PDA

View Full Version : Magic Hating Classes

Popertop
2012-08-09, 05:14 PM
I found a prestige class in one of the Faerun books that was forbidden to use magic or wear magic items, but I remember it being absolutely terrible. They even had to destroy a set amount of magical items every day! The only thing it had going for it was more inherent ability score bonuses, but it didn't add up to much, and they didn't get more than that in terms of class abilities.

But it got me thinking: are there other classes like this that actually work?

I'm sure it could be made bearable with a few tweaks, like only using magic items that destroy magic, or only anti-magic etc.
As well as actual class features.

Is there anything like this as written, aside from the PrC in Faerun?

If not I might try my hand at homebrew.

nedz
2012-08-09, 06:06 PM
VoP springs to mind, but I don't think that any of the BoED PrCs require you to take that feat, though most of them allow you too.

Randomguy
2012-08-09, 06:10 PM
There's the Witch Slayer, which gets an ability that disables spellcasting for a round, and the Occult Slayer, which gets some bonuses when fighting spellcasters.

Aliek
2012-08-09, 06:15 PM
Apostle of Peace does require you to take VoP. However, it also adds a clause that you can use 'defensive items' or something. Also, you gotta take vow of peace too, so no more killing. It doesn't 'make up' for it, in any meaningful use of the word, but it can be a fun class to play with.

Also, sped up casting does have its quirks if you expand your spell list somehow(Ahem... sovereign speaker). You can still be an awesome enchanter/illusionist with the correct domains.

Arbane
2012-08-09, 06:19 PM
Pathfinder has Barbarians who take the Superstitious rage power - they get a nice boost to their saves versus ALL spells, spell-likes, or supernatural powers, but they _have_ to save versus all magic aimed at them, even friendly spells, while raging. They can still use magic items and their own (Su) powers freely, and they can get some nice anti-magic powers.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-09, 06:44 PM
Every class is a magic-hating class if you're a Karsite (ToM)!

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-08-09, 07:42 PM
Masters of the Wild has the Forsaker, which, assuming it's the unupdated version of the class described in the OP.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-10, 02:11 AM
Every class is a magic-hating class if you're a Karsite (ToM)!

Not warlock. What's that you say? I can shoot myself in the foot to restore my hp? Awesome!