PDA

View Full Version : Morale Bonuses and Mind Blank

Yorae
2012-08-10, 02:47 AM
Can a creature benefit from immunity to mind-affecting effects (as mind blank confers) and a morale bonus at the same time? Is the ruling different between 3.5 and PF?

I was under the impression that morale bonuses were mind-affecting and thus suppressed, but I was looking at the PFSRD lately and noticed that the definition of a morale bonus does not include a statement that it is a mind-affecting effect.

Baka Nikujaga
2012-08-10, 04:06 AM
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms).

Source (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/creatureTypes.html#undead)

Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).

Source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm)
The underlined text in both excerpts were not originally present and used by me as a form of emphasis.

The rulings in both PF and 3E are the same when immune to mind-affecting effects.

[Edit]
However, Mind Blank in PF does not grant a blanket immunity.

This spell also grants a +8 resistance bonus on saving throws against all mind-affecting spells and effects.

Source (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/mindBlank.html#mind-blank)

killianh
2012-08-10, 04:11 AM
If I recall 3.5 had a rule about being allowed to let chosen immunities down for the sake of things such as this, not sure on the source though

mattie_p
2012-08-10, 06:25 AM
killianh, I believe what you are looking for is Voluntarily Giving up a Saving Throw (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow):

A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this quality.

Also see spell resistance and spell immunity:

A creature can voluntarily lower its spell resistance. Doing so is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Once a creature lowers its resistance, it remains down until the creature’s next turn. At the beginning of the creature’s next turn, the creature’s spell resistance automatically returns unless the creature intentionally keeps it down (also a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity).

A creature’s spell resistance never interferes with its own spells, items, or abilities.

A creature with spell immunity avoids the effects of spells and spell-like abilities that directly affect it. This works exactly like spell resistance, except that it cannot be overcome. Sometimes spell immunity is conditional or applies to only spells of a certain kind or level. Spells that do not allow spell resistance are not affected by spell immunity.

Presumably the overcome part means by a caster level check against SR. The PHB notes that elves can choose to be affected by sleep, even though they are immune.

Also, you are fine casting a morale bonus on yourself.

Yorae
2012-08-10, 09:55 AM
[Edit]
However, Mind Blank in PF does not grant a blanket immunity.

This spell also grants a +8 resistance bonus on saving throws against all mind-affecting spells and effects.

Oh wow, hadn't noticed that change. That's a pretty rough nerf, since it won't stack with, and is barely an increase to, something like Superior Resistance. I can't count the number of times in 3.5 games where I've though "wow, good thing I was Mind Blank'd". Blanket immunity to so many spells might be a little unbalanced, I suppose.

Downysole
2012-08-10, 11:13 AM
Mind Blank does not mention any immunities. It only indicates that

"The subject is protected from all devices and spells that detect, influence, or read emotions or thoughts. This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects"

from d20srd.org

I would interpret that to mean that morale bonuses conferred after the target is under the protection of the Mind Blank spell would not be effective. I do not believe that Mink Blank suppresses morale effects conferred before the spell has been cast, however, which is different from spells such as Calm Emotions.

Amazo
2012-08-10, 01:04 PM
My mental image for these things stacking is quite amusing to me even if the rules don't support it.

"I'm really confident in our ability to succeed! Don't ask me why! I have NO idea!"

Downysole
2012-08-10, 02:36 PM
My mental image for these things stacking is quite amusing to me even if the rules don't support it.

"I'm really confident in our ability to succeed! Don't ask me why! I have NO idea!"

The sheer ridiculousness of this line makes it pretty apparent that Mind Blank prevents Morale Effects.

Roguenewb
2012-08-10, 02:46 PM
i don;t think mind blank makes you feel blank...just it looks blank to everyone else.

Hirax
2012-08-10, 02:50 PM
Mind Blank does not mention any immunities. It only indicates that

"The subject is protected from all devices and spells that detect, influence, or read emotions or thoughts. This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects"

from d20srd.org

I would interpret that to mean that morale bonuses conferred after the target is under the protection of the Mind Blank spell would not be effective. I do not believe that Mink Blank suppresses morale effects conferred before the spell has been cast, however, which is different from spells such as Calm Emotions.

"Immunity" is not mentioned in the section on voluntarily forgoing saving throws, and it seems intentionally vague so as to be a catch all for anything that requires a saving throw. I'd say you're fine to have heroism and other spells cast on you when you're under the effects of mind blank.