PDA

View Full Version : Templates and Planar Ally

Baalthazaq
2012-08-10, 08:40 AM
I'd have assumed there would be something preventing applying templates to a planar ally (especially for a thaumaturge's Planar Cohort), the same way you can't apply templates to Druid Shifting.

Looking through it though I can't find any RAW restrictions. I know it's down to deity (i.e. DM) choice of what you get, but is there anything stopping you from theoretically summoning an Aleax (BoED) for example, or a Half-Celestial <insert something ridiculous here>, or a Succubus with the Monster of Legend(MM2) template?

Flickerdart
2012-08-10, 08:43 AM
You can call one, but it doesn't mean it will come. Aleaxes, for one, have better things to do than serve you, and legendary monsters probably have some kind of important job already assigned to them.

Baalthazaq
2012-08-10, 09:33 AM
Well that depends on the scenario.

You know a particularly malicious head jailer/torturer (Jack Smith) has captured your party, as a personal affront to your deity.

You ask for an Aleax of Jack Smith.

I don't see that being a problem.

Roguenewb
2012-08-10, 09:51 AM
I asked a question a while back *with an identical title* but for planar binding. Yeah, it turns out templates are a-okay. Go for half-celestial feral versions of normal people... might be fun

Flickerdart
2012-08-10, 10:08 AM
I asked a question a while back *with an identical title* but for planar binding. Yeah, it turns out templates are a-okay. Go for half-celestial feral versions of normal people... might be fun
Planar Binding can't invent creatures for you. If there are no half-celestial feral versions of people (which there are not, unless Planar Binding is suddenly permitted to reach into a parallel universe where anything is possible) then trying to grab a half-celestial feral version of Bob the Mayor will simply fail since the spell has no valid target.

Baalthazaq
2012-08-10, 02:40 PM

Aha! I had looked for a similar thread before creating my own, but evidently I missed it. Found it now and had a quick read-through.

I'm not looking at anything that will irritate my DM, but want to be sure I know what to ask for, especially for a permanent ally.

Urpriest
2012-08-10, 03:00 PM
Remember, Planar Cohort is still limited by ECL, just like a regular cohort. So while normal Planar Ally can be heavily abused, Planar Cohort is really just a weaker form of Leadership.