, 03:16 PM
Reserved for Extra Space 3

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-09, 03:17 PM
Reserved for Extra Space 4

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-09, 03:18 PM
Reserved for Extra Space 5

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-09, 03:56 PM
That'll do it! I welcome help from anyone and everyone, and I welcome Landis963 and NinjaDeadBeard back to the project!

To kick things off, let it be known that I'm looking for a different picture for the OP. I'd like to have something like this:
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs47/f/2009/228/9/8/dawn_patrol_by_sandara.jpg
Something with people in it, looking off to a horizon that's full of promise. Except, you know, steampunk. City scenes will work just fine, I'd like a better example of kooky steampunk gadgetry (and the people that use it) than what's in the OP at the moment.

This is close to what I'm looking for:
http://www.michaeldashow.com/forum_art/steampunk-color27a.jpg
...but not that kooky. :smalltongue:

Landis963
2012-08-09, 08:51 PM
:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

*Sighs happily* I've been waiting for this!

Also, is that lady in the picture foaming at the mouth? :smallconfused: :smalleek:

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-09, 09:26 PM
*Sighs happily* I've been waiting for this!

Seconded!

Also, is that lady in the picture foaming at the mouth? :smallconfused: :smalleek:

I think that's a banana. Not sure why, but there you go.

So...where were we? :smallbiggrin:

Landis963
2012-08-10, 09:50 PM
I think that's a banana. Not sure why, but there you go.

...Is it bad that I'm thinking "why doesn't she just toss them whole? Or peel them and throw the peel and the contents separately? It'd be much faster than trying to eat every single one."

So...where were we? :smallbiggrin:

As I recall, we were about to start on creating a Gullah analogues for that southeast peninsula, opposite Coterois' peninsula. Also, there was talk of developing the mountain tribe beyond "lives in and venerates the mountain", but I'm not sure whether that got off the ground.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-10, 11:05 PM
As I recall, we were about to start on creating a Gullah analogues for that southeast peninsula, opposite Coterois' peninsula. Also, there was talk of developing the mountain tribe beyond "lives in and venerates the mountain", but I'm not sure whether that got off the ground.

I thought we were discussing the Dragon/Alien Conspiracy Stuff. But I do recall Zap mentioning the Mountain Folk needed more development.

What if they're famous for using tremendously long spears so they can pole-vault through the rocky mountains? They've gotten so good at it that outside observers think the Mountain Natives can fly. I forget whether or not the Thunderbirds are extinct or not, but if there are still such creatures, I can see the Mountain Natives (need a name) especially revering them.

Actually, it could be an interesting relationship if the Natives act as caretakers for the Thunderbirds, refusing to ride them but keeping pace with their pole-vaulting, helping them hunt and cleaning them from time to time.

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-10, 11:43 PM

Let's go for it! I don't know much about Gullah stuff... can you tell me a little about it?

I thought we were discussing the Dragon/Alien Conspiracy Stuff. But I do recall Zap mentioning the Mountain Folk needed more development.

What if they're famous for using tremendously long spears so they can pole-vault through the rocky mountains? They've gotten so good at it that outside observers think the Mountain Natives can fly. I forget whether or not the Thunderbirds are extinct or not, but if there are still such creatures, I can see the Mountain Natives (need a name) especially revering them.

I love it! Let's go further. I wanted the Thunderbirds to be larger (storm-sized)... what do you think?

Actually, it could be an interesting relationship if the Natives act as caretakers for the Thunderbirds, refusing to ride them but keeping pace with their pole-vaulting, helping them hunt and cleaning them from time to time.

I'd like them to be more elusive. Maybe the natives got the idea of vaulting from legends of the Thunderbirds in the mountains.

I also think we should make sure each Native culture has its own interpretation of the Thunderbird myth. We should give it hints of distinctions like the chromatics and metallics, but we should keep it vague enough that we leave them up to table interpretation.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-11, 01:38 AM
I also think we should make sure each Native culture has its own interpretation of the Thunderbird myth. We should give it hints of distinctions like the chromatics and metallics, but we should keep it vague enough that we leave them up to table interpretation.

Hmmm...so like the Plains Natives see the Thunderbirds as destroyers since the dry plains could be set ablaze by a single lightning bolt. But the Boradoans see them as Anuncian Lluvia, or Rain Heralds (thanks Google Translate!), since they bring the storm that allows for rain. The Mountain Natives might see them as wondrous, but dangerous at the same time, as a mountain storm can be terrible, but from their high vantage point they can see that the storms feed the rivers.

Aaaaand Tokarev wants to dissect one, and then reverse-engineer a couple, FOR SCIENCE! :smalltongue: Did we expect anything less?

Wyntonian
2012-08-11, 03:06 PM
Hmmm...so like the Plains Natives see the Thunderbirds as destroyers since the dry plains could be set ablaze by a single lightning bolt. But the Boradoans see them as Anuncian Lluvia, or Rain Heralds (thanks Google Translate!), since they bring the storm that allows for rain. The Mountain Natives might see them as wondrous, but dangerous at the same time, as a mountain storm can be terrible, but from their high vantage point they can see that the storms feed the rivers.

Aaaaand Tokarev wants to dissect one, and then reverse-engineer a couple, FOR SCIENCE! :smalltongue: Did we expect anything less?

I've just started reading this, but this looks awesome! Good work so far!

Landis963
2012-08-11, 03:09 PM
Let's go for it! I don't know much about Gullah stuff... can you tell me a little about it?

:smallredface: I actually don't know much about it myself, but I remember a newcomer bringing it up just before the first thread ended.

I love it! Let's go further. I wanted the Thunderbirds to be larger (storm-sized)... what do you think?

I'd like them to be more elusive. Maybe the natives got the idea of vaulting from legends of the Thunderbirds in the mountains.

Sounds good. Maybe there are a few scattered nests in the mountains where juveniles and their parents of say, two different species roost (they'd be identical to the untrained eye), and when they reach a certain age (say, fledgling or adolescent) they go to either the Plains area or to Borado.

The Plains Thunderbirds could be more aggressive and less averse to targeting prey with lightning bolts, to support that, while the Boradoan Thunderbirds are more adapted for downpours than their Plains counterparts.

Why is this guy so fun to write? :smallbiggrin:

NothingButCake
2012-08-11, 04:29 PM
I just wanted to say I really like the work here.

Hmmm...so like the Plains Natives see the Thunderbirds as destroyers since the dry plains could be set ablaze by a single lightning bolt. But the Boradoans see them as Anuncian Lluvia, or Rain Heralds (thanks Google Translate!), since they bring the storm that allows for rain.Anuncian lluvia means "[they] announce rain" (probably Google Translate read "herald" as the plural verb and anunciar can mean "to herald" weather like "las nubes anuncian lluvia"), though you could make it a new word, "anuncialluvia".

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-12, 02:56 AM
Anuncian lluvia means "[they] announce rain" (probably Google Translate read "herald" as the plural verb and anunciar can mean "to herald" weather like "las nubes anuncian lluvia"), though you could make it a new word, "anuncialluvia".

3 Years of High School Spanish and none of it took. I try not to use Google Translate too often, but it's occasionally useful. Thanks for the proper translation.

And now...on to the Gullah analog:
The Basara

The Basara are an eclectic people from many different parts of the world. They were originally a Native Tribe who lived along the southeastern coast of the Dominion and the Baas Peninsula. When the original colonists arrived, they elected to enslave the local Basara populace for field work. These were the same colonial peoples who would one day form part of the J'amatu, and they had brought along slaves of their own from the Old World (a far less developed region). These imported slaves interbred with the local natives to create a wildly different culture than in Coterois. When the current Imperial Race colonized the New World and displaced the local slave-owning elite, these people became the lowest class citizens, and eventually interbred culturally with their freed former slaves.

The land of the Basara was always wet and marshy, but excellent for certain crops such as rice. When Ironmen came around, many were sent to Baas in order to increase the rice supply through efficiency. At first the Basara detested these machine-men, as both their local and imported slave roots featured anti-magical overtones. But over time they became part of the landscape and the memory of slavery was fresh enough to where the Basara didn't like to see it in any form. Baas became the first state to illegalize slavery. When the Kinstrife began, Basara peoples flocked to the Loyalist camps in drove to enlist. Post-Kinstrife, the Ironmen are considered as Basara as anyone else born on Baas.

The Basara language is also called Beis, and is a blend of the original native tongue, that of their former oppressors, the language of the imported slave populace and recently has been showing signs of Ironmen jargon entering common usage.

A common myth of the Basara is of the Bone Hag. The Hag is a witch without skin that seeks to strip the flesh of those who sleep so she can have some. She otherwise drinks people's dreams and takes their breath as they sleep. Heavy snoring keeps her away as she cannot stand loud noises.

ForzaFiori
2012-08-12, 11:39 PM

I've only learned a little about them, but it's a culture common to the coastal regions and barrier islands of the SE United States (South Carolina and Georgia mostly) that is mixture of the various African cultures that were brought over by slaves. They have their own language (Geechee, I think) that sounds very similar to some of creole languages found in the Caribbean. It's based on English with alot of African loanwords and grammar/phrases. Some of their more famous contributions to American culture is the "Hag", common up and down the east coast in folk stories, as well as the term "goober" for peanuts, and the Br'er Rabbit stories. They're also famous for their woven baskets.

Oh, and there was this really awesome kids TV show called Gullah Gullah Island. I loved it as a kid.

Landis963
2012-08-13, 11:03 PM
I've only learned a little about them, but it's a culture common to the coastal regions and barrier islands of the SE United States (South Carolina and Georgia mostly) that is mixture of the various African cultures that were brought over by slaves. They have their own language (Geechee, I think) that sounds very similar to some of creole languages found in the Caribbean. It's based on English with alot of African loanwords and grammar/phrases. Some of their more famous contributions to American culture is the "Hag", common up and down the east coast in folk stories, as well as the term "goober" for peanuts, and the Br'er Rabbit stories. They're also famous for their woven baskets.

Oh, and there was this really awesome kids TV show called Gullah Gullah Island. I loved it as a kid.

What do you think of Ninja's version? :smallsmile: You know, since you're the closest thing this thread has to an expert.

ForzaFiori
2012-08-13, 11:16 PM
Looks pretty cool. The mixed culture, wetland environment and all fit with everything I've heard about Gullah people. I wish I knew more, but I live on the wrong side of SC - up in the mountains instead of at the coast - so there isn't a whole lot around here about them.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-14, 12:14 AM
Looks pretty cool. The mixed culture, wetland environment and all fit with everything I've heard about Gullah people. I wish I knew more, but I live on the wrong side of SC - up in the mountains instead of at the coast - so there isn't a whole lot around here about them.

I mostly used Wikipedia to write all that, and it appears you've confirmed the accuracy of the Wiki if nothing else. I'd never heard of Gullah before this, so it was nice to find out something new.

Also, yes. Gullah Gullah Island was pretty good when I was growing up. The theme song still bounces around my skull sometimes.:smalltongue:

Landis963
2012-08-14, 05:59 PM
Zap, should one of those "Extra Space" posts be for the backstory, i.e. what led to people coming over to the continent which now holds the Continent? Because I noticed you are silent on the secret of the Mahigan Mafia, as well as a particular Old World faction currently trying to take over Coterois. Also, I thought we renamed the Rectorum, or did that ever get decided?

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-14, 07:33 PM
Hey guys! I like the work on the Basara people so far! What is life like amongst them? Do they settle in large cities, or only villages and small towns? Are they active members of the Dominion, or do they keep to themselves? What is the stereotype of Basara outside their homeland? What do they think of outsiders? The history is great so far; how does that affect their present?

And let's add to the Thunderbird mythos. Keeping in mind that preference for possibility, I'd like to make your description of the biological differences something like a scientific theory espoused by Tokarev. In other cultures, they may be much more mystical about the origins of the Thunderbird. That sort of stuff is great for flavor! What are some of the other environments with a unique take on the Thunderbird?

Mountain: Seen as terrors and known for their lighting bolts. Many of them roost in the mountains, and the peaks and canyons ring with their clamor.
Plains: Seen as the bringers of rain and great winds. There are not many of the plains Thunderbirds, but they are large and fearsome.
Desert: A behemoth that brings tumult to the sands once each year. It is solitary in its legendary size.

As for the Mahigan Mafia, I had totally forgot! We talked about them being werewolves... what (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BlVyb5I6X2M/Tq_qGWXB1TI/AAAAAAAAGqQ/k0ajmalHrSY/s1600/Wolfman.jpg) kind (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uuWSOEAIs90/ScfZL-AMkOI/AAAAAAAAAZY/gcVXD1qus2c/s400/SH+concept+post+werewolf+Greys.png) of werewolves (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xDhGHAldQ4w/UAcIL84hMFI/AAAAAAAALDk/apoxpOvCfuw/s1600/Ted_Nasmith_-_Transformed.jpg) should they be?

I also picture them being kind of a "middle-class/everyman" kind of organization, compared to the street gangs of Firstport and the corrupt undead elite of Coterois. What do you guys think?

Coterois Vampires are a must-have. I figured I'd just watch Interview With the Vampire and let my imagination correct the mistakes. :smalltongue:

I feel like we might have changed Rectorum, but I can't remember what we changed it to. Suggestions? They're the secretive "behind everything" Illuminati group, so I was trying to think of an ominous latin name.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-14, 09:44 PM
Hey guys! I like the work on the Basara people so far! What is life like amongst them? Do they settle in large cities, or only villages and small towns? Are they active members of the Dominion, or do they keep to themselves? What is the stereotype of Basara outside their homeland? What do they think of outsiders? The history is great so far; how does that affect their present?

I'd imagine Basara have a very insular culture, preferring to keep to themselves and keep their traditions relatively unchanged since the time of Norton. They live in farming villages, and their land is considered very underdeveloped in an urban sense. There might be a rather unkind stereotype of them being wet constantly (hot marshland and flooded rice fields). I would think though that they are fairly friendly to outsiders (tourists, academics and the like).

The Basara should be a fairly poor, but slowly developing group. Outside forces want to modernize the land, while the locals want things to remain as they were.

And let's add to the Thunderbird mythos. Keeping in mind that preference for possibility, I'd like to make your description of the biological differences something like a scientific theory espoused by Tokarev. In other cultures, they may be much more mystical about the origins of the Thunderbird. That sort of stuff is great for flavor! What are some of the other environments with a unique take on the Thunderbird?
-snip-

Sounds cool, although I think the examples I had were a lot different. I'd only change the Plains Thunderbirds to be known for their Lightning storms just because such would be exceedingly dangerous in a huge plain filled with burnable grass. And Desert dwellers should logically look well upon Thunderbirds when they bring rain to their homes.

As for the Mahigan Mafia, I had totally forgot! We talked about them being werewolves... what (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BlVyb5I6X2M/Tq_qGWXB1TI/AAAAAAAAGqQ/k0ajmalHrSY/s1600/Wolfman.jpg) kind (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uuWSOEAIs90/ScfZL-AMkOI/AAAAAAAAAZY/gcVXD1qus2c/s400/SH+concept+post+werewolf+Greys.png) of werewolves (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xDhGHAldQ4w/UAcIL84hMFI/AAAAAAAALDk/apoxpOvCfuw/s1600/Ted_Nasmith_-_Transformed.jpg) should they be?

I also picture them being kind of a "middle-class/everyman" kind of organization, compared to the street gangs of Firstport and the corrupt undead elite of Coterois. What do you guys think?

I like the idea of the Werewolves being like the old black-and-white Wolf Man movies. Less logistics for things like where does their mass go and what happens to their clothes (they should still get a bit bigger though). The Firstport street gangs are awfully thuggish, but they play at civility (Irish Mob), while the Coterois Messieurs Morts are quite civil and elegant with a cruel streak (Italian), I think the Mahigan Mobs should be absolutely business-like, but utterly sadistic when crossed (Russian). Sure, each one of them is a raging beast of power and hunger, but they keep it in check because it's bad for business. They have a strict hierarchy that few deviate from (excepting inter-gang wars), and a strong sense of order and compassion. But their anger is truly Biblical when aroused.

Coterois Vampires are a must-have. I figured I'd just watch Interview With the Vampire and let my imagination correct the mistakes. :smalltongue:

Try watching the BBC's Being Human, and note how wonderfully the Vampires are there. Best Vampires. Best.

I feel like we might have changed Rectorum, but I can't remember what we changed it to. Suggestions? They're the secretive "behind everything" Illuminati group, so I was trying to think of an ominous latin name.

Umbra Lectors, or Shadow Readers. The Simulacrum? Don't remember what we originally chose, but here's some that might work.

ForzaFiori
2012-08-14, 10:10 PM
Sounds cool, although I think the examples I had were a lot different. I'd only change the Plains Thunderbirds to be known for their Lightning storms just because such would be exceedingly dangerous in a huge plain filled with burnable grass. And Desert dwellers should logically look well upon Thunderbirds when they bring rain to their homes.

In most deserts, rains are both good and bad. yea, you need the water, but when it rains in most deserts, it POURS. Flash floods are incredibly common, and most desert plants aren't equipped to deal with large amounts of water, and the erosion is atrocious. Also, since in most places the rains aren't enough to grow your plants (which is why nearly all desert civilizations appear around rivers or oases.), rain may actually be considered a bad thing, while the river water is the good water (although they usually flood too - desert life is pretty tough)

Landis963
2012-08-15, 08:53 PM
I'd imagine Basara have a very insular culture, preferring to keep to themselves and keep their traditions relatively unchanged since the time of Norton. They live in farming villages, and their land is considered very underdeveloped in an urban sense. There might be a rather unkind stereotype of them being wet constantly (hot marshland and flooded rice fields). I would think though that they are fairly friendly to outsiders (tourists, academics and the like).

The Basara should be a fairly poor, but slowly developing group. Outside forces want to modernize the land, while the locals want things to remain as they were.

Why don't we give them a hospitality tradition, where visitors would be given a hot meal and possibly a place to stay? That would lend itself well to an outside stereotype of "mean, wet place, nice, wet people" with the relative crudeness of the meal leading to the reputation of old-fashioned-ness.

Agreed on this, but given Forza's 2c on the subject the Desert Thunderbirds should be seen as more of a mixed blessing than a straight one.

I like the idea of the Werewolves being like the old black-and-white Wolf Man movies. Less logistics for things like where does their mass go and what happens to their clothes (they should still get a bit bigger though). The Firstport street gangs are awfully thuggish, but they play at civility (Irish Mob), while the Coterois Messieurs Morts are quite civil and elegant with a cruel streak (Italian), I think the Mahigan Mobs should be absolutely business-like, but utterly sadistic when crossed (Russian). Sure, each one of them is a raging beast of power and hunger, but they keep it in check because it's bad for business. They have a strict hierarchy that few deviate from (excepting inter-gang wars), and a strong sense of order and compassion. But their anger is truly Biblical when aroused.

Funny, I don't really like the Wolf Man version at all. It has fewer plot holes, yeah, but I'm not certain why a werewolf would bother with clothes at all, unless it was an uncontrolled transformation (as it so often is...). But as I recall, that's not what I originally pitched when I suggested them. Let me see if I can find the post.

Here we are:

My thought was having the physics of Harry Potter animagi crossed with the normal trappings of werewolfdom - can turn every few hours as a function of fatigue, with the cooldown period getting shorter as the full moon approaches, with the changed form of a dire wolf (FUTURE EDIT: or a cross between that and the bipedal wolf form in Link #2). Intelligence is mostly retained, but smell, hearing and id are all amplified at the cost of colorblindness.

Try watching the BBC's Being Human, and note how wonderfully the Vampires are there. Best Vampires. Best.

The American Being Human has very few changes from the original, mostly tweaking the strengths and weaknesses to a resembling-but-legally-distinctive version. It's supposedly worth a look as well, but I've never cared enough to read about it beyond the recaps on io9. Agreed in that one of those two should be the path our vamps take (and really, they are in fact very similar).

Umbra Lectors, or Shadow Readers. The Simulacrum? Don't remember what we originally chose, but here's some that might work.

I actually have the old thread up next to me while writing this. Let me see if I can find it.

Ah yes, the Excelsii. Another possible name from the last thread: the Semper Sursum. I'll put a link to the old thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229431) so that we can look back through at our leisure. (BTW, could you get it locked or something so we don't have two copies of the same setting floating around?)

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-15, 10:18 PM
Why don't we give them a hospitality tradition, where visitors would be given a hot meal and possibly a place to stay? That would lend itself well to an outside stereotype of "mean, wet place, nice, wet people" with the relative crudeness of the meal leading to the reputation of old-fashioned-ness.

Sounds good.

Funny, I don't really like the Wolf Man version at all. It has fewer plot holes, yeah, but I'm not certain why a werewolf would bother with clothes at all, unless it was an uncontrolled transformation (as it so often is...). But as I recall, that's not what I originally pitched when I suggested them. Let me see if I can find the post.

Yeah, alright. I always liked using the Wolf Man look just because no one else seems to. :smalltongue: But the other way seems more realistic.

The American Being Human has very few changes from the original, mostly tweaking the strengths and weaknesses to a resembling-but-legally-distinctive version. It's supposedly worth a look as well, but I've never cared enough to read about it beyond the recaps on io9. Agreed in that one of those two should be the path our vamps take (and really, they are in fact very similar).

But the BBC one was better.:smallfrown:

Landis963
2012-08-15, 10:30 PM
Yeah, alright. I always liked using the Wolf Man look just because no one else seems to. :smalltongue: But the other way seems more realistic.

Of course, if we're going for realism, it would be better to just have something like this (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110114145509/ppc/images/b/b9/Lupin_werewolf.gif) rather than something more badass. (In case you can't tell, we should cheat in favor of badass)

But the BBC one was better.:smallfrown:

Probably. I haven't really seen either one, so I can't comment. Just noting that there is, in fact, a difference in the way they each treat their vampires.

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-20, 08:03 PM
OK! So we've got a little bit about the Basara, and we're having trouble settling on a visual representation of our Russian-esque werewolf mobsters. Here's an important question: should the mobsters be publicly werewolves? Or do you think that's something better left to the realm of rumors and secrets?

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-20, 11:59 PM
If we go with secretly lycanthropic, it lets GMs hide the fact initially from their players, allowing them to pick a fight with the Mahigan Mob and get horribly mutilated drawn into a mystery.

I'd still prefer public werewolves. If their Old World culture was heavy into lycanthropy, then it would appear like a RL instance of a group holding onto old traditions. The general populace dislikes them because of their Lycanthropy ways at first, but by the time of the Post-Bellum Era they've integrated nicely and their ways are almost celebrated. There's even Lycanfest (Oktoberfest), where the Mob pays for a big communal party. The beer's cold, the werewolves are transformed (should be able to think/act human in animal form), but the meat's a little rare. :smalltongue:

Plus, depending on how far potential GM's want to place their adventures forward in time from the setting standard, Werewolves might become the target of mid-Great War Teutophobia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-German_sentiment#United_States), and there's lots of stuff there that can be used (I personally always think "German" when I think of werewolf tails tales).

Landis963
2012-08-21, 06:58 AM
I think they should keep it a secret. Let's be honest, the lupine form is their biggest ace-in-the-hole, which means that it's very unlikely they should advertise it. Of course, we can keep the communal Mob-paid party, and even keep the wolf theme, but realistically they would do their best to sell the illusion that the wolves and the people are two different things. There's even an easy justification for it: "the local lord in in the Old World killed or took all our hunting dogs, so we formed an understanding with local wolf packs so we could have something to eat besides table scraps."

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-21, 09:05 AM
I like where you guys are headed. I totally support Ninja's perception of the Mahigan Mob as more German (that's always been my perception of werewolves too!), but I think I prefer to make the "worst kept secret" in the Dominion. In the same way that everybody knew that Al Capone was a mobster even though he was strictly a "legitimate business man," I think people in this mafia should be obviously werewolves, despite the fact that they take care never to transform in front of people. Maybe they all have huge mutton chops as a symbol of their membership?

At the table, this can come out in a few ways. I think my favorite, though, would be something like

The man standing before you is immaculately dressed for a middle-class fellow. Several golden rings adorn his fingers, and he carries a cane crowned with a large, clear gem. Perhaps it's the thick, long sideburns he wears, or perhaps it's a the strange glint in his--yellow?--eyes, but the man gives off a almost feral aura despite the finery he wears.

I think Landis is dead-on about the Lycanfest having to do with the mob's "veneration for local wildlife." Maybe "there were a lot of wolves" in the area when they arrived, and since then some people tell tales of large, humanoid wolves prowling about. What is perhaps strangest of all is that the wolves didn't migrate as the city grew, and now it is not uncommon to see a pack of wolves stalking down the distant end of an alley in this booming metropolis.

Whaddayathink?

Landis963
2012-08-21, 10:02 AM
But again, there's a difference between Capone the "legit business man" and Mahigan Mob leader the boss "man". The latter is, to my mind, a much higher caliber secret than Capone's, if only because being a werewolf gives your enemies the "they're unnatural!" defense, while the former only has the illegality of it all. Agreed in that tufts of it should poke through, but it should be a higher-strength masquerade than what you're suggesting, IMO.

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-21, 04:45 PM
But again, there's a difference between Capone the "legit business man" and Mahigan Mob leader the boss "man". The latter is, to my mind, a much higher caliber secret than Capone's, if only because being a werewolf gives your enemies the "they're unnatural!" defense, while the former only has the illegality of it all. Agreed in that tufts of it should poke through, but it should be a higher-strength masquerade than what you're suggesting, IMO.

I can respect that, and I think it's just a matter of how you spin it. For my money, I think the whole "Oh, well they're 'just businessmen' but everybody knows there's something...shall we say 'wolfish'?...about them," seems to blend really well with the kind of exaggerated stuff we've been coming up with so far. President Lincoln is hooked up to a gargantuan steam monstrosity, vampires run New Orleans, and the Mexicans are busy worshipping aliens as gods, so it doesn't seem like such a stretch to me. In fact, it seems like a pretty tall tale, which is exactly what I'm going for.

So. The Rectorum. What if we changed the name to the Enigmati? Too heavy-handed?

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-21, 05:54 PM
In fact, it seems like a pretty tall tail, which is exactly what I'm going for.

Fixed that for you...:smallamused:

So. The Rectorum. What if we changed the name to the Enigmati? Too heavy-handed?

I wonder whether or not a secret society would call itself a secret society, even amongst themselves. I would go with Custodes Fides, Latin for Guardians of the Truth/Faith/Honor/Trust. It sounds quite noble, as people who perform such duties will like to think of themselves. And it sounds a little like Semper Fidelis, the US Marine slogan.

Landis963
2012-08-21, 07:39 PM
I can respect that, and I think it's just a matter of how you spin it. For my money, I think the whole "Oh, well they're 'just businessmen' but everybody knows there's something...shall we say 'wolfish'?...about them," seems to blend really well with the kind of exaggerated stuff we've been coming up with so far. President Lincoln is hooked up to a gargantuan steam monstrosity, vampires run New Orleans, and the Mexicans are busy worshipping aliens as gods, so it doesn't seem like such a stretch to me. In fact, it seems like a pretty tall tale, which is exactly what I'm going for.

Sounds good to me.

vampires run New Orleans,

Vampires are a minor faction, just one of many currently vying for control of Coterois. Remember the fish guys?

We have a name for them. The Excelsii. If you want me to dig out the post from the first thread, I'd be happy to do so.

:smallamused: nyeheh, nyehehe

I wonder whether or not a secret society would call itself a secret society, even amongst themselves. I would go with Custodes Fides, Latin for Guardians of the Truth/Faith/Honor/Trust. It sounds quite noble, as people who perform such duties will like to think of themselves. And it sounds a little like Semper Fidelis, the US Marine slogan.

Again, we already have a name for them, but if they still needed a name, that would work well.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-21, 08:57 PM
Vampires are a minor faction, just one of many currently vying for control of Coterois. Remember the fish guys?

I thought that the fish-guys (um, did they have a set name?) were an antagonistic bunch of Cosmic Horror Worshipers who dwelt beneath the water. Or that they were a mutant race that ran from building to building in the Underwater Biome portion of Coterois, asking residents very politely, "Would you like to read some literature? It's about the F'taghn."

We have a name for them. The Excelsii. If you want me to dig out the post from the first thread, I'd be happy to do so.

I only posted another name because I thought Zap was still looking. Maybe he just missed the earlier post.

:smallamused: nyeheh, nyehehe

It was a slow one over the plate! You have to swing at those!

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-21, 09:03 PM
Whew, thanks! I hate typos!:smallbiggrin:

Right right. I was just being facetious. :smalltongue:

Oh, right! Sorry, I had completely spaced. I like Ninja's idea that the group shouldn't have an ominous name, but I like Excelsii better than Ninja's suggestion. I really prefer to keep names as obvious as possible when it comes to pronunciation. I like the meaning behind Ninja's suggestion, but there are too many ways that I can see it being mispronounced.

ForzaFiori
2012-08-21, 09:14 PM
How many different ways to pronounce Latin are there? I always found it and it's entire language family (except French) incredibly easy to learn to pronounce. All pure vowels, and very few letters with double sounds, unlike in English.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-21, 11:02 PM
All pure vowels, and very few letters with double sounds, unlike in English.

It's not English's fault! His parents weren't related language groups. He's gotta make do with 2-3 vocabularies and he's already dropped his second-person pronouns! What more do you want? :smalltongue:

@Zap: I'm okay with Excelsii. Actually, I had a question: How was Excelsii founded?

Wyntonian
2012-08-21, 11:56 PM
I like Ninja's idea that the group shouldn't have an ominous name, but I like Excelsii better than Ninja's suggestion. I really prefer to keep names as obvious as possible when it comes to pronunciation. I like the meaning behind Ninja's suggestion, but there are too many ways that I can see it being mispronounced.

It's better than Hidden Secret Guys Club.

Am I right in thinking it's pronounced Eck-Sell-See-Eye?

Landis963
2012-08-22, 06:17 AM
It's better than Hidden Secret Guys Club.

Am I right in thinking it's pronounced Eck-Sell-See-Eye?

That's what I'm assuming, yeah.

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-22, 09:23 AM
Point by point!

Excelsii: I picture it being pronounced "Eck-Sell-See-Eye," yes.

Without dwelling too much on it, I personally find Latin pretty easy to pronounce as well, but I know there are people out there that struggle with it. I can't be there to tell everyone how something is pronounced, so I'd rather make it as easy as possible from the get-go. :smallsmile:

As far as how they were founded, I imagine the story is that they have been around since before the people of the Dominion came to the New World. They have always had their fingers in the affairs of mankind, and at different times they have held goals that could be seen either as helpful or hurtful to the common man. That said, I don't think we have anything official. I'll see if I can get a write-up together by the weekend.

...But after all this has been said, I'm changing my mind. Hidden Secret Guys Club is what we have to go with. They only hold their meetings in backyard tree houses, and there are no. girls. allowed. :smalltongue:

Fish'tagn folk
The only thing I remember about these guys is that they exists, and I'm pretty sure they were supposed to fulfill some sort of boogeyman niche in the lives of the people of Coterois. Should we work on them next?

As far as a name is concerned, I'm not really sure. I'd like it to be nonsense words (like the Cthulhu language), but I don't think I want it to be such an obvious homage. Then again, maybe an obvious homage is exactly what would be appropriate. Thoughts?

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-22, 03:03 PM
Fish'tagn folk
The only thing I remember about these guys is that they exists, and I'm pretty sure they were supposed to fulfill some sort of boogeyman niche in the lives of the people of Coterois. Should we work on them next?

As far as a name is concerned, I'm not really sure. I'd like it to be nonsense words (like the Cthulhu language), but I don't think I want it to be such an obvious homage. Then again, maybe an obvious homage is exactly what would be appropriate. Thoughts?

Dude. Fish'tagn. Amirite?

Actually, perhaps we could give them a Cajun-style name? Like how Cajuns were Acadians (say it fast enough to see how) before, the Fish-folk could have been the Les Mejues, and post-transformation have become Mashar peoples?

Wyntonian
2012-08-22, 07:04 PM
...But after all this has been said, I'm changing my mind. Hidden Secret Guys Club is what we have to go with. They only hold their meetings in backyard tree houses, and there are no. girls. allowed. :smalltongue:

I dunno if you ever watched the old Avatar series, but there's this thing where literally everyone who counts as a mentor is part of the same Order of the White Lotus. Would it be terrible to incorporate something about how in every town there's at least one kid who's part of the Hidden Secret Guys Club, a pan-global organization dedicated to messing with bugs and dropping wet things on girls?

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-08-22, 07:21 PM
I dunno if you ever watched the old Avatar series, but there's this thing where literally everyone who counts as a mentor is part of the same Order of the White Lotus. Would it be terrible to incorporate something about how in every town there's at least one kid who's part of the Hidden Secret Guys Club, a pan-global organization dedicated to messing with bugs and dropping wet things on girls?

We shall know them by their traditional cow-lick hairstyles. :smallcool:

Zap Dynamic
2012-08-22, 07:46 PM
Dude. Fish'tagn. Amirite?

Actually, perhaps we could give them a Cajun-style name? Like how Cajuns were Acadians (say it fast enough to see how) before, the Fish-folk could have been the Les Mejues, and post-transformation have become Mashar peoples?

I like it! Let's go with it.

Canon.

Landis963
2012-09-01, 01:51 PM
So, What's next?

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-09-02, 12:44 AM
So, What's next?

How are we on the Natives out west? We've got Thunderbirds running around like dragons in standard D&D, but what else?

Zap Dynamic
2012-09-02, 10:44 AM
I think the western natives are a good place to go at the moment.

So far we've got:

Disenfranchised eastern natives. These guys either live in the remnants of the eastern wild or on the plains, and either way they're basically bandits/terrorists.
Cooperative plains natives. These guys form a kind of shipping guild to transport goods safely across the midwest. At least on the surface, they get along with the Dominion, and may even have representation in the governing body of the nation.
Aloof mountain natives. These guys are the last remnant of unsullied native culture. A couple of decades before the current time, the Dominion tried to move into the mountains, but were beaten back by the stalwart mountain natives. The Dominion learned its lesson, and now the mountain natives keep a watchful eye on their land.
Rebellious western natives. These guys are the north pacific-esque culture that has always fought internally, and is totally willing to keep fighting the Dominion. However, many tribes are also willing to accept Dominion aid to dominate their enemies.
Mysterious northern natives. These guys live up in Achalka. They're into heavy furs, axes, and sleds. I remember we talked about these guys being a "American Vikings" expy, but beyond that we don't have a lot of info. I think they ought to be a cross between vikings and inuit culture, with more of the latter than the former. Really naturalized.

First off, would you guys rather tackle these one at a time? Or would you rather we each take 1-2 and work on them at the same time?

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-09-03, 11:08 PM
Mysterious northern natives. These guys live up in Achalka. They're into heavy furs, axes, and sleds. I remember we talked about these guys being a "American Vikings" expy, but beyond that we don't have a lot of info. I think they ought to be a cross between vikings and inuit culture, with more of the latter than the former. Really naturalized.

Behold the Ochean, the Snowmen, the Warriors of the Winter Realm. Hailing from Iscandialand in the Old World, the original Karls (Vikings) began settling the northern reaches of the New World (Frisgard) centuries before the Imperial precursors. Low on supplies in the strange environs, the Karls eventually were forced to accept aid from the local natives, the Ileutians. Intermingling between the two races picked up swiftly as the incredible steel-working and sailing traditions of the Karls made them invaluable companions to the Ileutians. They eventually merged their societies during a particularly harsh winter, where the greater technology of the Karls allowed for far more efficient whale-farming, creating a surplus of blubber and oils that allowed the two to survive.

The Ocheans make up a large portion of the natives in the north, though they are not alone. Smaller tribes co-exist alongside them, including Hyiput, Nsim and Koroku people. They make up nearly 60% of modern Achalkans. Their tribal symbol, the Larch Tree, is emblazoned on the national flag in bright red, a hint at the Karlic origins. The old Karlic Tartans were also continued through family lines, now become the most popular pattern of traditional clothing in Achalka (including kilts).

Ocheans appear very similar to other Natives, though with bright blonde hair and gray eyes. Their society is based closely off the sea. Whaling and fishing provide most people food in Achalka, and various byproducts of this create whole industries. They are culturally very easy-going, being the product of peaceful co-existence and trading. The prevailing philosophy of the Ochean seems to be "Live and let live". Because of this, they got along famously with the Old World settlers of Achalka and later the Imperials.

Ochean culture contains many traditions and stories. Their belief system is highly shamanistic, focusing on the oneness of the world and the idea of all things possessing a spirit. Some Karlic gods were maintained in this system, though more as names for the natural forces these deities once controlled. They also lack any sort of afterlife, and are fairly fond of magic.

Some monsters of the north include the Qualik (a hairy, green-skinned, long-nailed sea beast that would hunt along the shore for misbehaving children), a Tuurngaq (sometimes helpful, other times malevolent spirit), and Saumen-kar (huge, hairy men who prowl the wastes [bigfoot]).

Names of monsters somewhat changed from the wiki page on Inuit mythology. Need better name for the Karls.

gkathellar
2012-09-15, 07:51 AM
So I haven't had a chance to read through the whole thread yet, but this is looking pretty good so far, and it's always good to see people enjoying and doing work with Legend. I'll try to keep up with the thread, but if you have any mechanical questions/concerns/etc. while working on the setting, shoot me a PM or drop by the Legend IRC.