PDA

View Full Version : Help with Pathfinder THF feats? [Pathfinder]

OverdrivePrime
2012-08-10, 06:12 AM
I'm trying to create a pathfinder THF style ranger, and I'm just drowning in feats. I don't have nearly enough experience with Pathfinder yet to figure out optimal battle feats, though I definitely like the traits and other goodies. In general I feel like I have more feats available (than 3.5), but they're overall somewhat weaker.

Anyway, I'm making a monster fightin' Ranger (guide archetype) who longs to put big, bloody holes in giants, dragons, aberrations and the like. He'll be spending *very* little of his time fighting armed, humanoid opponents, so I don't see much use for the disarm, trip or sunder trees, particularly since most opponents will have a pretty huge CMD.

I'm starting at level 6 and have picked up Power Attack, Cleave and Furious Focus, but I'm not quite sure what do do with the other 3 available feats. Nor do I have any idea what a strong two-hand fightin' ranger would look like at higher levels.

What have you guys found to be the best feats for good ol' Greatsword face-smashery?

We're using all feats available in the Pathfinder SRD.

Thanks for your help! :smallsmile:

Novawurmson
2012-08-10, 08:37 AM
Someone sent me a similar question about my Barbarian guide, so I'll copy pasta some relevant portions.

Fighting with a two-handed weapon is the most efficient fighting style in the game. To do THW, all you need to have is Power Attack, which requires a 13 in Str, and you can pick up first level.

Vital Strike and cousins are fun little feats, especially if you have some way of gaining a size category. Nothing like moving and then swinging a Large Greatsword for 3d6+1.5 Str+modifiers+3d6. Even better for you than a Barbarian, because Rangers don't get a pounce option like Barbarians (to my knowledge).

Furious Focus is nice; get that Power Attack damage for no penalty (especially early game).

Coordinated Charge is amazing at level 10+ if there's another charger in your party; immediate action full attack.

Always consider staples like Improved Initiative, Toughness, Weapon Focus, Improved Critical, Iron Will, Combat Reflexes, and Lunge (if you can't get reach or a size boost somewhere else).

Also, take a look at your racial feats. Some races (cough Orcs cough) get much better racial feats than other.

Cleave is decent if you're never going to hit level 6; it does allow you to get two hits in a round. I personally don't like it because of the lowered AC, but YMMV.

Have you read the Switch Hitter (https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1OI2lQ_FPUpnXD4i3sBLgzvgyOV9l43gKL0JM83co7 iI)? Probably the most popular Ranger build for PF; basically, you use most of your feats from leveling up for melee combat, and your bonus feats (which you can ignore prerequisites on) for ranged combat, and end up being pretty decent at both.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-08-10, 09:35 AM
I am building a somewhat similar ranger for pathfinder. I picked up a glaive, a spiked gauntlet, armor spikes, and a longsword.
For feats I took combat reflexes, power attack, furious focus, cleave, great cleave, dodge, mobility, spring attack, and maybe lunge or whirlwind attack. I also took 4 levels of Shadowdancer.
The Shadowdancer is a bit beside the point, the point being to look at reach weapons as well as two handed weapon feats... It will help eliminate some of the advantage large creatures have, namely reach.
My build would also prevent full attack retaliations; however I built him as a sort of mercenary/bounty hunter. (favored enemy: human, to help reflect that.) HiPS also helps prevent retaliation (can't hit you if they can't see you), the summon shadow provides STR damage, and shadow jump provides extra mobility. Combine with longstrider wands or spells, hunters howl/ instant enemy spells/wands, and wands of darkness and light to provide dim light/shadows.

About half of these suggestions are vagaries of my own build (which you may not be interested in) but there is also generic advice that you hopefully find useful, or at least as a place to start. :smallwink:

OverdrivePrime
2012-08-11, 02:45 AM
Nice! Many thanks to both of you!

I'm going human, and I've found out that me and the druid are going to be the only melee warriors in the party, so I'm going to bulk up on some hit-point feats.

One of the really nice 1st level ranger spells looks great for 2-handed weapons - Lead Blades treats your weapon like one size category higher. You don't get the advantage of reach, but... there's nothing barring a friend from casting enlarge person on you and then you casting heavy blades... leading to you swinging a *huge* greatsword. Muahahaha...

Alefiend
2012-08-11, 04:31 AM
If you're planning to use Vital Strike against large opponents, you might also consider Death or Glory (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/death-or-glory-combat) and Devastating Strike. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/devastating-strike-combat) Then again, you might start getting bored of all the one-hit kills. :smalltongue:

OverdrivePrime
2012-08-11, 07:37 AM
Okay, that's pure awesome. Thanks Alefiend! I'm definitely going to run with that. :smallbiggrin:

Novawurmson
2012-08-11, 08:48 AM
I would say Devastating Strike over Death or Glory. Just my two cents.