PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Treant ?

silverwolfer
2012-08-10, 04:46 AM
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=432806
So here this is, as messy as it is.

Level 5 Treant/ Level 1 Mineral Warrior / Level 2 Barbarian/ Level 3 duskblade Spirit shaman/ Level 2 Fist of the Forest.

The part right now I am trying to maybe change is the duskblade section.

I am unarmed focused, and really do not want to go further into barbarian , and overlap on fist of the forest further. I thought about doing duskblade for the later levels spells and enhancements. I have gone spirit shaman, and will now be looking to clean up the feats possibly.

If need be, I can switch my level 14 Int for maybe a level 12 wisdom, charisma right now is a lil out of the question.

I cannot use MOI, Dragon Stuff.

Optimization is not to be cheesy or pun pun. I would like to just clean up the duskblade possibly, or at least maybe pick something else that is more compatible for those levels. That is full bab.

killianh
2012-08-10, 04:57 AM
really you want either fighter for the feats and BAB d10s etc, or maybe bear warrior levels

silverwolfer
2012-08-10, 05:11 AM
To me atlest, when comparing this to the rest of the build, bear warrior just looks yucky, now for the fighter bit, I would want to go with improved grappling or such?

If I went caster, It is mostly as a buffer, and such.

The Intent, is a fast moving flanker with some nice hp pool.

*edit note*

Found a Unarmed cleric god Zuoken war domain, would make it full bab **in essence* Might need to switch about my bonuses from Int to Wis, and maybe find a item for higher level casting of buffs and such.

also looking at warblades

killianh
2012-08-10, 07:54 AM
also looking at warblades

you can never go wrong with a warblade, especially considering you add .5 of any other levels to your initiator level. Not nearly as good as a cleric dip, but great regardless

nedz
2012-08-10, 08:08 AM
A Spellthief build would be funny.

Druid or Spirit Shamen might work instead of Duskblade; SS only need Cha for save DCs, so not an issue with buffs.

silverwolfer
2012-08-10, 10:09 AM
what do you mean initiatory level? Found nothing like that in the TOB for warblade.

Took a look at spirit guide, and figured, as well just use Cleric, spirit shaman is lovely and all, but lacking in anything of worth?

The more I look at things, the more likely I go with war priest style or druid.

I do have a open ear for a PRC thou(besides bear warrior)

Keld Denar
2012-08-10, 10:41 AM
Don't forget, you get your treant slam attacks on top of your unarmed strikes. Lots of attacks, don't forget to power attack!

Initiator level is not in the Warblade section. Ours in the chapter that talks about maneuvers. Its kinda like caster level, but different. It primarily determines which level of maneuvers you can take at each level. If you have an IL of 9, for example, you can learn up to 5th level maneuvers. You have a bunch of racial HD and some class levels, so your IL will start of high and be able to pick up some nice mid level maneuvers.

I'd almost suggest Swordsage instead, though. Get the one desert wind stance that gives fire resistance to counter your fire vulnerability. Plus, I like the idea of a ninja tree that can hide and tumble!

silverwolfer
2012-08-10, 11:15 AM
Don't forget, you get your treant slam attacks on top of your unarmed strikes. Lots of attacks, don't forget to power attack!

Initiator level is not in the Warblade section. Ours in the chapter that talks about maneuvers. Its kinda like caster level, but different. It primarily determines which level of maneuvers you can take at each level. If you have an IL of 9, for example, you can learn up to 5th level maneuvers. You have a bunch of racial HD and some class levels, so your IL will start of high and be able to pick up some nice mid level maneuvers.

I'd almost suggest Swordsage instead, though. Get the one desert wind stance that gives fire resistance to counter your fire vulnerability. Plus, I like the idea of a ninja tree that can hide and tumble!

If I did the unarmed swordsage, would I need to rework my feats?

Keld Denar
2012-08-10, 11:46 AM
Um, not really. You might rearrange the levels a bit to take advantage of the free prereq feat grabbed by UASS, but you don't have to. FotF works nicely with UASS.

Mithril Leaf
2012-08-10, 12:32 PM
Remember to pick up some monk levels so you can have a Treant Monk :smallwink:

silverwolfer
2012-08-10, 12:55 PM
Nah I felt Monk was wasted sort of with the fist of the forest, so went feats+barbarian instead. I will be going I think overall, now that I have read other forums spirit shaman instead,to avoid being over complicated with the things going on with druid.

Urpriest
2012-08-10, 12:56 PM
How are you a level 5 Treant? Treants are ECL 12.

silverwolfer
2012-08-10, 01:14 PM
Savage species

Khedrac
2012-08-10, 01:15 PM
You have put "Unarmed" in the thread title so I am assuming you plan to use natural attacks. What then are you getting from Duskblade 3? - you can only channel a spell through a weapon. Whilst a monk's unarmed strike is treated as a weapon for the purposes of spells that enhance attacks this is not that so Arcane Channeling does not (RAW) work.

silverwolfer
2012-08-10, 01:22 PM
hmm good to know kehrdic, thank you. All the more reason am dumping it for spirit shaman.

Urpriest
2012-08-10, 01:27 PM
Savage species

So your DM has houseruled that you can multiclass out of Treant at level 5, rather than having to stick through the entire class as per normal Savage Species rules? I feel like that's the sort of thing you would have mentioned in the OP.

Provided you're somehow multiclassing out of Treant, level 5 Treant doesn't get you very much over level 4, really. You get +2 Str +2 Con +2 natural armor, but that's not really worth an extra +1 LA. Plus, why not go all the way to 6 to pick up Large size?

silverwolfer
2012-08-10, 01:32 PM
Am somewhat afraid of the fire exposure that also comes with level 6

Urpriest
2012-08-10, 02:23 PM
Am somewhat afraid of the fire exposure that also comes with level 6

Eh, +50% damage from one particular type of energy isn't all that bad. Remember, with the 3.5 update vulnerability doesn't mean you take double damage.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-08-10, 02:29 PM
really you want either fighter for the feats and BAB d10s etc, or maybe bear warrior levels

What

A tree that turns into a bear

WHAT

THIS IS SO AWESOME I FORGOT ABOUT PUNCTUATION COMPLETELY

silverwolfer
2012-08-10, 02:39 PM
lol, If i totally dumped the idea of unarmed combat, what would suggestions be, *no damn bear*

Fire Hurling is a pretty common spell isn't it?

Roguenewb
2012-08-10, 02:50 PM
Um...BEARS ARE AWESOME LETS ALL BE BEARS!

HEY GUYS WANNA BE BEARS WITH ME!

(I had a DM who let me combine the Frenzied Berserker ability to inspire frenzy in others to apply to all my rage/frenzies if I did them all at the same time. I had bear warrior, Wizard rolled a 1 on the save, I turn the wizard into a bear!!!)

Sorry, bear warrior is fun. Fire Hurling isn't a spell. And frankly, Large Size in melee is *awesome*. Well worth +50% fire damage. I'd double fire damage for constant large size (maybe triple it).

Keld Denar
2012-08-10, 02:50 PM
Unarmed is fine. Its one of the few ways to get your natural attacks in on top of iterative attacks. This is a good idea.

silverwolfer
2012-08-10, 02:58 PM
*facepalms* fire hurling as in fireballs, sorched rays, fire flings that sort of thing lol. Now as for bear thing... NO lol.

I am looking into handwraps for the unarmed attack bits

kitcik
2012-08-10, 03:22 PM
I am looking into handwraps for the unarmed attack bits

leafwraps?

Amulet of Natural Attacks

It would be hilarious if you got the flaming burst enhancement.

I second UASS, although branching out to warblade would also be cool. Take Leaping Dragon stance. A tree with a 10'+ vertical leap would be awesome. You can also root yourself in Stone Dragon.

silverwolfer
2012-08-10, 03:35 PM
Heaven Forgive me

Get rid of SS take one more level of treant, get large build

Then get two levels of war hulk ?

((yes am a evil treant by the way_

Gotterdammerung
2012-08-10, 03:53 PM
Whilst a monk's unarmed strike is treated as a weapon for the purposes of spells that enhance attacks this is not that so Arcane Channeling does not (RAW) work.

This is wrong.

It says for the purposes of spells AND EFFECTS that enhance attacks.

Arcane channeling is an EFFECT that enhances your attack. Therefore your unarmed strikes are treated as a manufactured weapon for the purposes of this ability.

You can't just omit words from the rules... that changes what they mean, dude :smallannoyed:.

gorfnab
2012-08-10, 05:34 PM
Warforged Unarmored Body Monk 2/ Druid 3/ Landforged Walker 5/ Sacred Fist 10 - Plant Shape into a Treant and have 9th level spells (text trumps table !!!)

silverwolfer
2012-08-10, 05:45 PM
Warforged Unarmored Body Monk 2/ Druid 3/ Landforged Walker 5/ Sacred Fist 10 - Plant Shape into a Treant and have 9th level spells (text trumps table !!!)

Oh good lord go back under your rock hahha