PDA

View Full Version : Scout Flanker, possible?

Zedicius
2012-08-10, 09:11 AM
I read the scout handbook the other day and got quite interested in the class. I'm wondering if it's possible to put it in a mobility twf role instead of the usual long range destroyer. We're playing with new players, though so I'm not looking for a build that isn't overly optimized and four different classes added too it.

A dip in barbarian seems like a good choice and opens up pounce (snow tiger berserker as I want to keep the movement speed) though what I'm stuck at is the rest of my feats. Weapon finesse is a must and I was considering Lightning mace at first, but light maces are bad crit weapons and weapon proficiency feels like a lost feat. Though it has the potential to increase damage output, Vexing flanker seems a lot more reliable.

Is there a feat other then called shot that allows me to cripple a target as well? Anyone got anything else to add?

Or would a rogue / fighter still be better at this sort of thing? >_>

Gwendol
2012-08-10, 09:39 AM
If you go whirling frenzy barbarian you get to do more attacks when pouncing and raging, but you will have to work out a way to avoid AoO's as you move about. Max out tumble is a given.
I wouldn't worry too much about crit fishing and be more focused on ability to hit with every swing (and full attack/trigger skirmish).

Another option would be rogue/swashbuckler (going for twf daring outlaw) and use flank to trigger SA, but that means a lot of other considerations as well. What it does though is open up to feats like Craven and Staggering Strike.

Flickerdart
2012-08-10, 10:16 AM
Critfishing is pointless for you because Skirmish damage doesn't multiply on a crit.

I've had great success in the past with a natural weapon based Swift Hunter. Spirit Lion Barbarian 1/Ranger 1/Scout 4 gives you a nice start - at 6th, you take Swift Hunter with your regular feat and Improved Skirmish with your Scout bonus feat, and thereafter advance Ranger (Mystic and Wildshape, of course). Turn into a nasty beastie and then tear someone's head off! Pow!

Darrin
2012-08-10, 11:20 AM
I read the scout handbook the other day and got quite interested in the class. I'm wondering if it's possible to put it in a mobility twf role instead of the usual long range destroyer. We're playing with new players, though so I'm not looking for a build that isn't overly optimized and four different classes added too it.

The typical Swift Hunter build isn't too complicated:

Ranger 2/Scout 4/Ranger +14
Race: Human, Azurin, or Strongheart Halfling
Feats:
1) Travel Devotion (CChamp), Combat Reflexes, Track
2) TWF
3) Travel Devotion x2, Endurance
6) Swift Hunter, Improved Skirmish (CScoundrel)
9) Travel Devotion x3
10) Improved TWF
12) Double Hit (MiniHB)
15) Robilar's Gambit (PHBII), Greater TWF
18) Travel Devotion x4

Weapon finesse is a must and I was considering Lightning mace at first, but light maces are bad crit weapons and weapon proficiency feels like a lost feat.

You can skip taking Weapon Finesse via feycraft weapons (DMGII p. 275). Lightning Maces is only worth it if you can get your hands on some Aptitude kukris (+1 enhancement, Tome of Battle). Scout may not be the best chassis for a crit-hunter build if you're also trying to optimize TWF + mobility.

Though it has the potential to increase damage output, Vexing flanker seems a lot more reliable.

Vexing flanker does very little to increase output. If I'm looking for flanking, I'd rather dip Swordsage or pick up Martial Study: Cloak of Deception + Martial Stance: Island of Blades.

Is there a feat other then called shot that allows me to cripple a target as well? Anyone got anything else to add?

Could you specify what you mean by "cripple a target"? Are you trying to bleed out HP, ability damage, reduce movement, or stack on debuffs? While there are a variety of [Ambush] feats with various effects, most of those require sneak attack or sudden strike rather than skirmish.