PDA

View Full Version : Desert Dwarf

Dragvandil
2012-08-09, 06:20 PM
Im getting ready to run a Dwarf Berserker with the Arid Heartland feature. (because I'm going to be a primary defender. I may still pick a fighter, but thats not what this is about.)

Has anyone else ran Dwarves from the desert? And any advice?

Tegu8788
2012-08-09, 09:17 PM
Shave him, and make him obsess over things.

Ashdate
2012-08-09, 10:41 PM
Take Craft: Sand Candles. If your DM points out that "craft" no longer exists in 4e, punch him in the nose like a good Sand Dwarf would.

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-08-10, 12:59 PM
I'm not quite sure what the question is.. Are you asking us how to roleplay a desert dwarf, or how to construct a build that reflects that your dwarf is from the desert?

If it's the first, then you could just look into dark sun dwarves, but if it's the second, then, I dunno, you could describe how useful your powers were for killing the [insert desert monster here] that plagued your nomadic dwarf tribe?

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-08-10, 01:45 PM
Give him amazing abilities in shoveling and sand-castle construction. You'll want to max the balls out of Endurance too.

tarlison
2012-09-03, 09:09 PM
Well as for deser dwarf he might prefer lighter or curvier weapons , I think a schimitar or a falcion might ako him look more like a desert dwarf than carrying a battle axe or great axe, if he must use an axe I think a hand axe or a throwing hammer will work just fine , an urgosh or a spear or some
Pole arm might work too! And I think a warden might fit the bill better than a fighter hybrid or multiclass with a barbarian to get that berserker feel :-) imagin a dwarf with a long bears wearing a flowing Arabian inspired male dress complete with head gear over a hide armor and a falcion slang around his hips, when in battle he scream a battle cry draw his falcion and charge to the enemy(although the lack of shield will loose him significant amount of defense but man he would really look cool) as desert sands flys everytime he swing his blade.

Adoendithas
2012-09-03, 09:34 PM
Lots of refluffing will help too, of course. Find an attack that blinds them, then say you throw sand in their eyes. :smallbiggrin:

Alan_Pehnereas
2012-09-03, 09:43 PM
Tarlison is on the right track with desert-themed weapons. However, axes and hammers are the dwarves sort of thing. You'll have to decide between the two.

Otherwise, I do also think we need to know - is it development or build that you need desert-styled?

OracleofWuffing
2012-09-03, 10:23 PM
So, um, does he worry about getting sand in his beard, or does he wear that as a symbol of valor?

tarlison
2012-09-03, 11:26 PM
So, um, does he worry about getting sand in his beard, or does he wear that as a symbol of valor?
The headcloth or 'kufiyya' might be use to protect the beard and face from hot desert wind as well as sands , I think they sometimes use it as face mask,I think dwarf wear thier beard as a sign of manhood and manliness
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4745961028453277&id=7961913c38ab5d2a3a383064620730e1

Drglenn
2012-09-04, 12:56 PM
The shield dwarf stuff from the neverwinter campaign setting book may have stuff that could be useful and/or thematic for you. Whilst they're not desert-based they're more surface based than regular dwarves so its a start at least.

Mechanics-wise remember that (as with most, if not all barbarians) dexterity should be your secondary stat. Also you should definitely take Unarmoured Agility: an arid heartland berserker with 16 dex and unarmoured agility and defender's aura up at level 1 has equal ac to a character in full plate and heavy shield, and with raising dex through level up you should be able to keep up ac-wise.