PDA

View Full Version : Spell Component Pouch Shenanigans

VGLordR2
2012-08-09, 03:53 PM
Hey, guys. I was recently thinking about the spell component pouch, and I had an idea. The SCP is assumed to have any material component whose value is not given. So, I decided to look through the Spell Compendium for interesting things that one could get for free from the pouch. I found various useful material components, such as candles, trail rations, onions, and a host of other things that could be retrieved from a spell component pouch. Then, I stumbled upon a spell called Miser's Envy. The material component for this spell? One copper piece. As one can pull items from the pouch as a free action, it is easy to get arbitrary high amounts of money from the beginning of the game.

While I haven't found anything by RAW that would prevent something like this, it is more than likely that I have missed something obvious. Either way, it's a humorous interpretation of the rules. What do you guys think?

Zale
2012-08-09, 03:55 PM
Hey, guys. I was recently thinking about the spell component pouch, and I had an idea. The SCP is assumed to have any material component whose value is not given. So, I decided to look through the Spell Compendium for interesting things that one could get for free from the pouch. I found various useful material components, such as candles, trail rations, onions, and a host of other things that could be retrieved from a spell component pouch. Then, I stumbled upon a spell called Miser's Envy. The material component for this spell? One copper piece. As one can pull items from the pouch as a free action, it is easy to get arbitrary high amounts of money from the beginning of the game.

While I haven't found anything by RAW that would prevent something like this, it is more than likely that I have missed something obvious. Either way, it's a humorous interpretation of the rules. What do you guys think?

You have an infinite number of live spiders at your disposal.

kitcik
2012-08-09, 04:03 PM

You don't think the value of one copper piece is given?

CyMage
2012-08-09, 04:05 PM

The problem I see with that is that the value is given for 1 copper piece. It's 1 copper...

Deepbluediver
2012-08-09, 04:08 PM
A full spell component pouch is worth what, 5gp, right?

I think we can safely rule that no matter how you stack the ingredients, no one crafting a spell component pouch to sell you for 5g would put more than 499 cp in there.

Also, I've never liked the rule RAW that you had an infinite number of free actions every turn. Our group usually played it as RAI that you got 6 free actions (1 per second) and that you could take them at the same time as other actions.

VGLordR2
2012-08-09, 04:09 PM
The problem I see with that is that the value is given for 1 copper piece. It's 1 copper...

That's what I thought, too. Then I saw page 181 of the PHB. It states that if a spell does not have a superscript M (which it doesn't), then that item can be found in a spell component pouch (I forget the exact wording, but it says something like that).

Alabenson
2012-08-09, 11:49 PM
That's what I thought, too. Then I saw page 181 of the PHB. It states that if a spell does not have a superscript M (which it doesn't), then that item can be found in a spell component pouch (I forget the exact wording, but it says something like that).

By RAW, your correct. That said, given some of the other bizarre things that are technically RAW legal, I'd say this is a case where the DM will more than likely put a kibosh on the insanity before it gets out of control, possibly while lobbing a book at you.

The problem is essentially that RAW in D&D 3.5 reads as though it were edited by a group of pot smoking chimps.

Thomasinx
2012-08-09, 11:57 PM
By RAW, your correct. That said, given some of the other bizarre things that are technically RAW legal, I'd say this is a case where the DM will more than likely put a kibosh on the insanity before it gets out of control, possibly while lobbing a book at you.

The problem is essentially that RAW in D&D 3.5 reads as though it were edited by a group of pot smoking chimps.

One thing to keep in mind also, is that just because the spell component pouch contains everything, doesn't necessarily mean that it contains an infinite amount of everything.

Most DM's don't bother, but I think it's written somewhere that you need to periodically refill the pouch. There's not an infinite number of live spiders in your pouch, but you might have one or two. You might have a few copper pieces in your pouch as well.

I'll go try to find where/if that's written...